Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,600 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No one saw the OT in China, so the fan base is small. Although I would have thought it would do better than TFA for that reason.
FTACO97
AG
Urban Ag said:

Good lord some of you take this sh** way too seriously. That's both sides. Those that just can't stop trashing TLJ, the "worst f'ing movie eva " crowd and those of you that get some damn offended by it. Give it a rest.

IMO, it was fun, enjoyable movie. But not much more. It didn't re-capture the magic for me but then again neither did TFA. But at some point it has just gotten lame for grown men to expect it to and then whine on an internet board about it, or about someone else's opinion.

To summarize, I can now enjoy new Star Wars for what it is. A Disney brand that is meant to generate massive revenues at the box office and in merchandising and in the theme parks. It's not going to bring back your childhood. Your kids will likely never be as in to it as you were. JJ and Rian just have not pieced together an storyline here that is keeping me invested in this and I suspect that is true for many who post here. New Star Wars is just not that special. Good, fun, but not special. It's basically Marvel for me.

Disagree on it not re-capturing the magic. After the huge letdown of the prequels, TFA and TLJ have done a great job for me of bringing back that magic of the OT and giving me a great fun ride in both films. These truly feel more like the OT to me. I think JJ and Rian have done a great job with these and I would argue that they are special.

I also find it interesting that your comment about Marvel echoes some other negative mentions I've seen. Is it a majority of those in Star Wars fandom that look down on the Marvel films? I find that kinda odd. I've loved just about all of the Marvel films and think they stand up against any other fandom very well. Is it that you just aren't into comics?
The Collective
AG
They should re-release the prequels in China. Bet they would kill at the box office over there.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
amercer said:

No one saw the OT in China, so the fan base is small. Although I would have thought it would do better than TFA for that reason.

Yeah I posted similar above.

Here is an article I just found which explains it pretty well.

Their entire movie-going culture is really really relatively young - under 30. they have no SW OT or prequel knowledge. the big moments of TFA were Han on the Falcon, Han killed and Luke at the end. none of that would mean anything to most of them.

Other franchises that also had earlier iterations not shown in china - F&F and JW - gave new entries that did well over there, but they did not rely on any past knowledge of the franchise, mythos, etc.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-china-box-office-why-disneys-jedi-mind-trick-isnt-working-china-1075177

Quote:

Partly explaining the erosion, The Force Awakens benefited from pent up curiosity about the Star Wars brand, while Rogue One generated some local excitement with the meaningful roles and well received performances of its Chinese co-stars, Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen.

Last Jedi had neither of these factors going for it, and it also had the bad luck of opening opposite The Ex-File 3: The Return of the Exes, a local romantic comedy that exploded into a surprise hit ($275 million in three weekends).

As many have pointed out, a large part of Star Wars' struggles in China stem from the fact that the original three films never received a wide release in the country (When Star Wars: A New Hope came out in 1977, China was deeply impoverished and only beginning to recover from the ravages of the Cultural Revolution).

"Because of the complex characters and themes, the prequels, and all of the multi-generational layers that are part of the culture, or cult, of Star Wars, it's been hard for young Chinese filmgoers to get into the franchise," says Li.

Dr. Teeth
AG
FTACO97 said:

Is it a majority of those in Star Wars fandom that look down on the Marvel films?
I love both.

My son and I found Thor: Ragnarok at a theater over the weekend, saw it again, and couldn't help talking about how humor worked there but not in TLJ.

The Marvel movies have never taken themselves as seriously as Star Wars has.

cbr
AG
funny... why i bothered to post here... when star wars came out in '77 i was a kid living in a women's shelter in minnesota, where we didnt know a single soul except the scumbag stepdad that caused all that.... so star wars was a nice escape. My grandparents came up and we went to see it at least 10 times that year.

fast forward to 2007, I'm on top of a hotel in shanghai overlooking pudong and everything else, and my counterpart (my age) was telling me that the the british colonial building, (7 story brick on the bund), was the tallest building in shanghai 30 years ago, and that his scientist parents raised him on a collective farm. But in less than 30 years, that skyline DWARFED the greater manhattan area.

the chinese are not likely to 'get' star wars the same way as we do, unless its just out of nostalgia.

Urban Ag
AG
No I thoroughly enjoy the Marvel movies and can't wait for Infinity War. These movies are a lot of fun. Love seeing them with my kids and my boys keep me up to speed because I tend to forget who is who, plot lines, etc.

But that's it. They're fun. I have no emotional connection to them. They're just good entertainment. As for comics, I have not been in to comics since probably the ninth grade. I had a decent collection too but sold them all for beer money in college.

Star Wars (OT) was the single biggest cinematic/entertainment event of my life. Nothing in pop culture shaped me more as a young kid than Star Wars. Even through college I still had posters on the wall of my room in my parents house until they finally remodeled. It was just that big of deal to me.

All I am saying is that thus far the new trilogy hasn't been impactful to me that way. It's fun. I enjoy it for what it is. I'm just not that invested in it the way I was prior to TFA. I don't find the characters or the storyline that compelling. By contrast, I felt completely opposite about Rogue One. I've probably watched five times in the last 13 months.

Always going to be a Star Wars fan. Hoping Solo is better than anticipated. Hope Ep IX is an improvement. And I hope where they take the franchise form there is an improvement (and that they replace Rian).
Urban Ag
AG
I just realized this is page 666

TCTTS
AG
Seems appropriate. I don't know how much more of this TLJ back and forth I can take. I've never been less interested in a Star Wars discussion, save for EU talk. Help us Solo trailer, you're our only hope...
The Devil
Urban Ag said:

#MeToo
Damien Thorn
I believe this is my page to post on now.
Urban Ag
AG
FTACO97
AG
The Devil said:

Urban Ag said:

#MeToo
username checks out...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
The Solo trailer should start with the Harrison Ford shot from TFA saying "Chewie, we're home" and then have a flashback effect to the new film.
wesag
AG
fig96 said:

wesag said:

cbr said:

i've about checked out here, i hate this crappy movie, but i checked back in just to say that I can forgive really bad graphics and acting if the story is somewhat interesting, if simple - (prequels).... no problem.

i really can't forgive jar jar, but he's better than finn or rose, for sure.

what gets me is REALLY pathetic humor, ABSOLUTELY NONSENSICAL storyline, and RANDOM demeaning and absurd destruction of childhood heroes with no sense or direction whatsoever.

and they STILL managed to polish it off with bull**** PC politics and bad graphics again, even in a top budget 2017 movie.

unreal.

I think literally ANYONE could have made a better plot line.

I don't know how you can call it a plot. And the humor I think came about because of the guardians of the Galaxy popularity, in my opinion.
You two are seriously entertaining. "I've about checked out, but let me write just four more completely hyperbolic paragraphs in case the other 26 posts where I've stated how much I hate it weren't quite clear..."

You didn't like it, we get it. And you're free to dislike the movie or the story as much as you want.

But to say things like "you can't even call it a plot" and "ABSOLUTELY NONSENSICAL" removes any credibility from your comments. While you may not have liked the choices made, the events flowed together and there have even been write ups explaining in detail why they felt those choices were made.

Not liking the choices that were made is a totally valid opinion, and you've made that quite clear, but acting like this is the worst thing ever made is either totally biased or shows a lack of understanding of story and plot.

I didn't check out whatsoever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BeCUEo_lEpg
WestAustinAg
AG
FTACO97 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

TLJ formally pulled from all Chinese theatres after two weeks.

Bombed pretty hard for China, and did not help grow the franchise there is any way.

This makes absolutely no freakin sense to me. We have the China market to thank for the endless crappy Transformer sequels and the Fast&Furious films continuing ad nauseum. They eat that junk up and boost the box office earnings significantly. Do they just not have an interest in the Star Wars films? I highly doubt they chose not to see it because of negative reviews in the US since they don't follow those for the film series I mentioned before.
Disney's weak ass attempts to reach the China market is why we have the dancing sword solders in Smoke's throne room and the completely unfortunately character Rose...
WestAustinAg
AG
Page 666

Mama says 666 is the debil...
WestAustinAg
AG
And i'm in my early 50's...Star Wars was the first movie I actually deeply passionately loved...hated TLJ and believe that it might have ruined the enjoyment I have always felt about the franchise.
Farmer1906
AG
I find it odd TLJ could do that after the PT did not.
Jason Ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I find it odd TLJ could do that after the PT did not.

The PT didn't involve Luke, Leia, or Han. Now we have the actual characters/actors back and this is it? I think Hamill can explain:

Farmer1906
AG
I don't agree, but I guess that is fair.

What the PT did to Darth Vader is worse than what we've seen happen to Luke, Han, or Leia.
Jason Ag
AG
Lets hope Han gets better treatment, RO was good, so hopefully, Solo will be too.
VanZandt92
WestAustinAg said:

FTACO97 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

TLJ formally pulled from all Chinese theatres after two weeks.

Bombed pretty hard for China, and did not help grow the franchise there is any way.

This makes absolutely no freakin sense to me. We have the China market to thank for the endless crappy Transformer sequels and the Fast&Furious films continuing ad nauseum. They eat that junk up and boost the box office earnings significantly. Do they just not have an interest in the Star Wars films? I highly doubt they chose not to see it because of negative reviews in the US since they don't follow those for the film series I mentioned before.
Disney's weak ass attempts to reach the China market is why we have the dancing sword solders in Smoke's throne room and the completely unfortunately character Rose...

But martial arts are awesome man!
Ag Since 83
AG
I guess you guys don't like lightsaber fights then. Because they are all just martial arts made to appeal to Asia according to you
Flashdiaz
AG
Rian on the absence of the Knights of Ren:
"We have a very full movie already there literally was just not room for another element"

"I guess I could've used them in place of the Praetorian guards but then it would feel like wasting them because all those guards had to die. And if Kylo had some kind of connection to them it would've added a complication that wouldn't have helped the scene truth is I just didn't see a place for them in the movie."

I'm certainly glad he didn't waste them by making them Snoke's guards. Hopefully JJ uses them... or a spinoff similar (but better) to Suicide Squad.

M.C. Swag
AG
At this point, Id rather just see a spinoff of Luke's jedi academy and Kylo's creation of the Knights of Ren.
Farmer1906
AG
I can see Kylo sitting on the thrown with the Knights that say Ni of Ren acting as his guard like Snoke.
Farmer1906
AG
M.C. Swag said:

At this point, Id rather just see a spinoff of Luke's jedi academy and Kylo's creation of the Knights of Ren.
TLJ kind of spoiled that one.

We saw Luke standing over Kylo.

I guess the build-up could be interesting, but if its anything like Anikin's recruitment I'll pass.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

is that someone you'd trust? seems like there's been some real concern over Solo, so i was glad to read this.
TCTTS
AG
Granted, it's not anyone I know / have heard of before, but I'd like to think I've got a pretty good bullsh*t detector for stuff like this, and this feels legit.
M.C. Swag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

M.C. Swag said:

TLJ kind of spoiled that one.

We saw Luke standing over Kylo.

I guess the build-up could be interesting, but if its anything like Anikin's recruitment I'll pass.
It'd still be cool for a couple reasons:
  • To see Luke actually do Jedi things with a light saber (Mark Hammil is still out there and i refuse to believe his last role as a living jedi on the cinema screen will be remembered as a dude who just waited around to die on a deserted island drinking titty alien milk.)
  • Kylo's corruption by snoke and founding of the Knights of Ren (who are they, what is their purpose, what happened to them)
  • Snoke's backstory. It could start with his rise to power and search for a pupil/disciple.
The Collective
AG
Wait, people hated the scene in Snoke's throne room? I thought it was pretty badass.
Flashdiaz
AG
CJS4715 said:

Wait, people hated the scene in Snoke's throne room? I thought it was pretty badass.
not that I know of. Some were wondering if Snoke's guards were the Knights of Ren. Rian said no because he didn't want to kill them off without giving them more of a backstory.
First Page Last Page
Page 666 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.