Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,907 Views | 43822 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by The Porkchop Express
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Again, This movie isn't aimed at your parents or your girlfriend or your ktitle sex trophies.. This movie is aimed at the guy that watched these movies growing up (either on video or in the theater) and wants to see a war movie, set in star wars. They will know the time line.

If it is any good, word of mouth will fill the filthy casuals in on the timeline and it won't be an issue.
redline248
AG
quote:
I'm guessing there's a fear of what I just mentioned happening - people thinking he's back and that this is Episode VIII

I know there are dummies, but surely people realize if it was episode VIII, the freaking trailer would have included "Episode VIII"

I was going to say articles like that give people almost no credit, but maybe I give people too much credit. There apparently were people that thought Snoke was really a giant, after all.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Anyone who thought Snoke was a giant after the hologram flickering.
TCTTS
AG
You're right. Disney hates money.
redline248
AG
Obviously they want as many to see as possible, I just don't think they are too concerned about any confusion. Hell, part of the marketing might rely on confused people going to see it to figure out what the f it is.

I mean, just think of all the interest generated in Cloverfield by all the nonsensical marketing.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Again, This movie isn't aimed at your parents or your girlfriend or your ktitle sex trophies.. This movie is aimed at the guy that watched these movies growing up (either on video or in the theater) and wants to see a war movie, set in star wars. They will know the time line.

If it is any good, word of mouth will fill the filthy casuals in on the timeline and it won't be an issue.

Maybe. But, at the end of the day, this franchise is a big investment for Disney, and they have to sell movie tickets, toys, clothes, amusement park tickets, etc. They aren't going to leave all of that buying to the fan boys. I don't think they are catering a movie for only those of us who will take the time to understand it fully. Now, that doesn't mean I expect Ewoks or Jar Jar, but they aren't going to jump off the deep end either.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
You're right. Disney hates money.

All I meant was if the choice in the story came down to making it appeal to kids or more serious fans, they are going to go with the more serious fan.

I wouldn't worry about the time line or "3rd death star" effecting the final numbers for this movie.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:

Maybe. But, at the end of the day, this franchise is a big investment for Disney, and they have to sell movie tickets, toys, clothes, amusement park tickets, etc. They aren't going to leave all of that buying to the fan boys. I don't think they are catering a movie for only those of us who will take the time to understand it fully. Now, that doesn't mean I expect Ewoks or Jar Jar, but they aren't going to jump off the deep end either.
If Deadpool taught us anything it's that a mature movies can make bank as much as any classic PG-PG-13 adventure movie. People love good stories regardless of maturity level. I doubt that this will be R, but they can take a serious tone with the movie. If it's good enough they will make more by virtue of being a good story and it being a Star Wars film.
redline248
AG
This movie is probably too close to Deadpool to have learned that lesson and develop with that intent.

Edit to add: It could still be dark, but I'm just saying it would likely be coincidence rather than "hey this worked for Deadpool"
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
This movie is probably too close to Deadpool to have learned that lesson and develop with that intent.

Edit to add: It could still be dark, but I'm just saying it would likely be coincidence rather than "hey this worked for Deadpool"

That's not what he was saying at all
Edit: Facepalm
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
So, yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Lucasfilm handles this. I have a cousin who's a big movie fan, and he had no idea this movie was coming out, or what it is, even after watching the trailer. He's super-excited, but figured it was some kind of sequel. And I'm seeing a lot of similar reactions on Twitter.

When they come out with a preview including an appearance of Darth vader noboby will be confused. That is the ace up their sleeve.
wangus12
AG
Don't underestimate the power of the stupid average person in modern society
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
this is actually quite interesting, and something i hadn't considered.

perhaps Lucasfilm's overreaching here? Or maybe they are going for hardcore target audience (which would make sense given this type of film it's supposed to be).

Either way, i can now see people going, wait, WHAT....a THIRD DEATH STAR? We just destroyed Starkiller base. where is BB8?

Again...it's a teaser. That one sheet, "rebellion/hope" etc, but honestly i think they will go with the tried and true literal subtitles. "Before the dark times, before the empire, before hope, there was a band of rebels that sparked a rebellion.." etc
if they had a crawl with "before the empire, before hope, etc" then the casual fan's thoughts will leap toward the prequel trilogy. Tough one. There's been nothing on screen or in marketing from Disney to direct anyone's attention to the prequels.
redline248
AG
Well excuse me for misinterpreting. You don't have to be a jerk about it.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Well excuse me for misinterpreting. You don't have to be a jerk about it.
Children if we can't play nice then you will not be allowed to stay up and watch the movie
txagman1998
AG
Is that supposed to be Jan Dodonna in the left background of the scene with Mon Mothma talking with Jyn? (apologies if this was already posted in the thread)

Also, I'm really hoping that this movie is used for source material for Part IV of the Star Wars Battlefront DLC. The T-21 and the Pulse Cannon make appearances in the trailer, as well as some other weapons not yet seen in Battlefront.
wangus12
AG
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
Don't underestimate the power of the stupid average person in modern society

Haha, fair enough.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jeremy Jahns says ay tee ay tees.

jabberwalkie09
AG
That's an ugly cape but I like his shirt.
The Collective
AG
quote:

redline248
AG
Here is why "at at" doesn't make sense...

How do you pronounce AT-ST? "at stuh?"
InternetFan02
AG
So, um...what Felicity Jones movies should someone watch if they want to learn about her and explore her talents?

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0428065/

The theory of everything is the obvious choice
Something called Breathe In on Netflix that appears to have a Poison Ivy vibe from the trailer
Like Crazy - love story also starring young Jennifer Lawrence
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Here is why "at at" doesn't make sense...

How do you pronounce AT-ST? "at stuh?"

Chicken walker
redline248
AG
Speaking of the chicken walkers, did anyone think, when you were a kid, that they were way smaller b/c of how they looked next to the AT-ATs on Hoth?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Are they not?
redline248
AG
Well, yeah, but I mean like thought they were basically the same size as the probe droid that landed.

I meant way smaller than their actual size, not way smaller than the at at.
TCTTS
AG
Like Crazy is really good. Probably my favorite of hers.
InternetFan02
AG
Damnit that Like Crazy trailer looks really good. I have a lot of tv to catch up on tonight but I'm afraid I might pull the trigger on that rental.

But it looks like something my wife would also enjoy so how do I explain it? Hey lets rent this obscure 2011 tragic love story I stumbled upon. Oh is that the new Star Wars girl?
DB Coach
AG
quote:
JJ Abrams says "at at".
The Collective
AG
quote:

But it looks like something my wife would also enjoy so how do I explain it? Hey lets rent this obscure 2011 tragic love story I stumbled upon. Oh is that the new Star Wars girl?

The Internet told me to rent this movie.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I agree with his pronunciation there of AT-AT but did you write it out the best way?
redline248
AG
Spelling the letter A isn't a natural task, imo.

bee, see, dee, ee, ef, etc...all pretty easy. Aa? Ay? Eh (Canadian)?

gee or jee?
Simplebay
AG
in TFA making of some of those people said Kee Low Ren. including Mark Hamill at the table read

yeah.....no.
First Page Last Page
Page 406 of 1253

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.