Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,148 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lord and Miller have the Lego Movie and the 21 Jump Street franchise under their belt. That's it.

You're going to trust them over Ron freaking Howard?

In terms of tone/fun? Absolutely.

Name the last good movie Ron HowRd made?
AliasMan02
AG
So Lucasfilm wanted a western. What do we think L&M we're giving them in terms of tone? Too goofy-funny? Like too overtly "haha" funny? I could see that.

Just read my treatment, Kathleen. You'll love it. You can hire whatever director you want.
Buck Compton
AG
AliasMan02 said:

So Lucasfilm wanted a western. What do we think L&M we're giving them in terms of tone? Too goofy-funny? Like too overtly "haha" funny? I could see that.

Just read my treatment, Kathleen. You'll love it. You can hire whatever director you want.
The bolded is probably exactly what happened.
Buck Compton
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lord and Miller have the Lego Movie and the 21 Jump Street franchise under their belt. That's it.

You're going to trust them over Ron freaking Howard?

In terms of tone/fun? Absolutely.

Name the last good movie Ron HowRd made?
If only he wasn't directing the shooting of the entire film.......Oh wait, he isn't! Only three weeks left (and admittedly, likely some re-shoots)
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

I like each of those directors and a lot of the movies they've made, I just think they're pretty bland in comparison to Lord & Miller.
I'd totally let Gunn take this given the option.
AliasMan02
AG
fig96 said:

TCTTS said:

I like each of those directors and a lot of the movies they've made, I just think they're pretty bland in comparison to Lord & Miller.
I'd totally let Gunn take this given the option.

He's bound to be on the short list for an anthology film. Might as well.
amercer
AG
A movie that didn't need to be made. Just like R1. The directors Disney hires don't want to tell the same old story, and I wonder how long the public will want to watch it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
amercer said:

A movie that didn't need to be made. Just like R1. The directors Disney hires don't want to tell the same old story, and I wonder how long the public will want to watch it.

I found you!
bonfarr
AG
TCTTS said:

I just can't imagine what HASN'T been figured out at this point? How are there "creative differences" with three weeks left of shooting? Granted, most movies now days are edited WHILE shooting is going on, so maybe something was discovered/disagreed upon in the edit, but still. At this point, every last shot has been storyboarded and pre-prevised, the script is basically locked, the tone long since decided, costumes obviously finished, etc. I just can't remember anything like this happening, ever. So wild. Only thing I can think of is that Lord & Miller got some crazy idea during filming that would have ventured too far from the agreed upon path, whether it be story-wise, money-wise, or both. And then they just couldn't let go of it.

Film editing is a huge part of the work and the directors probably have a major disagreement on what has been shot that will make the cut. They can make 2 almost completely different movies with 2 different edits.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
amercer
AG
I liked rogue one. But it didn't add anything to the universe. I want new creative stories, not prequels. There have already been too many of those...
Simplebay
AG
TC you shut your hor mouth, Rush was great!

Howard is great too. When he does his movies. This...aint his movie. This is a dumpster fire.

But, in Kennedy we trust. For now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
amercer said:

I liked rogue one. But it didn't add anything to the universe. I want new creative stories, not prequels. There have already been too many of those...

There's a lot of wrong in this post^.
redline248
AG
Just kind of buzzed through a lot of this stuff, but clearly the message has not gotten around to hollywood directors..."you don't f-ck with Disney."

Didn't a director or 2 get booted off the marvel stuff a couple years ago? Also, at this point, I think I trust Kathleen Kennedy over any random director when it comes to Star Wars.
Ag Since 83
AG
This made me think of this, which I posted on the TLJ thread back during Celebration:

Quote:

Funny story: yesterday while in the security line I was next to some guy who believes Kathleen Kennedy is evil and has plans for some sort of coup to basically destroy Star Wars.

At this point why she would need to execute a coup I don't know...
redline248
AG
Yeah, let's see though...

Kathleen Kennedy running things now.....

or George Lucas?
TCTTS
AG
I'll give you that one. Rush was definitely his last good movie. Still, that feels like forever ago.
jackie childs
AliasMan02 said:

I think it was the decision to have the cantina band playing "everything is awesome" that did them in
AgMarauder04
AG
AliasMan02 said:

So, they wanted Firefly?
Cyprian
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

AliasMan02 said:

So, they wanted Firefly?
Too early
TXAG 05
AG
Buck Compton said:

To be fair, no one will complain if Ron Howard steps in to finalize things...

Cocoon, Apollo 13, and The DaVinci Code? Fantastic. (I feel like I'm missing one there)

EDIT: Looked it up and forgot A Beautiful Mind.
Don't forget Cinderella Man and Backdraft
The Collective
AG
Maybe Kathleen should just direct it. I mean, she might as well at this point....
redline248
AG
CJS4715 said:

Maybe Kathleen should just direct it. I mean, she might as well at this point....

Can't be worse than Ep2
israeliag
AG
If we get a mid-credit scene with A Ron Howard voice over saying "On the next Arrested Scoundrels" then it will have been well worth it.
The Collective
AG
redline248 said:

CJS4715 said:

Can't be worse than Ep2

Flashdiaz
AG
to be fair, this part wasn't bad:

I never noticed before that Jango had activated his backpack to escape but couldn't due to the malfunction.
TCTTS
AG
Dro07
AG
December... YYAAAAASSSSS
Simplebay
AG
Looks like it's Ron howard
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
Quote:

The move comes two days after directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were let go from the movie they had spent over four-and-a-half months directing. Creative differences over style and tone came to a head between the duo and Lawrence Kasdan, with the studio backing the veteran screenwriter.

Quote:

Howard, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, will meet with the actors Alden Ehrenreich is playing the iconic smuggler, Donald Glover is playing Lando Calrissian, with Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton also on the roll call to soothe a rattled set and will pore over a rough edit to see what the project has and still needs.

Quote:

Howard is considered to be a safe choice to complete the task, someone who will more than ably finish the movie while being a calming presence on set.
Flashdiaz
AG
CJS4715 said:

Quote:

The move comes two days after directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were let go from the movie they had spent over four-and-a-half months directing. Creative differences over style and tone came to a head between the duo and Lawrence Kasdan, with the studio backing the veteran screenwriter.

for a Star Wars movie, I'll take the side of the guy who wrote Empire Strikes Back over the directors who made the Lego Movie, 2x Jumpstreet and Cloudy with a Chance of MeatBalls.
M.C. Swag
AG
I mean, ya if you're forced to choose...but something like that should never have happened. Disney chose those guys to do a job. They do their job and NOW the studio decides to go in a different direction? Like TC and others have said...the script, set design, scene sequencing, costumes and 90% of the actual filming has already been done. How in the world do you let it get this far to THEN have a problem. It just screams incompetence on Disney's part.
Farmer1906
AG
There probably were problems and conflict throughout. I guess they finally said enough is enough and want to "salvage" it.
AliasMan02
AG
To play devil's advocate, it could also be too much leash for L&M and Lucasfilm trying not to make a change. Lucasfilm trying to work out the creative differences for months until they just finally hit an impasse.
First Page Last Page
Page 599 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.