Star Wars Discussion Thread

3,207,891 Views | 30853 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Brian Earl Spilner
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think we may have our first image of Jas Amari. Fantasy Flight's latest RPG sourcebook is "No Disentigrations" and focuses on Bounty Hunters. The image for their preview arrive is Sugi and another Zabrak, sporting a sniper rifle. Gotta be Jas, right?

I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rumor has it Rogue One's Blu-ray release is 3/28. It seems Disney might hold off Episode VIII hype until after that event has taken place - similar to what they did for Rogue One hype following Episode VII's video release. If that is the case, they might as well just hold off until Celebration in April.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll say it again... we're not going to see a frame of TLJ footage until Thursday, April 13. First morning of Celebration. Kathleen Kennedy has basically confirmed as much, and any other reports are either straight up guessing, or inaccurate.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am with you. This Feb rumor date picked up some more steam in other crevices of the Internet, so I was responding to that specific rumor.

I agree though; no hype except for maybe a random tweet or some such. No teaser of the teaser or any such thing...
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's allow a small percent chance that Disney releases something sooner than Celebration in the event some other company has something to draw attention. Didn't they do that before? Some movie news came out and Disney destroyed its hype with a release of its own?
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the Rogue One trailer dropped the morning Universal had something major happening at their park. Disney stole the news cycle. I'm sure there are other upstaging examples.

Keep in mind though, Beauty and the Beast is out next month and GOTG 2 is out in May. They won't want to overshadow their own movies and their marketing campaigns either.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Rogue One trailer also dropped literally the day after TFA hit home video. I think the "upstaging" element was purely coincidental. That had likely been planned for a while.

GOTG2 hits theaters three weeks to the day after the TLJ trailer will (presumably) debut at Celebration. It's perfect timing to release it online the day of Celebration and then in theaters three weeks later, just like the teaser trailer for TFA debuted at Celebration, and then in theaters a couple weeks later with Avengers 2.
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So maybe a TLJ teaser during celebration and the full trailer to coincide with GOTG2?
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would expect a full trailer at Celebration
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

I'll say it again... we're not going to see a frame of TLJ footage until Thursday, April 13. First morning of Celebration. Kathleen Kennedy has basically confirmed as much, and any other reports are either straight up guessing, or inaccurate.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No, sorry, I should have been more clear. A teaser trailer at Celebration/online mid-April. Maybe 1:30-2:00 in length. Then that SAME teaser trailer in theaters w/ GOTG2 three weeks later. That'd be my guess. Then another trailer possibly in August, and then a final trailer in October. Something along those lines.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This sounds about right.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now, the only thing that gives me pause is the fact that they would have two trailers so close to each other. (August and October.)

If we are using TFA's marketing as a barometer, we got one teaser trailer (Dec '14), trailer #1 (April '15), and trailer #2. (Oct '15)

So all of those were fairly spread apart. I don't know if I see them dropping three full trailers between April and December. On the other hand, I don't see them doing just a teaser trailer for April.

I wonder if they're skipping a teaser altogether and maybe doing just 2 full trailers? Because otherwise, it does leave a small possibility of getting a teaser trailer before the full trailer for Celebration, and following the TFA schedule from there.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rogue One broke that mold, though. Teaser trailer in April, teaser trailer in August, and then the final trailer in October.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Actually, here's a report that just broke that basically confirms everything I've been saying...

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/02/rumor-star-wars-the-last-jedi-trailer-when-and-where.html
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed. When I say "full trailer" at the Celebration I mean the "teaser" that's still of decent length. Basically what we got in Anaheim two years ago.
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I guess I'll stick around with yall here till April.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, good point. But I had sort of figured the saga movies would get a longer marketing schedule. Start the hype earlier. (Not that they need to.)

Maybe not though.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ah well, no SB teaser after all. That's all good and well, let the other movies have their time in the spotlight until April.
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, good point. But I had sort of figured the saga movies would get a longer marketing schedule. Start the hype earlier. (Not that they need to.)

Maybe not though.
It's a long way till Christmas again... I'm fine holding off the hype. Ignorance is bliss, I can't get too hyped for something I haven't even seen a small sample of.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, good point. But I had sort of figured the saga movies would get a longer marketing schedule. Start the hype earlier. (Not that they need to.)

Maybe not though.
It's a long way till Christmas again... I'm fine holding off the hype. Ignorance is bliss, I can't get too hyped for something I haven't even seen a small sample of.
I can.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

It's a long way till Christmas again... I'm fine holding off the hype. Ignorance is bliss, I can't get too hyped for something I haven't even seen a small sample of.


Just watch a few wild ass theory videos.
512Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://instagr.am/p/BQLeif2FrYa
An Ag in CO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm guessing this may have been posted since it's about a week old, but I'll risk the wrath of Brian Earl Spoiler.

Disney has some interesting things planned with respect to the previously made movies. Obviously want to make a lot of money and both the original trilogy and prequel trilogy will be rereleased. Not sure if it will be in connection with 8 or 9, though, but I heard the releases would be 'comprehensive' and will make collectors very happy.

There is also some discussion about stories mentioned/hinted at in the prequels and how to flesh those out. Disney can't do a reboot of the prequels given terms in place with Lucas et al, but the thought is that some events hinted at in those three movies could get some kind of screen treatment. Likely not a full Stars Wars movie treatment, but the idea of a limited run series (like Sherlock from what was said, but not more than an hour show with 42 minutes of content) is being kicked around. Current thinking is to stay away from any major characters (no Maul, Dooku, Grievous, etc.) and try something within the stories, with unique characters who don't have a lineage to the actual Star Wars movies. Not focused on tax policy. One suggested story was a deeper dive involving Coruscant.

Disney investor stuff from regular pre-earnings call, for what its worth. I think the rerelease stuff is more solid than the prequel stuff, but they are exploring the best ways to extract money from people.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, what do we think about the rumor (wild ass theory) that Del Toro is Ezra who may or may not be a paternal figure to a main character?
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

So, what do we think about the rumor (wild ass theory) that Del Toro is Ezra who may or may not be a paternal figure to a main character?


It would be an awesome way to connect Rebels to the movies.

Also it'll be great to hear TCTTS complain about there being no context or backstory for Ezra not making him relatable but then claim he can't watch cartoons when it is revealed that there is in fact context and backstory for Ezra.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha, you're missing the point of my (imaginary) complaint. IF that were to happen - and I'd be absolutely shocked if that's what they did - it'd be super lame to have to have seen an entire cartoon series to truly understand who he is. Introducing him through a previous, live-action movie - or introducing him in a live-action show that we all knew was leading to a movie - would both be fair game. And sure, there would be context and backstory for Ezra in the cartoon, but that's just not the same.

Now, if the character were to be fully fleshed out in the movie itself, despite having been in a previous series, I'm all for it. But if there's all these winks to the cartoon and the only way you can understand his motivation is if you've seen the entire Rebels series, I don't see how anyone can argue that's a sound strategy.

Besides, Saw Gerrera was easily one of the weakest links of Rogue One, and I'm not saying that was due to a needed understanding of his character from The Clone Wars, but there was just something off in that approach, and I doubt Lucasfilm makes the same mistake again.
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hunter2012 said:

CJS4715 said:

So, what do we think about the rumor (wild ass theory) that Del Toro is Ezra who may or may not be a paternal figure to a main character?


It would be an awesome way to connect Rebels to the movies.

Also it'll be great to hear TCTTS complain about there being no context or backstory for Ezra not making him relatable but then claim he can't watch cartoons when it is revealed that there is in fact context and backstory for Ezra.
Lol, that would be fun to read.

I think it'd be a pretty interesting way to integrate him into the larger universe, but I'm not sure we really need it. I mean I've wondered for awhile if he might be Thrawn returning from having been sent away after whatever happens in Rebels. Between the choice between Ezra or Thrawn being a character that Del Toro plays, I'd choose Thrawn hands down.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would be completely surprised if Ezra makes it on screen in The Last Jedi. Besides, Del Toro has way too much accent. I personally don't understand why everyone wants the characters from Rebels to be anyone important in these new movies. Also, Ezra is not even a good character.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is a crazy theory, and I agree, I'd want him to be fleshed out in the movie. If you want more, hey, there is this cartoon, but if you are an adult without kids - the movie should suffice in giving you enough background. If it were Ezra, one could easily make the argument that he is the other hope referenced by Yoda, which would be a mind **** of the highest degree for me. 30 years of assumptions just wiped away.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think Del Torro will be Ezra or Thrawn. We already have Huxley and to introduce (re-introduce) Thrawn as a competitor to Huxley while explaining where he's been when the empire fell seems like too much to get into for yet another imperial officer in a Skywalker Jedi movie.

So far in Rebels, Thrawn has been the A&M Football team of Star Wars. Lots of potential, should dominate but keeps getting beat... the sleeping giant that is still blissfully asleep.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

IAlso, Ezra is not even a good character.


I've never been crazy about him either. He's a whiny b, which I guess makes him the perfect candidate for jedi turned bad.
Sarduakar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An Ag in CO said:

I'm guessing this may have been posted since it's about a week old, but I'll risk the wrath of Brian Earl Spoiler.

Disney has some interesting things planned with respect to the previously made movies. Obviously want to make a lot of money and both the original trilogy and prequel trilogy will be rereleased. Not sure if it will be in connection with 8 or 9, though, but I heard the releases would be 'comprehensive' and will make collectors very happy.

There is also some discussion about stories mentioned/hinted at in the prequels and how to flesh those out. Disney can't do a reboot of the prequels given terms in place with Lucas et al, but the thought is that some events hinted at in those three movies could get some kind of screen treatment. Likely not a full Stars Wars movie treatment, but the idea of a limited run series (like Sherlock from what was said, but not more than an hour show with 42 minutes of content) is being kicked around. Current thinking is to stay away from any major characters (no Maul, Dooku, Grievous, etc.) and try something within the stories, with unique characters who don't have a lineage to the actual Star Wars movies. Not focused on tax policy. One suggested story was a deeper dive involving Coruscant.

Disney investor stuff from regular pre-earnings call, for what its worth. I think the rerelease stuff is more solid than the prequel stuff, but they are exploring the best ways to extract money from people.
I have already said it in this thread, I would pay a lot of money for an Obi-Wan "netflix" type series between III and IV
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, you're missing the point of my (imaginary) complaint. IF that were to happen - and I'd be absolutely shocked if that's what they did - it'd be super lame to have to have seen an entire cartoon series to truly understand who he is. Introducing him through a previous, live-action movie - or introducing him in a live-action show that we all knew was leading to a movie - would both be fair game. And sure, there would be context and backstory for Ezra in the cartoon, but that's just not the same.

Now, if the character were to be fully fleshed out in the movie itself, despite having been in a previous series, I'm all for it. But if there's all these winks to the cartoon and the only way you can understand his motivation is if you've seen the entire Rebels series, I don't see how anyone can argue that's a sound strategy.

Besides, Saw Gerrera was easily one of the weakest links of Rogue One, and I'm not saying that was due to a needed understanding of his character from The Clone Wars, but there was just something off in that approach, and I doubt Lucasfilm makes the same mistake again.


To be fair, the character of Saw was basically written/conceived for RO before they attached his name to it. The story group tossed that in later. Other than the fact that he's a career freedom fighter with a nasty streak, his TCW/Rebels/Catalyst background doesn't give you any insight into him in Rogue One.

You should take the hour or so necessary to watch all the Saw episodes and see for yourself.
I Have Spoken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On the TV series front, they were tossing around rumors about a show for ABC as far back as last August if I remember right. The concern seems to be producing it at an acceptable SW universe level with a TV budget. I know there was a story idea put together with Coruscant as the setting (this is really old though - before Disney purchased LF).
Page 547 of 882
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.