Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,226 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The one time CGI use in the prequels was praised
MGS
I prefer puppet Yoda in Phantom Menace.
TCTTS
AG
Very interesting...

http://badassdigest.com/2015/04/09/how-did-i-screw-up-that-star-wars-story/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
4K theatrical re-release of the OT. You know this is in the works.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Not sure if serious....
TCTTS
AG
quote:

I really, truly hope so. Hopefully we get some kind of official announcement next week at the celebration. I wonder what the release strategy would be? A movie each month, in September, October and November? That said, I feel like that announcement would have to come in the next week or so at the latest for that to even be reality, logistically speaking. Even then, the timing would feel off. "Hey, you know those digital versions you paid for last week? Well, we've got ANOTHER special edition coming this fall!" Seems like that'd ruffle a lot of feathers.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Not sure if serious....

It's absolutely, 100% in the works. We just have no idea when.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Not sure if serious....

It's absolutely, 100% in the works. We just have no idea when.
Oh ok, so a 4K video release of the theatrical version. Got it. Was wrapping my head around putting this thing back in theaters and saying it was 4k....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes, a theater release.
TCTTS
AG
I'm so confused now.

Brian and I are both referring to a theatrical re release, not video. There will DEFINITELY be another theatrical re release at some point before or during the next trilogy run. In 4K. With ever so slightly tweaked effects (again).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah I'm not understanding the confusion either.

Can they not project 4k in theaters?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Yeah I'm not understanding the confusion either.

Can they not project 4k in theaters?
I thought theaters already were 4k?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly, so...

Why the confusion? Now I'm more confused. Lol.
Legal Custodian
AG
What the **** is 4K?!?!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.amctheatres.com/sony4k
TCTTS
AG
- The last time the original trilogy was in theaters was 1997. This was when the special editions debuted.

- Since then, the special editions saw a massive restoration for Blu-ray in which many film artifacts were cleaned up, color timing was improved, etc.

- Now, it seems as though the original trilogy has been remastered AGAIN for 4K, having also restored a couple of things people didn't like about the special editions, effects/edit-wise.

- 4K is nearly four times the resolution of standard, 1080p Blu-ray.

- Almost all digital theatrical projectors now are 4K.

Hence, we're WAY past due for another theatrical run of the original trilogy, this time in crystal clear, cleaned up 4K.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
May 4, 2017? 40th anniversary, and on Star Wars Day?
JJxvi
AG
4k might be a step up from the 1080p of home releases, but its a more arguable point whether its a step up from non-digital film, especially since they could clean out a lot of the film look if they really remaster it. Are they gonna make it looks like a cartoon in 4K?
Knife_Party
Jacques
quote:
I'm so confused now.

Brian and I are both referring to a theatrical re release, not video. There will DEFINITELY be another theatrical re release at some point before or during the next trilogy run. In 4K. With ever so slightly tweaked effects (again).
No doubt. Watching my newly acquired digital stream version of A New Hope last night I realized that the Mos Eisley space port bit really just needs more cgi'd alien rodents in it.
BMX Bandit
Watched Phantom Menace with my kids last night.

It really is a bad movie. Plot, direction, casting, acting, etc.
The Collective
AG
My fear is that I show the movies to my kids at too young of an age, and they enjoy TPM the most.
Thunder18
AG
quote:
Watched Phantom Menace with my kids last night.

It really is a bad movie. Plot, direction, casting, acting, etc.

Agreed....and then you add in Jar Jar ruining every scene he is in. The Darth Maul/Qui Gon Jinn/ Obi Wan fight scene and accompanying score is really the only part worth watching
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought the pod racing scene was really good.
Thunder18
AG
Yea I suppose that part was OK too...not much dialogue to bring it down
redline248
AG
Why do people love the pod racing scene so much? Is it bc you were a kid/teen? There was all the dumb droid slapstick, absolutely no suspense Anakin would win, and the fact that the entire rest of the saga was dependent on him winning that race. Lamest shht ever.
Knife_Party
Bruce Almighty
AG
Why are you worried so much about what other people like? I just thought it was a cool scene, no more no less. I'm not some Star Wars super fan that wants to over analyze everything. As far as my age? I was a sophomore at A&M when it came out.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Why do people love the pod racing scene so much? Is it bc you were a kid/teen? There was all the dumb droid slapstick, absolutely no suspense Anakin would win, and the fact that the entire rest of the saga was dependent on him winning that race. Lamest shht ever.
Why do you like the Death Star run. Was there any doubt Luke would win?
jeffk
AG
The sound effects are what makes the pod racing scene enjoyable to me. Hope that's an acceptable enough reason.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My main problem with the pod racing scene is that they explicitly say that the only reason Anakin can do it is because he has a really powerful connection with the Force, but absolutely nothing in the race displays that. I would have loved something in line of the race going a million miles an hour, but we see it through Anakin's eyes and it's progressing really slowly, or that he really does "see things before they happen" and anticipates Sebulba's tactics, etc.

Really it is my problem with Anakin specifically and the Jedi as a whole throughout the PT - nothing Anakin does in any of the movies appears to be something no other Jedi could do. I guess landing Grievous' ship in ROTS? But didn't he just hold onto the steering wheel? He kills Dooku, which is impressive, but you're telling me Yoda or Mace Windu couldn't have done that?

It extends to the Jedi in the AOTC arena scene. They all just run right at the droids. Are you friggin kidding me? You have this unreal power that can let you do almost anything and you run right at the enemy with a sword? That's like if Magneto and Professor X decided to fight the Sentinels by shooting guns at them and punching them.
MGS
I still have no idea why Maul was sent to kill Amidala. Her escape and subsequent speech to the Senate helped Palps become Chancellor.
dave94
AG
quote:
I still have no idea why Maul was sent to kill Amidala. Her escape and subsequent speech to the Senate helped Palps become Chancellor.
Maybe that assassination would rile things up in the Senate so much that a vote of no confidence could have happened sooner?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Nothing makes sense about the prequels because there was no plan on how to get from the opening crawl of TPM to the opening crawl of ANH. No plan, at all.

There wasn't really a plan for the events to follow ANH, either (and what little plan there was he abandoned between ESB and RotJ), but that's not any big sin because those weren't prequels with a predetermined end.

Lucas, left to his own devices, without the guiding hand of strong creative partners, sucks. He sucks as a writer and as a director and as an architect to an ongoing series. It's really not any more complicated than that.
Ulrich
Because when you get a bunch of sci-fi fans in a room for a movie about lasers, telekinesis, and glowing sword fights and then give them a thrilling saga of parliamentary procedure and trade regulations instead, you know they'll sleep through the plot holes anyway.
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.