Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,125 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, it's not like B&W are going to direct any of the movies in this series (only write and produce), and Rian will likely only direct the first movie of his trilogy. There will be multiple opportunities for female directors across both series.

Was gonna say the same. It's so ridiculous. Their incredible success as writers and producers mean nothing to a lot of people. Or actually, very few people who are very loud.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, it's not like B&W are going to direct any of the movies in this series (only write and produce), and Rian will likely only direct the first movie of his trilogy. There will be multiple opportunities for female directors across both series.
That's a good catch, I hadn't even noticed.

Even further proof that this outrage is ridiculous and completely misplaced.
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Here we go. I hate this bull*****

If it makes it better, she's also still getting ragetweeted about for casting too many women as heroines, so I guess she's screwed either way.

Kathleen is melting so many snowflakes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Assuming this is Old Republic (or an unrelated series like Rian's trilogy), I do wonder why the Obi-Wan movie has yet to be announced, if it really is happening. You'd think that project, being further along, would've gotten an official announcement first.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Assuming this is Old Republic (or an unrelated series like Rian's trilogy), I do wonder why the Obi-Wan movie has yet to be announced, if it really is happening. You'd think that project, being further along, would've gotten an official announcement first.

I'd guess that they want to keep closer tabs on early development. Naming somebody the godfather of a series is more big picture.
TV Casualty
AG
AliasMan02 said:

TCTTS said:

Was gonna say the same. It's so ridiculous. Their incredible success as writers and producers mean nothing to a lot of people. Or actually, very few people who are very loud.

They probably got on the radar of the SJW types because of their connection to HBO's Confederate.

I'm liking it because it might actually mean that Disney is going to give a team a chance to write a decent script for once. These Disney Star Wars movies have felt very rushed.
TCTTS
AG
If anything, I think this announcement helps paint a clearer picture of what the Star Wars universe will become, but also indicates that we're finally reaching the end of Star Wars as we've known it for over 40 years. 2020 is looking to be the year the Skywalker saga/timeline will ultimately come to an end, at which point we will have had a nice and tidy FOUR trilogies telling one basic story (listed in chronological order)...

THE PREQUEL TRILOGY
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
2002 - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
2005 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

THE ANTHOLOGY TRILOGY
2018 - Solo: A Star Wars Story
2020 - Kenobi: A Star Wars Story
2016 - Rogue One: A Story Story

THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY
1977 - Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
1980 - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
1983 - Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

THE SEQUEL TRILOGY
2015 - Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
2017 - Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
2019 - Star Wars: Episode IX

Let's say Rain Johnson's new trilogy, which will most likely take place after the events of Episode IX, but in "another corner of the galaxy," sees its first film release in 2021. And then Benioff & Weiss' "series" - which I'm betting ultimately becomes a trilogy and takes place far in the past, essentially doing their take on the Old Republic, which only makes sense considering their Game of Thrones pedigree - sees its first film release in 2022. We would then have two trilogies - one focused on the future and one focused on the far past - running simultaneously, which would be pretty amazing. I could see it likely going something like this...

THE "NEW" TRILOGY
2021 - Untitled Rian Johnson Star Wars Project Part I
2023 - Untitled Rian Johnson Star Wars Project Part II
2025 - Untitled Rian Johnson Star Wars Project Part III

THE "OLD REPUBLIC" TRILOGY
2022 - Untitled Benioff & Weiss Star Wars Project Part I
2024 - Untitled Benioff & Weiss Star Wars Project Part II
2026 - Untitled Benioff & Weiss Star Wars Project Part III

Who knows if that's how it'll really go down, and I could definitely see Disney/Lucasfilm taking a year off between Kenobi and Rian Johnson's first movie in order to build anticipation and separate the eras a bit more (in that case this whole thing would begin in 2022 and potentially end in 2027), but I'm guessing some iteration of above is how it'll all play out.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Its because when they announce that the next anthology film is about Kenobi, the SJW will be out in arms because its about another white male.

What they really want is a truth film.

Oola: A Twi'lek Slave Dancer's Story
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

THE ANTHOLOGY TRILOGY
I don't really see these as a trilogy.

You don't think standalone spinoff movies will continue after Kenobi?
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

THE ANTHOLOGY TRILOGY

I can see a set of movies set in the old republic, another in the Mandalorian Wars, another in the lower levels.

And what I hope will be a star wars equivalent of room 104; a show time after dark series about random hook ups that start as blind dates in a booth at Dexter jetster's dinner.
Toptierag2018
TCTTS said:

GOT sucks when they don't have the books to go off of. Not too hopeful for this.
powerbelly
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

TCTTS said:

GOT sucks when they don't have the books to go off of. Not too hopeful for this.

The books also started strong and then quickly ran out of steam. Not sure what they could have done better
Belton Ag
AG
Ah yes, seems the time is nigh for a good old fashioned GOT books vs TV fight. Someone should really kick the Star Wars thread up a notch and post a gumbo recipe while we're at it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

If anything, I think this announcement helps paint a clearer picture of what the Star Wars universe will become, but also indicates that we're finally reaching the end of Star Wars as we've known it for over 40 years. 2020 is looking to be the year the Skywalker saga/timeline will ultimately come to an end, at which point we will have had a nice and tidy FOUR trilogies telling one basic story (listed in chronological order)...

THE PREQUEL TRILOGY
1999 - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
2002 - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
2005 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

THE ANTHOLOGY TRILOGY

THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY
1977 - Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
1980 - Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
1983 - Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

THE SEQUEL TRILOGY
2015 - Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
2017 - Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
2019 - Star Wars: Episode IX

Let's say Rain Johnson's new trilogy, which will most likely take place after the events of Episode IX, but in "another corner of the galaxy," sees its first film release in 2021. And then Benioff & Weiss' "series" - which I'm betting ultimately becomes a trilogy and takes place far in the past, essentially doing their take on the Old Republic, which only makes sense considering their Game of Thrones pedigree - sees its first film release in 2022. We would then have two trilogies - one focused on the future and one focused on the far past - running simultaneously, which would be pretty amazing. I could see it likely going something like this...

THE "NEW" TRILOGY
2021 - Untitled Rian Johnson Star Wars Project Part I
2023 - Untitled Rian Johnson Star Wars Project Part II
2025 - Untitled Rian Johnson Star Wars Project Part III

THE "OLD REPUBLIC" TRILOGY
2022 - Untitled Benioff & Weiss Star Wars Project Part I
2024 - Untitled Benioff & Weiss Star Wars Project Part II
2026 - Untitled Benioff & Weiss Star Wars Project Part III

Who knows if that's how it'll really go down, and I could definitely see Disney/Lucasfilm taking a year off between Kenobi and Rian Johnson's first movie in order to build anticipation and separate the eras a bit more (in that case this whole thing would begin in 2022 and potentially end in 2027), but I'm guessing some iteration of above is how it'll all play out.

Damn.

Seeing as how I had a total of 3 SW movies for a 21 year period of my life....1977-1998
and then 3 more rather unfortunate ones for the next 15 years 1999-2014

At that point around 2006-2013 - I never thought I would see 3 more in my lifetime

I cannot imagine if by 2027 I will have 12 more SW movies (3 and counting) .....holy hell.

bearamedic99
AG
  • dp
bearamedic99
AG
Belton Ag said:

Ah yes, seems the time is nigh for a good old fashioned GOT books vs TV fight. Someone should really kick the Star Wars thread up a notch and post a gumbo recipe while we're at it.
  • 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 tablespoons margarine
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 8 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 3 stalks celery chopped
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley, stems and leaves, coarsely chopped, plus chopped leaves for garnish
  • 4 cups hot water
  • 5 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 (14-ounce can) stewed tomatoes with juice
  • 2 cups frozen sliced okra
  • 4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
  • 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove. Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of margarine and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes. Let the roux cool.

Return the Dutch oven to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste and the 1/4 bunch parsley. Cook, while stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups hot water and bouillon cubes, whisking constantly. Add the chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add tomatoes and okra. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and chopped parsley.

Anyone hope there will be a Wedge Antilles and/or Rogue Squadron series (TV or big screen)? They use the formula from Rogue One but add more space battles.
redline248
AG
I would totally dig a Rogue Squadron movie, I wonder how confusing it would be to audiences.

By the way, is Luke leading Rogue Squadron still canon?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

THE ANTHOLOGY TRILOGY

Of course they don't make for a proper trilogy, but they're three movies that all take place around the same time, just before the original trilogy. Point is, they line up nicely and help round out that story in a segmented way.

And as I said, I think the B&W movies will take the place of the standalone movies, at least as long as the B&W movies run. I think it would get way too crazy and unwieldy to have two distinct series running at the same time, and then ALSO throw some random one-offs into the batch as well.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG

Quote:

"We are developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct-to-consumer app. We've mentioned that and we are close to being able to reveal at least one of the interties that is developing that for us. Because the deal isn't completely closed, we can't be specific about that," said Iger during an earnings call (via The Hollywood Reporter). "I think you'll find the level of talent on the television front will be rather significant as well."
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

"We are developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct-to-consumer app. We've mentioned that and we are close to being able to reveal at least one of the interties that is developing that for us. Because the deal isn't completely closed, we can't be specific about that," said Iger during an earnings call (via The Hollywood Reporter). "I think you'll find the level of talent on the television front will be rather significant as well."

I think it's foolish to think that one won't be animated. It seems like it's time for them to reach down and grab a younger crowd again, so that's one bet.

I think Filoni will get the nod to go live-action, finally, and he'll continue to work forward in the timeline and do a series that revolves around another mixed group of scrappy good guys, but this time in the fledgling New Republic, post-Jakku. Hunting down Imperial remnant warlords and such. I bet they could draw a big name or two to do that on their app, with all of the scheduling advantages that sort of platform enjoys.

If they're gonna reach into the EU, you know what's not crazy? A series centered on Dash Rendar in some way or other. Doing an updated Shadows of the Empire would be cool, but there's no way they recast Luke or Leia for TV, so they could have him lead a crew of New Republic soldiers or whatever on some sort of extended mission.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Belton Ag said:

Dekker_Lentz
AG
redline248 said:

I would totally dig a Rogue Squadron movie, I wonder how confusing it would be to audiences.

By the way, is Luke leading Rogue Squadron still canon?

Yeah, Luke leads Rogue Group in Empire and that is canon.
TCTTS
AG
tamusc
AG
TCTTS said:

I will laugh so hard at all the wailing and gnashing from the SJWs who were pissed about the announcement yesterday if this is true.

I wonder if this was leaked to blunt some of that criticism and keep it from looking like these potential hires were a reaction to that criticism. I want Disney to hire the best creative team they can, regardless of what they look like and identify as and not be pressured into making a hire that might be a disservice to both parties.

Good for Disney, regardless.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Cause that's been an issue in the past...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
further anthology ideas:

I, Lobot
When 4LOM met Zuckuss
Who's the Bossk?
Answers to Questions George Lucas said he would answer in the prequels but never did.
Padme and the Handmaidens (you know what this one is about)
Captain Typho and the New Eyepatch
Under the Tusken Sun
Gone with the Windu
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maulrats
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maulrats
ok thanks a lot... i snorted coke up my nose...and i mean coca cola.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
FL_Ag1998
AG
(In regards to the article in twitter post above) There's something wrong with your worldview if Lucasfilm brings on board the frontrunners of a great show like GoT and your first reaction is, "Great, two more white guys".
txagman1998
AG
IG-88 is Enough
2-1B, M.D.
World Series of Sabacc
Thrawn Stars
wangus12
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 677 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.