converting DVDs to laserdics

50,280 Views | 245 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jack Ruby
ac04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anyone have any experience with this? i hope to convert all my DVDs to laserdisc very soon but i'm having a little trouble finding information about how to accomplish this. obviously i'm not the first person to have this idea so hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

tia
SpicewoodAg
AG
Why on earth do you want to do this? I'm not aware of a laser disc burner. Who wants 12 inch discs instead of 4.5 inch discs?
ac04
well obviously i do. a while back i invested in a top-of-the-line laserdisc player and i'd like to be able to enjoy it. any suggestions are appreciated.
kb2001
AG
Your top of the line laserdisc player is probably not as good as an average DVD player of today.

But, if you want to do it, go ahead. I've never heard of a laserdisc burner, and google revealed nothing to me. Sorry I can't help
SpicewoodAg
AG
Today's $59 DVD player is probably better than Pioneer's $1000 laser disc player. You'll spend far more money and time trying to do what you asked for. I also do not think there EVER was a laser disc burner. I think laser discs were stamped.

Savour your vintage device and treasure it for what it is.
TexasAggie_97
AG
Laserdisk...chuckle...chuckle.
ac04
please save the flame posts regarding laserdisc. it is a great technology that was under-utilized. to say that a $1000 laserdisc player is worse than a $59 DVD player is just plain crazy. helpful suggestions only, please.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
troll
Garrelli 5000
AG
Can't be done, they are stamped. It's nothing more than a fancy record, pits and valleys.

Also, they stopped making discs in Japan around 2001, and in the U.S. around 1999 or 2000.
ac04
how do i find a machine that can stamp the discs?
SpicewoodAg
AG
ac04 - it was a great technology for the time. It was the first video media to have "AC3" audio (early name for Dolby Digital). To say it was under-utilized though is a stretch. The discs were expensive, as big as LPs, and the expensive players prevented mass market adoption. So it was a leader of a very small market (competing with the RCA video disc) and showed that laser based media was the way to go. But I bet by EVERY criteria, measurable or subjective, today's cheap DVD player with component outputs or better provides more pixels, higher resolution, better error correction, and better audio.
Ulysses90
AG
quote:
to say that a $1000 laserdisc player is worse than a $59 DVD player is just plain crazy.

No crazier than to claim that one of these

is superior to one of these

just because you paid $1000+ for it back in the day. No laserdisk player ever made is capable of producing a picture of the same HD resolution as the most basic progressive scan DVD plaver. Same goes for the old audio encoding standards used on laserdisks.

Want to buy a really sweet Amiga? It blows away Macs and PC-ATs?
Hagen95
AG
quote:
to say that a $1000 laserdisc player is worse than a $59 DVD player is just plain crazy. helpful suggestions only, please.

I will sell you a $2500 8 track player to listen to while you set up your $1000 laserdisc player.
ac04
quote:
No laserdisk player ever made is capable of producing a picture of the same HD resolution as the most basic progressive scan DVD plaver.

the most basic progressive scan DVD players don't produce HD resolution.

pwn3d
ORAggieFan
Was watching season one of Soprano's last month and they are stealing DVD players, talking about how much nicer than their laser disc players DVDs are.

Made me realize how much has changed since Soprano's started.
Jason_Ag98
AG
If you are thinking you can take a digital source (DVD), convert it to an analog format (LaserDisc), and get something that looks better than the original you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You'd be better off getting an upsampling DVD player.

If this is a troll, good one!
Hagen95
AG
quote:
If this is a troll, good one!

ac04
i'm not necessarily hoping for it to be better than DVDs. some people prefer the way records sound vs CDs. i simply enjoy laserdisc. i don't understand why that's so hard to believe.
ORAggieFan
quote:
some people prefer the way records sound vs CDs. i simply enjoy laserdisc.
But these people don't want to record a CD onto a record, they want the original.
devastor
AG
OMG, this is the best troll thread ever!

AC04 you are so freakin' joking. Yeah, and I'm converting all my e-mails to hand-written letters!

I seriously cannot stop laughing my co-workers are asking me what is wrong....
ac04
but if those people did want to record a CD to a record, what right is it of yours to dismiss that as ridiculous? it is my personal preference to watch laserdiscs. call me old-school or whatever you want but i just want to know if its possible to convert my DVDs to laserdisc or not.
AggieFrog
AG
AggieFrog
AG
SpicewoodAg
AG
Good overview below of LD including comparisons to VHS and DVD. Not many advantages unless you believe lower resolution analog video is somehow better. The fact that the output was composite, not even s-video, makes playback quality highly dependent on the TV's comb filter.

No mention of recordable media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

[This message has been edited by SpicewoodAg (edited 1/16/2007 2:20p).]
ac04
thank you spicewood. the rest of you are jerks.
akaggie05
AG
quote:
how do i find a machine that can stamp the discs?

They're probably all junked and dismantled by now, not to mention that they were probably millions of dollars and the size of a small house...
akaggie05
AG
Just noticed the thread title... laserdics, lol
TexasAggie_02
AG
man i hope that the Xbox v. 2 comes with a built in laserdisc drive, that would be sweet.
SpicewoodAg
AG
ac04 - I'm sure a LD stamping machine is a SERIOUS machine. I mean it has to deal with plastic, super-thin aluminum, etc. I doubt if it is something that fits in a closet. I cannot imagine many (if any) working machines exist in the USA. Maybe Japan.

You might try AVSforums. Lots of gearheads there. You might be famous if you do this. Just don't throw your 401K away trying.
ac04
with as many DVDs as i have i am looking at it as an investment, so i'm not that worried about the cost. i will try those other forums you suggested, as you're obviously the only person here that has any clue what they're talking about.
akaggie05
AG
If you want an awesome investment, I've got a few boxes of Beta tapes that I could sell you...
adamsbq06
AG
i think they sell Laserdisks at halfprice books, you can pick some up there as well as a $5 COPY OF MADDEN 96
TheDro
Uh why not get a blu-ray burner for your PC and just backup your DVD collection on several BD's and play them back on a PS3, or go the HD-DVD route and use the HD-DVD addon for the X360.
ac04
if i wanted blu-ray or HD-DVD then i'd ask about that. i like laserdisc. wtf is so hard to understand about that?
Rex Racer
AG
This is one of the greatest trolls ever!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.