Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,610 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Think of it as the teaser to the teaser.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Their article links to a story at Deadline, who *is* highly credible, and where the tip comes from.
So that announcement is that a slate of movies could be announced Thursday right?

From the Deadline article...

Quote:

Disney on December 10 will announce its upcoming slate. While the studio will solidify what Deadline revealed recently that the Tom Hanks-starrer Pinocchio, Peter Pan and the Emma Stone-starrer Cruella will bypass movie theaters to become Disney+ releases the studio will also announce new projects from Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar that will encompass TV as well as theatrical.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/warnermedia-legendary-challenge-dune-godzilla-vs-kong-streamer-battles-looming-1234651283/

Granted, "Lucasfilm" could technically mean a single announcement about, say, the new Indiana Jones movie, but that's not likely, and Deadline is as reliable as they come and seems confident in their reporting.

Knowing that, in terms of Star Wars, the only title announcement I would put money on is an announcement of an Ahsoka live-action Disney+ series, but who knows what else could be in store, if anything.
AliasMan02
AG
I feel certain we'll see a Solo series. Just not sure if it will be part of this announcement or not.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Finally finished Rebels. Not quite the same emotional punch as the end of tcw but still good. So is the consensus on the epilogue with Sabine is that it isn't necessarily right after Endor?
dave94
AG
Edit: wrong thread!
Dro07
AG
CW went over the top with the season that just came out. rebels ending was better compared to the two until recently.

Leaning towards the epilogue was left open and I'm going with it taking place after Mando for the Sabine Ahsoka scene.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Was there an thing discussed in tcw as to why ahsoka uses two blades? Did she have them from when we first met her?
ja86
AG
She fought Asajj Ventress and liked her fighting style so adopted the 2 light sabers. I like how when she lost one of her light sabers in the Mandalorian episode, she reverted to her original fighting style.
Duncan Idaho
It follows her dance with the dark side. When she became tempted, she used 2, when found peace, she went back to one. Now she is out of balance with the force and back to two.

*No idea if that is true.
MandoArms
I think it happens after this season of the Mandalorian.
IG: mando_arms
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sounds like a High Republic animated series is one of the announcements tomorrow. No word on lightsaber width yet.
TCTTS
AG
I don't have a NYT subscription. Anyone else?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/09/business/media/disney-plus-new-movies.html
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
In other words, a lot of big announcements, potentially.
twilly
AG
I don't have a sub to NYT, but here is a little more quoting the same article:
TCTTS
twilly
AG
I was able to open the NYT article right up.
No paywall.

Only bit about Star Wars was the "significant expansion" part. No details on whether movies or streaming series.
TCTTS
AG
I think every IP address gets three free articles per month and I've probably used up all of mine already. Either way, good to know and thanks for reading. Tomorrow should be fun.
TCTTS
AG
Everything we know of that's potentially on the table for tomorrow...

• Title announcement and/or release window and/or footage for the Cassian Andor series (which has been filming for at least a month now)
  • Title announcement and/or release window for the Obi-Wan series
  • Confirmation of a 2021 release for season three of The Mandalorian
  • Announcement of any potential spin-off series of The Mandalorian (for Ahsoka, Bo-Katan, etc.)
  • Announcement of any potential spin-off series of Solo
  • Announcement of whatever the Leslye Headland (Russian Doll) series will be (which we know is female-centric and explores a "fresh" part of the Star Wars timeline)
  • Announcement of whatever the Rain Johnson-directed movie(s) will be
  • Announcement of whatever the J.D. Dillard-directed movie will be
  • Announcement of whatever the Taika Waititi-directed movie will be
  • Announcement of whatever the Kevin Feige-produced movie will be
  • Announcement of whatever the December 2023 movie will be, if none of the above
  • Release window and/or footage for The Bad Batch animated series
  • Announcement of a High Republic animated series

... with room of course for some surprises as well.
YouBet
AG
Quote:

Announcement of whatever the Rain Johnson-directed movie(s) will be

Completely forgot about this. Decent chance that will end up being highly anti-climatic and buried which is ironic since at one time they were the only Star Wars property even on the known docket.

What is being speculated that they are tackling?
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, at this point, I doubt the Johnson movies ever happen. There's been zero chatter for at least a year now, a lot has changed in that year with the shift to streaming, he's apparently busy writing a Knives Out sequel etc. I could be wrong, and they could announce something tomorrow, but I just don't see it.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think we all hope the Rian Johnson project is buried, forever.
Dro07
AG
Rian Johnson movie?

Come on man
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Leia at the end is as close to perfect as I've ever seen, CGI or deepfake.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
tv1113 said:

I think we all hope the Rian Johnson project is buried, forever.
The Hangover, but it's in Canto Bight
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Here's the NYT article

LOS ANGELES A significant expansion of the "Star Wars" universe. Tom Hanks as Geppetto in a live-action "Pinocchio," and Yara Shahidi as Tinker Bell in a live-action "Peter Pan & Wendy." Footage from new Marvel projects. A star-studded prequel to "The Lion King."
On Thursday, as part of a four-hour investor presentation focused on streaming, the Walt Disney Company will discuss a Death Star-size trove of coming content all of the above and more, said three people with knowledge of the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private planning.
Some big-budget Disney movies will continue to have exclusive runs in theaters. (The "Lion King" project, directed by Barry Jenkins and focused on Mufasa's back story, is a good bet.) Others will debut online. (That is where "Pinocchio" is headed.) All will ultimately serve one goal, which is strengthening Disney+, the company's flagship streaming service.
At a time when streaming is becoming cuttingly competitive and some of Disney's traditional businesses are struggling Disney hopes to use the virtual event to dazzle Wall Street: Here is a 97-year-old company making a jump to direct-to-consumer hyperspace.

Last month, Bob Chapek, Disney's chief executive, announced that Disney+ had reached 74 million subscribers worldwide after only 11 months in operation. (Netflix took seven years to reach that threshold, and now has 195 million customers worldwide.) Disney+ has since rolled out in Latin America and grown rapidly in India, analysts say, leading some to estimate that Disney may reveal that the service is within reach of 100 million subscribers.
Disney is also expected to give growth updates on its other streaming platforms, including ESPN+, Hulu and a new general entertainment offering, Star, which will debut overseas in the coming months.

"The question everyone has now is where to from here?" Michael Nathanson, a founder of the MoffettNathanson media research firm, said in a phone interview. "We expect to see a lot more spending on content to turn Disney+ into more of an always-on service, which will increase pricing power."
Subscriptions to Disney+ cost $7 a month. The least expensive Netflix plan is $9 a month, and HBO Max, a fledgling WarnerMedia service, costs $15.
Disney declined to comment for this article.
Investors have been licking their lips in anticipation of what Disney will unveil, including forecasts of subscriber growth. Disney shares have climbed 32 percent since the investor day was announced in August, compared with an 11 percent rise in the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index.

Disney was trading at about $155 on Wednesday, near an all-time high, even though several of its theme park resorts (which are enormous cash generators) remain closed because of the pandemic. The company laid off 30,000 workers.

Hollywood is keenly interested in the investor presentation because Disney executives have said they will discuss an evolving approach to movie distribution. The coronavirus has forced Disney and other studios to push back the releases of more than a dozen major films and reroute others to streaming services. In September, Disney debuted "Mulan" on Disney+ as part of a "premium access" experiment, charging subscribers $30 for indefinite access. "Soul," the latest Pixar film, will arrive on Disney+ on Christmas Day for no additional cost.

Citing the pandemic, WarnerMedia last week shifted 17 coming Warner Bros. movies to a hybrid release model simultaneous arrival on HBO Max and in theaters even though some of the films ("Dune," "The Matrix 4") are not scheduled to come out until the fourth quarter, long after vaccines are expected to be deployed. The surprise move prompted swift and severe blowback from WarnerMedia talent, who felt betrayed by the sudden switch. They also stand to receive considerably lower paydays.
John Stankey, the chief executive of AT&T, which owns Warner Media, referred to the furor as "a lot of noise" while speaking at a conference on Tuesday and predicted that WarnerMedia's strategy would prove to be a "win-win-win."
In contrast, Mr. Chapek and Robert A. Iger, Disney's executive chairman, will not go with a one-size-fits-all approach for movie releases in 2021, the people with knowledge of the company's plan said.
Some titles on Disney's theatrical slate will move to Disney+ at no extra cost. Expect "Peter Pan & Wendy," like "Soul" and "Pinocchio," to debut in this manner.

Other movies will take the "Mulan" route and arrive on Disney+ as premium offerings. "We've got something here in terms of the premier access strategy," Mr. Chapek told analysts on a recent conference call. "There's going to be a role for it strategically with our portfolio of offerings."
And some of Disney's biggest movies will continue to receive exclusive runs in theaters before arriving on the company's streaming services. For instance, contrary to widespread speculation, "Black Widow," a much-anticipated Marvel spectacle, will remain on Disney's theatrical release calendar for May 7, the people with knowledge of the presentation said.

Movies are helpful in attracting subscribers, but television shows keep streaming customers paying month after month. To that end, Disney has an abundance of series on the way for its services. They include "Turner and Hooch," an adaptation of the 1989 film about a detective and his oversize mutt; "Willow," an adaptation of the 1988 big-screen fantasy; and eight Marvel shows based on characters like Loki and She-Hulk.
Streaming is not yet profitable for Disney far from it. Losses in the direct-to-consumer division totaled $2.8 billion in the company's 2020 fiscal year. Streaming-related losses are expected to peak in 2022, as rollout costs decline and content expenses normalize, with analysts expecting Disney+ profitability by 2024.
Disney has indicated that some of the money for its new content blitz will come from programming budgets at its traditional television networks. The company owns the Disney Channel, National Geographic, FX, Freeform and ABC, among others.
"We will be heavily tilting the scale from linear networks over to our direct-to-consumer business," Mr. Chapek said on the recent conference call.
Analysts pushed for additional details. "Just hold on until Dec. 10," Christine McCarthy, Disney's chief financial officer, said on the call. "Hopefully we can answer all your questions then."
Correction: Dec. 9, 2020
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I got banned for doing this once, just fyi.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It's only behind a pay wall if you have already read a certain # of NYT articles this month. I have read zero and searched it on Google. I didn't violate any sort of pay to read agreement.

Must be some big stuff coming out tomorrow. I bought Disney stock at $141 / share in June 2019 right after our first trip to Galaxy's Edge. The stock dropped to $86/share during early COVID days, but closed today at $155, near its all-time high.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I jumped in during covid and have 28 shares @ $111 avg per share.

It's been on a tear for a few weeks and is only going to get better with the upcoming news and imminent vaccine and reopening of Disneyland.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Here's the link if you want to listen to the Virtual Investor Day presentation. It starts at 330 pm CDT and is 4 hours long, so knock yourself out.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-investor-day-2020/#:~:text=The%20Walt%20Disney%20Company%20will,to%20last%20approximately%20four%20hours.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was just coming here to ask what time this was at. Good looking out, Muck.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Was just coming here to ask what time this was at. Good looking out, Muck.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
10 Star Wars series?!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Assuming this includes the existing 4 series: Mandalorian, Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance...

That leaves 6 more, right? Or are there others I'm forgetting?
Ag Since 83
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 996 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.