Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,924 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

You have to be a very good actor to act like a very bad actor authentically.
So it turns out Shatner really is an acting genius?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

He wasn't acting like a bad actor - he was a bad actor.

There is a difference.

The only way to know is to see them acting well in other things - that's not the case with Shatner.
Flashdiaz
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Belton Ag said:

Quote:

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Belton Ag said:

Quote:

There is a difference.

The only way to know is to see them acting well in other things - that's not the case with Shatner.
So basically everyone in the prequels are good actors because they were decent to good in other films, but absolutely terrible in Star Wars.

Perhaps you guys don't understand what acting like a bad actor means....it doesn't mean his acting was bad.....it means he was playing a character that was a bad actor. His actual character was an actor - who couldn't act. And in that role we got to see him as his natural self, where he was charming and charismatic, and then as an actor in scenes he was playing/filming where he was incredibly awkward and wooden and stoic and stilted, etc.

Or perhaps nobody else saw Hail Caesar.

None of these other examples (Shatner included, and the SW prequels) were playing characters that were actors. they were just characters played badly.

As for the prequels - it's unrelated but i'll answer - yes some very good actors in there. There was some horrible direction and some horrible dialogue (both thanks to Lucas) combined with trying to act everything with some emotional range in front of a green screen with little or no feedback and nothing to play off of. I don't blame most of them - McGregor and Portman at least and some others have shown great talent in other movies.

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So...

Rogue One - in theaters
The Last Jedi - in post-production
Han Solo - filming
Episode IX - in pre-production

Four new Star Wars movies. How crazy would that have sounded just 4 years ago?
It blows my mind, though, that we likely still have roughly 22 MONTHS until Han Solo hits theaters. There's more and more chatter that it's going to move from its current May '18 date and shift to December '18, to fall in line with the previous three movies. If so, it would follow the same basic schedule as TLJ, where in that movie started filming in February '16, but won't hit theaters until nearly two years later. I guess Lucasfilm really likes giving their directors an insane amount of time to finish post...
tamusc
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

So...

Rogue One - in theaters
The Last Jedi - in post-production
Han Solo - filming
Episode IX - in pre-production

Four new Star Wars movies. How crazy would that have sounded just 4 years ago?
It blows my mind, though, that we likely still have roughly 22 MONTHS until Han Solo hits theaters. There's more and more chatter that it's going to move from its current May '18 date and shift to December '18, to fall in line with the previous three movies. If so, it would follow the same basic schedule as TLJ, where in that movie started filming in February '16, but won't hit theaters until nearly two years later. I guess Lucasfilm really likes giving their directors an insane amount of time to finish post...
It gives Lucasfilm/Disney more time to meddle in the process and force significant reshoots...
The Collective
AG
I guess the positive is it helps Lucas have amble time to organize other media and make sure their stories maintain continuity... except in Rogue One's case where the story was still being tinkered with over Thanksgiving dinner.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Belton Ag said:

Quote:

There is a difference.

Hayden Christensen is brilliant.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And regarding the insane amount of time between shooting and release - I just hope we never get a huge leak from set or otherwise that spoils the entire movie.
double aught
AG
It's fortunate they filmed TLJ early.
Belton Ag
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Belton Ag said:

Quote:

There is a difference.

I don't know, I thought his turn as Mark Antony opposite Sir John Gielgud and Louis Calhern in Julius Caesar was remarkable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
double aught said:

It's fortunate they filmed TLJ early.
3rdGen2015
AG
From the head of the Story Group:

boogieman
The Collective
AG
I enjoy this dude's work:
Urban Ag
AG
Yeah that guy is pretty funny

you're clearly not a Star Wars fan so why don't you die in a ditch you piece of sh**

nice
Farmer1906
AG
Some Empire's End Hype?

[sp="The synopsis for Empire's End (spoilers for those who have not read Aftermath or Life Debt)"]EVERY END IS A NEW BEGINNING.
"As the final showdown between the New Republic and the Empire draws near, all eyes turn to a once-isolated planet: Jakku.
"The Battle of Endor shattered the Empire, scattering its remaining forces across the galaxy. But the months following the Rebellion's victory have not been easy. The fledgling New Republic has suffered a devastating attack from the Imperial remnant, forcing the new democracy to escalate their hunt for the hidden enemy.
"For her role in the deadly ambush, Grand Admiral Rae Sloane is the most wanted Imperial war criminaland one-time rebel pilot Norra Wexley, back in service at Leia's urgent request, is leading the hunt. But more than just loyalty to the New Republic drives Norra forward: Her husband was turned into a murderous pawn in Sloane's assassination plot, and now she wants vengeance as much as justice.
"But Sloane, too, is on a furious quest: pursuing the treacherous Gallius Rax to the barren planet Jakku. As the true mastermind behind the Empire's devastating attack, Rax has led the Empire to its defining moment. The cunning strategist has gathered the powerful remnants of the Empire's war machine, preparing to execute the late Emperor Palpatine's final plan. As the Imperial fleet orbits Jakku, an armada of Republic fighters closes in to finish what began at Endor. Norra and her crew soar into the heart of an apocalyptic clash that will leave land and sky alike scorched. And the future of the galaxy will finally be decided.[/sp]
AliasMan02
AG
Just preordered the audio book yesterday. Very eager.

Also just finished Catalyst, which had its strong points but was overall pretty mediocre, I thought. Par for the course for a tie-in book.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Malachi Constant
AG
Daisy
TCTTS
AG
I legitimately can't tell if these are staged or not. Or, rather, if Daisy is in on the joke, or she's truly getting annoyed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hope we get a new one of these each week.
AgMarauder04
AG
He's got a camera. It's got to be obvious something is up.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

I legitimately can't tell if these are staged or not. Or, rather, if Daisy is in on the joke, or she's truly getting annoyed.
Well, she IS an actress.
redline248
AG
Btw, who is Josh Gad?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
Is that supposed to mean something? I have no idea
AgMarauder04
AG
redline248
AG
I just googled. That's what Brian should have posted.
Ulrich
You need to work on your spoiler tag game.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, this place is in the same neighborhood as my office...

AliasMan02
AG
I wonder if Billy Dee would really have much to say about Lando. He has a rep for not liking doing fan stuff like photo ops and autographs so I've never been sure that it means anything to him.

Then again, he cared enough to reprise the role in Rebels, so maybe it's strictly the fan interaction he doesn't care for.
Malachi Constant
AG
Rumor from 4chan that we will have a teaser on 2/10

I'm pretty certain this is false, but one can hope.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, doesn't make much sense to wait a few days after the Super Bowl to drop it.
First Page Last Page
Page 546 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.