Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,889,077 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie1906 said:

There probably were problems and conflict throughout. I guess they finally said enough is enough and want to "salvage" it.
Obviously, but the time to get cold feet isn't while you're standing at the alter. There were plenty of opportunities to examine the red flags beforehand. If Disney allowed those differences to fester this far, that's on them.
Farmer1906
AG
Are we standing at the alter? Sure its late in the game, but We're 11 months away from release if nothing changes.
The Collective
AG
The movie also has 5 weeks of reshoots in its original budget. And, well, we know Disney can get a lot done in the reshoot period.
TCTTS
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
aggie1906 said:

Are we standing at the alter? Sure its late in the game, but We're 11 months away from release if nothing changes.
I mean...considering they were only weeks away from wrapping, yea i'd say so. Depending on what Ron wants to do with the re-shoots, we could have serious tonal dissonance when the final product arrives.

Beyond that, I'm not actually worried about the Han Solo movie...I'm worried about Ep. 8 and 9. If this type of dysfunction continues, how are we supposed to have faith in a studio that doesn't have faith in their director hires? (And that's without me having to point to a guy like Trevorrow who comes with his own baggage)
TCTTS
AG
With filming starting back so soon, I wouldn't consider this THAT much of an overhaul. Only so much can be done in the next two weeks.
Flashdiaz
AG
M.C. Swag said:

aggie1906 said:

I mean...considering they were only weeks away from wrapping, yea i'd say so. Depending on what Ron wants to do with the re-shoots, we could have serious tonal dissonance when the final product arrives.

Beyond that, I'm not actually worried about the Han Solo movie...I'm worried about Ep. 8 and 9. If this type of dysfunction continues, how are we supposed to have faith in a studio that doesn't have faith in their director hires? (And that's without me having to point to a guy like Trevorrow who comes with his own baggage)
it's better to cut your losses and fix it immediately if you know what you want than to try and power through it.

Think of WB with the DC franchise

btw, I'm concerned over the director for Episode IX. If anything, this restores my faith that they'll cut their losses and fire the director if the movie they are making isn't aligned with the vision. Maybe they'll learn something and make a change earlier.
israeliag
AG
I'm not sure we should look at this only negatively. Having ZERO clue what actually transpired or how it did, it takes some mature decision making to change directions late and avoid falling into a sunk-cost trap.

It could have been Disney being stupid for hiring directors and not letting them do their thing, or for letting it get this far. But, it could also have been M&L being deceptive/unprofessional and not adhering to what they had agreed to when they signed on. TexAgs sure as hell doesn't know which (if any) of those situations transpired.
M.C. Swag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

M.C. Swag said:

aggie1906 said:

it's better to cut your losses and fix it immediately if you know what you want than to try and power through it.

Think of WB with the DC franchise
Haha I'm not saying it was the wrong choice...I'm just saying that Disney shouldn't be absolved of blame. They held the cards here. They should have known what product they were getting and should have made their decision to go a different direction much sooner. If this movie tanks, I won't feel sorry Disney because they did this to themselves. For better or worse, they're still married to this movie, if not the directors. (see what I did there?)
M.C. Swag
AG
israeliag said:

I'm not sure we should look at this only negatively. Having ZERO clue what actually transpired or how it did, it takes some mature decision making to change directions late and avoid falling into a sunk-cost trap.

It could have been Disney being stupid for hiring directors and not letting them do their thing, or for letting it get this far. But, it could also have been M&L being deceptive/unprofessional and not adhering to what they had agreed to when they signed on. TexAgs sure as hell doesn't know which (if any) of those situations transpired.
Right, I'm just going off what is being reported. It's not just a random shot in the dark concocted by TA.
Urban Ag
AG
Question. Any reason why Disney would not just have Kasdan step in as director?
Flashdiaz
AG
In other news, look what's coming to netflix (for the non-serious StarWars fans who didn't buy the 3D blu-ray the day it came out)

July 18
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Flashdiaz
AG
Urban Ag said:

Question. Any reason why Disney would not just have Kasdan step in as director?
I read somewhere on the internet (must be true) where someone currently on production staff can't be promoted to direct. I'm sure TCTTS can clarify if there is such a rule.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Isn't that the Eastwood rule? From when Eastwood had the director of Josey Wales fired and directed it himself? The DGA has a rule that an actor or producer can't take over the direction of a film after firing the director.
Urban Ag
AG
thanks for the info
Jim01
AG
I love Howard as a person and he's made some good movies but "safe" pretty accurately describes my view of him. His movies tend to lack any edge or originality. He's a great old school story teller but never blows me away with any of this films. Still I think with him and Kasdan we can be assured it will be a good movie at the minimum.
amercer
AG
I guess this means no star wars mini figures in The Lego Movie 2?
M.C. Swag
AG
Cinderella Man is still one of my all-time favorite films. I thought it was extremely well done. Few directors have something that high quality as a feather in their cap! I think he'll be just fine with this. (Seems like it's mostly just baby sitting duty at this point anyways. Nobody is gonna hold it against him if the movie is lackluster, but he'll be lauded if it's great. All upside for Ron Ron)
israeliag
AG
Does Ron Howard just take this job on its own, or is it tied with other opportunities at Disney?

Like he gets to direct this, and has been given the chance to do the sequel, or the live action Pinocchio or something.
TCTTS
AG
At this point, Ron Howard doesn't really have to audition for anyone. This has more to do with the fact that he's life-long friends with Kennedy and her husband, Frank Marshall (producer of the Jurassic, Indiana Jones, and Bourne movies). Kennedy, Marshall, Spielberg, Lucas, Howard, Hanks, etc. have all been good friends and collaborated countless times over the years. In this instance, Howard is simply someone "in the family" who they can trust and knows the ropes.
AliasMan02
AG
I think my take on Ron Howard is this: At this point you're not looking for a visionary to make his mark. You're looking for a professional filmmaker who can work with the actors, do the remaining shooting, and deliver a well-crafted film. I think Ron Howard is a great choice in that light.
israeliag
AG
Didn't mean it as this being an audition, but if his coming on board to wrap up Solo is in conjunction with a bigger deal (as in Disney giving him another movie on top of this)?

Sounds like a no based on that interesting info you provided. Thanks!
The Collective
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Cinderella Man is still one of my all-time favorite films. I thought it was extremely well done. Few directors have something that high quality as a feather in their cap!

Man, I love that film. That movie should be required viewing for every future father.
fig96
AG
This reminds me a bit of the situation with Marvel and Edgar Wright.

You brought on someone know for having a very distinct style and tone...then didn't like it.

As mentioned we don't know the details of what transpired, but it seems like a bad initial call on Disney's part.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Here's what we know now: Several sources close to the movie and others close to the directors tell EW that ever since filming began back in February, Lord and Miller, who are known primarily for wry, self-referential comedies like 21 Jump Street and the pilot episodes for Brooklyn 99 and Last Man on Earth, began steering the Han Solo movie more into the genre of comedy than space fantasy.

Apparently, the split was a subtle one that became magnified over time: Lucasfilm and producer Kennedy believed Lord and Miller were hired to add a comedic touch; Lord and Miller believed they were hired to make a comedy.

It's an ironic turn. Last year, when Rogue One was undergoing reshoots, fans were critical because they assumed Lucasfilm was trying to "lighten" the war story with more comedy. Those concerns were unfounded, but now the opposite may be the case for the Han Solo film: Lucasfilm wants young Han Solo to be more grounded.

As usual with stories like this, not all sources agree. Another individual close to the movie says it wasn't a question about how much comedy would be in the film. Most say the filmmakers were encouraging significant improvisation from the actors, which some at Lucasfilm believed was shifting the story off course.

With actors who are also writers, and gifted at coming up with their own material, like Atlanta creator and star Donald Glover in the role of Lando Calrissian and Fleabag creator and star Phoebe Waller-Bridge as an unspecified motion-capture character (which in galactic terms, that usually signals a droid or alien), the sources agree that Lord and Miller began straying from the script by Star Wars veteran Lawrence Kasdan and his son, Jon Kasdan (The First Time).

One person close to the fired directors says: "They thought they were brought on to make a Phil and Chris movie Sometimes they just thought the actors could do it differently."

redline248
AG
I'll take the Star Wars story group over improv
The Collective
AG
Yikes... based on what little I am seeing, I'm glad Disney reeled in control on this one.
Belton Ag
AG
While I would expect and be pleased with a Han Solo movie that featured Solo's wit and sense of humor, I damn sure don't want to walk into a Star Wars movie and see a comedy. If that's what those guys were trying to deliver I'm glad they are gone, but how in the hell could that not have been completely hammered out prior to filming?
AliasMan02
AG
Belton Ag said:

While I would expect and be pleased with a Han Solo movie that featured Solo's wit and sense of humor, I damn sure don't want to walk into a Star Wars movie and see a comedy. If that's what those guys were trying to deliver I'm glad they are gone, but how in the hell could that not have been completely hammered out prior to filming?

If they were rewriting on the fly, that would explain a lot of it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Page 600!

I don't think any of us wanted to see a freaking comedy, so I'm glad for the change right now.
Belton Ag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Belton Ag said:

If they were rewriting on the fly, that would explain a lot of it.
No doubt.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
When does 1 of Tom Hanks, Russell Crow, Chris Hemsworth, or Val Kilmer get added?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Here's what we know now: Several sources close to the movie and others close to the directors tell EW that ever since filming began back in February, Lord and Miller, who are known primarily for wry, self-referential comedies like 21 Jump Street and the pilot episodes for Brooklyn 99 and Last Man on Earth, began steering the Han Solo movie more into the genre of comedy than space fantasy.

Apparently, the split was a subtle one that became magnified over time: Lucasfilm and producer Kennedy believed Lord and Miller were hired to add a comedic touch; Lord and Miller believed they were hired to make a comedy.

It's an ironic turn. Last year, when Rogue One was undergoing reshoots, fans were critical because they assumed Lucasfilm was trying to "lighten" the war story with more comedy. Those concerns were unfounded, but now the opposite may be the case for the Han Solo film: Lucasfilm wants young Han Solo to be more grounded.

As usual with stories like this, not all sources agree. Another individual close to the movie says it wasn't a question about how much comedy would be in the film. Most say the filmmakers were encouraging significant improvisation from the actors, which some at Lucasfilm believed was shifting the story off course.

With actors who are also writers, and gifted at coming up with their own material, like Atlanta creator and star Donald Glover in the role of Lando Calrissian and Fleabag creator and star Phoebe Waller-Bridge as an unspecified motion-capture character (which in galactic terms, that usually signals a droid or alien), the sources agree that Lord and Miller began straying from the script by Star Wars veteran Lawrence Kasdan and his son, Jon Kasdan (The First Time).

One person close to the fired directors says: "They thought they were brought on to make a Phil and Chris movie Sometimes they just thought the actors could do it differently."

So they comedically flanderized the Han Solo?
Flashdiaz
AG
let's leave the Star Wars-ish space comedy to Mel Brooks.
Murder Hornet
AG
Maybe they triedto add too much Peter Quill to Han Solo? That's kind of Inception-like
First Page Last Page
Page 600 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.