Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,235 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I watched parts of TFA, Rogue One, and Solo last night on TNT.

No matter how many times I've seen TFA - and that's a lot - I can't ever focus on the aerial battle to destroy Starkiller base with Poe and the other pilots. I'm so locked into the Han/Finn/Kylo parts that I space out thinking about what I've seen or what's coming next. It's really odd.

Three great alternate "Where's Luke?" ideas when they finally put the map all the way together at the end of the movie.

A) He's on Tatooine living in his old house.
B) He's on the planet the Resistance base is on currently, like a mile away.
C) He was on the same planet as Starkiller base and they just killed him.
D) Tosche Station
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MuckRaker96 said:

No matter how many times I've seen TFA - and that's a lot - I can't ever focus on the aerial battle to destroy Starkiller base with Poe and the other pilots. I'm so locked into the Han/Finn/Kylo parts that I space out thinking about what I've seen or what's coming next. It's really odd.

Three great alternate "Where's Luke?" ideas when they finally put the map all the way together at the end of the movie.

A) He's on Tatooine living in his old house.
B) He's on the planet the Resistance base is on currently, like a mile away.
C) He was on the same planet as Starkiller base and they just killed him.
D) Tosche Station

E) Hoth. And he's befriended the Wampa who's arm he cut off. Can then do flash backs of their adventures together on Hoth.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Damn...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
bluefire579 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I think it's because the actual aerial battle feels kind of tacked on and doesn't feel like it has the stakes to it that the ground part does. On the ground, you have a team of folks who you either a) already had a strong connection to (Han and Chewie) or b) have spent much of the movie connecting with (Finn and Rey). In the air, you have Poe and several randos, and we've only really seen Poe for about 10 minutes total at that point. In terms of screentime of the battle itself, you get random flashes, but it's super quick with nothing really seeming to happen.

Compare that to the way it's balanced in Return of the Jedi. You have your key players split in a few different areas (Han, Leia, et al on Endor, Luke on the Death Star, Lando and Wedge in space). Each part has their well established goal and their fates are interlocked as they try to survive and defeat the Empire. The sequences are interwoven in a way that keeps the viewer engaged and a feeling that the rebels are in danger of failing. Just think of how you felt when Han and Leia walked out to find the legion of Imperial troops and walkers waiting for them, of when that blast comes from the Death Star, of when Luke tries to strike the Emperor.

TFA doesn't have that balance - lots happens on the ground, but in the air, Poe just does some acrobatics, flies into the generator and destroys it, and it's done. No drama, no sense of foreboding, nothing.
Well said.
Flashdiaz
AG
and you knew they were going to destroy Star Killer base... for a change of pace they should have had the rebels fail to destroy it for a couple of movies because the Empire\First Order finally decided to not install a self-destruct object.
TXAG 05
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

bluefire579 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I think it's because the actual aerial battle feels kind of tacked on and doesn't feel like it has the stakes to it that the ground part does. On the ground, you have a team of folks who you either a) already had a strong connection to (Han and Chewie) or b) have spent much of the movie connecting with (Finn and Rey). In the air, you have Poe and several randos, and we've only really seen Poe for about 10 minutes total at that point. In terms of screentime of the battle itself, you get random flashes, but it's super quick with nothing really seeming to happen.

Compare that to the way it's balanced in Return of the Jedi. You have your key players split in a few different areas (Han, Leia, et al on Endor, Luke on the Death Star, Lando and Wedge in space). Each part has their well established goal and their fates are interlocked as they try to survive and defeat the Empire. The sequences are interwoven in a way that keeps the viewer engaged and a feeling that the rebels are in danger of failing. Just think of how you felt when Han and Leia walked out to find the legion of Imperial troops and walkers waiting for them, of when that blast comes from the Death Star, of when Luke tries to strike the Emperor.

TFA doesn't have that balance - lots happens on the ground, but in the air, Poe just does some acrobatics, flies into the generator and destroys it, and it's done. No drama, no sense of foreboding, nothing.
Well said.

This. Another reminder that TFA and the rest of sequels just weren't that good.
Decay
AG
Flashdiaz said:

and you knew they were going to destroy Star Killer base... for a change of pace they should have had the rebels fail to destroy it for a couple of movies because the Empire\First Order finally decided to not install a self-destruct object.
Exactly! Such a basic, easy way to sUbVeRt ExPeCtAtIoNs and they couldn't even do that.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It didn't have a self destruct, it took a ground team to sabotage a major component to allow the aerial assault to work. The xwings had done no damage to the base itself until chewing hit the detonator to damage the oscillator.
The Collective
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

It didn't have a self destruct, it took a ground team to sabotage a major component to allow the aerial assault to work. The xwings had done no damage to the base itself until chewing hit the detonator to damage the oscillator.

That's right - waste manager Finn had all of the insight on the technical weaknesses of the base.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lightsaber should've flown to Luke on Starkiller.

That is all.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That is all.

Meaning Luke should have also been on Starkiller, or he should have force pulled it through hyperspace?

JJ probably would have gone with the latter, had he thought of it
YouBet
AG
redline248 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That is all.

Meaning Luke should have also been on Starkiller, or he should have force pulled it through hyperspace?

JJ probably would have gone with the latter, had he thought of it
Would have been badass to have a sequence with his lightsaber traveling in a hyperspace tunnel with constant lens flares going off.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I talked about this with a friend of mine --

Luke's force projection trick should've been used in that scene, against Kylo on Starkiller Base. That should've been his introduction.

Then he disappears without explanation, and that's left for TLJ to answer.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, that's good.
Ag Since 83
AG
I like the idea, but you remove the Rey/Kylo battle which was important in the development of the relationship between your two main characters
The Collective
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I like the idea, but you remove the Rey/Kylo battle which was important in the development of the relationship between your two main characters

Well, he could have saved Rey. It would have made more sense for her to get her ass kicked anyway.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
New Tim Zahn Thrawn book out Sept. 1. IO9 / Starwars.com have an excerpt. For a franchise that has some fairly lame book covers, usually featuring crappy art drawn from a movie pose - the exceptions being the covers for Darth Plageuis and Lords of the Sith - this is pretty bad-ass.

Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I talked about this with a friend of mine --

Luke's force projection trick should've been used in that scene, against Kylo on Starkiller Base. That should've been his introduction.

Then he disappears without explanation, and that's left for TLJ to answer.
Yeah maybe it's tied to the death of Han just before. Luke is able to sense Han's death and projects onto Starkiller. During that whole exchange, after Kylo is defeated and Rey is escaping on the Falcon, Luke tells her to come find him.
Ag Since 83
AG
But Kylo's character and motivation would have been completely changed
kdm_01
AG
The Chiss Ascendancy... I have actual goosebumps now.
Bring it on!
TCTTS
AG

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1145693-mandalorian-potential-third-season
jeffk
AG
All hail the VOLUME!
Duncan Idaho
jeffk said:

All hail the VOLUME!

That thing is going to end up being the most disruptive film making technology since digital cameras.
jokershady
AG
Don't about y'all but we as a family started watching the first season of Mandalorian again...doing one episode a week and just did episode 2 this past Sunday.

Hopefully will be done with episode 8 right when season 2 is starting
Gangnam Style
AG
Mando S2 trailer rumored to be dropping during the Lakers/Blazers game tomorrow.
TCTTS
AG

https://lrmonline.com/news/scoop-mostly-confirmed-the-mandalorian-season-2-trailer-hitting-tomorrow/
TCTTS
AG
- The Mandalorian Season 2 trailer tomorrow.

- Travis Scott's new single/music video for Tenet, featuring new footage, on Friday.

- The final Wonder Woman 1984 trailer on Saturday, along with debut footage from The Suicide Squad and The Batman.

- The first Dune trailer as early as tomorrow / within the next few days for sure.

Feel like old times again!

Bring it!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It feels like the year 2020 is finally kicking off. Only took 8 months.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI...

Quote:

UPDATED: The potential trailer dates have been updated by our source. Here are the potential events where The Mandalorian Season 2 trailer will hit:

Game 2, Aug. 20: Trail Blazers vs. Lakers | 9 p.m. ET on ESPN
Game 3, Aug. 22: Lakers vs Trailer Blazers | 8:30 p.m. ET on ABC
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like it might be Sunday. Decent amount of chatter now that it's not dropping tonight. If it was, there would have likely been some kind of announcement as to drive viewership, and we obviously haven't heard anything official yet.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
should be pretty soon now on Mando S2 Trailer
TCTTS
AG
Check my post above. Tonight isn't looking likely. Not saying it won't/can't drop tonight, but the radio silence in terms of any kind of an official announcement is telling, along with all of the chatter that's been delayed (or is coming Sunday, which might have been the plan all along). Especially compared to the Travis Scott/Tenet music video set to drop tomorrow night during the NBA on TNT, which has been advertised nonstop for the past few days.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

- The Mandalorian Season 2 trailer tomorrow.

- Travis Scott's new single/music video for Tenet, featuring new footage, on Friday.

- The final Wonder Woman 1984 trailer on Saturday, along with debut footage from The Suicide Squad and The Batman.

- The first Dune trailer as early as tomorrow / within the next few days for sure.

Feel like old times again!

Bring it!

Inject it into my veins!
jokershady
AG
Still no trailer....

However we watched episode 3 from season 1 tonight...and somehow it was even better than when we first watched it!

Loving going back and re-watching each episode once a week leading up to season 2
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So is this happening or what?
First Page Last Page
Page 966 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.