Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,030 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
redline248 said:

I just watched the Lego holiday special. Not too shabby. My favorite part was them keeping Finn's "REY!!" yell.
That was a good show.
redline248
AG
And I realized there were no references to Rey being Palp's granddaughter (that I can remember)
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

Awesome release for the third best Star Wars movie ever made.

Even though I meant this, I was mainly looking to playfully start some sh*t. That said, Solo is currently on TNT and, dare I say, this movie really is damn near perfect. I realize Alden Ehrenreich looks/sounds nothing like Harrison Ford, but outside of that, this is easily one of the tightest, best-written Star Wars movies of the entire franchise. It's just so fun, so expertly paced, features multiple, truly great action sequences, looks incredible, has a point-of-view, character and theme blend seamlessly, and everything ties together/calls back in such clever fashion. I really do love every last character in and moment of this movie.
Agsrback12
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

Even though I meant this, I was mainly looking to playfully start some sh*t. That said, Solo is currently on TNT and, dare I say, this movie really is damn near perfect. I realize Alden Ehrenreich looks/sounds nothing like Harrison Ford, but outside of that, this is easily one of the tightest, best-written Star Wars movies of the entire franchise. It's just so fun, so expertly paced, features multiple, truly great action sequences, looks incredible, has a point-of-view, character and theme blend seamlessly, and everything ties together/calls back in such clever fashion. I really do love every last character in and moment of this movie.

Solo gets a bad rep because of the boycott. It's one of the best SW movies. All of the sequels were absolute trash, ruining the once great franchise, but we have solo and rogue one. So there is that.
Decay
AG
Man I totally disagree. It feels like a giant clunky pile of references. Look, that's how he got his name! That's how he got his ship! That's how he got parsecs! That's how he got his gun! That's how he got his shooting first! That's how he got his friends!

The whole movie I just kept thinking, yeah, I get it.

I loved Rogue One too. Different strokes I guess.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

I've had nothing but good thoughts about Solo since it first came out. No, I never rated it in my highest echelon of the Star Wars movies, but I always thought it was a very well made movie. It's problem was that it came so close to the release of TLJ that it was shat upon due to that film's poor reception.
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

Solo is better than it had any right to be. I think the name bit gets a lot of deserved cringe and they might have tried to put a little too many origin things in there, but it's no reason to throw out a really fun Star Wars movie. I felt that even with not really looking or sounding like him, Alden still managed to be a very convincing Han, and Donald Glover is damn near perfect as Lando. I do wish he had been a bit more scoundrel-y to better match with where we meet him in ANH, but it's still a fun movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I do wish he had been a bit more scoundrel-y to better match with where we meet him in ANH, but it's still a fun movie.
What did I miss in ANH?

edit - bolded "he" - are you referring to Han here? I mean, both of these guys were scoundrels.
jokershady
AG
I'm still getting through Rebels and am in season 2....and holy **** I'm so happy to see Hondo again

"You lied to me?? I knew I liked you!"
gougler08
AG
Hondo is a great character
DustysLineup
AG
Is there any site that keeps track of the uses of the Wilhelm scream in Star Wars universe? I've heard it at least once for sure in the Mandalorian and a couple of maybes.
jokershady
AG
I'm pretty sure it's at least used once in every film and I'm pretty sure I've heard it used in TCW and Rebels.

Not sure what their fascination is with it though
twilly
AG
jokershady said:

I'm pretty sure it's at least used once in every film and I'm pretty sure I've heard it used in TCW and Rebels.

It wasn't used in The Last Jedi. Reason #1,245,876 why it wasn't a good Star Wars film.
LPHA
AG
I think your logic on this one is backwards
PatAg
AG
Decay said:

Man I totally disagree. It feels like a giant clunky pile of references. Look, that's how he got his name! That's how he got his ship! That's how he got parsecs! That's how he got his gun! That's how he got his shooting first! That's how he got his friends!

We already knew how he got his ship. It's literally a movie about his backstory, what were you expecting? These are dumb complaints
DustysLineup
AG
This part of the wikipedia entry is funny for some reason. It was apparently a formal decision:

Quote:

In February 2018 it was announced Star Wars will no longer use the Wilhelm scream, with The Force Awakens (2015) being the last film in the series to use it.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream#cite_note-retired-8][8][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream#cite_note-CBR-9][9][/url]
"In this movie, we decided to move from the Wilhelm scream," revealed Matthew Wood, the supervising sound editor on "The Last Jedi" and all-around "Star Wars" audio guru at Skywalker Sound in Nicasio, California. "We're letting the past die, as Kylo Ren says."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream#cite_note-CBR-9][/url]
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/famous-wilhelm-scream-silent-star-wars-galaxy/story?id=52911832

redline248
AG
twilly said:

jokershady said:

It wasn't used in The Last Jedi. Reason #1,245,876 why it wasn't a good Star Wars film.
I thought it was used for Boba or some other schmuck that fell into the sarlac
PatAg
AG
Harry Lime said:

This part of the wikipedia entry is funny for some reason. It was apparently a formal decision:

Quote:

In February 2018 it was announced Star Wars will no longer use the Wilhelm scream, with The Force Awakens (2015) being the last film in the series to use it.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream#cite_note-retired-8][8][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream#cite_note-CBR-9][9][/url]
"In this movie, we decided to move from the Wilhelm scream," revealed Matthew Wood, the supervising sound editor on "The Last Jedi" and all-around "Star Wars" audio guru at Skywalker Sound in Nicasio, California. "We're letting the past die, as Kylo Ren says."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream#cite_note-CBR-9][/url]
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/famous-wilhelm-scream-silent-star-wars-galaxy/story?id=52911832

another reason to hate the people involved with the last jedi...only partially joking
twilly
AG
It was....you're thinking of a different movie (Return of the Jedi)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
All Wilhelm Screams across all Star Wars media

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

If you want to hate on Matthew Wood, hate on him for being the voice of General Grievous.
Decay
AG
PatAg said:

Decay said:

We already knew how he got his ship. It's literally a movie about his backstory, what were you expecting? These are dumb complaints

I'm glad it worked for you, it just felt too hamfisted for me. Like I said, I liked Rogue One and they played some of the same games too. Just for whatever reason RO felt way more organic, while Solo felt contrived.

But you're right, it's literally the entire purpose of the movie to dive into those details, so maybe I just never gave it a fair shot.
redline248
AG
twilly said:

It was....you're thinking of a different movie (Return of the Jedi)
reading fail or subconscious blocking out that other ****ty movie?
TCTTS
AG

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020/12/new-star-wars-lineup-of-movies-and-disney-plus-series-could-be-announced-this-thursday.html
PatAg
AG
Decay said:

PatAg said:

Decay said:

I'm glad it worked for you, it just felt too hamfisted for me. Like I said, I liked Rogue One and they played some of the same games too. Just for whatever reason RO felt way more organic, while Solo felt contrived.

But you're right, it's literally the entire purpose of the movie to dive into those details, so maybe I just never gave it a fair shot.
I think my viewpoint is shaded by everyone saying it sucked, so when I saw it I was pleased when it turned out to actually be good.

It was definitely hamfisted, and I would definitely have been happy with a higher quality movie. I just wasn't expecting one...and the name thing is very dumb.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
PatAg said:

Decay said:

PatAg said:

Decay said:

I think my viewpoint is shaded by everyone saying it sucked, so when I saw it I was pleased when it turned out to actually be good.

It was definitely hamfisted, and I would definitely have been happy with a higher quality movie. I just wasn't expecting one...and the name thing is very dumb.
Solo is an easy rewatch for me because it has a lot of likable actors in it. I like young Han, as long as I don't think about him being a younger version of Harrison Ford. He really strikes me more as being a version of Chris Pine's Kirk from the first new Star Trek, and I think Pine was actually a candidate for this role. I like the action sequences, I love his swagger, and I love Enfys Nest and the Maurauders, especially the train heist sequences. I have said this before but the best of Solo is like a really good episode of Firefly, which for me is a huge compliment.

My biggest gripe is how dark a lot of the sequences are. The opening is really badly lit, as is everything on Kessel and also the place they find Lando. I realize there is a lot of grime in the galaxy, but it doesn't have to be Battle of WInterfell level.

My second gripe is that those great actors aren't really making the characters their own. Woody Harrelson's Beckett mostly feels like a slight variation of his version of Haysmitch in the Hunger Games. I know Paul Bettany was a late replacement for a guy from the Wire as Dryden Vos, but I mostly found myself thinking "Why is Vision so pissed off? And what happened to his face?" Khaleesi isn't that much different than Sarah Connor Khaleesi or regular Khaleesi. Still lovely to look at, but not a lot going on in character development.

Coulda used about 99% more Lando. I feel the most for Childish Landino because he was born to play that role. The capes, the "Calrissian Chronicles", everything about him is so enjoyable.
israeliag
AG
Is Star Wars Newsnet credible?
TCTTS
AG
Their article links to a story at Deadline, who *is* highly credible, and where the tip comes from.
israeliag
AG
Gotcha - thanks. Link felt very click-bait-y which I hate clicking on.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I thought about just linking straight to Deadline for that very reason, but the info is buried in a bigger Deadline article and that SW source did a better job at highlighting it.
Ulrich
IMO Solo was pretty good. I thought it was solid when i watched in theater, and things that irritated me most (everything being a callback) the first time I watched it were less irritating the second time around. Coming right on the heels of TLJ didn't help, and I was in high dudgeon over 5 of the last 7 SW movies being backstory. Seriously, we don't need a history for every trinket and puppet in the OT, let's move forward but with real stories.
YouBet
AG
Solo is good. Much of it's detraction is simply collateral damage from TLJ.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Their article links to a story at Deadline, who *is* highly credible, and where the tip comes from.
So that announcement is that a slate of movies could be announced Thursday right?
Brian Earl Spilner
First Page Last Page
Page 995 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.