Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,612,081 Views | 45385 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by maroon barchetta
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Nothing official yet, but when a trade like The Hollywood Reporter is confident enough to print it, it's basically a done deal. They're almost never wrong.

jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lot of people starting to run the Obi-Wan in May story, but still nothing official right?

Still, where there's smoke, there's fire.

I called for a trailer as soon as Boba Fett ends. Fingers crossed.
30 million dollars from SlicedBread says hello
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No idea what that means.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No idea what that means.
Listen to Jimbo's statement from last Wednesday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ahh.
TCTTS
AG
tk for tu juan
Star Wars: A New Hope Radio Drama complied into one YouTube video (assuming it may have been posted before)

jokershady
AG
Does it seem weird that they've announced filing the second season when not only the first season hasn't been released….but not even announced when it's being released? Or did I miss that?
TCTTS
AG
It's been officially announced as second half of 2022. We just don't have an exact date yet.

If Obi-Wan is May, then I assume She-Hulk will be July-ish, then Andor maybe right after that, in August/September?
AliasMan02
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Star Wars: A New Hope Radio Drama complied into one YouTube video (assuming it may have been posted before)

Can't listen now but did they cut out the credits in each episode so it's continuous?
tk for tu juan
So far only heard the transition from ep1 to ep2. He edited out the credits and used parts of Williams score to provide a smooth transition.

The description mentioned the original total length was 6.5 hours, and the video is just under 5 hours. Looks like he also has ESB and RotJ versions
AliasMan02
AG
Awesome. Getting the radio drama on cassette as a kid was a huge gift. No telling how many times I listened to it.

Also a rare glimpse back at Lucas when it wasn't all about merch. He sold the rights to NPR or whoever for $1 if I remember correctly.
The Porkchop Express
AG
When I worked a desk job downtown, my brother gave me all 3 of the OT radio serials on CD. I played the heck out of them commuting back and forth. The extra scenes are so great to hear.
Red Five
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Also a rare glimpse back at Lucas when it wasn't all about merch. He sold the rights to NPR or whoever for $1 if I remember correctly.

I doubt that is an indication that it wasn't all about merch. Lucas famously declined to take a higher payout for making Star Wars and negotiating for merchandise rights instead. Anything that increased the popularity of Star Wars, such as widely distributed radio plays, probably put a bunch of money directly into his pocket.
maroon barchetta
I had no idea this radio drama even existed.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Ditto
AliasMan02
AG
maroon barchetta said:

It's so good and lots of little extra tidbits. Like, the way Tantive is pronounced originates from this drama because it was the first place to ever be spoken aloud.
The Collective
AG
Man, I forgot about that radio drama. Funny, I've been trying to figure out for several years who Hank the Cowdog's voice reminded me of from my childhood... turns out it was Uncle Owen from this dramatization.
Quad Dog
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fantastic video.

TCTTS
AG
That was easily one of the best and smartest commentaries on the sequel trilogy I've ever seen. Just so, so good. Only problem is that now, after all these years, my blood is somehow boiling even more, re: what Abrams and Johnson did and managed to run into the ground. The bit about TLJ being anti-everything, and thus the complete opposite of its "not by fighting what we hate but saving what we love" theme, was so brilliant. And then everything about all of Abrams' screwups was so incredibly spot-on as well. All of it presented so succinctly, and even-handey, without coming across as whiney at all.

That was honestly so smart and insightful that it was weirdly inspiring and even made me want to keep writing tonight, when I thought I was done for the day.

Thanks for sharing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Couldn't agree more. I agree with every single point he makes, yet he explains everything more succinctly than I ever could.

I only recently discovered his channel, and all of his videos are equally well done. He only has 7 videos and it's probably the best SW based channel I've come across. (I bet this guy is about to blow up.)

Here's another great one, which is a quick watch.

Ulrich
I ran across those videos last night because for some reason I've been watching a bunch of analysis of the prequels and sequels. There's a lot of interesting analysis of constructing stories when it comes to figuring out why an unlimited budget and access to talent resulted in 6 movies ranging from mediocre to bad.

This particular guy is a higher on Lucas than I can really understand, but he does have a new perspective or at least a new way of putting things.
Ulrich
I think the biggest problem with the disney Star Wars movies is that they are too self-conscious. Everything they do is through the lense of how they are perceived relative to other movies, so they end up being structured around the references rather than the story.

That goes for TFA spastically rebuilding ANH just as much as TLJ spending all its time trying to prove how much smarter it is than the yokels who like Star Wars.
Ulrich
Right now my opinion of Disney Star Wars is:
TFA: Fun nostalgia that makes me sad because all the hints and teasers never went anywhere

TLJ: I don't think I'll ever be able to rewatch this. It's a bad movie flawlessly done, with contempt for the audience bleeding through the screen.

TROS: I haven't rewatched it yet, but I probably will. It's the shiniest "so bad it's good" movie ever, albeit with too much sarcasm aimed at TLJ.

All in all, the ST is the most expensive rap battle (Abrams v Johnson) ever filmed.
Ulrich
Solo is a good movie that never should have been made, it's just a series of "hey remember this?"

Rogue One is a good movie that never should have been made, it's a goofy telling a story we already know the outcome.

Remember when narratives used to move forward in time instead of dwelling endlessly on the past?
Keegan99
AG
Excellent. Thank you.

Makes me appreciate what Lucas did a lot more, too.
maroon barchetta
Ulrich said:

Solo is a good movie that never should have been made, it's just a series of "hey remember this?"

Rogue One is a good movie that never should have been made, it's a goofy telling a story we already know the outcome.

Remember when narratives used to move forward in time instead of dwelling endlessly on the past?

Rogue One might be the best movie in the SW universe.
The Porkchop Express
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Ulrich said:

Rogue One might be the best movie in the SW universe.
Please don't praise the new films here, it's disgusting.
The Collective
AG
Ulrich said:

Rogue One is a good movie that never should have been made

cbr
AG
Ulrich said:

I think the biggest problem with the disney Star Wars movies is that they are too self-conscious. Everything they do is through the lense of how they are perceived relative to other movies, so they end up being structured around the references rather than the story.

That goes for TFA spastically rebuilding ANH just as much as TLJ spending all its time trying to prove how much smarter it is than the yokels who like Star Wars.
The problem is they are sheer garbage and intentionally so, made by people so untalented they couldnt even make their own garbage points well.
Keegan99
AG
In the dissection of the ST, the author makes the point that Lucas' movies are really six distinct classical storytelling themes and frameworks, executed within the Star Wars universe.

Part of what makes Rogue One work is that it accomplishes the same objective. I'm not sure how one would classify it - good ol' fashioned war movie? - but it's unlike what we've seen before, and not in a hamfisted, disrespectful "subverting expectations" way.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Keegan99 said:

In the dissection if the ST, the author makes the point that Lucas' movies are really six distinct classical storytelling themes and frameworks, executed within the Star Wars universe.

Part of what makes Rogue One work is that it accomplishes the same objective. I'm not sure how one would classify it - good ol' fashioned war movie? - but it's unlike what we've seen before, and not in a hamfisted, disrespectful "subverting expectations" way.
I've always thought of R1 as a war movie in the same vein as The Guns of Navarone.

For me, Rogue One is the third best Star Wars movie ever (behind only The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars). And to the point made above that we already know what happens to this group, well, alrighty then. That's great, but does that automatically mean they don't have an interesting story to tell with that group?

That video breaking down the problems with the sequel trilogy is spot-on. I liked the point made about these new movies avoiding politics, which seems to be one of the bigger complaints about the prequels, right before pointing out a political sequence in the original movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Speaking of Rogue One, rumor has it Lucas is involved in the new Andor series, and LF is kind of treating it as an "anchor" show for the Star Wars television universe, as it were.

Saw this from a live stream on Star Wars Theory so I don't know how accurate that is, but it would explain how a S2 was fast-tracked even before S1 has started its marketing.

It's both cool and unexpected that that would be "the" show, but the cool thing is it's during the height of the empire, and we'll be able to see the early days of the rebellion, maybe even Leia and Alderaan.

And I'm sure plenty of other characters and storylines will intersect and overlap with each other, ie. from Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, etc.

I'm definitely more intrigued than I was when the show was first announced.
First Page Last Page
Page 1082 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.