Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,851,365 Views | 43782 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by jokershady
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

You've never seen the original version of ROTJ?
I'm pretty sure the only way to watch it is the old THX tapes on VHS. Brian was only a youngling when Ep 1 came out, well after the special edition changes.

Or maybe they happened around the same time?
Ah, that makes sense. If anyone happens to have a laser disc player, there is a boxed set of the original releases that can still be found on eBay. I know this because back in the 90s, when I was younger and dumber, I dropped roughly $6K on laser discs, one of which was that Star Wars boxed set. I'd love to get rid of these paper weights but can't stomach the lack of value on the damn things.
TXAG 05
AG
I have the original versions on DVD. There was a box set that had the SE versions and the theatrical versions.

I said on here before that I believe the reason why a lot of people rank ROTJ low is because they have only seen the terrible SE version. You guys can keep "Celebration Song" or whatever it's called with force ghost Hayden Christiansen. The Ewoks know how to party.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Special edition anh came out on january 31 1997, with esb on february 21 (my 23rd birthday) and rotj on march 14. Episode i was in 1999. Of course then they went back again and added jangos voice to empire, the hologram of ian mcdiarmid to empire, and hayden's ghost and the naboo celebration to jedi after 2005. To me the worst change of all is having not james earl jones saying "alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" and then vader is obviously not on the destroyer but the 2nd death star. Anyone who had seen the movies more than twice would know thats not his voice and nothing about that change makes sense
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Many blowouts (several 100/%'s), a few slightly more competitive ones, and one dead heat.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Hoping for more votes throughout the work day today.
redline248
AG
Off-topic...

Is this Rey's grandmother?
redline248
AG
Oh, and Muck, how did you leave this character out of the hot tourney?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

You've never seen the original version of ROTJ?
Correct. The only version I've ever owned is the 2004 DVD box set.

I will say I remember watching it on VHS when I was a kid, maybe 9 or 10, at a friend's house. That would have been 97-98, so I have no idea what version it could've been.
Ag Since 83
AG
I will only watch ANH and ROTJ on my LaserDisc or VHS copies so I see the non-special edition. Late last year I did show some friends who had never seen the movies before the original trilogy, and was willing to watch ESB on BluRay since that one is relatively unscathed. I still don't like the changes to it, but they aren't as infuriating as Jabba in ANH/Greedo shooting first/the stupid music in Jabba's palace/replacing Yub Nub.

Picking Yub Nub over Rey's theme was a tough choice. I blame Spilner for matching up all the songs I like against each other.
Coog97
MuckRaker96 said:

To me the worst change of all is having not james earl jones saying "alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" and then vader is obviously not on the destroyer but the 2nd death star. Anyone who had seen the movies more than twice would know thats not his voice and nothing about that change makes sense

And the original line was such a great read, JEJ tersely grumbling, "Bring my shuttle..." Not the most memorable line on content, but such an awesome delivery.

Ulrich
I've got the OT DVD box set with the theatrical releases and special edition releases. Picked it up on Amazon a few years ago for ~120 bucks, and worth every penny.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Matchups are set!

Round of 32 -
Vote here!

I'll let this round go for 48 hours or so, until Thursday night.
Thanks for doing this Spilner. It's forced me to finally, after all these years, actually attach titles to the music which I admit I have never done in my life. All of this has been rattling around in my brain since the late 70's, humming it, playing it in my mind while working or otherwise doing mundane task.

Across the Stars has to be my all time favorite closely followed by Han Solo and the Princess.

Your Father Would be Proud is a very, very, solid entry from Rogue One.

For as much crap as the PT gets, wow, the music is simply amazing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Phantom Menace soundtrack makes it my favorite movie of the prequels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Even the Trade Federation March is pretty dang cool.

Sadly, it's getting thrashed currently.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah. The only thing I did was seeded them 1-8, and the generator took it from there. I didn't wan't to have any bias as far as setting the matchups.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is the ONLY change in ESB which I didn't like. The original line is so badass, I just don't see why that change was needed.

Every other change was great though. Cloud City looks SO much better in the SE's.
dave94
AG
Coog97 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

To me the worst change of all is having not james earl jones saying "alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" and then vader is obviously not on the destroyer but the 2nd death star. Anyone who had seen the movies more than twice would know thats not his voice and nothing about that change makes sense

And the original line was such a great read, JEJ tersely grumbling, "Bring my shuttle..." Not the most memorable line on content, but such an awesome delivery.

I just now realized why they changed the line...Lucas wanted to add one more CGI exterior shot with the shuttle already at the landing platform, so it didn't make sense for Vader to call for it.

Definitely not worth it, the original was so much more menacing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
By the way, the true championship of this bracket is going to take place in the bottom half semis.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, never realized that, but that makes sense.

Even dumber. Sacrifice a great line reading for a stale and lifeless one, just to get an unnecessary CGI shot in there. Sigh.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Little disappointed to only have 30 votes so far.

To be fair, maybe there's not as many movie score nerds that care enough to vote for 16 matchups.

Hopefully it picks up. Vore!

Edit: I'm thinking maybe next time making them separate votes. Some people may not care about all of these.
FNG
Voted.

Reviewed each piece last night, which was easy thanks to your helpful YouTube links.

I had to go Cantina Band over Imperial March based on the reaction I had to the Mos Eisley bar scene on opening night as a 9 year-old. That assortment of aliens and that funky music was just a big "wow" moment for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You are the first. Glad it's not a shutout.

Edit: Actually, second. Two straight votes for Cantina Band!
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be fair, maybe there's not as many movie score nerds that care enough to vote for 16 matchups.

Edit: I'm thinking maybe next time making them separate votes. Some people may not care about all of these.
I care; I just don't have the listening time to dedicate. I'm like UrbanAg. Except for 3-4 of these I have no idea what they are just looking at the titles. I might be able to get to it tonight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Alright, I went ahead and made none of the questions "required", in case some of you just want to vote for a couple of the matchups and ignore others.
dave94
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Had to find time to listen to them all, as I'm never sure by title which is which. Doing it now!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glad people are listening to the tracks though. If nothing else, I was hoping some of these lesser known tracks would get some love.
PatAg
AG
Leia's theme should be higher, thats all I wanted to say.
FNG
If they could make all the prequels into movies of Bad Lip Reading but keep the scores, the movies would take on a new and better life.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's a #3 seed, which is pretty dang good. Take a look at the ones above it though. Some stiff competition. Hard to say definitively which one you move down.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Obi-Wan delayed to 2022.
TCTTS
AG
When they moved filming back to January 2021, this was an inevitability.
PDWT_12
AG
If I remember correctly from the Blockbusters podcast, they mentioned that Carrie Fisher cried the first time she heard her theme performed.
TCTTS
AG
That was such an awesome moment in the podcast.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My favorite moment was when Lucas first heard John Williams play the score, he called up Spielberg and held the phone up the entire time so he could hear it, cause he was so excited and overwhelmed.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is probably the wrong time to confess that I've voted 27 times.
512Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My favorite moment was when Lucas first heard John Williams play the score, he called up Spielberg and held the phone up the entire time so he could hear it, cause he was so excited and overwhelmed.

"Steve. Steve...It's your buddy. Your buddy George Lucas. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well listen to this!"
First Page Last Page
Page 930 of 1251

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.