Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,642 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
Also, I don't see how this can be interpreted as anything other than a disguise (she's a bloody spy) while she is trying to escape the death star via a Tie
I don't think that's a TIE pilot uniform. It's something new.
Looks the same to me
It's different from pretty much everything that has been established to this point. Even in Rebels.

Baron Valen Rudor^ in "Empire Day" I believe.

The belt is different, and she has stuff on her back that no other pilots in the franchise have had. Not saying it isn't, just saying that I don't think it is and that it is a different and new uniform.
We will revisit this in 8 months, then!!!!
The Collective
AG
quote:
I'm just going to say it. As of right now, based solely on footage, my excitement for Rogue One > my excitement for The Force Awakens. I was obviously anticipating the mythology and story of TFA more than just about any Star Wars movie to date, but this looks EXACTLY like everything I've ever wanted from a Star Wars movie. I'm just in awe. The tone, the visuals, the cast... it's all pitch perfect. After coming away a bit underwhelmed and frustrated after a re-watch of TFA earlier this week, this makes that feel like even more of a kid's movie. Granted, it's early days yet, and there a thousand different ways this one could go wrong. But man, they've been saying Zero Dark Thirty meets Star Wars for months now, and I honestly didn't think they were really going to go there, and that it would look this beautiful. But they did, and it does. I honestly can't believe it.

I just want to point out how much I love this meme for its grammar.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
It's not. Mads is playing an Oppenheimer-like character who had a significant role in designing the Death Star.
Per Episode II the Death Star plans camp me from the Geonosians - winged rat creatures with that arena where they tried to execute ObiWan and company.

Perhaps he is responsible for designing the physics of the weapon array, not the DS itself.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
It's not. Mads is playing an Oppenheimer-like character who had a significant role in designing the Death Star.
Per Episode II the Death Star plans camp me from the Geonosians - winged rat creatures with that arena where they tried to execute ObiWan and company.
Or just a hologram of "we should build something like this" and no way to do it.
agracer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think this guy might be Kanan from Rebels...
looks like the character could be blind, looking innocent as he walks between the stormtroopers... then we see he uses the stick, but still with his eyes closed...
Director has said, and has been repeated on this thread, no force users (except for Vader)

Seems interesting they'd choose to use a variation on the Force Theme for this teaser.
Listen at the end, you can hear what sounds like him breathing.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

Perhaps he is responsible for designing the physics of the weapon array, not the DS itself.
What if I told you that by the time of Star Wars Rebels (roughly three years at this point prior to ANH) that when a planetary scan was done of Geonosis, there was no life found on the planet?
redline248
AG
I don't think the Deathstar was designed by the Geonosians, they simply were going to build it (they were building the droids, after all).
The Collective
AG
Here is what Star Wars Wiki says (is the first part canon):

quote:
The Death Star was designed by Geonosians led by Archduke Poggle the Lesser, a member of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. During the Battle of Geonosis, he gave the plans to Count Dooku, who decided to ferry them to his master Darth Sidious, who would keep them safe. Dooku was intercepted by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker in his solar sailer's hangar, but defeated them and fled Yoda by dropping a pillar on the two unconscious Jedi. Dooku met Sidious in the Works on Coruscant, and construction commenced three years later.

Stolen at some point nineteen years later via unknown means, a copy of these blueprints fell into the hands of members of the Rebel Alliance, stationed aboard the Tantive IV. Unfortunately, as the ship arrived at Tatooine to ferry Obi-Wan Kenobi to Alderaan, it was intercepted by the Devastator, and Leia Organa, in a desperate gamble, entrusted the blueprints to the memory systems of the astromech droid R2-D2.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
quote:
Another female lead that's independent and rebellious? What a groundbreaking idea.

There are Seven archetypes that any story is based on. Seems like a weird thing to complain about, especially since they don't seem to be trying to make a statement about her being a woman, and they definitely never talked about how Rey couldn't do things because she was a woman.

But if it really bothers you, who knows, she might not even be the main character. Most people thought Finn was going to be the new Jedi in TFA, and it turned out to be a marketing trick.

It's just unoriginal at this point. I'd have more respect if they cast Melissa McCarthy as a pre gender reassignment Porkins. Which actually wouldn't be all that surprising.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I think the Geonosians designed and were going to build the Death Star, until the Republic showed up. I get the sense they were exterminated to keep a secret.

There were rumors that this Jyn character is the son of the guy in charge of building the Death Star. It would make sense that he would be a high ranking officer, as the rank insignia suggests.

My question is, why is he holding that big blaster on what appears to be the bridge of the Death Star?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Another female lead that's independent and rebellious? What a groundbreaking idea.

There are Seven archetypes that any story is based on. Seems like a weird thing to complain about, especially since they don't seem to be trying to make a statement about her being a woman, and they definitely never talked about how Rey couldn't do things because she was a woman.

But if it really bothers you, who knows, she might not even be the main character. Most people thought Finn was going to be the new Jedi in TFA, and it turned out to be a marketing trick.

It's just unoriginal at this point. I'd have more respect if they cast Melissa McCarthy as a pre gender reassignment Porkins. Which actually wouldn't be all that surprising.

But you wouldn't have a problem with it if it was a man?
TCTTS
AG
Mads is 50 in real life. His character could have easily been around to help the Geonosians. Like a college genius kind of thing, recruited to oversee the design. And yes, Felicity/Jyn is rumored to be his daughter, not son.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, exactly. By his same logic, the literally thousands of similar male roles should be just as "unoriginal." People who think like this drive me insane. If anything, we need even MORE female roles like this.
The Collective
AG
I didn't give any extra thought to it being a female lead.
Deputy Travis Junior
The Dirty Dozen in space with an attractive female lead?

TCTTS
AG
Nor should you.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I think the Geonosians designed and were going to build the Death Star, until the Republic showed up. I get the sense they were exterminated to keep a secret.

There were rumors that this Jyn character is the son of the guy in charge of building the Death Star. It would make sense that he would be a high ranking officer, as the rank insignia suggests.

My question is, why is he holding that big blaster on what appears to be the bridge of the Death Star?
Yes, I believe that is what has been implied and I also think that stems from the old EU/now Legends material. I don't believe it has been made canon why they were exterminated. My guess is that I'd look for that to be made canon in the next season of Rebels via Kallus looking into the atrocities of the Empire. If you have watched Rebels, I think they've setup him to start doubting the Empire's intentions as of "The Honorable Ones" from this season.

Ah, I see you have either read MSW or some other place where rumors have been posted. I've read that too (well daughter, not son), and think it would make for an interesting story. Edwards has said that this film more of a world of shades of grey and not dark vs light like the trilogy films are. It's pretty clear that Jyn Erso has no love for the Empire based on the trailer given her criminal history that is mentioned. Also on the shades of grey thing, I think some of the characters we have seen in the trailer (I'm thinking of Whitaker's character specifically) have switched from their former allegiance.

In regards to Mendelsohn's character, it screams Imperial Security Bureau. Remember Wullf Yularen from ANH? Similar uniform, though Yularen was obviously lower in rank in ANH. I personally think (and this is from me, not read anywhere else) that he is standing there preparing to execute one of the rebel spies. The problem is that besides Yularen, Kallus is the only example we have in canon that is from the ISB and his uniform looks nothing like Mendelsohn's.

Edit: Apparently the extermination was made canon in the Darth Vader comics.
hunter2012
AG
AND JUST TO KEEP THE RECORD STRAIGHT, THE BOTHANS DIED STEALING THE PLANS FOR THE 2ND DEATH STAR. SO NO THIS GROUP IS NOT GOING TO BE BOTHANS.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah, I don't even think twice about it, as long as there isn't some instance in the movie where they shoehorn it in.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Ha, exactly. By his same logic, the literally thousands of similar male roles should be just as "unoriginal." People who think like this drive me insane. If anything, we need even MORE female roles like this.
I agree more female leads are needed but we just walked out of a star wars movie with a white, British, female lead...did they have to go and cast another one with the exact same traits? lol I'm not saying I'd be 'happy' if she was American or black or anything, because frankly it's not a big deal. Just an observation. Especially with the oscars hammering diversity over and over again, it's just a topic in the forefront of my conscious.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:

My problem is that it's forced and generic now. Two films in a row with the same gimmick. Same thing with ghostbusters reboot.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
quote:
I agree more female leads are needed but we just walked out of a star wars movie with a white, British, female lead...did they have to go and cast another one with the exact same traits? lol I'm not saying I'd be 'happy' if she was American or black or anything, because frankly it's not a big deal. Just an observation. Especially with the oscars hammering diversity over and over again, it's just a topic in the forefront of my conscious.

Bingo.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I agree more female leads are needed but we just walked out of a star wars movie with a white, British, female lead.
Ya'll are looking at this the wrong way. What they did was cast another sexy as hell female lead who can actually act. That is all that really matters
jbanda
AG
a bothan.

M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
I agree more female leads are needed but we just walked out of a star wars movie with a white, British, female lead.
Ya'll are looking at this the wrong way. What they did was cast another sexy as hell female lead who can actually act. That is all that really matters
I can get on-board with that!
The Collective
AG
quote:

quote:
The Death Star was designed by Geonosians led by Archduke Poggle the Lesser, a member of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. During the Battle of Geonosis, he gave the plans to Count Dooku, who decided to ferry them to his master Darth Sidious, who would keep them safe. Dooku was intercepted by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker in his solar sailer's hangar, but defeated them and fled Yoda by dropping a pillar on the two unconscious Jedi. Dooku met Sidious in the Works on Coruscant, and construction commenced three years later.

Stolen at some point nineteen years later via unknown means, a copy of these blueprints fell into the hands of members of the Rebel Alliance, stationed aboard the Tantive IV. Unfortunately, as the ship arrived at Tatooine to ferry Obi-Wan Kenobi to Alderaan, it was intercepted by the Devastator, and Leia Organa, in a desperate gamble, entrusted the blueprints to the memory systems of the astromech droid R2-D2.

So, I asked is the first part canon without realizing that this happens in Episode II, right? Vader then slaughters Poggle on Mustafar in Episode III, correct?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Um.... Yes, along with the rest of the Confederacy leaders.
OnlyForNow
AG
Could the beach/tropical planet be the wookie's planet?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I guess it could be Kashyyk, but where are the Wookies?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Could be, though I don't see how the story would take them to Kashyyyk. (Yes, I double-checked the spelling.)
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

So, I asked is the first part canon without realizing that this happens in Episode II, right? Vader then slaughters Poggle on Mustafar in Episode III, correct?

It's implied that the empire purged the planet to remove any remaining knowledge of the death star. There's a Rebels episode about it.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I would think Rebels has made the extinction canon.

I rarely read MSW anymore, but I always listen to the podcast!

Here's my HSO on the reason he's holding a gun on the Death Star bridge...he's about to commit suicide. I could see the rebel execution theory working, except I don't think an Admiral is usually the executor and I don't think the Death Star bridge is the ideal location for an execution.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
quote:

My problem is that it's forced and generic now. Two films in a row with the same gimmick. Same thing with ghostbusters reboot.
it's not a gimmick. It's just casting a lead role in an action movie that happens to be female. It's not a female action movie. It's an action movie with a female lead.
TCTTS
AG
I definitely agree that casting two, attractive, brunette, British, female leads in their 20s - in back-to-back movies - might be confusing for some, but that's about it. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that there's actually a decent chunk of the casual audience out there who thinks this is a sequel to TFA, and that Felicity is Rey.
wangus12
AG
No, kashyyyk is pretty much all wilderness with gigantic trees
First Page Last Page
Page 404 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.