Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,683 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Look out. Deadpool 2 now going head-to-head with Solo. I can't figure out why Fox would do this, but a bold move nonetheless, one that says they have a TON of confidence in their sequel. What does this mean for Solo? I have no idea. Part of me honestly wonders if Disney has worked out some kind of deal with Fox to "force their hand" so to speak, and then be able to move Solo without all the negative press that would come with moving it on its own. I seriously doubt that's the case, but something fishy is definitely going on here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
WTF?

That's two movies going head-to-head over basically the same demo.

Is Disney involved in this decision? I can't imagine them wanting to cannibalize both their movies.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

WTF?

That's two movies going head-to-head over basically the same demo.

Is Disney involved in this decision? I can't imagine them wanting to cannibalize both their movies.
R rated Deadpool isn't going to pull in the younger kiddos, but, yes, that seems crazy. Maybe they know something we don't like say Solo to Dec.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll call it now. Solo is moving to December.
Farmer1906
AG
I'm probably not the avg moviegoer (bigger fan of comic book movies & SW) but I would go to Solo on Thur & Deadpool on Fri.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'd go see them back-to-back on the same day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But which one first?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Deadpool. I'm saving Star Wars for last, since it's the best.
The Collective
AG
Everything is under control
TCTTS
AG
As to the overall Disney/Fox deal, I have no idea when Disney actually takes over Fox or if that has even been decided yet. Either way, they obviously could have talked regardless, but I just cannot fathom why Fox would do this unless something else is up. That said, Disney has had EVERY chance to move Solo to December, and EVERYONE had expected the move for months. So why wait all the way until now to do it, especially after your director just a said a Solo trailer is imminent. So weird...
TCTTS
AG
Sh*t. Scratch that. I've been thinking Solo comes out on the 18th and not the 25th (Memorial Day Weekend). Still, same basic issue...
israeliag
AG
Not quite head to head:
Solo comes out 5/25
Deadpool 2 out 5/18

Edit: Or see TC's note ahead of mine
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SeattleAgJr
ok, now solve it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

ok, now solve it.

=A
TCTTS
AG
CJS4715 said:

TCTTS said:

Exactly. Reshoots would not affect a trailer at all. As for the 12th, I would have expected official word by now, but who knows. ESPN doesn't have any more playoff games, so it likely won't be tied to a football game unless it's the Super Bowl, but I have a feeling we're not going to have to wait another three weeks.

Keep an eye out tonight. Think they dropped a 5 second tease for the Rogue One teaser the night before it premiered on GMA.
Assuming this didn't happen tonight? Can't find mention of it anywhere. At this point, I'd be shocked if we got a trailer in the morning...
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
I saw a much more sketchy rumor that it would be released Monday (saw this yesterday afternoon). At this point, there is going to be a rumor almost daily until it is released. Yay.
SeattleAgJr
The teaser trailer was awesome, however they pulled it almost immediately so it could go back for reshoots.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Kinda excited lol..... my daughter is finally going to watch ESB with me tonight!!!!!!

She's 19 and her SW world is a crazy watching order......I doubt anyone else has her whacked order.

She only vaguely remembered maybe parts of the prequels as a small kid because she was so young....I think she didn't go to them really but maybe saw parts on cable from time to time. Her brother went to them and was obsessed but he had already seen the OT also as he was older and into sci fi.

And she wasn't really interested in SW then so despite my son's fascination she never watched the OT back then with us on many many repeated viewings (horses were a much bigger priority, and dancing). but she knew the basic story, characters and even plot points because you just can't miss them. Luke Leia, Han, Vader is Luke's father, etc.

Prior to TFA she saw maybe 5-10 minutes of RotJ with me one day - unfortunately it was an Ewoks fighting stormtroopers part and she thought it was stupid. Although she loves Carrie Fisher so she was mildly intrigued. She had heard Carrie speak at some event and was a big fan as a fellow actress.

Her first actual SW movie was TFA which I insisted the entire family go to, she was 17 then.

here is her watching order since then and related stuff.

1. VII TFA - age 17 - loved it and very intrigued then to learn more about the OT. Loved Rey and Han especially.

2. IV SW (ANH) - 17 - watched on BR she found it kinda slow and dated in effects, but enjoyed it still.

3. III.v RO - 18 - she really liked it but was confused; she had no idea where in the timeline it fit, afterwards she "got it" but while watching she assumed it was yet another "blow up the death star movie" because both TFA and SW had been that story basically...she figured there was another 30 minutes left when suddenly they died and then the Vader and Leia moments happened.

4. VIII TLJ - 19 - she also loved it she is hooked on the romance part of it (in her mind) of Rey and Kylo. she insists they will make many babies.

Tonight we watch V ESB finally before she goes back to college. She actually wants to see it..... i'm hoping it convinces her to give RotJ a chance for another viewing.

Anyway just odd to me her order and introduction to it.

double aught
AG
Well we're gonna need an update!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
double aught said:

Well we're gonna need an update!

lol...ok. just finished.

Yeah she really enjoyed it. Aside from the poor effects of the TaunTaun and the Abominable snowman which made her laugh early on. She thought tripping the AT-AT was both great and absurd.

She loved the Han/Leia back and forth dynamic, all the name calling and "I know" line.

She thought Yoda was a riot especially early on when he was more cartoonish.

She "got" a lot of things referenced later now - like Yoda and the lifting rocks line (Luke in TLJ) as well as the "iron" joke with Boba Fett's ship.

she was really pretty good on figuring stuff out:
- she figured out they attached themselves to the star destroyer right away in the Falcon to evade detection
- she said "thats not a cave.....it's a mouth" a few minutes after they went in the meteor
- she knew Lando was gonna double cross them

Her favorite bit was the recurring failure of the hyper drive. And Vader choking out the next in line for command after each failure. Her least favorite is anything C3PO says or does - rightfully annoyed.

Pretty good reaction overall. Definitely liked it. A lot.

She's 5/5 on loving SW movies - of course she has not seen 1-3 or 6.

told her there was a Han Solo prequel movie coming this year and she said "oooohhh...with Han and Lando and Chewie I guess"....she's intrigued. she looked up the IMDB and was thrilled to see Emelia Clark and Woody Harrelson listed too and she knows the guys playing Han and Lando of course.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good stuff. Now time for the prequels. This is where the fun begins.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting remarks.

redline248
AG
I'm pretty sure he still isn't happy about it.
The Collective
AG
Mark hates it. It's a shame.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Finally overtook Beauty and the Beast worldwide as the #1 movie of 2017.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Up to #6 all-time (unadjusted).

Also moved into #44 all-time Adjusted. Passed RO and the Prequels 1 and 2 among others.

#2 domestic BO for SW movies behind only TFA - which it won't pass of course.

And up to #10 all-time worldwide BO.

Not bad for a bomb.

Jason Ag
AG
NM.
redline248
AG
Combining new and old

wesag
AG
BernArnold said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also moved into #44 all-time Adjusted. Passed RO and the Prequels 1 and 2 among others.

Not bad for a bomb.

I got your great movie right here BenedictArnold

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/12/18/its-time-to-stop-grading-movies-like-star-wars-the-last-jedi-on-a-curve/
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wesag said:

BernArnold said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not bad for a bomb.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/12/18/its-time-to-stop-grading-movies-like-star-wars-the-last-jedi-on-a-curve/

WAPO is #FakeNews
wesag
AG
Sure man, if you are a Trumpanzee.
VanZandt92
wesag said:

BernArnold said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not bad for a bomb.

Legit review
First Page Last Page
Page 663 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.