Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,808 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 4 regions are tentatively named

Jar Jar Stinks

Mannequin Skywalker

Padme Ohsodulla

and

Various Other Idiots
YouBet
AG
gougler08 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

YouBet said:

Only one of the gifs works.
I can see them on my desktop, laptop, and droid. Not sure what else to tell you.
I could see them on desktop fine, but not phone earlier today...who knows

Yeah, doesn't work on mobile for me in any browser. Maybe it's Apple.
Ulrich
MuckRaker96 said:

The 4 regions are tentatively named

Jar Jar Stinks

Mannequin Skywalker

Padme Ohsodulla

and

Various Other Idiots
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What a lineup. That's 92 Dream Team esque.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The biggest throwdown of the Sweet 16 so far is Vader vs. Ackbar, lead has changed hands at least 10 times.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

#2 "The Force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet." Darth Vader, ESB vs. #3 " It's a trap!" Admiral Ackbar, ROTJ

Ugh. This one absolutely killed me.

The first one is literally one of my favorite scenes in the entire saga.

But, if you divorce the quote from the actual scene, "It's a trap" is one of the most quotable lines of all time.

Had to vote with my head and not my heart.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Replacing Anakin's name with the word mannequin in dialogue is amazingly accurate in some cases. Only surpased by replacing the word 'boy' with the word 'biatch'.

You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force ... you believe it's this biatch?
Brave of you, biatch, I would have thought you'd learned your lesson.
Only passengers. Myself, the biatch, two droids ... and no questions asked.
The biatch has no patience.
redline248
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Replacing Anakin's name with the word mannequin in dialogue is amazingly accurate in some cases. Only surpased by replacing the word 'boy' with the word 'biatch'.

You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force ... you believe it's this biatch?
Brave of you, biatch, I would have thought you'd learned your lesson.
Only passengers. Myself, the biatch, two droids ... and no questions asked.
The biatch has no patience.
Like father like son
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No, I am your biatch.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
He's just a biatch, Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
The biatch has exceptional skills.
Oh Ani, you'll always be that little biatch I knew on Tatooine.
Al Bula
AG
Not sure if it has ever been said, probably has but here it goes again: the sith names are 1000000% cringey.

Vader
Sidious
Maul
tyrannus
redline248
AG
Shife said:

Not sure if it has ever been said, probably has but here it goes again: the sith names are 1000000% cringey.

Vader
Sidious
Maul
tyrannus

Is this before or after Darth was a title and not a name?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ADMIRAL ACKBAR CRASHES THE ELITE EIGHT

Even Darth Vader could not repel firepower of this magnitude. Everyone's favorite Mon Cal bucked the odds and delivered the only quote from Return of the Jedi to make the Elite 8 of Never Quote Me The Odds with a 52.3%-47.7% upset win over a quote many thought could win the whole shebang, Vader's "The Force is With You Young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet." from ESB.

In advancing to the finals of the Brian Earl Spilner bracket, the good admiral must face Darth Vader again and his top-ranked quote - "No, I am Your Father".

The Muckraker96 regional final pits Vader against Yoda, the TCTTS region matches Obi-Wan Kenobi against Princess Leia, and the UrbanAg region is a tag team of Han & Leia vs. another Obi-Wan contestant.

Sweet 16 Results

Muckraker96 Region

#1 "You've failed your Highness. I am a Jedi. Like my father before me." 41.9%
#4 "I find your lack of faith disturbing." 58.1%

#2 "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." 73.3%
#6 "Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" 26.7%

Brian Earl Spilner Region

#1 " No, I am your father." 77.8%
#4 "Mos Eisley spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." 22.2%

#2 "The Force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet." 47.7%
#3 " It's a trap!" Admiral Ackbar, ROTJ 52.3%

TCTTS Region

#1 " Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." 88.9%
#4 "That's no moon, it's a space station." 11.1%

#2 "The Force will be with you, always." 71.1%
#6 "Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking, nerf-herder!" 29.6%

UrbanAg Bracket

#1 "I love you. / I know." 86.7%
#5 "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering" 13.3%

#2 "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." 62.2%
#3 "Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?" 37.8%

Elite 8 Breakdown:
4 quotes from ANH
3 quotes from ESB
1 quote from ROTJ

2 from Obi-Wan
2 from Vader
2 from Leia (with a Han assist)
1 from Han (with a Leia assist)
1 from Yoda
1 from Ackbar
double aught
AG
Quote:

#1 "You've failed your Highness. I am a Jedi. Like my father before me." 41.9%
Bros. This is the best moment in the entire series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That gif. Admiral Assbar.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ELITE 8 MATCHUPS
VOTE HERE NOW

Muckraker96 Regional Final

#2 "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." Yoda, ESB

vs.

#4 "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader, ANH

Brian Earl Spilner Regional Final

#1 " No, I am your father." Darth Vader, ESB

vs.

#3 " It's a trap!" Admiral Ackbar, ROTJ

TCTTS Regional Final

#1 " Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." Princess Leia, ANH

vs.

#2 "The Force will be with you, always." Obi-Wan Kenobi, ANH

UrbanAg Bracket

#1 "I love you. / I know." Princess Leia / Han Solo, ESB

vs.

#2 "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Obi-Wan Kenobi, ANH
YouBet
AG
Ironically, I'm watching ROTJ on Disney. Two things:

1. Lucas was a dumbass with these redos. Boba Fett nod of respect to Leia Bounty Hunter is shown twice. First time during random horseh^t musical number and then again for its original purpose.

2. Carrie taking off her bounty hunter helmet is underrated moment in movies and damn beautiful when she does.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

ELITE 8 MATCHUPS
VOTE HERE NOW

Muckraker96 Regional Final

vs.

#4 "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader, ANH

Brian Earl Spilner Regional Final

vs.

#3 " It's a trap!" Admiral Ackbar, ROTJ

TCTTS Regional Final

vs.

#2 "The Force will be with you, always." Obi-Wan Kenobi, ANH

UrbanAg Bracket

vs.

#2 "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Obi-Wan Kenobi, ANH

Bump for the people who weren't up at 1230 on a Friday night during a lockdown

ELITE 8 MATCHUPS

VOTE HERE NOW
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In the first 12 hours of competition, it's a full-on Revenge of the Sith for Vader vs. Ackbar.
dave94
AG
YouBet said:

2. Carrie taking off her bounty hunter helmet is underrated moment in movies and damn beautiful when she does.

The musical cue when she does that is just perfection.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
That moment is one of me and my friends' favorites for "what would have been a funnier line here."

Han: "Who are you?"
Leia: "Someone who loves you! (kisses him passionately)
Han; Chewie?
FNG
Voted
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Elite 8

MUCKRAKER96 REGION

Vs.

BRIAN EARL SPILNER REGION

Vs.

TCTTS REGION

Vs.

URBANAG REGION

Vs.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Elite 8

MUCKRAKER96 REGION

Vs.

BRIAN EARL SPILNER REGION

Vs.

TCTTS REGION

Vs.

URBANAG REGION

Vs.

You're like my wife asking if I want her to take a turn driving us home from Disney World when we stop for gas in Baytown on our way home to Houston after i've been driving since we left the resort.
FNG
YouBet
AG
How appropriate is it to have "No, I am your father" and "It's a Trap" going head to head. Perfect!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This one was a lot easier to vote for, thankfully.
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

If you buy a copy of the 27-disc complete saga, you get a letter like this from Mark.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
THE FINAL FOUR QUOTES: A PRINCESS, HER DAD, HER BOYFRIEND, AND A MUPPET

It's a family affair in the Never Quote Me the Odds Final Four

Princess Leia took a double win on Saturday, defeating Obi-Wan Kenobi to win the TCTTS Region and combining with natural leader / baby daddy Han Solo to take out the wizard who some believe to be just a crazy old man to win the UrbanAg Bracket.

That means a showdown of #1 seeds in one semifinal, which proves that I know my Star Wars **** pretty damn good. The other semifinal will match the two highest midichlorian counts this side of the Stark Hyperspace War as Yoda, champion of the Muckraker96 Region and a #2 seed takes on #1 seed Darth Vader straight outta the Spilner Region. Three of the Final Four quotes from The Empire Strikes Back, generally accepted as the best movie. Coincidence? No pienso.

The Elite 8 Results

#2 "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." 67.3%
#4 "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader, ANH 32.7%

#1 " No, I am your father." 71.4%
#3 It's a trap!" 28.6%

#1 " Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." 61.2%
#2 "The Force will be with you, always." 38.8%

#1 "I love you. / I know." 75.5%
#2 "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." 24.5%

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
NEVER QUOTE ME THE ODDS FINAL FOUR MATCHUPS
VOTE NOW!

You sat in the theater watching Luke Skywalker look as if he were about to succumb to the frigid conditions on Hoth. Was the hero of Star Wars about to die in the first 15 minutes of the sequel? But then Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared with a message and a mission and our collective hearts soared. Another Jedi??? Another Jedi was alive? And not just any Jedi, but a teacher, the same one who had taught Obi-Wan, our only link to the mystical powers that Luke Skywalker was slowly learning and the lightsaber he was now in command of. But what we found in that Dagobah swamp was anything but what we expected. Obi-Wan had been patient, kind, and grandfatherly. Yoda was gruff, a little bitter, and looked like he belonged in the cantina, not teaching the ways of the Force. And when Luke watched his X-Wing sink below the murky waters, we flinched with Luke as Yoda leveled him with a reprimand that was counter-intuitive to everything we kids of the 1970s had learned. We were going to fail but it counted if we tried, right? Wrong, Yoda said. Do. Or do not. There is no try. Luke failed that day, and Yoda let him know it. Then he took up the unspoken challenge from his gifted pupil and created what might be the signature moment of what The Force truly is the power to do the impossible, set to a sweeping musical cue and 1979-era special effects that captured our collective imagination way beyond what any CGI artist could ever dream of.

I was six when I saw the Empire Strikes Back, and my brother, my best friend, and I were locked into one core belief after leaving the theater: Darth Vader had lied to Luke. There was no way this weirdo was Luke's father! C'mon, just because we saw his scarred human head for a few seconds earlier in the movie didn't mean he was really a man who had a wife and kids at some point in his life! Besides, Obi-Wan let us know that it was Vader who KILLED Luke's father. Luke's father was a Jedi Knight for god's sake! He was good, he and Obi-Wan for friends! Obi-Wan wouldn't lie, he was way above that. And yet if it wasn't true, what did Vader have to gain from saying it? He was either supposed to take Luke to the Emperor or kill him, and he could have killed him like 10 times already. Did he really want to overthrow the Emperor with Luke's help? What if something terrible had happened to Luke's dad and he turned to evil? What if Luke ended up doing the same?

One minute our newest best friend in the world R2D2 is squabbling with C3PO like an old married couple, the next minute he's taking something from a vision in white, a Princess so brave that minutes later we see her throw down the insults with Darth Vader like she was talking trash to a high school rival. The droids eventually wind up with Luke, who dreams of adventure the way most of us dream of A&M winning the SEC title it would be great, but it definitely doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. Suddenly, a fluke chance of fate and a hologram appears; Luke is transfixed by this brave beauty in peril and Obi-Wan Kenobi? Where has he heard that name before? Destiny takes our hero to the Jundland Wastes and an encounter with a crazy old hermit who deftly rigs R2 to play the entire message: General Kenobi? Wait, GENERAL? The Clone Wars? Those words were heard on-screen in 1977. The biggest fans of us tried to solve that mystery for the next 25 years until 2002 when General Kenobi appeared in Attack of the Clones. We pined for any detail of the story behind the story, and it all started with a Princess

The Force, the Jedi, and the Sith are all most people think of when you start talking Star Wars. But the love between a Princess and a smuggler is what made it so much more real. Yes, the Princess ended up a Jedi and the smuggler became the father to another, but in their journey from ANH to ROTJ, they humanized the events of a galaxy far far away for the rest of us. It gave hope to all of us guys that our sarcasm and desire to wear cool jackets, drive fast cars, and live just slightly outside the law could still attract the most beautiful girl we've ever seen. For the ladies lay the understated hope that a good cause could be enough to transform that super hot bad boy into someone who would lay down his life for you, even if it meant leaving his old life behind for good. At the point in the movie where this famous-beyond-words bit of back and forth occurs, we are mere moments away from the Luke/Vader showdown that every fanboy had dreamed of since first seeing Star Wars on the big screen. And then it was forgotten, because of Harrison Ford's amazing ability to ad lib and Irvin Kershner's ability to recognize emotionally-powerful dialogue when it was laid out for him. So amazing that when it was reused and slightly modified into a scene between Han Solo and his son, it was the most powerful emotional moment of a movie filmed 39 years later.
FNG
Voted
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Pour one out for "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
First Page Last Page
Page 926 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.