Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,612,044 Views | 45385 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by maroon barchetta
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"If you love what Star Wars could be, more than what it already is, you don't actually love Star Wars"

What a great video. Admittedly, my view of the prequels is very much in line with JJ, so...yeah.
YouBet
AG
Great video. All that does is further cement me in the camp that the ST never happened and is not canon in my eyes. What an absolute garbage trilogy. The most maddening arc in that trilogy is what Rian Johnson did to Luke. Just a travesty.

I continue to hope all of these new shows continue to make content such that the ST essentially becomes non-canon even if through unofficial consensus.
YouBet
AG
In other news, I completed Rebels S2 yesterday. Surprised to see Maul at the end. I guess he left being the leader of the Crimson Sun(?) sometime since Solo?
The Collective
AG
YouBet said:

In other news, I completed Rebels S2 yesterday. Surprised to see Maul at the end. I guess he left being the leader of the Crimson Sun(?) sometime since Solo?

I'm not sure that needs spoilers since it has been out for years, but I get it. It is 7 years between the end of Solo and that episode of Rebels. Not sure how much of this was covered in the episode, but the story was that Maul went to Malachor seeking the weapon and became frustrated that he could not open the temple. His ship was wrecked, so he was stuck there. When he went to Malachor remains a mystery unless there is some other media that has addressed that time period. Also, animated Maul is great - really enjoyed the voice actor for him.

Also, since you just watched it... the inquisitors flying around like inspector gadget is one of the worst things Dave Filoni has ever created. I celebrate in joy when the one falls to his death trying to fly away.
YouBet
AG
I Have Spoken said:

YouBet said:

I'm not sure that needs spoilers since it has been out for years, but I get it. It is 7 years between the end of Solo and that episode of Rebels. Not sure how much of this was covered in the episode, but the story was that Maul went to Malachor seeking the weapon and became frustrated that he could not open the temple. His ship was wrecked, so he was stuck there. When he went to Malachor remains a mystery unless there is some other media that has addressed that time period. Also, animated Maul is great - really enjoyed the voice actor for him.

Also, since you just watched it... the inquisitors flying around like inspector gadget is one of the worst things Dave Filoni has ever created. I celebrate in joy when the one falls to his death trying to fly away.
They did cover that in the episode so maybe him getting stuck on a mission to get a power artifact is good enough. It would be something a criminal lord would want.

Yes, I agree. WTF was that on the flying saber crap? That's been the dumbest thing on an otherwise pretty damn good show. It wasn't as noticeable until this 4th Inquisitor was introduced. He's the one who dies trying to fly with a damaged light saber. I laughed. Maybe he realized it was dumb while making that episode and killed him off immediately.

I did watch the pilot of S3 and I'm not sure why, but Ezra looks absolutely stupid with this bowl haircut. WTH on that as well. It's extremely distracting. However, offset by Thrawn!!!!!!
The Collective
AG
I just looked up the episode list for season 3. What a great ride that season was. Man, I'm a bit jealous you are watching it for the first time.
Ulrich
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Keegan99 said:

In the dissection if the ST, the author makes the point that Lucas' movies are really six distinct classical storytelling themes and frameworks, executed within the Star Wars universe.

Part of what makes Rogue One work is that it accomplishes the same objective. I'm not sure how one would classify it - good ol' fashioned war movie? - but it's unlike what we've seen before, and not in a hamfisted, disrespectful "subverting expectations" way.
I've always thought of R1 as a war movie in the same vein as The Guns of Navarone.

For me, Rogue One is the third best Star Wars movie ever (behind only The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars). And to the point made above that we already know what happens to this group, well, alrighty then. That's great, but does that automatically mean they don't have an interesting story to tell with that group?

That video breaking down the problems with the sequel trilogy is spot-on. I liked the point made about these new movies avoiding politics, which seems to be one of the bigger complaints about the prequels, right before pointing out a political sequence in the original movie.

All my issues with R1 could be solved by replacing the Death Star plans with any other mcguffin and distancing it just a bit from the mainline story. Then it's a slightly weird but pretty good heist/war movie set in the SW universe.

The OT moved forward. The PT, Solo, and R1 are all backstory; the ST starts by undoing all the character and plot arcs from the OT and then framing everything in terms of how thematically similar or different it is to the OT. Three original movies, eight movies looking backwards.

Actually, if R1 were completely unchanged but the other 7 post-2000 movies were more their own thing, that might solve it as well.
cbr
AG
Ulrich said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Keegan99 said:

In the dissection if the ST, the author makes the point that Lucas' movies are really six distinct classical storytelling themes and frameworks, executed within the Star Wars universe.

Part of what makes Rogue One work is that it accomplishes the same objective. I'm not sure how one would classify it - good ol' fashioned war movie? - but it's unlike what we've seen before, and not in a hamfisted, disrespectful "subverting expectations" way.
I've always thought of R1 as a war movie in the same vein as The Guns of Navarone.

For me, Rogue One is the third best Star Wars movie ever (behind only The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars). And to the point made above that we already know what happens to this group, well, alrighty then. That's great, but does that automatically mean they don't have an interesting story to tell with that group?

That video breaking down the problems with the sequel trilogy is spot-on. I liked the point made about these new movies avoiding politics, which seems to be one of the bigger complaints about the prequels, right before pointing out a political sequence in the original movie.

All my issues with R1 could be solved by replacing the Death Star plans with any other mcguffin and distancing it just a bit from the mainline story. Then it's a slightly weird but pretty good heist/war movie set in the SW universe.

The OT moved forward. The PT, Solo, and R1 are all backstory; the ST starts by undoing all the character and plot arcs from the OT and then framing everything in terms of how thematically similar or different it is to the OT. Three original movies, eight movies looking backwards.

Actually, if R1 were completely unchanged but the other 7 post-2000 movies were more their own thing, that might solve it as well.
I am stunned that someone finds serious fault with r1- what is your issue again?
RebAg13
AG
The Death Star plan is the point of the entire movie. Its not a random mcguffin they came up with.
Malachi Constant
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Couldn't agree more. I agree with every single point he makes, yet he explains everything more succinctly than I ever could.

I only recently discovered his channel, and all of his videos are equally well done. He only has 7 videos and it's probably the best SW based channel I've come across. (I bet this guy is about to blow up.)

Here's another great one, which is a quick watch.

Awesome video. And you're right, that guy is about to blow up. The video on the sequel anti-trilogy is already his third most watched video and it's only been out for a day. His videos on Luke and Palpatine have more views, but they're been out for 6 months and a year, respectively.
jokershady
AG
Rogue One is the Citizen Kane of Sci-fi. Prove me wrong.

Spoiler: you can't prove me wrong.
Ulrich
I was already bored with every Star Wars movie being backstory. It wasn't really a flaw with how R1 was put together, it was that they decided to expend all that effort making more backstory.

My same issue with Solo actually, I thought they did a fine job assembling a movie but it was still another chance at a new Star Wars movie wasted explaining the backstory of a character who was already brilliantly characterized with a fulfilling arc.
jeffk
AG
jokershady said:

Rogue One is the Citizen Kane of Sci-fi. Prove me wrong.

Spoiler: you can't prove me wrong.

Lord, I hate Citizen Kane... so boring.
YouBet
AG
Ulrich said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Keegan99 said:

You've acknowledged it here. R1 is not the issue; it's the other movies. You are letting the mixed at best quality of those other movies taint R1.

I consider R1 essential Star Wars viewing. It's one of the better backstory movies of any series that has been made, IMO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But R1 was full of brand new characters, each with their own respective arcs within that movie.

I could see the complaint of knowing the ending ahead of time, but the "how" was still a mystery. Plus not knowing their individual fates.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You also have to respect the fact that they had the most iconic villain of all-time at their disposal, and used him so sparingly. It makes his two scenes that much more impactful.
maroon barchetta
Rogue One Vader is best Vader and it's not close.
YouBet
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Best movie Vader for sure.

Rebels Vader is something else. You can see his true power and skill in that.
Ulrich
Brian Earl Spilner said:

But R1 was full of brand new characters, each with their own respective arcs within that movie.

I could see the complaint of knowing the ending ahead of time, but the "how" was still a mystery. Plus not knowing their individual fates.

It's less about knowing the ending, if it was that, I wouldn't have rewatched the OT a hundred times. It's just getting bored with a franchise. They've got a whole universe to work with but every movie is about the OT either explicitly or as commentary.
Wheatables02
AG
TCTTS said:

The Approaching Storm. That was the one. And there's the wheat!

I am not the Wheat that you are looking for.
cbr
AG
R1 was the most brilliant interweaving of fan brilliance into an existing movie icon that has ever been done. You can tell it wasn't down by some asshat director or Disney exec.
TCTTS
AG
With all of this Rogue One love - deservedly so - it's worth pointing out that Tony Gilory, who came in and essentially saved/rewrote/reshot R1, is also in charge of Andor. Gilory wrote and directed one of the best movies of the 2000's, Michael Clayton, wrote most of the Bourne movies, and is not at all a Star Wars fanboy. To that end, I think Andor is going to feel very different from The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett - probably a lot more cinematic and "adult" and obviously more in-line with the look/feel/vibe of Rogue One, which I could not be more excited for. Andor might not have quite the fan-servicey highs of Mando or BOBF, but I think overall it'll be a better, more consistent series throughout.
maroon barchetta
I really enjoyed Michael Clayton.

"You killed me???"
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I mean, I'd love if this were true, but I'd caution against hoping for an "adult" feeling Star Wars. If anything, Disney and Kennedy have worked really hard to make it accessible to younger generations. I think this is why they've had trouble -- they want to honor the long-time fans while bringing new fans into the fold, and thats just tough. BUT I think it's clear that they think Star Wars is ultimately for kids. Whether thats true or not, I don't want to debate, but it seems clear to me we won't see anything too dark or deep in the Star Wars content we get for the time being.
TCTTS
AG
To me, Rogue One is "adult," at least relatively speaking in the Star Wars franchise. And all indications are that Andor will be almost identical in tone to Rogue One. IMO, the tone of, say, The Mandalorian is far more kid-focused than the tone of Rogue One. That's all I'm saying.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I hope so, but I won't be excited about it until I see it for myself haha
twilly
AG
Rumor out there saying that Rupert Friend is playing an inquisitor in the Obi-Wan series.

For story see https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Dude looks like Orlando Bloom's kid brother

The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

To me, Rogue One is "adult," at least relatively speaking in the Star Wars franchise. And all indications are that Andor will be almost identical in tone to Rogue One. IMO, the tone of, say, The Mandalorian is far more kid-focused than the tone of Rogue One. That's all I'm saying.

I am looking forward to exploring this comment.

Or this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Of course the hallway scene is an all timer, but how many movie characters are worthy of this kind of entrance?

The music and shadow silhouette is almost all you need.
TCTTS
jokershady
AG
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I can't wait for Andor! But I'm really looking forward to Obi-wan more
YouBet
AG
veryfuller said:

I mean, I'd love if this were true, but I'd caution against hoping for an "adult" feeling Star Wars. If anything, Disney and Kennedy have worked really hard to make it accessible to younger generations. I think this is why they've had trouble -- they want to honor the long-time fans while bringing new fans into the fold, and thats just tough. BUT I think it's clear that they think Star Wars is ultimately for kids. Whether thats true or not, I don't want to debate, but it seems clear to me we won't see anything too dark or deep in the Star Wars content we get for the time being.
R1: literally almost everyone in R1 dies. Like, the entire squadron dies. Galen dies. The main robot dies.

Everyone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Happy 90th birthday to the GOAT.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 1083 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.