Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,007 Views | 43964 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I would think Rebels has made the extinction canon.

I rarely read MSW anymore, but I always listen to the podcast!

Here's my HSO on the reason he's holding a gun on the Death Star bridge...he's about to commit suicide. I could see the rebel execution theory working, except I don't think an Admiral is usually the executor and I don't think the Death Star bridge is the ideal location for an execution.
Meh, they just haven't said how it happened is the point I was getting at.

I could see that.
The Collective
AG
quote:
It's implied that the empire purged the planet to remove any remaining knowledge of the death star. There's a Rebels episode about it.

That's right.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
It's implied that the empire purged the planet to remove any remaining knowledge of the death star. There's a Rebels episode about it.

That's right.
Yep. Here's a clip.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Not a single alien in the trailer... And a samurai? Puke.

The rest looks pretty cool though.
InternetFan02
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Nevermind; Timing not correct
TCTTS
AG
True 1080p, downloadable version of the trailer...

http://secure.vp.disney.go.com/xd_shortform/sws/dmvr-1134/e2790f-hdmvr-1134_psws-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-offical-teaser-trailer-h264h_aac_1920x1080_7840x160.mp4
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Ha, exactly. By his same logic, the literally thousands of similar male roles should be just as "unoriginal." People who think like this drive me insane. If anything, we need even MORE female roles like this.

My problem is that it's forced and generic now. Two films in a row with the same gimmick. Same thing with ghostbusters reboot.
Except that this isn't a movie that previously existed with an all male cast, that is now an all female cast and being remade.

It appears to be one woman, Mon Mothma, and a bunch of dudes and aliens.
AliasMan02
AG
Interesting note: I believe this is the only canon picture of a Bothan, from Sabine's sketchbook.

PatAg
AG
Also, I could not be more excited to see The Ip Man be in a major blockbuster movie.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Doubt Disney would put a suicide scene in a trailer.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Doubt Disney would put a suicide scene in a trailer.

Or even in a Star Wars movie. I will be shocked if that's what it is.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea original commentary is fishing. I'm not too worried whatever that thing is. We'll all find out in December. May be nothing. I'm not worried.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Also, I could not be more excited to see The Ip Man be in a major blockbuster movie.

Uh, Blade 2??

Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
I definitely agree that casting two, attractive, brunette, British, female leads in their 20s - in back-to-back movies - might be confusing for some, but that's about it. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that there's actually a decent chunk of the casual audience out there who thinks this is a sequel to TFA, and that Felicity is Rey.

Yep it's totally random
jbanda
AG
Hell Princess Leia had a british accent for part of ANH.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, right on queue...

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/07/thats-probably-not-reys-mom-in-the-star-wars-rogue-one-trailer
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Tarkin in White? It would make sense to see him this movie, and the resemblance is roughly there, though that looked like maybe a lightsaber on his belt?
Tarkin makes sense. Him being in Rebels leaves this as a good transition before he commands the Death Star.

What you thought was a lightsaber isn't on his belt. Probably something attached to the floor. Looks like a blaster case on his belt, though.

Tarkin is already a Grand Moff by the time this takes place. This guy is wearing the rank of a Fleet Admiral, but the white uniform could mean he is an ISB (intelligence) officer, not a strictly naval rank, like Wullf Yularen in ANH.

Since the uniform is different, perhaps an Imperial Loyalty Officer like Sinjir Rath Velus in Aftermath?

Or, if the rebels are criminals, perhaps he's The Unnamed Director of the Imperial Security Bureau that Wullf reports to?? (As mentioned in "Tarkin")

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Security_Bureau
lunchbox
Article from Feb - NSIAP

http://nerdist.com/movie-morsels-star-wars-rogue-one-introduces-its-pilots-and-the-hulk-speaks/

quote:
There is a bad guy or person of some importance to the Empire. His main feature is a huge majestic white cape with a slit in the back. In the film there is a beautiful shot of this Imperial treading through a shallow body of water with said cape trailing him. The figure that wears it appears to be an older male. I'm told he has a badass sidearm and a really cool name. We're fairly certain this is Ben Mendelsohn's character but that's not 100% or verified at this time.
TCTTS
AG
Expanding on another part of that article, it IS kind of weird that Lucasfilm makes no effort whatsoever in the trailer to explicitly explain when Rogue One takes place. The vast majority of the audience who will see this trailer in theaters next week either has no idea who Mon Mothma is, or won't remember her from ROTJ, and that's literally the only indication that this is a prequel. Considering we got yet another Death Star in TFA, I don't even think that's a dead give-away, considering it's surrounded by clips of all-new characters. So, yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Lucasfilm handles this. I have a cousin who's a big movie fan, and he had no idea this movie was coming out, or what it is, even after watching the trailer. He's super-excited, but figured it was some kind of sequel. And I'm seeing a lot of similar reactions on Twitter.
jabberwalkie09
AG
(Nerd moment)

Well there are clearly T-65's in the trailer and not T-70's like we had in TFA.
jbanda
AG
The Collective
AG
Comment made on the Faraci article:

quote:
I still can't believe the prequels actually had Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru owning C-3PO for an extended period of time prior to A New Hope.
Simplebay
AG
dammit lucas. the gift that keeps giving
Simplebay
AG
this is actually quite interesting, and something i hadn't considered.

perhaps Lucasfilm's overreaching here? Or maybe they are going for hardcore target audience (which would make sense given this type of film it's supposed to be).

Either way, i can now see people going, wait, WHAT....a THIRD DEATH STAR? We just destroyed Starkiller base. where is BB8?

Again...it's a teaser. That one sheet, "rebellion/hope" etc, but honestly i think they will go with the tried and true literal subtitles. "Before the dark times, before the empire, before hope, there was a band of rebels that sparked a rebellion.." etc
redline248
AG
Technically, the muggles would say "a FOURTH Deathstar?"

But honestly, I don't think Disney/Lucasfilm gives 2 craps about how clear the timeline is right now. You know they thought about it and decided to leave it as is.
jabberwalkie09
AG
On that note, I think the Kenobi voiceover from last years leaked trailer would have conveyed that possibly. Just my opinion
The Collective
AG
There is going to be an opening crawl, right? If so, can't they address the timeline problem in the opening crawl? It seems like that will take care of the question for at least the semi-intelligent moviegoer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I see what you're saying, but to me it seemed like they were clearly attempting to show that it was the original Death Star. Granted, I'm a die-hard and not everyone is, so it's hard to say.

Either way, we'll get Vader in the full trailer (or his breathing at least), and that should be that.
TCTTS
AG
Once you're sitting in the theater, it'll be clear. I don't think anyone's worried about that. It's just the marketing that might be confusing.

That said, I have no idea if there will be a crawl or not. Part of me thinks they won't use one, so as to keep the episodic movies more separate, but I also think a crawl for these one-offs would help explain a lot as well. So who knows...
An Ag in CO
AG
http://io9.gizmodo.com/every-cool-detail-we-spotted-in-the-rogue-one-a-star-w-1769606654
TCTTS
AG
The Death Star thing is obvious to fans, but people like my parents will have absolutely no clue. But yeah, Vader should do the trick.
Simplebay
AG
too late to get 'Anthology' back? What, they were afraid the muggles wouldn't know what it was?

"What is this a Star Wars for Ants? Ant Man 2?"

"Better go with 'Story' Kathleen"
The Collective
AG
quote:
Once you're sitting in the theater, it'll be clear. I don't think anyone's worried about that. It's just the marketing that might be confusing.

I only made the point, because the linked article had this quote:
quote:
How many people will walk out of the film thinking Darth Vader is back? (Weirdly he's not really in the trailer - that would be one way to indicate the story takes place in the past, although I'm guessing there's a fear of what I just mentioned happening - people thinking he's back and that this is Episode VIII) You can lead an audience to a movie but you can't make them understand it.

Hopefully, the answer to the above is near 0.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Speaking of parents, I still can't really believe my parents went to see TFA. They have absolutely ZERO interest in the SW franchise, and in fact my dad sort of hates the whole fantasy/sci-fi genre, and yet they ended up going to see it.

That was when I really got how much of a phenomenon that movie had become, lol.
First Page Last Page
Page 405 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.