Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,469 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
jackie childs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Flashdiaz said:

let's leave the Star Wars-ish space comedy to Mel Brooks.
but this is han solo. he's responsible for like 80% of the humor in all of the star wars movies combined...and he's only appeared in half of them. if any star wars film was going to include significant comedic elements, it'd be a han solo flick, right? it's not like an origin story for dr. evazan.

so while i don't blame Disney for making a change if they weren't getting the product they wanted, i also don't blame two comedy directors for doing what they do best.
Flashdiaz
AG
agree. The directors were probably making too much of a parody of the character instead of developing a character with comedic elements.

I read that there are sources saying Alan Ehrenreich (actor playing solo) didn't care for the comedic direction that was straying from the script:

"And this is why Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed. He started to worry that Lord & Miller's screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in that Cantina on Tatooine. One source described it as being oddly comparable to Jim Carrey's performance in Ace Ventura at times. Ehrenreich let his concerns be known to one of the producers, who then told Kennedy about it, which led to her decision to look over the existing footage (which is also a normal part of the production process, but this is where things get interesting)."

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/06/what-our-sources-are-saying-about-the-star-wars-han-solo-shakeup.html
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
israeliag said:

If we get a mid-credit scene with A Ron Howard voice over saying "On the next Arrested Scoundrels" then it will have been well worth it.

There's always money in the Death Star

There was 100,000 credits lining the walls of the Death Star!

NO TOUCHING!!
TexasAggie_02
AG
Leia: I love you
Han: I know
Narrator: He didn't know
TexasAggie_02
AG

Leia keeps mentioning some guy named "Hermano." Do you know anything about that?
TexasAggie_02
AG
buster gets caught with R2D2

What did you expect mother, I'M HALF MACHINE!

TexasAggie_02
AG
IT'S THE FI-NAL JEDI!

TexasAggie_02
AG
And that's why you always leave a note

Simplebay
Ag Since 83
AG
But we're siblings!

That's what makes if funny!
TCTTS
AG
Gotta say... some truly solid zingers these past few posts. Seriously. Excellent work, TexAgs.

jbryan10
AG
Literally cannot give enough blue stars for these!
TexasAggie_02
AG
It's the force, Michael. Tricks are something ***** do for money.
TexasAggie_02
AG
For nothing, green myself just now, I have.

3rdGen2015
AG
I blue myself

TCTTS
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
I reckon that shot is from Willow?
redline248
AG
awesome work with the Arrested Development jokes

Has anyone in this family even seen a Gungan?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Obi wan: these are not the droids you are looking for

Storm trooper: these are not the droids we're looking for

Narrator: those were the droids they were looking for
M.C. Swag
AG
On the topic of Trevorrow, here's a new article regarding the audience reaction to 'The Book of Henry."

Book of Henry Director Responds to Negative Reviews

Quote:

Colin Trevorrow's The Book of Henry came out last week and the reviews from critics and moviegoers have been less than stellar to say the least. In fact, the movie has been publicly torn apart from just about every major news outlet, leading some to question Trevorrow manning the helm for Star Wars 9, which is completely ridiculous. Colin Trevorrow has been mostly silent about the negativity that his latest project has received, but did tease a little tongue in cheek jab on the movie's release date. The director said "Be proud of everything you paint, even if Mom doesn't put it on the fridge" through social media.

The Book of Henry has been described as "catastrophically awful", "a flaming mess," and "the worst movie of the year" by various critics. Star Wars fans (who probably have not even seen The Book of Henry) have even started an online petition to remove Colin Trevorrow from Star Wars 9 because that's what's important in the world right now and it's fun to jump on the negativity train. The negative reviews have come as a complete shock to Trevorrow and the cast and crew.
Colin Trevorrow sat down with Empire Magazine to discuss The Book of Henry and all of the hate surrounding the movie. The director admitted that the negative reaction was "a little heartbreaking." Read Trevorrow's thoughts below.
He goes on to say:

Quote:

"It came to us as a bit of a shock. We did not anticipate that level of vitriolic dislike for the film. In the end, do I want to be somebody who pleases both audiences and critics? Absolutely. Is it hugely disappointing? It is."
Quote:

In the end, Trevorrow thinks that a lot of the very negative public response stems from his past and present projects that have thrust him further into the public eye. He directed Jurassic World and production is about to start on Star Wars 9 and fans of the franchises are watching his every move, waiting for the director to take the wrong step. Trevorrow admits that he hadn't taken his new found visibility into account while making the indie movie The Book of Henry.

The extreme criticism will ultimately have zero effect on the outcome of Star Wars 9. The Book of Henry will be 2 years old and a distant memory by the time that Star Wars 9 hits theaters. Who knows, maybe The Book of Henry will be looked upon as a cult classic, an underrated gem by the time of the release of the next project. There are fans of the movie out there, they're just a little silent at the moment.

double aught
AG
He's right that people (especially on the internet) love to jump on any kind of negative bandwagon.
TCTTS
AG
I hate even linking to an embedded TMZ video, but Iger's no comment on the is-it-delayed question, after answering just about everything else, is pretty telling, IMO. I hope it means they're just waiting to see if they can pull it off, because I was really looking forward to a summer Star Wars movie...

TCTTS
AG
tamusc
AG
Sounds like it really was a CF with Lord and Miller trying to run a production that big.
TCTTS
AG
Yep. I've definitely come around to Lucasfilm's/Kennedy's side of things. Whether that's just great spin on their part, who knows...
M.C. Swag
AG
TCTTS said:

That title is a bit click-baitey. "Chaos" was certainly not the term i would use after reading the full article. Lord and Miller were using too much improvisation from the script and weren't filming scenes as quickly as the studio liked. Troublesome, certainly, but definitely not 'chaos.' If anything, that article just told me that the true point of conflict appeared to be between Kasdan (scriptwriter) and Lord/Miller.

Howard should be able to salvage the movie fine it seems.
Flashdiaz
AG
the entire article is a bit click baitey.

They interviewed a rival studio executive to get doomsday quotes...

""All of the films have been 'troubled,'" says a top executive at a rival studio. "J.J. [Abrams] was powerful enough to push back on an unrealistic start date [for the first movie] but that was a tug of war. [url=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-writer-tony-gilroy-make-millions-reshoots-951119]The last one was reshot by Tony [Gilroy] for months[/url] and now this? This is a systemic problem."
The Collective
AG
If they can hit Rogue One quality on these films, I won't care what the studio does to get there.
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

""All of the films have been 'troubled,'" says a top executive at a rival studio.

Lol, like Disney has any rivals.
TCTTS
AG
Dro07
AG
make sense
Ag Since 83
AG
Does he get his tail stepped on?
TCTTS
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 601 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.