Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,194 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gotcha. Then yeah, surely they follow up on that in some way.

Ooooh, maybe we actually see/hear Qui-Gon's ghost teach Obi-Wan how to do it? As to better set up the moment when Obi-Wan "died" in A New Hope.
exitone
AG
... by the way... when do we start to sign up for a Disney+. I guess I need to go Google that. The content is going to be insane between Marvel, SW and everything else.
TCTTS
AG
My guess is they announce all that at D23 next weekend.
exitone
AG
I think this is a good way to explore the Darth Maul story since it sounds like we will not be getting anymore Solo films. But I can only think of Maul showing up to recreate the scene from Rebels on Tatooine where Obi Wan takes care of him in about 3 seconds. Other than that, it will be difficult since their paths didn't cross until that point. But I guess Maul could be shown orchestrating the problems that Obi Wan has to resolve, but they don't cross paths and are not aware who each other really are. For that I would think Maul couldn't actually go to Tatooine or OW would feel his presence.
exitone
AG
You know. Your right. Qui Gon has to be in this. They have to explore the whole force ghost thing in depth. I bet they wish they got to that before Ep9 came out.
TCTTS
AG
There's been a lot of chatter that the Solo "sequel(s)" will be on Disney+ in the form of limited series as well. So far, there have been three different rumored shows for Han, Lando, and Qi'ra, respectively. Now, those all might actually be one show, or two, or however many, but my guess is that the Maul stuff continues in whatever iterations those are instead of the Obi-Wan show. But who knows...
TCTTS
AG
Also, remember, the Cassian Andor series is coming in 2020. And that's (obviously) set before Rogue One. So Maul or Qi'ra or whoever else could technically appear at some point in that show as well. Not everyone of that ilk has to be stuffed into the Obi-Wan series.
exitone
AG
Good to hear. I enjoyed Solo, so I would welcome a follow up.
Disney is killing it with Disney+. They have basically guaranteed a monthly extraction out of my wallet for at least 2 years.
exitone
AG
Yes, I really, really liked Rogue One. I'm not overly excited for Casion though... unless it's a buddy film with Casion and K2SO. Then I'm all in. Ha.
Actually, I think they are smart and all of these shows will be top quality, GOT level work. I'm really excited they are doing this and building the universe that dominated my youth.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm with you. I'm sure the Cassian series will be great, with a crazy budget and all that, but I just can't picture what it's even going to be about, nor am all that excited for it yet.
TCTTS
AG
TXAG 05
AG
But would you really want the force ghost process explained? I'm fine with it a mystery, don't need a repeat of midi chlorians
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
First time Qui-Gon speaks up, Ewan should say, "Aslan?"

Well this is just huge for me, as Obi-Wan is my favorite character. And I would love them to get deep into his psyche and really explore his emotions and the toll of realizing what has all happened to where he goes from living among the most powerful beings in the galaxy on a planet of trillions to being completely isolated on a rock in the middle of nowhere.

Would love a somewhat bitter Obi-Wan at least the beginning who starts to realize the depth of this assignment and how it will be 15-20 years before Luke is even slightly old enough to comprehend it all. He's in a place now where he should be totally paranoid about every interaction he has with anyone. Because Obi-Wan could handle a squad of stormies or two, but potentially calling them down on an innocent family and the son of your best friend who you think you killed is something totally different.

Obviously he can't go using the force and his lightsaber all over town so it's going to be interesting how he's able to help people and solve problems. There was a book in the early 2000s called "Tatooine Ghost" that had Leia and Han on Tatooine post - ROTJ and one of the subplots was the Tuskens being spooked by the ghost that tore their village apart 20 years earlier (Anakin) and they had launched an all-out war on the humans for a while. I wonder if they'll tie that in here, with Obi-Wan realizing Anakin was responsible. I'd say a Hayden Christensen or even Ian McDiarmid cameo is somewhat likely, in a dream or flashback.

Would love to see Jabba or at least some of his cronies. Not sure if I can handle a Boba Fett appearance "Hey that guy with the beard was at me and dad's apartment one time!"

What I'd really love is a double plot where Obi-Wan has a problem to solve, they show Owen and Beru struggling with life and raising Luke and there's a bounty hunter, maybe even our man Cad Bane from TCW hunting Obi-Wan. The whole series you are led to believe that Obi-Wan isn't aware of the bounty hunter closing in on him until the last scene or two when he looks like he's got the drop on Obi-Wan only to realize Obi-Wan knew he was there the whole time. ANd after not using anything but his wit the whole series, we finally see him lightning up his blade and calling out to the Force to wreck some bounty hunter ass.

TCTTS
AG
In.
AliasMan02
AG
I'd guess the timeline for the series is shortly after he arrives on Tatooine and is a total wreck... probably two years after. The Jedi are all dead except him and Yoda. He killed his best friend after letting him fall to the Dark Side. Owen won't let him near the toddler Luke to start training him.

I'd guess the series is likely in three acts:

- I'm not a Jedi anymore because there are no Jedi anymore, and I'm just here on this miserable planet doing penance and waiting to die.
- This circumstance (a mission or quest of some sort, invoked to protect Luke or meet some old Jedi commitment) is my last harrah. One more chance to try and make up for some of my failures, but it's not hope.
- All is NOT lost and I AM still a Jedi. The Force will guide Luke and he will become the Jedi his father should have been, with my help.

Some major points that I think will happen during the series:

-Owen forbids Kenobi to come anywhere near Luke, or train him.
- After a couple of years in near total isolation, Kenobi learns that Darth Vader is still alive.
- In a moment of desperation, after maybe years of neglecting his disciplines, Kenobi communes with Qui Gon in search of guidance.
redline248
AG
I doubt Boba Fett will be crammed into the Obi-Wan show, so as to not step on the toes of, or confuse viewers with, the Mandalorian.

I think Maul/Qira could be their own, independent show about criminal activity. Or fringe plots in the Cassian show.

Who will they cast to play Obi-Wan's random junk trader side piece that is Rey's granny?
redline248
AG
Do y'all really think Obi-Wan couldn't sense that Anakin never actually died?
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Not if dramatically appropriate.

Also, he couldn't tell he was a Sith and he was like 10 ft away.
exitone
AG
Saw an article saying it's an 8 episode run, with Ewan directing a few of them.
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

Not if dramatically appropriate.

Also, he couldn't tell he was a Sith and he was like 10 ft away.

Do you mean when he went to Mustufar? I'd say he had a pretty good idea after watching the security footage of Anakin killing children. Call it blinded by friendship or holding out hope, if you want.
exitone
AG
redline248 said:

Who will they cast to play Obi-Wan's random junk trader side piece that is Rey's granny?

You joke, but if they hadn't killed off Satine in the Clone Wars, she would have been a great female opposite for Obi Wan. You would figure there will be some female he has grown close to now that he doesn't have Yoda looking over his shoulder making sure he isn't getting preoccupied with the ladies.
fig96
AG
(Posted by Jorge Gutierrez, director of The Book of Life)

https://instagr.am/p/B1NdDjhnylX
dave94
AG
I'd love to see them premiere the first episode in theaters like Marvel (failingly) did for the Inhumans.
TCTTS
AG
Great idea. That would be awesome. No reason why they couldn't. Usually, for events like that, it's the first two episodes, though, so it equals around two hours / the standard movie length. I would love nothing more than to watch the "movie" in theaters, come home, and then knock out the next six episodes. How cool would that be?
Urban Ag
AG
This literally opens up the door to tie ins across the whole franchise. Solo/Chewbacca/Qi Ra. Maul/Crimson Dawn. Jabba/bounty hunters. Love the ideas Muck threw out.

I remember years ago some Disney exec or maybe it was Turner or JJ saying that the franchise had to have new stories with new characters set in the SW universe but completely unrelated to the OT or prequels. I don't think that should be the case at all. I mean, nothing wrong with going in new directions but why not both? R1 was/is a widely popular film that is a story we know happened, but not the details, and has familiar characters but they add value to the film but are not the foundation for it. Again, why not both?

Happy SW nerd today.
twilly
AG
Urban Ag said:

This literally opens up the door to tie ins across the whole franchise. Solo/Chewbacca/Qi Ra. Maul/Crimson Dawn. Jabba/bounty hunters. Love the ideas Muck threw out.

I remember years ago some Disney exec or maybe it was Turner or JJ saying that the franchise had to have new stories with new characters set in the SW universe but completely unrelated to the OT or prequels. I don't think that should be the case at all. I mean, nothing wrong with going in new directions but why not both? R1 was/is a widely popular film that is a story we know happened, but not the details, and has familiar characters but they add value to the film but are not the foundation for it. Again, why not both?

Happy SW nerd today.
This has been Disney's plan all along.

Use the box office to drive the new stories/characters. Then use alternative means (streaming, books, games) to drive the OT/PT material. Just looking at the huge difference in ROI from TFA/TLJ compared to R1/Solo, this seems to be a smart strategy.

It also shows up in their long term investment in Galaxy's Edge. Sorry to break the news to us OT fans out there, but as a collective we are a dwindling source of income over time (think Grim Reaper). For the long haul, it's better to focus the investment on the new material. You could argue they are doing a poor job executing the ST material, but the long term strategy is solid.

But in the short (relative) time I'm still able to enjoy Star Wars...load me up with OT/PT stuff all day long!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Disney+ was not on their radar when they purchased Lucasfilm.
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Disney+ was not on their radar when they purchased Lucasfilm.
True, but other options and services were. Disney invested in Hulu, made licensing deals with Netflix, expanded their offerings on the Disney Channel, eventually creating multiple channels. Now with Disney+, they can accelerate their plans and offer even more content.

I was trying to be succinct in my examples earlier.
twilly
AG
Which brings up another subject...

So far only OT/PT, and even Old Republic material has been announced/rumored for Disney+. There hasn't been any mention of ST material for the streaming channel.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I would love a series based loosely on Wraith Squadron... X-Wing pilots with secondary skill sets in demolition, infiltration, and espionage
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
twilly said:

Which brings up another subject...

So far only OT/PT, and even Old Republic material has been announced/rumored for Disney+. There hasn't been any mention of ST material for the streaming channel.

There's a rumored Finn-and-Poe series, but no idea if there's any truth to it or not...
AliasMan02
AG
Episode IV said:

I would love a series based loosely on Wraith Squadron... X-Wing pilots with secondary skill sets in demolition, infiltration, and espionage

The book Alphabet Squadron gets into this territory a bit. Agree it would be a great streaming series.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Episode IV said:

The book Alphabet Squadron gets into this territory a bit. Agree it would be a great streaming series.
I suppose it's the old in me, but I hope that with such a potential series on the small screen, the visual effects budget will be equivalent to what they would have for the big screen. Those of us who remember the weekly Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers series of the late 70s remember how awful those visual effects were. The only exception was the original Galactica movie, that was made for TV, but later was released in "Sensurround" to theaters ... that was filled with Star Wars quality visual effects (was John Dykstra responsible for those effects as well, I cannot recall?)
JCRiley09
AG
Lol. With the Disney vault, existing Star Wars, and marvel universe, I was never questioning whether I would pay for Disney+. #takemymoney
First Page Last Page
Page 840 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.