Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,212 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saying George Lucas sucks is more than a little hyperbolic.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Saying George Lucas sucks is more than a little hyperbolic.

I think I was pretty clear and precise on what he sucks at. He's a great idea man. Terrible at execution without a heavy dose of creative input.
jr15aggie
AG
I watched EP I with my son the other day... Gotta say it's somewhat enjoyable accepting it for what it is. But I still can't get over the opening crawl... We waited 20+ years for "the taxation of trade routes...". Seriously! Why not just, "The trade federation, under the control of the Sith, has surrounded the peaceful planet..."

It's so dumb!
Mr. White
The crawl for Episode VII should be GL's apology for 85% of the first two prequels.
TCTTS
AG
All this prequel talk is cute and all, but just in case you guys have forgotten...

WE'RE GETTING A NEW EPISODE VII TRAILER IN 3 DAYS!
jabberwalkie09
AG
The natives are restless and impatient while we wait for the new trailer, and any news that may come out from celebration.

You have to admit though, the prequels were pretty bad.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Screw all y'all, I like the prequels.
slickag2007
AG
I think you may be the only person who likes the prequels. The acting, with a few exceptions, was incredibly terrible.
TCTTS
AG
Been doing some digging/conversing, and it seems the Abrams panel/trailer reveal IS being simulcast in multiple locations - which would suggest bootlegs, hence an immediate/official online release to combat those bootlegs - but I'm also hearing that the simulcast events are by invitation only. Still, I can't imagine there being insane security at every single simulcast, but we'll see. Point being, everyone seems to think the public will get the trailer on Thursday as well, but no one is 100% sure yet.
Knife_Party
I think the public is getting it Thursday whether they release it or not.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
I think you may be the only person who likes the prequels. The acting, with a few exceptions, was incredibly terrible.
I'll admit I like two of the three. I wouldn't call them great, but I thought Phantom Menace was decent and Revenge of the Sith was about as good as Return of the Jedi. Attack of the Clones was bad though.
Knife_Party
I like TPM minus jar jar and the Tatooine scenes.

I like 2 and 3 minus Hayden Christensen and the love scenes. I think Hayden would have been a fine actor, however Lucas wrote poorly for him and directed him to act weird.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
I like TPM minus jar jar and the Tatooine scenes.

I like 2 and 3 minus Hayden Christensen and the love scenes. I think Hayden would have been a fine actor, however Lucas wrote poorly for him and directed him to act weird.
This
slickag2007
AG
Revenge of the Sith wasn't nearly as good as Return of the Jedi! Not even close. My least favorite is Phantom Menace. Kid Anakin is incredibly annoying, and it brought about things like "midi-chlorians" and he called it a "laser sword" at one point. Lame.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rotj is a flawed film. Sith is about as good as it.
Jacques
ROTJ minus the ewoks is just outstanding. The final battle in space--that was incredible. It might seem small now, with all the cgi battles in the prequels. But it was huge back when it happened.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
wrong. I like all of them.
Bruce Almighty
AG
ROTJ was heavily flawed and suffers a lot of the same problems the prequels get blasted for, yet so many people like to ignore. It was still a good film, but it was also a pretty big step back from Empire.
jeffk
AG
Ewoks
TCTTS
AG
TexAgs needs a *mute* feature like Twitter. Would love to mute all prequel-argument talk. Can't believe we're still doing this. I've done my fair share, no doubt, but we're just going in circles now.

Help us Episode VII trailer, you're our only hope...
double aught
AG
Well it's preferable to EU talk, at least to me.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
TCTTS
AG
quote:

I'll give you that for sure.
Mr. White
Do you think the prequels are excited about the new trailer?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
TexAgs needs a *mute* feature like Twitter. Would love to mute all prequel-argument talk. Can't believe we're still doing this. I've done my fair share, no doubt, but we're just going in circles now.

You can't believe we're talking about movies that came out 10-16 years ago, because we should be talking about the sequel to movies that came out 32-38 years ago?

I love the prequels - and agree that AOTC is actually the worst of the three.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
You can't believe we're talking about movies that came out 10-16 years ago, because we should be talking about the sequel to movies that came out 32-38 years ago?

I love the prequels - and agree that AOTC is actually the worst of the three.

I said prequel-argument talk. Not prequel talk. I'm totally fine with prequel talk about plot specifics and what not. It's the they-suck / they-don't-suck back and forth that is starting to get so incredibly old. It's the exact same arguments repeated over and over and over again.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's a 99 page thread. Just like real life conversations between many people, various topics are going to pop up.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm sorry, TC, but I have to ask: do you find any irony in you complaining about what people have posted on this thread, given that this thread was created as a "any Star Wars talk goes" thread because you were complaining about all the EU talk on the other thread (which subsequently died, turning this into the main Star Wars thread)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
is it cool if we argue about the prequels on The Projection List thread?
double aught
AG
quote:
is it cool if we argue about the prequels on The Projection List thread?
SpaceCityAg05
AG
While ROTJ was a step backwards from ESB in one sense, I think it is completely unfair to compare it to ROTS.

At a superficial level, yes, you got things like Ewoks and some interesting things in Jabba's palace. But that is the whole point - they were superficial. You had the suspense of great characters meeting their destinies. In jabba's palace, you had to see - was Luke really a Jedi now? How powerful has he become? But mostly the whole film is a buildup to the final act. You know that Luke and Vader, two tremendous characters, must collide once again, and that one is unlikely to walk away from it. You also have the buildup to the reveal of the mysterious Emperor, a force that is somehow powerful enough to have Vader as its servant.

ROTS could have had these things if the prequels had been done correctly. Everyone wanted to see the extermination of the Jedi. Everyone wanted to see the battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin. But most of all, everyone wanted to see the moment Darth Vader was born from the ashes of Anakin Skywalker. But these characters did not carry enough gravity to truly make these moments pay off. And the payoffs were corrupted by poor choices. For example, the dramatic rising up of Vader at the end could have gone well, until the choice was made to throw in the pathetic overdramatic "NOOOOOOOO".

Ultimately, ROTJ had its weaknesses, but it succeeded in delivering its payload. ROTS, despite being a step up from the first two prequels, did not.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I'm sorry, TC, but I have to ask: do you find any irony in you complaining about what people have posted on this thread, given that this thread was created as a "any Star Wars talk goes" thread because you were complaining about all the EU talk on the other thread (which subsequently died, turning this into the main Star Wars thread)

I'm just tired of reading the EXACT SAME ARGUMENTS over and over and over and over again. We're so far beyond b*tching/not b*tching about the prequels as something that's just going to "pop up" from time to time. Everything that has ever needed to be said about how bad/good the prequels are has been said. It's like listening to a broken record. I'm just wondering why on earth some of you want to keep rehashing the same sh*t people have been arguing over for YEARS? This thread becomes an absolute slog to get through when it's just people espousing the same old "I hate the prequels!" / "I love the prequels!" nonsense. Why is it so wrong of me to ask that we actually talk about something CONSTRUCTIVE? I don't care what the specific subject is. I'm by no means any kind of moderator here, but I have every right to express my opinion about the current conversation. Bottom line, at this point, arguing about the quality of the prequels is one of the most lame, cliched things I can possibly imagine.
TCTTS
AG
And it's not even the argument itself, per se. It's the way in which the prequels are argued that always comes down to the same childish and reductive stances, on both sides of the fence.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Dude, it's a conversation and people are going to talk about what they want to talk about. It's takes half a second to move past those posts.

And to the poster above: Google what's wrong with ROTJ. There are a ton of things in that movie that make no sense. And it's definetly fair for me to say ROTJ is on the same level as ROTS considering its my opinion.
Saxsoon
AG

Let's be honest here, the reductive stances come from the people who hate the trilogies. I don't hate them by any stretch but they aren't great either.
First Page Last Page
Page 99 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.