Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,816 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
amercer said:

tamusc said:

VanZandt92 said:

Pretty sure Wesag is going to Outlast y'all's Rian Johnson goal tending.

Every single person I know that's seen it, which includes a large percentage of non-geeks/Star Wars fans, enjoyed The Last Jedi. Seriously, the the only people that I've dealt with that didn't enjoy it are all online.

I agree, although I will say that I know a couple people with the same complaints as the ones on here, but they aren't Star Wars super fans so I think they were able to enjoy it even if they would have liked a different story better.

Exactly, there were definitely some who agreed with my criticisms, but like me still enjoyed it. The ones that weren't Star Wars fans with no expectations enjoyed it the most and didn't seem bothered by any of the issues we've talked about in here.
Saul Goodman
AG
You must be new to this. When a movie comes out, there are usually people that like it, and those that don't. Except for the bombs - the ones where critics and audiences alike agree on its terribleness.

TLJ was universally praised by critics, other filmmakers, and a majority of the audience. There is also a sizeable portion that disliked/hated the movie.

I think your reasons for hating the movie are kind of dumb, and you feel similarly for those of us that like it. What's odd is the incessant need by some to remind us that you didn't like it. Similar to an atheist constantly showing up to the same bible study to tell everyone that their religion is dumb. What's the point?

Farmer1906
AG
Attention
Ulrich
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

double aught said:

So why does Rey have a British accent, but Finn doesn't?

This is the main reason I don't think she's a Solo or Skywalker. They've all got American accents. The obvious corollary is that Finn is Luke's son.

Accents aren't genetic dude.

Yeah, but people pretty much always get their accents from their families... dude.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

double aught said:

This is the main reason I don't think she's a Solo or Skywalker. They've all got American accents. The obvious corollary is that Finn is Luke's son.

Yeah, but people pretty much always get their accents from their families... dude.

The problem is that you have no idea who she's lived with all her life.
Ulrich
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

double aught said:

She appeared to be seeing her family leave well past the age of learning to talk.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

double aught said:

She appeared to be seeing her family leave well past the age of learning to talk.

She was like four years old. She's 19 in The Force Awakens. She's going to pick up the accent of the family she's spent most of her childhood with.
Belton Ag
AG
VanZandt92 said:

fig96 said:

VanZandt92 said:

Yay him?

Don't know that I've been goaltending for anyone, I liked it and said so, others disagree and that's fine.

I feel some of the critique of it is unfounded while other points are more valid, but I'm not going to reiterate that on every post about the film that someone else makes. If someone else feels the need to do the opposite...well, that's kind of sad IMO .

It's sad that people settle for a half assed film.
Insufferable.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
tamusc said:

VanZandt92 said:

Every single person I know that's seen it, which includes a large percentage of non-geeks/Star Wars fans, enjoyed The Last Jedi. Seriously, the the only people that I've dealt with that didn't enjoy it are all online.

I posted the same a few pages back. 100% approval outside of here.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I saw it with a group of 4. I was the only one that liked it. One in our group even said it was the worst Star Wars movie of all time.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
^
I take it he is not doing the actual score. Do you know who is? I actually really liked the score for Rogue One.
TCTTS
AG
Very interesting...

Quote:

The move is unusual: Bourne Identity and How to Train Your Dragon composer John Powell will still score the film, but Williams will be responsible for composing the film's theme. Williams tells Variety that he'll write the theme for the film, which he will "offer [...] to John [Powell], and to [director] Ron Howard." If they're happy with it, Powell will use it as the basis for his score.

The Collective
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

^
I take it he is not doing the actual score. Do you know who is? I actually really liked the score for Rogue One.

Rogue One score is underrated.
3rdGen2015
AG
The block feature is great. This isn't the first time those two particular posters have continuously complained about how bad a movie or TV show is.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Very interesting...

Quote:

The move is unusual: Bourne Identity and How to Train Your Dragon composer John Powell will still score the film, but Williams will be responsible for composing the film's theme. Williams tells Variety that he'll write the theme for the film, which he will "offer [...] to John [Powell], and to [director] Ron Howard." If they're happy with it, Powell will use it as the basis for his score.

Thanks.

I'm really hoping he lives long enough to score Episode IX, because if you put some green and some pointed ears on him, he might look a bit like an aging Jedi Master in that photo of him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GoodOldAgs
Belton Ag said:

VanZandt92 said:

fig96 said:

VanZandt92 said:

Yay him?

Don't know that I've been goaltending for anyone, I liked it and said so, others disagree and that's fine.

I feel some of the critique of it is unfounded while other points are more valid, but I'm not going to reiterate that on every post about the film that someone else makes. If someone else feels the need to do the opposite...well, that's kind of sad IMO .

Insufferable.

I am honestly stunned so many people on TexAgs are aggressively defending mediocrity yet again. /sarcasm
FL_Ag1998
AG
BernArnold said:

tamusc said:

VanZandt92 said:

I posted the same a few pages back. 100% approval outside of here.

In your circles sure, I'm not doubting either of you, but I've met people offline who are "meh" about it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Friday drop was only 23% from previous week. Thats good.

And it did $87M Tues-Fri after xmas thats good too.

It is faring pretty well.

$483M and counting in domestic. It'll top $500M and $1B worldwide today.

Will probably pass Rogue One domestic take on Sunday.

Belton Ag
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

Belton Ag said:

VanZandt92 said:

fig96 said:

VanZandt92 said:

Yay him?

Insufferable.

I am honestly stunned so many people on TexAgs are aggressively defending mediocrity yet again. /sarcasm
This looks like something VanZandt would say. God forbid someone have a different opinion than his holiness.
VanZandt92
It is at best a middle of the road movie.

The movie has been dissected all over the web and many believe it to fall short. If you head over to the Jedi forums there are huge Star Wars fans that are disappointed. Some are debating whether they'd allow Rian to ever touch a Star Wars film again. Others defend it vociferously. Myself, I'm not sure I stated my criticism of the movie in Texags. I enjoyed the movie, but it isn't something I'm going to need to see again and again. It isn't going to suddenly be a masterpiece. If this movie were to be looked at in a truly critical manner, it doesn't add up. This brings into question why the critics gave it approval. That is something that is interesting in terms of the film industry.
AMW2010
AG
Kylo slices Snoke in half with Lukes light saber

Luke becomes one with the force, and "dies"

Yoda has a cameo

Leia goes starlord In space after the bridge of the ship gets blown up killing admerial ackbar. She then uses the force and flys back to the ship

I think that's the important stuff... been waiting to post that for weeks!!
Belton Ag
AG
VanZandt92 said:

The movie has been dissected all over the web and many believe it to fall short. If you head over to the Jedi forums there are huge Star Wars fans that are disappointed. Some are debating whether they'd allow Rian to ever touch a Star Wars film again. Others defend it vociferously. Myself, I'm not sure I stated my criticism of the movie in Texags. I enjoyed the movie, but it isn't something I'm going to need to see again and again. It isn't going to suddenly be a masterpiece. If this movie were to be looked at in a truly critical manner, it doesn't add up. This brings into question why the critics gave it approval. That is something that is interesting in terms of the film industry.
None of what you say in this post matters at all. Many people think it falls short, some don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
With Last Jedi spoilers now allowed on the thread, just wanted to point out I finally got my wish from page 1.

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anyone else hoping Yoda makes an appearance? I don't care if it's just a small cameo of Force Ghost Yoda speaking with Luke, that would be enough for me.
Vortex
AG
There were a lot of parts of The Last Jedi that I loved. It brought back so much of the SW history and I loved that. In other ways, it was a little boring. I didn't like it as much as TFA. I felt like Snoke was made into this big deal in TFA, but was kind of lame in TLJ.

Having said that, seeing Carrie Fisher in the last role as Leia made the entire film. It brought tears to my eyes especially the parallel scene when she discusses "losses". She was a true loss to not only SW fans, but the world. Growing up and seeing the original Return of the Jedi when it first came out in the movie theaters...I felt my age a little seeing the last Leia scene in SW history.
Saul Goodman
AG
After seeing it for the third time this weekend, I was able to soak in the great moments.

In particular, the Yoda scene. As a new parent, his bit about "you are what you pass on" (paraphrasing) really resonated with me.
wesag
AG
Belton Ag said:

VanZandt92 said:

None of what you say in this post matters at all. Many people think it falls short, some don't.

Belton you need to feel good about the movie. This is an internet forum. If you need everybody to agree with you, then you're in the wrong place.

As stated above, the movie is middling or even mediocre. VZ is looking at the critics reviews and fan critique. The divergence is striking and it matters.
fig96
AG
wesag said:

Belton Ag said:

VanZandt92 said:

Belton you need to feel good about the movie. This is an internet forum. If you need everybody to agree with you, then you're in the wrong place.

As stated above, the movie is middling or even mediocre. VZ is looking at the critics reviews and fan critique. The divergence is striking and it matters.
And oddly enough you need to try to make others feel bad about liking it with every post you make.

It doesn't matter dude, it's a movie and people are going to have different opinions. Yours is not fact.
Belton Ag
AG
wesag said:

Belton Ag said:

VanZandt92 said:

Irony. You sir are rich with it. Thanks for the laugh.
wesag
AG
Belton Ag said:

wesag said:

Belton Ag said:

VanZandt92 said:

It's an illogical movie that is inconsistent at every turn. Gotta call a spade a spade. Sorry your feelings got hurt.

Incoherent plot. Doesn't follow it's own universe's roles. Leia in space. Subplots going nowhere. Crystal foxes. Finn doing a whole lot of nothing. DelToro not getting an outlet. The list goes on and on.

Star Wars should be able to back up it's revenue stream with great plots.
Ag Since 83
AG
What's wrong with the crystal foxes?
fig96
AG
wesag said:

Belton Ag said:

wesag said:

Belton Ag said:

VanZandt92 said:

It's an illogical movie that is inconsistent at every turn. Gotta call a spade a spade. Sorry your feelings got hurt.

Incoherent plot. Doesn't follow it's own universe's roles. Leia in space. Subplots going nowhere. Crystal foxes. Finn doing a whole lot of nothing. DelToro not getting an outlet. The list goes on and on.

Batman vs Superman was illogical. Some people don't like the choices that were made in TLJ. Two very different things.

You seem to want to attack this film much moreso than others are trying to defend it.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

You're still carrying on? What argument are you trying to make? I've never even shared my opinion on the movie so it's essentially yelling at clouds with these posts.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I saw it with a group of 4. I was the only one that liked it. One in our group even said it was the worst Star Wars movie of all time.

That one that said it was the worst Star Wars movie of all time hasn't seen any of the prequel trilogy or the Ewok movies.
First Page Last Page
Page 654 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.