Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,619 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It says it's from Lucas' "early Return of the Jedi scene list," but yeah, it doesn't specify when he began to outline. Either way, you, of all people, would love this thread. It's definitely worth reading on your phone if you can't on the computer...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It looks cool but I went cold turkey on social media in 2010 and haven't been back. Thanks for sharing it though.
TCTTS
AG
What if you could watch Episode IX right now? But only in ten minute spurts via a Tweet thread? Would you do it?
redline248
AG
No. First experience must be in a theater
Liquid Wrench
TCTTS said:

What if you could watch Episode IX right now? But only in ten minute spurts via a Tweet thread? Would you do it?
That sounds brutal.

And I only wish I could have watched Star Wars and Empire for the first time in a theater.
tk for tu juan
Fast forward to around 5:34, this sounds oddly familiar. The composer was born in 1977, must be a Williams fan

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

I wouldn't watch it at all in any format unless my dad and my brother were there too. We've watched them all together since 1977.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Kudos.

I was doing the same with my dad (don't have a living brother) but by the time TLJ came out, dad's health was failing and that broke our streak. Dad was the one who convinced me to actually go see Star Wars back in June 1977; I thought it looked terrible, stupid, what-have-you, and just was not interested. When we got home from that first viewing, I gathered up all the cardboard and tape I could find and proceeded to build a bunch of X-Wings and TIE Fighters. I miss my dad dearly, and wish we could have shared the final two movies together.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's really cool that you all have that.
Urban Ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

I wouldn't watch it at all in any format unless my dad and my brother were there too. We've watched them all together since 1977.
That's really cool.

Saw IV, V, VI, and VII with my brothers and my dad (and mom). Will see IX with them in December.

Hard to do with the fam in WA, CA, and TX.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Kudos.

I was doing the same with my dad (don't have a living brother) but by the time TLJ came out, dad's health was failing and that broke our streak. Dad was the one who convinced me to actually go see Star Wars back in June 1977; I thought it looked terrible, stupid, what-have-you, and just was not interested. When we got home from that first viewing, I gathered up all the cardboard and tape I could find and proceeded to build a bunch of X-Wings and TIE Fighters. I miss my dad dearly, and wish we could have shared the final two movies together.
That's tough to hear. My dad has had both hips replaced over the last 5 years, but fortunately did that in the summer. I was 3 in 1977 and 45 now, so I am square in the middle of the Star Wars fanboy population. It blows my mind that my dad was 29 when the first one came out and 71 now and still loves it. My mom has probably see 30 minutes of Star Wars in her life and couldn't name anyone past the main 5-6 characters of the OT.

One of my favorite stories about my dad and Star Wars involved me taking the DVD of The Phantom Menace over to his house to watch it with him in 2000 or 2001. When the swordfight at the end came on, he insisted my mom watch it just because it was so awesome. My mom watches 5 minutes and says, "Why are their swords different colors?" My dad gives his big exasperated sigh and says "This is why I can never watch this with you."
exitone
AG
I think anyone who cares enough to hang out on a thread like this is a die-hard fan... and die-hard fans want the quality and experience of seeing it in a theater.

And having a tradition of watching it with a family member or friend is awesome. These are special films, so its great when we can treat them as such. When I grew up, Star Wars was my life. I should post some pics of my bedroom when I was a kid. Star Wars posters all over, and one side of the room was all the rebel base (Kenner toys) and the other side was the imperial base. Ahhh, the days of no responsibility.

The first time I saw Star Wars was when it came out. I was 5 I think. My neighbors took me. I remember people drinking champagne in the lobby. I think that was about a month after release when it had become popular.

The three most memorable times of going to see were:
1) Rogue One - went on the Thursday it released with my brother. The last half of the movie I was completely geeking out. It was a fun experience.

2) Empire - my friends dad somehow got a few of us out of school for the day and took us on opening day. We were the first in the theater and I won a free movie poster. Still have it.

3) Phantom Menace - I talked my future wife into going to sit in line hours early on day 1. She thought it was slightly unnecessary. 5 minutes before the movie started, some guy sits down next to us and says he just decided to come and see it and didn't wait in line. I still hear about that...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

It looks cool but I went cold turkey on social media in 2010 and haven't been back. Thanks for sharing it though.
Texags is social media.
Urban Ag
AG
exitone said:

I think anyone who cares enough to hang out on a thread like this is a die-hard fan... and die-hard fans want the quality and experience of seeing it in a theater.

And having a tradition of watching it with a family member or friend is awesome. These are special films, so its great when we can treat them as such. When I grew up, Star Wars was my life. I should post some pics of my bedroom when I was a kid. Star Wars posters all over, and one side of the room was all the rebel base (Kenner toys) and the other side was the imperial base. Ahhh, the days of no responsibility.

The first time I saw Star Wars was when it came out. I was 5 I think. My neighbors took me. I remember people drinking champagne in the lobby. I think that was about a month after release when it had become popular.

The three most memorable times of going to see were:
1) Rogue One - went on the Thursday it released with my brother. The last half of the movie I was completely geeking out. It was a fun experience.

2) Empire - my friends dad somehow got a few of us out of school for the day and took us on opening day. We were the first in the theater and I won a free movie poster. Still have it.

3) Phantom Menace - I talked my future wife into going to sit in line hours early on day 1. She thought it was slightly unnecessary. 5 minutes before the movie started, some guy sits down next to us and says he just decided to come and see it and didn't wait in line. I still hear about that...
Great post. Thanks.

My most memorable SW experience was seeing Rogue One, also on the Thursday showing, because my kids were so truly blown away. Couldn't slap the smiles off any of our faces. TFA was their first in theatre SW experience and it fell flat to be honest.

Second best was actually TFA because we saw it with the entire family. My mom and dad, my brothers, their wives, my wife and kids, all the cousins. We filled up fifteen seats. Great family experience.

Third best was seeing the OT in the theatre as a kid but my memories of such are fading.

My worst SW experience was taking my fiance to TPM in 99. She'd never seen any of the OT and bought in to my hype that it was going to be some epic cinematic experience. I felt like a complete tool 30 minutes in. At least she still married me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Awesome posts. One of my best friends in life I met at A&M, and he and I have gone to see everything together on opening day since the special editions in 1997, excluding Rogue One which unfortunately came out after my big wreck. He waited a whole month to see it after it came out to see if I was going to get discharged from the hospital in time before he finally went, talk about a friend! Even that's crazy to think we were both 23 when ANH:SE came out in 1997 and now we'll be close to double that age for TROS.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I know this is for kids, but tell me Yoda's flashback starting at 0:30 isn't badass.

exitone
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I know this is for kids, but tell me Yoda's flashback starting at 0:30 isn't badass.

That is awesome. I remember when they announced these, I flagged the Star Wars Kids channel as a favorite on Youtube. It's had a permanent dot on it since then showing I haven't gone in and watched the stuff yet. These look cool. I just wish they would string them together into a long movie.... which I guess is basically the real movies only animated. I wonder if they will not that someday.
Urban Ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

blown away

I typically don't do animation anything but that was awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Good God.

That is awesome.
Dro07
AG
wait... what show is this?!
Dro07
AG

This looks awesome!!! Why did we get Star Wars Resistance and not this?!

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
They're just video shorts on YouTube designed to get younger kids interested in the older movies combining the real audio with new animation. They've been out at least 6 months.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Good God.

That is awesome.
Brian, I've always wanted to ask you since you're such a huge fan of ROTS - as part of my favorite scene from that movie is in this animation.

To me, the most criminally short scene of that whole movie is Obi-Wan and Yoda fighting their way inside the Jedi Temple vs. the clone troopers. It's just a few brief seconds of the only time Yoda fights side by side with another Jedi ever, and the last time we see two lightsaber wielders fighting on the same side until the throne room of TLJ.

Don't you wish that scene was like 3-4 times as long? I always feel it's like "last stand of the Jedi" - very briefly taking back their home from the invaders and having each other's backs. In the novelization of ROTS, Obi-Wan presents to be a vagrant and walks right up to the clonetroopers pretending to have "found a Jedi baby" which turns out to be Yoda and then they wreck shop. Probably too much humor for the tone of the movie right there, with Palpatine about to crown himself Emperor, but at least it had more fighting than the 5 seconds in the film.
Flashdiaz
AG
Not only that but for about 30 years we had Obiwans comment about Vader hunting down Jedi and all we got is him taking out a bunch of 4 yr olds and 2 seconds of grainy footage of him fighting teenage Jedi. If you think of it, Anakin lost to Doku and lost to Obi wan... not that powerful of a movie screen performance for the Chosen one against foes with Jedi or sith skills.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll never say no to more Yoda.

But I always thought Lucas showed a bit of restraint with Yoda so that his badass moments hit that much harder.

Ie. Decapitating the clone troopers on Kashyyyk, smashing Palp's royal guards against the wall, and going toe-to-toe with Palps for most of their fight.

If I could ask for one change/improvement to Yoda in the prequels, it would be for him to have beaten Dooku more clearly. It's basically a stalemate.

I get that they wanted Dooku to survive and be a formidable villain, but there is no way he should have been able to match Yoda in pure mastery of the force.

I wish there was a clear moment of Yoda smacking him down and showing his superiority, and Dooku running away when he realizes he's going to lose that fight.
Dro07
AG
Didn't he kill dooku
Belton Ag
AG
dromo07 said:

Didn't he kill dooku
No, Anakin did as the request of Palpatine.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I assume his confusion is you said Anakin lost to Dooku. Which he did, the first time.
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I assume his confusion is you said Anakin lost to Dooku. Which he did, the first time.
Now I'm confused. I don't think I said Anakin lost to Dooku.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry, Flash did.
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sorry, Flash did.
I'm good at jumping in the middle of conversations and confusing the hell outta everybody.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Question - do people use the thread index in the OP? Is it worth keeping updated?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Even more badass than the Yoda one (IMHO)

TCTTS
AG
I actually only noticed it for the first time just other day. It's a great guide, and I appreciate the effort, but it's not something I, personally, would ever reference.
First Page Last Page
Page 842 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.