Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,338 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If you have about 3 hours to read, Jason Ward from Making Star Wars.net has gone straight tire fire and apparently decided to post about every single bad decision he's made in the last 5 year. Yikes.

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/05/i-owe-you-an-apology-i-was-a-creep/
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Side Note: The 15-year-Old

Whenever anything a grown man posts online has this as a section heading - especially in an apology piece, no matter the content that follows - it might be time for that person to re-evaluate his life.

Whatever's he's going through, I hope he finds peace. But man, that dude has always rubbed me the wrong way, and I would not be at all upset if he wasn't a part of the online Star Wars community going forward.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Yeah, once I saw how long that piece was (TWSS), my first thought was - you really should not be putting this on a website. That's something you write out for you lawyer and then clam the hell up and never talk until he says you're allowed to.
gougler08
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

If you have about 3 hours to read, Jason Ward from Making Star Wars.net has gone straight tire fire and apparently decided to post about every single bad decision he's made in the last 5 year. Yikes.

The ultimate TL;DR
AliasMan02
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Quote:

Last year, a site that doesn't like Disney-era Star Wars posted my home address. People showed up at my house where my kids live. We had to move.
The Fandom Menace people are the absolute worst.
512Ag
AG
NSIAP: Every X-wing scene set to "Danger Zone"

Ag Since 83
AG
Jar Jar Binks is now 21 years old. Good thing bars are closed. I'm not sure the world is ready for drunk Jar Jar
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was this the "scoop"?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
21 years ago today, a handsome, much less fat 25-year-old Muck skipped work and saw Star Wars Episode I at 10:15 a.m., 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. at the same theater in West Houston.
TCTTS
AG
No, that Ward confession thing is from May 1st.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Why was Rogue One heads and shoulders above the sequels? Have we had an in depth discussion on this question?
Urban Ag
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Why was Rogue One heads and shoulders above the sequels? Have we had an in depth discussion on this question?
IMO. It captured the feel and excitement of the OT like nothing has since 1983. Start to finish.

When the Rebel fleet comes out of hyperspace over Scariff I'm eight years old again. When the X-wings and other craft take out the AT-ATs on the beach I'm smiling ear to ear. When Vader wrecks shop I'm on the edge of my seat.

Nothing else has come close since 1983, for me anyway. And I don't hate the prequels (I love ROTS and the third act of AOTC).
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes I agree. But why was it able to do that? What parts or features all came together to do that?
Flashdiaz
AG
because someone took the time to write an outline of the story.
Urban Ag
AG
It's a good question. I could answer it several ways. The OT is essentially about a war and both sides take the war very seriously. It's gritty and cruel. Both sides are playing for keeps like they are in an actual war.

The sequels never get close to this. At all. Rey never really suffers the way Luke did. It's too campy and light hearted in ways the OT never was.

The prequels, for me they never really got out of the gate until the third act of AOTC.
jeffk
AG
Because the dialogue sounded like it was written by an adult?
AliasMan02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Yes I agree. But why was it able to do that? What parts or features all came together to do that?
Nostalgia played a big part. The sequels are all about moving the franchise into a new era, that while it obviously leans heavily on the OT, worked to deconstruct it (like killing off characters) and create a new narrative. A reboot, essentially. That had mixed results and reception.

RO lives firmly in the OT sandbox. Every single thing in it borrows directly from the OT so it feels incredibly authentic. Cassian is wearing a Rebel-issued jacket just like Han's from ESB. Dutch Vander is there leading Gold Squadron. Classic stormtroopers.

RO was also an original, self-contained story. Disney struggled mightily with the multi-film arc aspect of the ST, just as Lucas did with the PT.
TXAG 05
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

21 years ago today, a handsome, much less fat 25-year-old Muck skipped work and saw Star Wars Episode I at 10:15 a.m., 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. at the same theater in West Houston.

I remember my buddies and I racing from high school to the movie theater to buy tickets for opening day. So much joy and excitement, soon to be followed by great disappointment and confusion.
Fenrir
Chipotlemonger said:

The two leads had actual motivations and character growth.
Urban Ag
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I remember my buddies and I racing from high school to the movie theater to buy tickets for opening day. So much joy and excitement, soon to be followed by great disappointment and confusion.
Lol. My wife, girlfriend at the time, had never seen any of the OT. I told her she was going to be blown away by all the pure awesomeness that was all things Star Wars. Man did I feel like a tool by the time that was done. I did drag her to AOTC which she liked better because of the cheesy romance aspect of it. And she was knocked up when we saw ROTS. Don't recall if she liked it or not. But yeah. Exactly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In May 2005, my friends and I took our last final of our junior year in HS, and headed straight for the mall to buy our ROTS tickets.

We met up with a bunch of other friends from school at the Red Lobster, ate, and then all headed over to watch the movie together.

Walking around the mall, we saw some other kids from our school who'd seen the movie and they said it was awesome, which got us hyped.

After the movie, we saw of one our teachers outside in the lobby, who saw the movie also and said it was her favorite since the OT. She said it finally felt like Star Wars for her.

A lot of random detail, but I just remember that day really well cause it was such a fun day.

15 years ago today.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I had just closed on my first house in Katy, and took time from unpacking boxes to go over to the Cinemark to sit in a packed theater to watch that one. Saw it again probably 3 times in the next 2 days or so. Then again a few weeks later right before I embarked on a driving trip with my dad, my sister and her family to Disney World.
Gangnam Style
AG
https://www.slashfilm.com/timothy-olyphant-mandalorian-character/

Timothy Olyphant will be playing Cobb Vanth
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/summer-movie-showdown/

(All the non-Star Wars movies mysteriously got hundreds of thousands of votes overnight and took the lead.)
TCTTS
AG
So one character will be wearing Boba Fett's armor while another plays Boba Fett himself? Hmmm...

Dro07
AG
He's playing Rex. Fett is a misdirect
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hope this is the case.
MandoArms
Fett's armor being worn by someone else is actually set up in one of the Aftermath novels.

I believe a local sheriff, Cobb Vanth (had to google his name), finds it and starts using it while he attempts to bring law and order to Tatooine.
IG: mando_arms
TCTTS
AG
Right. That's what the article says and that's the character Olyphant is playing.
MandoArms
My bad, didn't read the article!
Urban Ag
AG
I call bullsh**!

We're only on year 38 of Fett's 1000 year digestion inside the Sarlac.

Damn, is nothing sacred anymore?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I wouldn't trade that day for anything, what a blast to see it all play out on the big screen.
The Collective
AG
Meesa wish I could have watched TPM for the first time with managed expectations.
MandoArms
MuckRaker96 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I wouldn't trade that day for anything, what a blast to see it all play out on the big screen.
Whenever I need to be reminded about the hype that surrounded the release of TPM I watch Fanboys and remember how excited the world was.
First Page Last Page
Page 950 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.