Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,647 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think that Disney parks will hurt for a bit until rise of the resistance opens. But even then I can see them not doing as great because 2021 is the 50th anniversary of wdw and they are releasing a ton of other rides and restaurants. People who don't go yearly may be holding off. I think there are a lot of factors that have nothing to do with Star Wars but click bait gonna click bait
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TCTTS
AG
Good Slashfilm piece on the Obi-Wan rumor. If true, how awesome would it be to get an official announcement / Ewan McGregor appearance at D23?

https://www.slashfilm.com/obi-wan-kenobi-disney-series/
TCTTS
AG
Wow, time flies. Just realized D23 is NEXT weekend.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/are-game-thrones-creators-a-smart-gamble-netflix-1231326
Urban Ag
AG
Saxsoon said:

I think that Disney parks will hurt for a bit until rise of the resistance opens. But even then I can see them not doing as great because 2021 is the 50th anniversary of wdw and they are releasing a ton of other rides and restaurants. People who don't go yearly may be holding off. I think there are a lot of factors that have nothing to do with Star Wars but click bait gonna click bait
Myself and both my brothers all specifically put off taking the families to WDW this year to see Galaxy's Edge because we thought the lines would be out of control. Also really wanted to wait until the SW themed hotel is open. So yeah, I think a lot of families are definitely interested just putting it off.

TCTTS
AG
Here's the pertinent schedule info for the two biggest panels...

Friday, August 23 - 3:30 PM PT // THE MANDALORIAN

- Surely a trailer will finally be released online for the masses.
- Because this panel is also a "Disney+ Showcase," this is when/where I'd expect other potential SW series news/announcements (such as Obi-Wan, potentially).

Saturday, August 24 - 10:00 AM PT // STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

- Again, don't expect a new trailer (that'll be in October). Rather, we'll almost assuredly get the standard behind-the-scenes featurette that they've done for the last two saga movies.
- Because this presentation is also part of a bigger Disney movie panel, my guess is that they keep it relatively short and sweet (cast appearances, yes, but half an hour max, if that).
Quad Dog
AG
Good article about park attendence:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/why-disneys-galaxy-edges-flop-launch-might-be-no-problem.html

Bob Iger's explanation:
Quote:

First of all, helped in part by some of our efforts, there was tremendous concern in the marketplace that there was going to be huge crowding when we opened Galaxy's Edge. And so some people stayed away just because they expected that it would not be a great guest experience. At the same time that was going on, all the local hotels in the region, expecting a huge influx of visitation, raised their prices. So, it simply got more expensive to come stay in Anaheim. In addition to that, we raised our prices. We brought our daily price up, so if you think about local visitation, we brought the price of a one-day ticket up substantially from a year ago. And then we have opened up Galaxy's Edge with one attraction instead of two. The second attraction is going to open in January. And so all of those factors contributed to attendance that was below what we would have hoped it would be.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Good Slashfilm piece on the Obi-Wan rumor. If true, how awesome would it be to get an official announcement / Ewan McGregor appearance at D23?

https://www.slashfilm.com/obi-wan-kenobi-disney-series/

Would love the first season of the series to have absolutely nothing to do with anything in the movies, just Obi-Wan trying to figure **** out in the desert after chilling in the Jedi Temple for 30+ years

Episode 1 - The Phantom Sun Burn - Tried some of Yoda's organic sunscreen; worthless it is.

Episode 2 - Attack of the Womp Rats in my Pantry - Obi-wan has never heard of tupperware

Episode 3 - Revenge on the Jawas who sold me this POS Moisture Vaporator - Obi-Wan pays them in Republic dataries so they sell him a vaporator full of sand

Episode 4 - A New Hope for Food - Obi-Wan barbecues his Eopie from Revenge of the Sith

Episode 5 - The Eopie Strikes Back - Apparently you're not supposed to eat eopie. On the plus side, he's lost 10 pounds this week.

Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi's Washer and Dryer - Obi-wan gets back appliances he had to hock to a repo man in Bestine when he was reordering supplies.

Episode 7 - The Force is Shaken - Obi-Wan's house is crushed by a passing krayt dragon while he's out taking a dump

Episode 8 - The Trashed Jedi - Obi-Wan visits Mos Espa for supplies and gets addicted to Tatooine Sunrises at the local cantina. When Dr. Ezahan boldly claims that he and Ponda Baba have the death sentence on 12 systems, Obi-Wan unwisely spouts off, "OH yeah, well I have the death sentence on EVERY SYSTEM!"

Episode 9: The Surprise of Skywalker - A bunch of local kids have a rave in the Jundland Wastes and Obi-Wan can't sleep. He goes out to yell at them to stay off his dune when he spies young Luke dropping acid with Biggs, Camie, and Fixer and wonders WTF he's even out here doing this stupid job.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Wow! Confirmed!

https://deadline.com/2019/08/ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-disney-plus-star-wars-1202669319/
TCTTS
AG
I'd say a D23 appearance next weekend is likely a done deal at this point.

After all these years, I can't believe this is finally real.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Does that mean in a TV show?
TCTTS
AG
Yes. A Disney+ series. Could be one season, could be multiple. Hopefully we find out more next weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
exitone
AG
On the one side I'm let down that this will not be a full theatrical release with all the build up and fan fare.
On the other side I'm excited this could be 10 (?)) hours of greatness as opposed 2.
I'm on the fence about this. I really wanted a high grossing Ewan Obi Wan movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
When it comes down to it, I think TV probably makes the most sense for this particular story. It's almost assuredly not going to be some big, effects-heavy, planet-hopping affair. Probably just a lot of desert, Mos Eisley, and other Tatooine locations. I can't imagine Obi-Wan going on a bunch of covert space missions or anything like that while he's supposed to be keeping a watchful eye on Luke. Granted, Lawrence of Arabia took place in the desert and is considered one of the most "cinematic" movies of all time. So it's not like a similar desert location in Tatooine doesn't deserve the big screen treatment. I just feel like this kind of story will lend itself to a more episodic format.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hope they make this as epic and cinematic as possible. Hell, get Deakins to shoot it, **** it. Back up that money truck, Mickey.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Qi'ra has to be coming back right?

I'm betting on an Emilia Clarke announcement at D23.
TCTTS
AG
Why are you so convinced that she would be? Wasn't her character still on Corellia as of 10-12 years prior to A New Hope? If so, I seriously doubt this takes place 10-12 prior to A New Hope. McGregor doesn't look that old yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tying her into the criminal underworld and to Maul seemed very deliberate.
exitone
AG
Does anyone see a possible recreation of the scene from Rebels where Obi Wan fights Maul. Doubt it, but depending on the timeline it could be a possibility.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but does that automatically equate to the Tatooine underground? Either way, I still don't think the timelines are going to add up. In real life, McGregor hardly looks a day older than he did at the end of Episode III. And even if they age him, and set this, say, nine years prior to A New Hope, then you're potentially dealing with a nine-or-so-year-old Luke, which might be kind of weird.

I guess I've just always assumed this would be like five years or so after Episode III, and Luke isn't old enough to be a real character - just a child we see through Obi-Wan's eyes from a distance. I could be wrong, though.
TCTTS
AG
I'm more curious to know if they're going to bring back Joel Edgerton as Owen. How cool would it be if McGregor and Edgerton team up on some Tatooine adventure? But it ends bitterly for some reason, thus Owen's opinion of Obi-Wan in A New Hope.
TCTTS
AG
"... 6 or 8 episodes..."

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chances of Qui Gon, in any form? (Ghost, voice)
exitone
AG
Hmmm. 6 or 8 episodes. Well. Ok.

Yes, I think we have to see Owan, Beru and a young Luke playing with Biggs. It could just be 20 seconds of screen time, but we will see them.

The only plot points I can think of where Obi Wan is confined to Tatooine are:
- the Skywalker homestead is threatened and Obi Wan somehow has to help while maintaining distance
- something in the underworld happens that could affect the poor and oppressed of Tatooine, so Obi Wan being the good Jedi that he is can't resist helping out
- Obi Wan stumbles across a Jawa orgy and he decides Luke doesn't need to be exposed to that filth, so he eradicates all Jawas within a 20km radius.
TCTTS
AG
Would be awesome. Wasn't that a dangling plot thread at the end of Episode III? What did Yoda say to Obi-Wan in that regard? Either way, I'd say there's a 75% chance he shows up in some form.
TCTTS
AG
Love it.

I also need a scene of Obi-Wan gambling on pod races. He got the itch last time he was there, when they put everything on Ani. Maybe he's even a heavy gambler now, with all his spare time.
TCTTS
AG
In all seriousness, Jaba's definitely in this, right?
TCTTS
AG
Is it sad that I'm WAY more excited for this than either planned theatrical trilogy at this point?
AliasMan02
AG
The Disney animators do really work in some next-level stuff. I can't imagine how fun it is.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yoda told him that Qui-Gon discovered a way to commune with him after death, and would teach Obi-Wan.. As far as we know, Qui-Gon was the first ever force ghost, who taught Yoda.
exitone
AG
Yep, Jabba is definitely in this. Probably Boba Fett as well.

And yes, This is exciting. Just a little let down that it will not get the full blown excitement of a movie.

I think the only thing that would get me more excited than this would be if the new trilogy was about the Knights of The Old Republic.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
exitone said:

Yep, Jabba is definitely in this. Probably Boba Fett as well.

And yes, This is exciting. Just a little let down that it will not get the full blown excitement of a movie.

I think the only thing that would get me more excited than this would be if the new trilogy was about the Knights of The Old Republic.
And Darth Maul?
First Page Last Page
Page 839 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.