Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,931 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also can't load the article without a sub. no thanks.

But I don't care anyway. I didn't grade it on a curve. It has issues admittedly.... but to call it horrible is just childish. There are tons of actually horrible movies.

Just last year in 2017 these were godawful and I don't even see really bad movies usually.

The Shack 20% on RT and 6.3 on IMDB
Baywatch 18% on RT and 5.6 on IMDB
Kingsman: The Golden Circle 51% on RT and 6.9 on IMDB

If you did not enjoy TLJ more than those movies - YOU are the one grading on a scale and downgrading it because it is a SW movie.

Toptierag2018
I don't like where this new trilogy is going at all. So in my own mind this is all the Star Wars story I need right now, and I have a collection of all of these set up.

Original trilogy
Shadows of the Empire book (takes place between ESB and ROTJ)
Marvel Star Wars and Vadar comics (takes place between ANH and ESB)
The Thrawn trilogy books (starts 5 years after ROTJ)

I liked Rogue One but since it's not about the main characters I left it out for now.
fig96
AG
wesag said:

BernArnold said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Finally overtook Beauty and the Beast worldwide as the #1 movie of 2017.

Up to #6 all-time (unadjusted).

Also moved into #44 all-time Adjusted. Passed RO and the Prequels 1 and 2 among others.

#2 domestic BO for SW movies behind only TFA - which it won't pass of course.

And up to #10 all-time worldwide BO.

Not bad for a bomb.

I got your great movie right here BenedictArnold

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/12/18/its-time-to-stop-grading-movies-like-star-wars-the-last-jedi-on-a-curve/
Why are you so insistent on trying to convince everyone to not like the film? His post said nothing about the quality of the film but mentioned the box office, but just like many other times people have brought up anything positive about the movie in this thread you have this innate need to bash it. Grow up.
Velvet Jones
AG
Staff, can we get a clean up on aisle 13?
fig96
AG
VanZandt92 said:

wesag said:

BernArnold said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also moved into #44 all-time Adjusted. Passed RO and the Prequels 1 and 2 among others.

Not bad for a bomb.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/12/18/its-time-to-stop-grading-movies-like-star-wars-the-last-jedi-on-a-curve/

Legit review
I feel like a lot of the reviews are half fair points (it's not a perfect film and have no problem saying that) and half personal opinion that's introduced as fact.

In particular, really don't get this criticism:
Quote:

To a lesser extent, the same is true of Luke Skywalker's (Mark Hamill) actual death, which comes after the reveal that his exciting faceoff with Kylo Ren wasn't in person, but rather the result of the most intense meditation session in movie history. There's a good potential explanation for this choice: that Luke wants to face down and apologize to his former pupil without putting Kylo Ren in a situation where he could kill another person, and further, that Luke wants to die on his own terms instead. Unfortunately, this isn't a rational move that appears in the text of the movie, which instead makes it look as if Luke pulled off this jazzy astral projection for no particular reason.
Why is the potential explanation not one that the viewer can draw for themself? I feel like people are complaining the movie is dumbed down or not smart in places, then want something that seemed pretty logical to me explicitly spelled out.

And if you didn't like the way that all played out that's fine, but in that case you didn't like the way the story was told. That's a difference of opinion, not a legit flaw.
amercer
AG
I don't think it's worth arguing about anymore. The next movie will either tie everything up nicely and thus make TLJ look great, or it will be a mess and TLJ will look like the disaster that proceeded it.

No pressure JJ
Flashdiaz
AG
amercer said:

I don't think it's worth arguing about anymore. The next movie will either tie everything up nicely and thus make TLJ look great, or it will be a mess and TLJ will look like the disaster that proceeded it.

No pressure JJ
it's going to be interesting for sure what JJ does.

JJ setup the possibility Rey's parents were of some importance, Rian made them nobodies.
JJ created and used Kylo Ren's mask, Rian 'take that mask off it's ridiculous' and destroyed it.
JJ hinted at the Knight's of Ren twice, Rian... nothing.
JJ created a larger than life puppet master Snoke, Rian killed him halfway through the story without any explanation on how he got into power.
JJ created Captain Phasma, Rian killed her.
JJ created Hux and had him be somewhat of Kylo's peer, Rian made him a running joke and a peon to Kylo.

Will JJ revisit some of his themes, can he close out and answer questions rather than creating them?
Belton Ag
AG
wesag said:

BernArnold said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not bad for a bomb.

Oh em gee! I was totally into the movie until Alyssa Rosenburg from the WaPo completely changed my mind.

And it was all thanks to your silly message board crusade, Wesag. Thank you so much.
Pro Ag
AG
redline248 said:

Combining new and old

I am currently listening to Tarkin and was excited he was mentioned if only in passing. I know it's no longer canon, but I really enjoyed Darth Plagueis and still hold out hope that is really who Snoke was given his scars. And since we probably won't get anything in the new canon, I can just go with that thought on my own.
redline248
AG
Flashdiaz said:

amercer said:

No pressure JJ

JJ setup the possibility Rey's parents were of some importance, Rian made them nobodies.
JJ created and used Kylo Ren's mask, Rian 'take that mask off it's ridiculous' and destroyed it.
JJ created a larger than life puppet master Snoke, Rian killed him halfway through the story without any explanation on how he got into power.
JJ created Hux and had him be somewhat of Kylo's peer, Rian made him a running joke and a peon to Kylo.

Will JJ revisit some of his themes, can he close out and answer questions rather than creating them?
Also thrown out the window was Kylo's obsession to be the next Vader. There are so many things that Rian just didn't even try to carry over.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

Flashdiaz said:

amercer said:

No pressure JJ

Also thrown out the window was Kylo's obsession to be the next Vader. There are so many things that Rian just didn't even try to carry over.

I can counter these pretty easily - and although I thought some might have importance I am not upset if they do not end up that way really.

me: JJ set up that Rey's parents were important TO HER. But even JJ discounted that in TFA with Maz saying they were never coming back. thats not something new.
me: keep in mind also , Kylo may not have been telling the truth about her parents. we don't know

me: JJ already had people mocking the mask in TFA including Po and Rey specifically. It was obviously an impedance to his character growth. It was mostly discarded halfway through TFA. I think Rian just realized he needed to get rid of it completely. Don't blame him. the character wa repeatedly mocked for it by both friend and foe. It made sense to me.

me: ok but that doesn't mean it still won't be part of the story. we don't know. this story really took place over a few days/week. it could still be important.

me: BAH my biggest pet peeve with critics.... ummm the emperor was introduced out of nowhere in ESB and killed in RotJ without any explanation or backstory, until the prequels. Yes I know he was mentioned briefly in SW. Still....no clue who he was or where he came from throughout the OT.

me: ok this one is baffling but really she was handled poorly by both. JJ did not give her any depth or plot really and certainly no backstory either. Didn't care really that Rian killed her because JJ made me not care about her.

me: ok he was already a bit of a joke in TFA. that over the top NAZI-esque speech was just bizarre and fans were already not taking him seriously. HP/Weasley jokes were rampant since TFA. While he was kinda a peer in TFA that was seemingly because Snoke was handling them....with Snoke gone of course Kylo would exert control over him and make him minimalized.

Flashdiaz
AG
BernArnold said:

me: JJ set up that Rey's parents were important TO HER. But even JJ discounted that in TFA with Maz saying they were never coming back. thats not something new.
me: keep in mind also , Kylo may not have been telling the truth about her parents. we don't know

me: JJ already had people mocking the mask in TFA including Po and Rey specifically. It was obviously an impedance to his character growth. It was mostly discarded halfway through TFA. I think Rian just realized he needed to get rid of it completely. Don't blame him. the character wa repeatedly mocked for it by both friend and foe. It made sense to me.

me: ok but that doesn't mean it still won't be part of the story. we don't know. this story really took place over a few days/week. it could still be important.

me: BAH my biggest pet peeve with critics.... ummm the emperor was introduced out of nowhere in ESB and killed in RotJ without any explanation or backstory, until the prequels. Yes I know he was mentioned briefly in SW. Still....no clue who he was or where he came from throughout the OT.

me: ok this one is baffling but really she was handled poorly by both. JJ did not give her any depth or plot really and certainly no backstory either. Didn't care really that Rian killed her because JJ made me not care about her.

me: ok he was already a bit of a joke in TFA. that over the top NAZI-esque speech was just bizarre and fans were already not taking him seriously. HP/Weasley jokes were rampant since TFA. While he was kinda a peer in TFA that was seemingly because Snoke was handling them....with Snoke gone of course Kylo would exert control over him and make him minimalized.

I actually agree with most of this... just pointing out that Rian seemed to discard several things JJ introduced. I hope JJ returns the favor and kills off Rose in the first 5 min of episode 9.
redline248
AG
Quote:

The difference here, for me, is that Vader was set up as the big bad guy in Star Wars. The emperor was only mentioned in passing. In TFA, Kylo was the young, impulsive villain, and Snoke was setup as the main bad guy controlling everything.

Vader was always bad, as far as we knew. Kylo was manipulated and turned by Snoke.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Did you or did you not care about Snoke after watching TFA?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Did you or did you not care about Snoke after watching TFA?

Not really no.... why would a dude we saw in hologram briefly twice be that important. Mildly interesting at best.

TFA story was obviously Rey, Kylo, Finn, Po. at least the one i watched.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

The difference here, for me, is that Vader was set up as the big bad guy in Star Wars. The emperor was only mentioned in passing. In TFA, Kylo was the young, impulsive villain, and Snoke was setup as the main bad guy controlling everything.

Vader was always bad, as far as we knew. Kylo was manipulated and turned by Snoke.

Vader in SW yes I agree.

but Vader in ESB was definitely subordinate to the Emperor who was the main bad guy really controlling Vader and the empire forces. for example:

Admiral Piett: The Emperor commands you make contact with him. (to Vader)
Darth Vader: Move the ship out of the asteroid field so that we can send a clear transmission.

Obi-Wan: It is you and your abilities The Emperor wants. That is why your friends were made to suffer.
Luke: That's why I have to go.
Obi-Wan: Luke. I don't want to lose you to The Emperor, the way I lost Vader.
Luke: You won't.

Darth Vader: What is thy bidding, my master?
Emperor Palpatine: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
Darth Vader: I have felt it.
Emperor Palpatine: We have a new enemy. Luke Skywalker.
Darth Vader: Yes, my master.
Emperor Palpatine: He could destroy us.
Darth Vader: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
Emperor Palpatine: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker cannot become a Jedi.
Darth Vader: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.
Emperor Palpatine: Yes... Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
Darth Vader: He will join us, or die, my master.

Lando: Lord Vader, we only use this facility for carbon freezing. You put him in there, it might kill him!
Darth Vader: I do not want the Emperor's prize damaged. We will test it... on Captain Solo.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Vader in SW yes I agree.
I get where you're coming from, but I think you're forgetting one thing - the scene in Tarkin's conference room with the great line, "I find your lack of faith disturbing" when Vader is choking the Imperial officer who dares to question Vader, and Tarkin orders Vader to release the officer. To me that always implied that Vader was not the top dog of the Empire in those years between Star Wars and Empire. And that one throw-away line referencing the emperor was pretty clearly pointing to who the top dog was.

edit - Empire, Jedi and the prequels just fleshed out who the top dog was
DB Coach
AG
Here is some interesting info regarding Star Wars canon as well as hints of what Disney's SW themed Park will be like:

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/inside-lucasfilm%E2%80%99s-top-secret-star-wars-database-fandom-files-13
cbr
AG
i've about checked out here, i hate this crappy movie, but i checked back in just to say that I can forgive really bad graphics and acting if the story is somewhat interesting, if simple - (prequels).... no problem.

i really can't forgive jar jar, but he's better than finn or rose, for sure.

what gets me is REALLY pathetic humor, ABSOLUTELY NONSENSICAL storyline, and RANDOM demeaning and absurd destruction of childhood heroes with no sense or direction whatsoever.

and they STILL managed to polish it off with bull**** PC politics and bad graphics again, even in a top budget 2017 movie.

unreal.

I think literally ANYONE could have made a better plot line.
fig96
AG
Thanks, I was still very unclear as to how you felt about the film.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga's most unlikely heroes.

Solo: A Star Wars Story releases in U.S. theaters on May 25, 2018.
TCTTS
AG
If there was any question at all, the May release date has been officially confirmed once again. It ain't moving.
TCTTS
AG
Also, this has to signify a trailer any day now. I would be surprised if we still don't have one by this time next week.
wangus12
AG
Give me a damn trailer already
double aught
AG
wangus12 said:

Can I interest you in a trailer for the trailer? Those are really awesome!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://nerdist.com/solo-star-wars-obi-wan-kenobi-cameo-nerdist-news/
WestAustinAg
AG
This is the most honest review of Star Wars TLJ I've seen to date:

aggiephoenix02
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Vader in SW yes I agree.
I get where you're coming from, but I think you're forgetting one thing - the scene in Tarkin's conference room with the great line, "I find your lack of faith disturbing" when Vader is choking the Imperial officer who dares to question Vader, and Tarkin orders Vader to release the officer. To me that always implied that Vader was not the top dog of the Empire in those years between Star Wars and Empire. And that one throw-away line referencing the emperor was pretty clearly pointing to who the top dog was.

edit - Empire, Jedi and the prequels just fleshed out who the top dog was
Dilly, Dilly...
aggiephoenix02
double aught said:

wangus12 said:

Can I interest you in a trailer for the trailer? Those are really awesome!
GIVE ME A FIX!

I NEED MY FIX! WTF IS TAKING SO LONG?!?! ANSWER THE PHONE ALREADY (call to my drug dealer)!!!!
SeattleAgJr
TLJ formally pulled from all Chinese theatres after two weeks.

Bombed pretty hard for China, and did not help grow the franchise there is any way.
aggiephoenix02
WestAustinAg said:

This is the most honest review of Star Wars TLJ I've seen to date:

These guys problem with the movie isn't the movie itself, it's that they're so ignorant about what is actually happening and what's going on. They think they know about StarWars, but they kinda, sorta don't.

The StarWars fans that have let the movie franchise (all of it), influence their lives, and really understand, they digg this movie. The casual fan, while not having total understanding, also digg this movie. The new viewers (i.e. mostly kids), also really like the what's happening and digg the movie...

It seems as though it's only the pretentious, and people that think they understand (but don't quite know as much as they think that they really do), that dislike the movie.

This video is a perfect example of turkeys that don't like the movie because they "know it isn't real StarWars", or "it doesn't deliver what StarWars fans wanted out of the movie." Get over yourselves already...

Edit: What I'm saying is these two guys are perfect examples of the turkeys on this thread complaining about all the wrong things...
SeattleAgJr
aggiephoenix02 said:

Quote:

It seems as though it's only the pretentious, and people that think they understand (but don't quite know as much as they think that they really do), that dislike the movie.

wow.

talking about pretentious.
Ulrich
Last week the defense was that the only people who hated TLJ were the uber nerds who had too many detailed expectations based on legends lore and fanboy speculation. You're going the opposite, which is actually an indication that it's not one easily identified segment of the fan base that had issues with the movie.
wesag
AG
Lol what? There have been legitimate problems spelled out by multiple posters on these threads.
wesag
AG
cbr said:

i've about checked out here, i hate this crappy movie, but i checked back in just to say that I can forgive really bad graphics and acting if the story is somewhat interesting, if simple - (prequels).... no problem.

i really can't forgive jar jar, but he's better than finn or rose, for sure.

what gets me is REALLY pathetic humor, ABSOLUTELY NONSENSICAL storyline, and RANDOM demeaning and absurd destruction of childhood heroes with no sense or direction whatsoever.

and they STILL managed to polish it off with bull**** PC politics and bad graphics again, even in a top budget 2017 movie.

unreal.

I think literally ANYONE could have made a better plot line.

I don't know how you can call it a plot. And the humor I think came about because of the guardians of the Galaxy popularity, in my opinion.
First Page Last Page
Page 664 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.