Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,909 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

Let's be honest here, the reductive stances come from the people who hate the trilogies. I don't hate them by any stretch but they aren't great either.

You mean like, "I hate the prequel trilogy" vs. "I hate the original trilogy"? Are there people who actually hate the original trilogy?
Jacques
I don't know if anyone noticed, but on the digitial version, the 20th Century Fox Fanfare is gone. It's just a LucasFilm intro. So we know what the new movies will have.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I don't know if anyone noticed, but on the digitial version, the 20th Century Fox Fanfare is gone. It's just a LucasFilm intro. So we know what the new movies will have.

Not necessarily. No 20th Century Fox logo obviously, but it could very well be replaced with the Disney logo on all future films. Yes, Disney owns the old movies now, but they didn't make those movies. May have just been out of respect. I'd be shocked if Disney didn't put their logo in front of Episode VII.

We're probably getting something like this, except a smidge shorter and without the crappy music...

Jacques
Here's my thing with the prequels, and why I think it relates to these new movies...

The first three movies are corny. The dialogue very much so. But they work. They have good narrative drives. And the corny dialogue is delivered by actors that know how to deliver it.

The prequel movies have no narrative drive. And the corny dialogue is delivered just all wrong. As bad as the kid playing Anakin was, Liam Neeson was a mistake, too.

I really don't know what to expect with Abrams. But I hope he got what made the first three movies so right.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Here's my thing with the prequels, and why I think it relates to these new movies...

The first three movies are corny. The dialogue very much so. But they work. They have good narrative drives. And the corny dialogue is delivered by actors that know how to deliver it.

The prequel movies have no narrative drive. And the corny dialogue is delivered just all wrong. As bad as the kid playing Anakin was, Liam Neeson was a mistake, too.

I really don't know what to expect with Abrams. But I hope he got what made the first three movies so right.

Right there with you. And from everything we've heard, it sounds like Abrams understands that. At the very least, his films always move at a breakneck pace.
Jacques
quote:
quote:

Not necessarily. No 20th Century Fox logo obviously, but it could very well be replaced with the Disney logo on all future films. Yes, Disney owns the old movies now, but they didn't make those movies. May have just been out of respect. I'd be shocked if Disney didn't put their logo in front of Episode VII.
That's going to be an interesting call. I think most people would be very surprised at the number of "Disney" movies they've seen that didn't have that logo. Though I think in those cases, Disney had a reason for distancing the Disney name from those movies it doesn't have here.
Jacques
quote:
quote:

Right there with you. And from everything we've heard, it sounds like Abrams understands that. At the very least, his films always move at a breakneck pace.
I think it will help to have Ford, Hamill and Fisher back.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

We're probably getting something like this, except a smidge shorter and without the crappy music...

I'm still hoping that they do something similar in how they played off of the grid for Tron: Legacy. Maybe the castle set on Tatooine or Coruscant?
AMW2010
AG
I like this version...

TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's going to be an interesting call. I think most people would be very surprised at the number of "Disney" movies they've seen that didn't have that logo. Though I think in those cases, Disney had a reason for distancing the Disney name from those movies it doesn't have here.

Yeah, it's hard to say. Disney doesn't put their logo in front of Marvel movies since they don't produce those movies (only own them). But Disney did use their logo for something like Tron Legacy (and it was pretty bad ass), since they produced that movie outright. With Lucasfilm, it's hard to say. I know Disney is more hands on with Star Wars, but I'm not sure if Lucasfilm/Bad Robot is handling the producing aspect 100% or not. As for the Bad Robot logo, it's been in front of every Abrams directed movie - and SW is physically being edited at the Bad Robot offices in Santa Monica as we speak - so I assume it'll be used again here, but who knows.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm still hoping that they do something similar in how they played off of the grid for Tron: Legacy. Maybe the castle set on Tatooine or Coruscant?

Was thinking the same thing. Maybe just a black starry sky behind the castle would be enough. But yeah, IF they use the Disney logo, I'm sure it'll be themed in some way.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I like this version...

For some reason, the sound of a lightsaber being lit as the star shoots over the castle completely kills it for me.
AMW2010
AG
I liked that Intro for the visuals, not the over kill of FX
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS, you've done more than your fair share of *****ing about the prequels, as you've said yourself. This thread was started because you didn't want to read about the EU. Now you don't want there to be prequel discussion.

Sorry, but this thread is going to go where it goes, whether you like it or not. This is a Star Wars thread, and the prequels are a major part of the saga. If you don't want to read arguments about them, start another thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't mind them using the Disney logo, I'm just hoping it's a quick image and not the whole, long intro with the Disney music. The quicker we get to "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...", the better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gotta say, really hope it's not what they did on the digital release. Sounds chopped up and thrown together without much thought.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
Now you don't want there to be prequel discussion.

I said prequel love/hate arguments. I couldn't care less if everyone wants to discuss the prequels themselves, generally speaking. I'll do that all day long. I'm just sick of seeing "I hate the prequels!" / "Yeah, well I LOVE the prequels!" back and forth posts that do nothing for anyone. That's ALL I was referring to.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I don't mind them using the Disney logo, I'm just hoping it's a quick image and not the whole, long intro with the Disney music. The quicker we get to "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...", the better.

Yeah, even the Fox logo was the shortened version. Didn't swoop around it like normal, just faded in and out fairly quickly. I imagine that if the Disney logo is used, it'll be something similar.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Ultimately, ROTJ had its weaknesses, but it succeeded in delivering its payload. ROTS, despite being a step up from the first two prequels, did not.
I think they both succeeded, though they both had their faults.

If you take away the "NOOOO!" scene, I think the last act of ROTS is very good. Both duels were really well done. Obviously Padme "losing the will to live" was a pretty crappy plot device, but no worse than Ewoks bringing down the Empire.

And then the very last shot of ROTS -- Lucas nails it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No I get what you're saying. But you've been a part of that argument before. It will keep coming back as long as there are Star Wars fans. And it's being had in the appropriate thread for it.
AMW2010
AG
I like all 6 films in all their glory... I don't know why people are ao butt hurt about I-III.... Be lucky we have 6 Star Wars movies to enjoy... I like that I can say I saw all 6 in the theaters, even tho I saw 4-6 remastered when they came out, still counts for me!
redline248
AG
Can y'all stop arguing about the arguing over prequels. We need to focus on important crap. Like if the Disney logo will precede the Lucasfilm logo.

dave94
AG
I'm just happy that it's 2015, we're on page 100 of this thread, and a new Star Wars trailer is only days away!

Whould've thought that would ever happen after ROTS?!?
BMX Bandit
I apologize for discussing a prequel the day after it was released digitally. From now on, I will stick to these TCTTS approved thread topics:

1-Trailer release date
2-trailer length
3-logo placement
4-whether episode VIII will be released in summer or winter
5-whether episode IX will have a trailer in Avengers III
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i'll take an argument about prequel suckage vs. greatness over the 18-page argument about the release date of episode 7 any day!
Ag Since 83
AG
quote:
i'll take an argument about prequel suckage vs. greatness over the 18-page argument about the release date of episode 7 any day!
LOL. Those were the days!

I just don't understand why anyone would care what is being talked about on a 100 page thread that has been running for 15 months.

On an unrelated note, I leave for California tomorrow for Celebration. I cannot wait for a) the JJ panel and b) getting my ESB poster signed by Hamill/Fisher/Williams/Mayhew/Daniels/Baker.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm incredibly jealous of you.
Mr. White
SIAP, this performance by two of the Ep. VII stars (and the guy that cried when he got "Punk'd") is good but I hope I don't think about it in December.

Knife_Party
I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to make it through the next 2 days. Gonna have to clear my schedule for Thursday so I can binge watch the trailer and visit fan forums to read and contribute to the discussion.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly not even thinking about the trailer. In just a little over eight months, we'll be seeing this on the big screen again, followed by a Star Wars movie we've never seen.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
I apologize for discussing a prequel the day after it was released digitally. From now on, I will stick to these TCTTS approved thread topics:

1-Trailer release date
2-trailer length
3-logo placement
4-whether episode VIII will be released in summer or winter
5-whether episode IX will have a trailer in Avengers III

I've said it multiple times now: I couldn't care less if people want to talk about the prequels 'til the cows come home. I'm all for it. I was referring to the childish I-hate-them / I-love-them back and forth the discussion had been reduced to.
Legal Custodian
AG
I ****ing get on TexAgs this morning for the first time since last night and see there's 40+ posts on this thread. I get excited thinking something might have leaked. I then come here to see that people are ****ing arguing about prequels and what should or shouldn't be posted on the thread titled STAR WARS DISCUSSION THREAD?!?!?!

Needless to say, I'm pissed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Went back and looked at the posts. There really wasn't anything childish posted. Seems everyone was making pretty level-headed posts, dude.

Edit: WIth the possible exception of redline's first post.
redline248
AG
Lol. It was level headed. The pod race sucks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shut your face! The podrace is awesome! Stupid poopy head!
First Page Last Page
Page 100 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.