Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,361 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe the same place that gave maul his robot legs reattaches heads and temeura is playing jango!
redline248
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Maybe the same place that gave maul his robot legs reattaches heads and temeura is playing jango!
Would he be between 60 and 70 years old?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I just got a haircut for the first time since February. Ive gone from AOTC Obiwan to TPM Obiwan
TCTTS
AG

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
No wonder the 2nd half of that movie was one giant cartoon!
TCTTS
AG
Haven't listened yet, but can't wait...

https://johnaugust.com/2020/the-empire-strikes-back-with-lawrence-kasdan
MandoArms
What would you do if we get a Cody redemption arc in season 2 of the Mandalorian but we don't get to see Rex?
IG: mando_arms
Civil04
AG
Not sure if it's already been posted, but why don't they make a trilogy or even a single film (though it would take more) about the Old Republic...Darth Bane and his quest for power and the old Jedi Order. I refuse to watch the new ones for the sole reason that they are stupid and don't follow Lucas' story, but not sure why they haven't gone back to older Star Wars instead of making up story lines. The prequels allude to a lot of things about the Old Republic, so why not just shoot off of that? Then Yoda fans would get the green dudes story and some background to why the Sith went extinct.
Chipotlemonger
AG
We know that Yoda has super long life, but do we know at what point he went down his path to becoming a Jedi, and then a Master?

Point being. 800 ish years ago before the current saga, he may have been just a "child" even though he was 100 years old.
LPHA
AG
I would be interested in some stories that happened a little more recently, and in a galaxy that's a reasonable distance away.
Civil04
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

We know that Yoda has super long life, but do we know at what point he went down his path to becoming a Jedi, and then a Master?

Point being. 800 ish years ago before the current saga, he may have been just a "child" even though he was 100 years old.
That's true, we don't really know where Yoda fits into the whole picture, but that's where the creative minds come into play. Though you do have to be somewhat realistic. Which maybe that's where they need to go with the series. Yoda's rise to master and who trained him.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Something I was thinking of earlier while watching the Mando doc - what if the Child is an imperfect clone of Yoda - like totally innocent, doesn't have the same kind of mind as Yoda, almost like a Force-powered Lennie from Of Mice and Men - the Child understands basic concepts like love and friendship and uses its powers accordingly like saving Mando from the Mudhorn, but it is easily capably of misunderstanding things as well - like choking Cara when she and Mando are arm wrestling, which makes it very dangerous.

In that instance, finding someplace to keep the Child safe and out of stressors would be Mando's task, and potentially something someone like Ahsoka would be good at since she could use the Force to "talk" to the Child easier. Just a random thought I had today.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/confessions/comments/gn838q/im_the_one_who_destroyed_revenge_of_the_sith_in/
Gangnam Style
AG
I applaud that guy for uniting all of the star wars subreddits!
NPH-
AG
hey do y'all remember that time a major motion picture with an absolutely massive fandom ended with a janitor using the force to clean an animal stall?

great movie, really draws you in for multiple rewatches.
Urban Ag
AG
NPH- said:

hey do y'all remember that time a major motion picture with an absolutely massive fandom ended with a janitor using the force to clean an animal stall?

Random drive by shooting of The Last Jedi is, well, random.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
Urban Ag said:

NPH- said:

Random drive by shooting of The Last Jedi is, well, random.

Well, we have:

1: Stairway celebration
2: Beachside wedding
3: Binary sunset
4: Medal ceremony
5: Spiral galaxy and rebel fleet
6: YUB NUB!!!!! (or a bunch of random planet celebrations) and Force Ghosts
7: Jedi steps and Luke MF'n Skywalker
8. Random stable boy???
9. Binary sunset

one of these things is not like the others
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That was cool.

I saw a bit of myself in that guy, as I still build scale models (I donated 3 to the museum aboard the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi). When Star Wars came out in the summer of '77, I was 9 with a birthday in early June. I would be 10 before my dad finally convinced me to go see it - I had not been impressed with any of the advertising I'd seen on the movie and thought it was going to be insanely stupid. Then a quick trip to Sugar Land to a theater that was once located across the street from the famous Imperial Sugar Factory, and when we got home, I set about the house looking for all the cardboard I could find, and proceeded to build from scratch as many X-Wings and TIE Fighters as I could.

I built the Millennium Falcon model he talked about in the video, as well as the X-Wing, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, R2-D2, C-3P0, and the Darth Vader models that a company called MPC released circa 1978. Now I have a bunch of kits from Japanese companies that are far more detailed than those MPC kits, Bandai and Fine Molds, but I've only built a Jedi Starfighter and Luke's X-Wing thus far.
TCTTS
AG
This is 40.

May 21, 1980.

Quite possibly the greatest blockbuster of all time...

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I thought that was Seth Rogan on first glance
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Recently discovered on a podcast that it opened up against The Shining on the same weekend.

That's insane. Talk about an all-timer. Maybe the best movie weekend of all time?

(Though ironically, only true in restrospect, given that reviews were mixed at best for both of them at the time.)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Recently discovered on a podcast that it opened up against The Shining on the same weekend.

That's insane. Talk about an all-timer. Maybe the best movie weekend of all time?

(Though ironically, only true in restrospect, given that reviews were mixed at best for both of them at the time.)
My recollection goes against whatever podcast you listened to, and only pertains to Houston, TX. TESB came out on a Wednesday, but given that I lived in Lake Jackson and was finishing 7th grade, I didn't get to my Dad's place in Houston until the following weekend, and saw it on May 24. The Shining was a summer release, some time in June. Perhaps the podcaster was referencing an advance preview of The Shining that happened to play the same weekend?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
May 21 for ESB, May 23 for The Shining. (Wed and Fri)

But that is still typically considered the same opening weekend.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

May 21 for ESB, May 23 for The Shining. (Wed and Fri)

But that is still typically considered the same opening weekend.
Well, you stoked my curiosity, and I found on IMDB that it was released on May 23 1980 in a limited capacity, so presumably NY and LA. Which is why I stated that my recollection pertained only to Houston, knowing that Houston is considered back-water territory by Hollywood and very rarely gets early premieres of highly anticipated movies, especially in those days.

Edit - everyone else got the movie on June 13.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think I need that poster framed and on the wall
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag
AG
Wow. 40 years snuck up on me pretty fast. I didn't even think about it until I saw these posts. I was six years old and ESB still remains my favorite movie of all time and my favorite cinematic experience. I do recall that the lines were really long and we didn't see it for several weeks after it was released because we lived in the sticks and the closest movie theater was 45 minutes away.

I remember something about that really well. At the point where Han ignites the lightsaber and slices open the tauntaun, this women sitting in front us gasped really loud and pearl clutches. Being country kids, my older brother immediately blurts out "oh come on it's just some guts". I laughed. My parents laughed. The lady gave us a dirty look. It was a good time.
The Collective
AG
Urban Ag is from the country?
Urban Ag
AG
Yup. Born and raised among the cow patties.

Urban is actually my name not a reference to city dwellers. I didn't put a lot of thought in to my handle 18 years ago when I created. Had I, I am pretty sure you'd currently know me as Porksword Ag or something a little catchier.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Are you Karl Urban?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Despite all the majesty of Luke, Yoda, and Darth Vader in ESB, my favorite scene over time has evolved to the look on Leia's face combined with musical cue as Luke reaches out to her. We'd never seen anyone communicating like this (while alive) and when I was 6, I had long since forgotten about Yoda's "There is Another" line, but I love the implications of this tiny little thing.

ChipFTAC01
AG
He's actually Pope Urban VI.
First Page Last Page
Page 951 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.