Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,678 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha! Perfect.
FNG
FNG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Little disappointed to only have 30 votes so far.

This is probably the wrong time to confess that I've voted 27 times.
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Obi-Wan delayed to 2022.
At the rate it's going, when this Obi-Wan is released, Ewan McGregor will be almost Alec Guiness' age when he first filmed Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You know. I never realized this until now, but Obi-Wan is probably the biggest main character to not have his own theme.

(Unless you count Chewie and the droids.)

I guess you might consider "Tales of a Jedi Knight" that Muck mentioned as kind of a de facto Obi-Wan theme (which is a great track, btw).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You know. I never realized this until now, but Obi-Wan is probably the biggest main character to not have his own theme.

(Unless you count Chewie and the droids.)

I guess you might consider "Tales of a Jedi Knight" that Muck mentioned as kind of a de facto Obi-Wan theme (which is a great track, btw).
The original Force theme, was written as Ben Kenobi's theme for the first film. For TESB, it was changed, and then forever known as the Force Theme.

John Williams Themes, Part 1 of 6: The Force Theme

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hm. Interesting, I had it in my mind that it was more of a Luke theme rather than an Obi-Wan theme. Good to know!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's a cool bit of trivia. (Which I may have posted before.)

The string section in Duel of the Fates is playing the Force Theme in reverse.

Thanks David Collins for that great Celebration panel!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All the shutouts have disappeared. Granted, there's still some at 97%, but every track has now received votes.

Two upsets brewing. I'll let you all guess which ones.
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hm. Interesting, I had it in my mind that it was more of a Luke theme rather than an Obi-Wan theme. Good to know!
In the OT, you could argue that was the case. It would be heard nearly all the times Luke uses the Force. They Rey came along and took more than his name, you hear it several times in the ST with Rey using the Force.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
512Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My favorite moment was when Lucas first heard John Williams play the score, he called up Spielberg and held the phone up the entire time so he could hear it, cause he was so excited and overwhelmed.

"Steve. Steve...It's your buddy. Your buddy George Lucas. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well listen to this!"
It actually would be the reverse, as Spielberg introduced George to John Williams. Steve should be calling George during the scoring of Jaws to get him to listen to that score.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Out of Spielberg's first 26 feature films, John Williams did the score for 25 of them. What was the only exception?
FNG
MuckRaker96 said:

Out of Spielberg's first 26 feature films, John Williams did the score for 25 of them. What was the only exception?

American Graffiti?
TCTTS
AG
George Lucas directed American Graffiti.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Color Purple?
FNG
TCTTS said:

George Lucas directed American Graffiti.

https://tenor.com/view/thor-so-close-so-close-gif-12945317
Malachi Constant
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Here's a cool bit of trivia. (Which I may have posted before.)

The string section in Duel of the Fates is playing the Force Theme in reverse.

Thanks David Collins for that great Celebration panel!

Can you explain this?
Ag Since 83
AG
Bridge of spies
americathegreat1492
Any interest in a best prequel memes tourney?

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Duel, The Color Purple, and Bridge of Spies as far as I can tell
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Color Purple?
This is correct, Quincy Jones did the soundtrack.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian is it time for the results yet? I've got to work all night.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My favorite moment was when Lucas first heard John Williams play the score, he called up Spielberg and held the phone up the entire time so he could hear it, cause he was so excited and overwhelmed.
My favorite too. The sound effect of the score being transmitted over the phone is awesome.

I also enjoyed hearing that the call cost 20th Century Fox hundreds of dollars. Remember long distance?
Ag Since 83
AG
In 2017 I went to Cinemark for a 40th anniversary showing of Close Encounters and before the movie they had a featurette with Spielberg, and he said he remembered the first time he heard the Star Wars score he was terrified because he didn't know if JW would have anything left to write a good score for Close Encounters
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Duel, The Color Purple, and Bridge of Spies as far as I can tell
Also, the Twilight Zone movie featured a score by Jerry Goldsmith.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Spielberg only directed one segment of that movie, so I don't think it really counts.

Hey Brian, did "A New Alliance' from Last Jedi come close to making the cut? I was listening to it last night. Pretty thrilling track.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Color Purple?
This is correct, Quincy Jones did the soundtrack.
Total guess on my part. Never saw that movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I'm letting it run till tonight. Maybe early evening and I'll have the Sweet 16 ready to go by tonight.
Ag Since 83
AG
More recently Alan Silvestri did the score for Ready Player One, which is fitting given the influence of Back to the Future in the book and movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I did consider one other TLJ track, but it would've had to kick out either one of the Rogue One tracks (both of which I really like), or Cantina Band (which I just really wanted to have in there).

It would have been either that one or "The Last Jedi".

But there's quite a few others that barely missed the cut.

"The Tusken Camp and the Homestead" from AOTC. (Anakin's first dip into the dark side killing the sand people, and bringing his dead mother home.)

"Enter Lord Vader" from ROTS. (Vader & troops marching into the Jedi Temple)

The Imperial Motif from Rogue One.

Many others. It could've easily been a round of 64, but it just would've been way too much work. (Seeding, youtube links, etc.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I'm letting it run till tonight. Maybe early evening and I'll have the Sweet 16 ready to go by tonight.
Let me amend this. There's only one matchup which is competitive at this point. Unless it creeps closer to 50/50 throughout today, I'll cut off this round by the early afternoon and get the next round rolling before the work day is up.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm rolling out the first region competition of the 1980s movie competition today, which is the Sci-Fi/Fantasy bracket and will post a link here. Even if you hate the seeding, the brackets (32 per region) are insane with great movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice.

Feel free to post here, but I feel like that should get its own thread as well. Maximum visiblity.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
oh yeah, i'm going to post to the masses. Just adding a link here. have to time it so mrs. muck doesn't come to check her email and wonder why my "work" involves E.T. vs. Time Bandits.
First Page Last Page
Page 931 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.