Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,871 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
wesag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Urban Ag said:

wesag said:

Ag Since 83 said:

PG-13 wasn't even around until the mid-80s because of people complaining Gremlins and Temple of Doom were too dark compared to other PG movies

They had a pretty good point.
So I can still remember that summer well, 1984, I was 10 and a half and saw both Gremlins and Temple of Doom in the theatre. For right or wrong, both movies freaked people out. And then in August, Red Dawn got the first official PG13 rating.

Man, being a kid in the 80's was f'ing great.

84 and 85 were some of the best movie years. I think Terminator was in there somewhere. Great year s.
dave94
AG
Are you thinking about European Vacation?

Urban Ag
AG
wesag said:

Well I thought it was PG but either way that was the best topless ever.
Truly. Beverley D'Angelo can not and should not be erased from my then young mind.
Urban Ag
AG
Yep, T1 was 1984. 80's.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

And the ultimate "how the **** did that get a PG rating" movie of all time: Barbarella.

Actually that scene does not really hold a candle to some others. Jane Fonda was topless and good looking of course, but:

Kramer vs. Kramer had full frontal nudity and in a sexual context.

Jaws was PG and some nudity briefly but also people being eaten alive.

The Outlaw Josey Wales takes the cake though imho....full nudity and not one but TWO rape scenes not to mention over 200 people killed. Wow.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Very early projections have it doing $79M over the 4-day holiday weekend.

This would put it as the second biggest third weekend of all time, behind TFA's $90M and ahead of Avatar's $68M at #3.

Granted, this has the advantage of the extra holiday Monday, but it will also suffer from the lower box office on Sunday due to New Years Eve.

In any case, should be hovering around the $540M after this weekend, if the numbers hold up. (Putting it at #6 on the all-time domestic list.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$1B worldwide should be passed on Sunday.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Impossible. The movie sucks and word of mouth is crashing the film.
FL_Ag1998
AG
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Impossible. The movie sucks and word of mouth is crashing the film.

A Star Wars movie could be completely atrocious and it would still rake in the dough. Hell, there are people posting on here that even after their fourth viewing they still thought the movie was bad....think about that. And let's be honest, good or bad, most are going to take their kids to see it because kids like Star Wars, plain and simple. So revenue on these movies is not a barometer for quality.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seen it three times, all on opening weekend. It's been a little while so I'm thinking of doing #4 this weekend.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I always see movies I hate 3 or 4 times......

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Welp, Disney has officially made their money back.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-franchise-crosses-4-billion-eclipsing-disneys-lucasfilm-price-1070624

Of course, this probably happened way back as this doesn't include merchandising profits.
gougler08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-franchise-crosses-4-billion-eclipsing-disneys-lucasfilm-price-1070624

Of course, this probably happened way back as this doesn't include merchandising profits.

Not a bad ROI
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Still had my old Excel chart from 2015 lying around, so I threw in the TLJ numbers so far.

Looks like it's trending pretty closely to Jurassic World and Avengers.

Based on this it's looking like it'll probably fall somewhere between Avatar and Jurassic World. Probably closer to JW. Maybe $680M or so.

double aught
AG
The case of Titanic is interesting to this day. It's very unlikely a run like that will be seen again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed. Avatar has come closest, but even that didn't have the insane legs that Titanic had. Especially considering Titanic's slow start.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sitting for #4. Damn near packed house.
Saul Goodman
AG
Going for #3 this weekend. Can't wait.
double aught
AG
So why does Rey have a British accent, but Finn doesn't?
Ulrich
double aught said:

This is the main reason I don't think she's a Solo or Skywalker. They've all got American accents. The obvious corollary is that Finn is Luke's son.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ulrich said:

double aught said:

This is the main reason I don't think she's a Solo or Skywalker. They've all got American accents. The obvious corollary is that Finn is Luke's son.

Accents aren't genetic dude.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Agreed. Avatar has come closest, but even that didn't have the insane legs that Titanic had. Especially considering Titanic's slow start.

Interestingly Avatar and Titanic also had the same kind of outrageous love/hate vitriol as TLJ.

Controversy sells....and people who love it don't care.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

double aught said:

Accents aren't genetic dude.

She answered this recently...she said she asked back before TFA whether she should drop the accent, and they listened to her "American" or neutral accent and told her to just speak naturally....

translation: her american accent was atrocious

and therefore i conclude they gave zero thought to her heritage as it relates to her accent anyway.

wesag
AG
gougler08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not a bad ROI

If the movie could make 25 to 50 percent more and become known as a great movie in the long term, I'd disagree. Think of the capital associated with the brand. Was it worth it to make garbage?
wesag
AG
BernArnold said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interestingly Avatar and Titanic also had the same kind of outrageous love/hate vitriol as TLJ.

Titanic was well thought out. The Last Jedi isn't in the same class.
Saul Goodman
AG
What did you think of TLJ? Did you like it?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wesag said:

BernArnold said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Titanic was well thought out. The Last Jedi isn't in the same class.

It was too much of a retreaded plot....I expected them to change it up some. I mean come on how many times do we have to watch it sink?
gougler08
AG
wesag said:

gougler08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not a bad ROI

If the movie could make 25 to 50 percent more and become known as a great movie in the long term, I'd disagree. Think of the capital associated with the brand. Was it worth it to make garbage?

I was just talking about how quickly they got their 4 billion back, not on if TLJ was good or bad
fig96
AG
gougler08 said:

wesag said:

gougler08 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not a bad ROI

I was just talking about how quickly they got their 4 billion back, not on if TLJ was good or bad
I'm sure you haven't noticed, but some here seem to feel the need to repeatedly let us know how much they didn't like it.
VanZandt92
Pretty sure Wesag is going to Outlast y'all's Rian Johnson goal tending.
fig96
AG
VanZandt92 said:

Yay him?

Don't know that I've been goaltending for anyone, I liked it and said so, others disagree and that's fine.

I feel some of the critique of it is unfounded while other points are more valid, but I'm not going to reiterate that on every post about the film that someone else makes. If someone else feels the need to do the opposite...well, that's kind of sad IMO .
VanZandt92
fig96 said:

VanZandt92 said:

Yay him?

Don't know that I've been goaltending for anyone, I liked it and said so, others disagree and that's fine.

I feel some of the critique of it is unfounded while other points are more valid, but I'm not going to reiterate that on every post about the film that someone else makes. If someone else feels the need to do the opposite...well, that's kind of sad IMO .

It's sad that people settle for a half assed film.
tamusc
AG
VanZandt92 said:

Every single person I know that's seen it, which includes a large percentage of non-geeks/Star Wars fans, enjoyed The Last Jedi. Seriously, the the only people that I've dealt with that didn't enjoy it are all online.
fig96
AG
VanZandt92 said:

fig96 said:

VanZandt92 said:

Yay him?

It's sad that people settle for a half assed film.
Yes, a difference in the enjoyment of a film is certainly disheartening.
amercer
AG
tamusc said:

VanZandt92 said:

Every single person I know that's seen it, which includes a large percentage of non-geeks/Star Wars fans, enjoyed The Last Jedi. Seriously, the the only people that I've dealt with that didn't enjoy it are all online.

I agree, although I will say that I know a couple people with the same complaints as the ones on here, but they aren't Star Wars super fans so I think they were able to enjoy it even if they would have liked a different story better.
First Page Last Page
Page 653 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.