Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,838 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
aggiephoenix02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Attack me all you want, but it seems as if only dumbasses that think they understand and know more than they really do dislike the movie.

Oh, you're a StarWars fan and you don't like the movie? OKAY

I haven't talked to a single person in real life that didn't like the movie. I heard people say they didn't like this one thing, or that one thing, but I haven't yet met someone in real life that dislike the movie like the posters on here seem to.

It also seems like it's the same damn posters over and over again that are the ones that don't like the movie. We heard you the first few times, get over it and go to another thread! Stop pooping in the same spot over and over, go to another part of the forest to take your daily poo...
wesag
AG
BernArnold said:

Also can't load the article without a sub. no thanks.

But I don't care anyway. I didn't grade it on a curve. It has issues admittedly.... but to call it horrible is just childish. There are tons of actually horrible movies.

Just last year in 2017 these were godawful and I don't even see really bad movies usually.

The Shack 20% on RT and 6.3 on IMDB
Baywatch 18% on RT and 5.6 on IMDB
Kingsman: The Golden Circle 51% on RT and 6.9 on IMDB

If you did not enjoy TLJ more than those movies - YOU are the one grading on a scale and downgrading it because it is a SW movie.

You don't need a subscription unless you've read too many Washington post articles and then you get blocked. It's a good review.
wesag
AG
this is the Star Wars thread.
aggiephoenix02
wesag said:

Exactly. It's not the "I'm going to argue and complain with y'all about the same crap everyday even though I've already said what I don't like about what I already said I don't like over and over."

You have the choice to live a happy life, or be "right, and justified in your misery and anger". These same few posters just want to wallow in their unappreciation and misery of not being satisfied by something that they don't deem good enough.

But I guess you're right, it isn't just the Star Wars Discussion Thread, it's also the Star Wars Suck Discussion Thread...
SeattleAgJr
aggiephoenix02 said:

wesag said:

Exactly. It's not the "I'm going to argue and complain with y'all about the same crap everyday even though I've already said what I don't like about what I already said I don't like over and over."

You have the choice to live a happy life, or be "right, and justified in your misery and anger". These same few posters just want to wallow in their unappreciation and misery of not being satisfied by something that they don't deem good enough.

But I guess you're right, it isn't just the Star Wars Discussion Thread, it's also the Star Wars Suck Discussion Thread...
and yet you keep ****ing going on and on about it. after just complaining about others going on and on about complaining about it.

don 't like the discourse? move on. but you have repeatedly made statements indicating you believe your P is the only right and valid one.

it was an OK movie. It was a ****ty Star Wars movie. /EOT.

aggiephoenix02
SeattleAgJr said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

wesag said:

and yet you keep ****ing going on and on about it. after just complaining about others going on and on about complaining about it.

don 't like the discourse? move on. but you have repeatedly made statements indicating you believe your P is the only right and valid one.

Fine, I'm done with Texags until Solo comes out. You dumbasses have fun complaining about a movie franchise y'all like so much...
fig96
AG
wesag said:

cbr said:

i've about checked out here, i hate this crappy movie, but i checked back in just to say that I can forgive really bad graphics and acting if the story is somewhat interesting, if simple - (prequels).... no problem.

i really can't forgive jar jar, but he's better than finn or rose, for sure.

what gets me is REALLY pathetic humor, ABSOLUTELY NONSENSICAL storyline, and RANDOM demeaning and absurd destruction of childhood heroes with no sense or direction whatsoever.

and they STILL managed to polish it off with bull**** PC politics and bad graphics again, even in a top budget 2017 movie.

unreal.

I think literally ANYONE could have made a better plot line.

I don't know how you can call it a plot. And the humor I think came about because of the guardians of the Galaxy popularity, in my opinion.
You two are seriously entertaining. "I've about checked out, but let me write just four more completely hyperbolic paragraphs in case the other 26 posts where I've stated how much I hate it weren't quite clear..."

You didn't like it, we get it. And you're free to dislike the movie or the story as much as you want.

But to say things like "you can't even call it a plot" and "ABSOLUTELY NONSENSICAL" removes any credibility from your comments. While you may not have liked the choices made, the events flowed together and there have even been write ups explaining in detail why they felt those choices were made.

Not liking the choices that were made is a totally valid opinion, and you've made that quite clear, but acting like this is the worst thing ever made is either totally biased or shows a lack of understanding of story and plot.
redline248
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
I just don't see how anyone can seriously say Finn/Rose was worse than Jar Jar. Don't let nearly two decades make you forget about what Jar Jar was: all of the worst humor in TLJ wrapped up into a racist cartoon rabbit man
The Collective
AG
Ani's panty dropper game > Kylo's.
Flashdiaz
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

wesag said:

Fine, I'm done with Texags until Solo comes out. You dumbasses have fun complaining about a movie franchise y'all like so much...
um, ok. That's exactly what this thread is for.
Take care...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think his point is - most of y'alls complaints have been heard by now.

A number of people have continued to bring the discussion back to how much they hated the movie, even when I'm posting about unrelated things such as box office numbers.

By all means, this is the discussion thread, but at some point this needs to stop being a feedback loop for both sides.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Hopefully we get a Solo trailer to change the focus here. Alas, I expect TLJ vitriol to pop up again toward a movie deemed by many as "unwanted".
Urban Ag
AG
Not me. I want it. Familiar characters. Wild west, underworld setting, Empire probably in the background. Chewie. And give me all the Emilia Clark you can. I'm in.
The Collective
AG
Urban Ag said:

And give me all the Emilia Clark you can. I'm in.

Is it ok to have nudity in Star Wars?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CJS4715 said:

Urban Ag said:

In your mind, yes!!!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I may not be excited now, but I'm hoping the trailer changes my mind.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CJS4715 said:

Urban Ag said:

You know Chewie is always naked, right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
After the 4-day weekend.

It's now virtually identical with Jurassic World at the same point, but it's hemorrhaging theaters and has already fallen below JW's pace.

Unlikely it gets up to $650M domestic at this point. I think it likely settles in around 630-6340, still good enough to pass Avengers for #4 all-time.
Urban Ag
AG
Good lord some of you take this sh** way too seriously. That's both sides. Those that just can't stop trashing TLJ, the "worst f'ing movie eva " crowd and those of you that get some damn offended by it. Give it a rest.

IMO, it was fun, enjoyable movie. But not much more. It didn't re-capture the magic for me but then again neither did TFA. But at some point it has just gotten lame for grown men to expect it to and then whine on an internet board about it, or about someone else's opinion.

To summarize, I can now enjoy new Star Wars for what it is. A Disney brand that is meant to generate massive revenues at the box office and in merchandising and in the theme parks. It's not going to bring back your childhood. Your kids will likely never be as in to it as you were. JJ and Rian just have not pieced together an storyline here that is keeping me invested in this and I suspect that is true for many who post here. New Star Wars is just not that special. Good, fun, but not special. It's basically Marvel for me.
The Collective
AG
Not sure if true or not, but here is the rumor mill started by Mike Zeroh (so about a 5% chance of being right):

Quote:

It was widely reported by just about everyone save except for Disney and Lucasfilm that the trailer for Solo was going to be featured in the January 12 episode of Good Morning America. That didn't happen. The show came and went without a mention of Han and Chewbacca, and many fans were disappointed. Metro reports that self-described Star Wars expert Mike Zeroh had an answer about the trailer's no show from studio insiders close to the movie. Now, we know some of you absolutely hate Zeroh, so swallow this with a Fathier tranquilizer and you'll feel a little bit better about yourself and the situation. Mike reveals this new information.

"The trailer was supposed to come out on a date which was delayed due to pick-up shots. These will involve two characters, Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, portrayed by Donald Glover. These will be done on a studio and not on location. This is the main reason why the trailer is delayed."
These pick-up shots are scheduled to being tomorrow, January 17, and they will reportedly last a week or more. Then it should take at least a couple of days to pull the perfect shot for the supposed trailer. So we're possibly looking at a mid-February debut for the first footage. Many believe it will come during the Super Bowl. But that also seems unlikely because it could get buried among the other big trailer releases that day. Or, perhaps, burying it is the point? Maybe we can just give the whole movie to the Corellian hounds and let them eat it all away.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Or, perhaps, burying it is the point?
Sadly, I grow more and more convinced of this. I was sure they'd move to December when Deadpool 2 moved up, but now it seems like they just want to bury the movie. Four months and still zero marketing.

I hope that's not the case.
amercer
AG
Just show 15 seconds of the Falcon flying around. Boom teaser trailer done.

Why on earth do you need the "perfect" reshoot to make a trailer? Hell, there was a Deadpool 2 trailer BEFORE they started filming it.
The Collective
AG
amercer said:

Why on earth do you need the "perfect" reshoot to make a trailer? Hell, there was a Deadpool 2 trailer BEFORE they started filming it.

I think the rumor is bs, however, they are past the point of putting out a falcon flying teaser. They should have done that months ago.
The Collective
AG
Entertaining seeing all of this spliced together.

SIAP.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Urban Ag said:

Good lord some of you take this sh** way too seriously. That's both sides. Those that just can't stop trashing TLJ, the "worst f'ing movie eva " crowd and those of you that get some damn offended by it. Give it a rest.

IMO, it was fun, enjoyable movie. But not much more. It didn't re-capture the magic for me but then again neither did TFA. But at some point it has just gotten lame for grown men to expect it to and then whine on an internet board about it, or about someone else's opinion.

To summarize, I can now enjoy new Star Wars for what it is. A Disney brand that is meant to generate massive revenues at the box office and in merchandising and in the theme parks. It's not going to bring back your childhood. Your kids will likely never be as in to it as you were. JJ and Rian just have not pieced together an storyline here that is keeping me invested in this and I suspect that is true for many who post here. New Star Wars is just not that special. Good, fun, but not special. It's basically Marvel for me.

And that's totally fair I think.

you can like it or dislike it, but calling it the worst ever or acting like it ruined something is absurd.

PS I don't see anyone that did like it defending it as the best ever by the way or telling people they have no cause for any gripes. More like you say; it was enjoyable. I may disagree with you that it didn't recapture the magic. while it may not have completely, for me it definitely had some magic moments that were really good. And there are valid complaints. It's the over the top hyperbole of worst ever that grinds me. that's purely intended to get a reaction and based on nothing but their own built up expectations or demands.

it's a movie. go in with little expectations and you either enjoy it or don't. i think too many people put too much into this.

I think I had the same kind of anticipation for the prequels and then was let down considerably. and I pan them mercilessly. That jaded me a bit and I have lower expectations for these. I'm just thrilled to have SW again and not green screen crap and wooden acting/directing and political talk. It should be a popcon movie it was the definition of the first popcorn movie really for sci-fi anyway.

Aside:

I still believe the primary age group for those hating it is 25-44 or so. they were too young to see SW in the theaters or at least not where it meant anything. most saw RotJ maybe as their first they can really recall. And they were old enough that they didn't care for the prequels either. They've always had preconceived notions of what SW should be and buildup before they ever saw them.

Those of us 50+ saw SW originally with zero expectations and just enjoyed the ride - by the way, SW is a highly flawed film but nostalgia outweighs all of its flaws.

Those below about 24 grew up on the prequels but also had a better appreciation for OT because their parents were the ones who grew up on it. they see it nostalgically as well. True they are never as into as their parents but they get it and appreciate it. My kids (19 and 22) loved it. Although yes my son likes many other movie franchises better than SW but he still really enjoys them and we love going as a family (repeat viewings) and discussing them ad nauseum.

Just over this break from college we've seen TLJ 3 times and watched ESB, RO and TFA at home on video together.

TCTTS
AG
Please don't listen to single word of that trailer report. That's not at all how any of this works. Never once has a trailer been delayed because of footage needed from reshoots. That doesn't even make sense. What's being reshot MIGHT constitute for 10 minutes of screen time at the absolute most, and even that's being extremely generous. You're telling me they can't cut a trailer from the remaining TWO HOURS of usable footage? Heck, even Rogue One had a trailer long before 40% of that movie was reshot. This is such a stupid, baseless report.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Please don't listen to single word of that trailer report. That's not at all how any of this works. Never once has a trailer been delayed because of footage needed from reshoots. That doesn't even make sense. What's being reshot MIGHT constitute for 10 minutes of screen time at the absolute most, and even that's being extremely generous. You're telling me they can't cut a trailer from the remaining TWO HOURS of usable footage? Heck, even Rogue One had a trailer long before 40% of that movie was reshot. This is such a stupid, baseless report.
I've heard stories from friends in VFX and animation about how totally unfinished shots were used in trailers, or go back and look at X shot in a certain trailer and that was composited by them in house by an intern who took a plate from an old film, etc.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Mike Zeroh puts out a Star Wars youtube video about every 4 hours. He can't be wrong, sir!
Urban Ag
AG
great post
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Using unfinished shots and alternate takes in trailers is an extremely common practice.
FTACO97
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

TLJ formally pulled from all Chinese theatres after two weeks.

Bombed pretty hard for China, and did not help grow the franchise there is any way.

This makes absolutely no freakin sense to me. We have the China market to thank for the endless crappy Transformer sequels and the Fast&Furious films continuing ad nauseum. They eat that junk up and boost the box office earnings significantly. Do they just not have an interest in the Star Wars films? I highly doubt they chose not to see it because of negative reviews in the US since they don't follow those for the film series I mentioned before.
The Collective
AG
Unfortunately, China is even dumber than us when it comes to blockbusters. Not a good sign for the future.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FTACO97 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

TLJ formally pulled from all Chinese theatres after two weeks.

Bombed pretty hard for China, and did not help grow the franchise there is any way.

This makes absolutely no freakin sense to me. We have the China market to thank for the endless crappy Transformer sequels and the Fast&Furious films continuing ad nauseum. They eat that junk up and boost the box office earnings significantly. Do they just not have an interest in the Star Wars films? I highly doubt they chose not to see it because of negative reviews in the US since they don't follow those for the film series I mentioned before.

China is an odd duck.

They never really got the OT or the prequels. Those never aired there in theaters only on bootleg videos at most.

TFA was the first movie really shown there and it did well. But it had huge worldwide buildup.

Conjecture here, but I think without any of the other movies as a basis, as a standalone TFA didn't grab many people. It was primarily oriented around nostalgia while introducing new characters. the nostalgia would have fallen flat of course. Without that aspect just how much did Rey, Finn and Po resonate. Not much it appears.

First Page Last Page
Page 665 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.