Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,658 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Pour one out for "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
You find our lack of lack of faith disturbing
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

You know how I know this is true?

SW marathon going today. Rainy. Lockdown. I just turned on several tv's around the house. I had at least two SW movies going on this afternoon/evening. I paused and watched some of ESB, AOTC, and ROTS. During dinner, ROTS was on the screen in the living room and we kept looking back at it and commenting, joking, etc. Distraction is good sometimes. SW is family. It's a big part of mine. Wife and I were out for a walk this evening and she made the comment that she was really glad we got to get the boys to Galaxy's End back in Feb before all this bullsh** dropped in to our lives. Agreed.

George Lucas. One magnificent basturd he is.
OnlyForNow
AG
There's probably going tot need to be a recount.

You accidentally switched the Bader and Yoda voting buttons, they don't correspond with the respective quote.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
OnlyForNow said:

There's probably going tot need to be a recount.

You accidentally switched the Bader and Yoda voting buttons, they don't correspond with the respective quote.
I'm pretty sure you don't know how Google Forms works.

If you clicked Yoda, you voted for Yoda.
If you clicked Vader, you voted for Vader.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Bump for the morning crowd. It's been live since 11:30 p.m. and ALL FOUR ENTRIES have the exact same number of votes.

NEVER QUOTE ME THE ODDS FINAL FOUR MATCHUPS
VOTE NOW!

#2 "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." Yoda, ESB
You sat in the theater watching Luke Skywalker look as if he were about to succumb to the frigid conditions on Hoth. Was the hero of Star Wars about to die in the first 15 minutes of the sequel? But then Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared with a message and a mission and our collective hearts soared. Another Jedi??? Another Jedi was alive? And not just any Jedi, but a teacher, the same one who had taught Obi-Wan, our only link to the mystical powers that Luke Skywalker was slowly learning and the lightsaber he was now in command of. But what we found in that Dagobah swamp was anything but what we expected. Obi-Wan had been patient, kind, and grandfatherly. Yoda was gruff, a little bitter, and looked like he belonged in the cantina, not teaching the ways of the Force. And when Luke watched his X-Wing sink below the murky waters, we flinched with Luke as Yoda leveled him with a reprimand that was counter-intuitive to everything we kids of the 1970s had learned. We were going to fail but it counted if we tried, right? Wrong, Yoda said. Do. Or do not. There is no try. Luke failed that day, and Yoda let him know it. Then he took up the unspoken challenge from his gifted pupil and created what might be the signature moment of what The Force truly is the power to do the impossible, set to a sweeping musical cue and 1979-era special effects that captured our collective imagination way beyond what any CGI artist could ever dream of.

#1 " No, I am your father." Darth Vader, ESB
I was six when I saw the Empire Strikes Back, and my brother, my best friend, and I were locked into one core belief after leaving the theater: Darth Vader had lied to Luke. There was no way this weirdo was Luke's father! C'mon, just because we saw his scarred human head for a few seconds earlier in the movie didn't mean he was really a man who had a wife and kids at some point in his life! Besides, Obi-Wan let us know that it was Vader who KILLED Luke's father. Luke's father was a Jedi Knight for god's sake! He was good, he and Obi-Wan for friends! Obi-Wan wouldn't lie, he was way above that. And yet if it wasn't true, what did Vader have to gain from saying it? He was either supposed to take Luke to the Emperor or kill him, and he could have killed him like 10 times already. Did he really want to overthrow the Emperor with Luke's help? What if something terrible had happened to Luke's dad and he turned to evil? What if Luke ended up doing the same?

#1 " Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." Princess Leia, ANH
One minute our newest best friend in the world R2D2 is squabbling with C3PO like an old married couple, the next minute he's taking something from a vision in white, a Princess so brave that minutes later we see her throw down the insults with Darth Vader like she was talking trash to a high school rival. The droids eventually wind up with Luke, who dreams of adventure the way most of us dream of A&M winning the SEC title it would be great, but it definitely doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. Suddenly, a fluke chance of fate and a hologram appears; Luke is transfixed by this brave beauty in peril and Obi-Wan Kenobi? Where has he heard that name before? Destiny takes our hero to the Jundland Wastes and an encounter with a crazy old hermit who deftly rigs R2 to play the entire message: General Kenobi? Wait, GENERAL? The Clone Wars? Those words were heard on-screen in 1977. The biggest fans of us tried to solve that mystery for the next 25 years until 2002 when General Kenobi appeared in Attack of the Clones. We pined for any detail of the story behind the story, and it all started with a Princess

#1 "I love you. / I know." Princess Leia / Han Solo, ESB
The Force, the Jedi, and the Sith are all most people think of when you start talking Star Wars. But the love between a Princess and a smuggler is what made it so much more real. Yes, the Princess ended up a Jedi and the smuggler became the father to another, but in their journey from ANH to ROTJ, they humanized the events of a galaxy far far away for the rest of us. It gave hope to all of us guys that our sarcasm and desire to wear cool jackets, drive fast cars, and live just slightly outside the law could still attract the most beautiful girl we've ever seen. For the ladies lay the understated hope that a good cause could be enough to transform that super hot bad boy into someone who would lay down his life for you, even if it meant leaving his old life behind for good. At the point in the movie where this famous-beyond-words bit of back and forth occurs, we are mere moments away from the Luke/Vader showdown that every fanboy had dreamed of since first seeing Star Wars on the big screen. And then it was forgotten, because of Harrison Ford's amazing ability to ad lib and Irvin Kershner's ability to recognize emotionally-powerful dialogue when it was laid out for him. So amazing that when it was reused and slightly modified into a scene between Han Solo and his son, it was the most powerful emotional moment of a movie filmed 39 years later.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Urban Ag said:

SW marathon going today. Rainy. Lockdown. I just turned on several tv's around the house. I had at least two SW movies going on this afternoon/evening. I paused and watched some of ESB, AOTC, and ROTS. During dinner, ROTS was on the screen in the living room and we kept looking back at it and commenting, joking, etc. Distraction is good sometimes. SW is family. It's a big part of mine. Wife and I were out for a walk this evening and she made the comment that she was really glad we got to get the boys to Galaxy's End back in Feb before all this bullsh** dropped in to our lives. Agreed.

George Lucas. One magnificent basturd he is.
We had a similar experience - watched the second half of TROS with my girls early in the morning, then watched pieces of ESB, AOTC, and ROTS at night.

We were watching Peter Rabbit on another channel and flipping to Star Wars during the commercials. Got to the beginning duel of ROTS - which my super fan has seen a bit of but not the whole thing yet and had this interchange.

Twin A: Is this where Yoda fights the Emperor?
Muck: No, this is where Anakin kills Count Dooku.
Twin A: How does he do that?
Muck: He cuts his head off with two lightsabers at the same time, it's awesome.
Twin B: Oh, no!
Muckwife: Daddy's just teasing girls, that doesn't happen.
Muck: Uh, yes it does.
Muckwife: WHAT HOW CAN YOU LET THE WATCH STUFF LIKE THIS BLABH BLAH VIOLENCE BLAH INAPPROPRIATE!
Twin A: Mommy, it's just a movie, jeez. It's not real.

Time passes, Muckwife goes to use computer in office.

Twin A: Hey Daddy?
Muck: Yes?
Twin A: Did the actor who played Anakin really cut the other guy's head off?
JCRiley09
AG
Those write ups are fantastic. They really capture some Star Wars feels and put me is nostalgia overload which is needed these days.

I know it's been said a few times already, but thanks for putting these together Muck.
FNG
FNG
JCRiley09 said:

Those write ups are fantastic. They really capture some Star Wars feels and put me is nostalgia overload which is needed these days.

I know it's been said a few times already, but thanks for putting these together Muck.

A&M

I mean, amen.
Yoda
AG
"#1 " No, I am your father." Darth Vader, ESB vs, #2 "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." Yoda, ESB"

Voted for Vader, I did. Iconic moment, it was.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I didn't want to bring it up, but this threw me off too. This was the first time buttons were in a different order than their quotes.

That said, glad to hear they voted for the correct one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yoda said:

"#1 " No, I am your father." Darth Vader, ESB vs, #2 "No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." Yoda, ESB"

I think this was the first time I voted for my favorite, rather than the more iconic quote.

Listen, "I am your father" is maybe the most famous movie quote of all time.

But voted for Yoda, I did. That line is just incredible.

And as for the other bracket, "I know" should win that going away.
FNG
Yoda said:

Agreed.

Yoda is the better quote. I use it on my son all the time!

But that moment when Vader dropped that bomb was huge and shocked all of us sitting in the Lake Theater on a Wednesday night (just kidding, I had stayed up all night reading the book before the movie came out, then loaned it around the intermediate school where each reader pretty much did the same thing - we missed some homework and didn't study for tests or quizzes that week or two).

Lucas had a moment that would make Hitchcock smile.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And as for the other bracket, "I know" should win that going away.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I said should, not will.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Will, or will not. There is no should.
redline248
AG
Muck, that's a great story. I forget how old your kids are.

My oldest, 7 pictured left, is still only really into disney stuff. She'll watch a little Star Wars. Her brother, 5, looooooves Star Wars. He constantly asks me to watch the "Ewok Star Wars." Recently, he asked me if there was a Wookie Star Wars, and I told him there was a small Wookie battle in one of the movies. Which, of course, means he always asks to watch it. I may eventually let him watch just the battle on Kashyyyk, but there is no way I'm letting him watch that Anakin/Dooku scene, or much of anything else in that movie, yet.

redline248
AG
Here are some photos from Rise of Resistance

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I have twin girls who are 8. One is all about Star Wars and obsessed with Yoda. The other claims not to like it at all (mostly to spite her sister), but she likes Rey and Chewie and the droids and has a Porg shoulder rider she got from Galaxy's Edge last month with the very original name of Porgy.

My superfan has been Yoda for Halloween and has 3 different plush Yodas, including one who she says is Yoda's dad, and calls him "Mr. Green." She also makes up stories about Yoda's little sister and his two best friends from school, Yoda Jack and Yoda Steve, and usually grills me about what Yoda did at school when I pick her up from school. She's seen all of TPM, AOTC, ANH and the sequels. I've taken her to see The Last Jedi, Solo, and TROS in the theater, and she brought her favorite Yoda to the theater for all three. I don't feel she's ready for some of the intensity of Rogue One or Revenge of the Sith yet. Obviously she about flipped her lid when Baby Yoda showed up on Mando. All 4 of us watched the whole season and even my wife really liked it. Little does my daughter know but we got her a talking Yoda mask for Easter. I literally cannot wait for her to see it.

We've been to Galaxy's Edge in LA last summer and in Orlando the week before corona. SHe's a more spoiled STar Wars fan than I was at age 8, and that's say something considering how many ships and action figures I had!

Slightly off topic, on the show Buddy vs. Duff on Food Network which airs Sunday nights, they've been plugging a Star Wars cake challenge later this season. It's not on tonight, but maybe next week. They both have to design a ship that's a cake, and one of them appears to do a Falcon which somehow lifts off the ground. It was probably in conjunction with the release of TROS since the show is taped.

EDIT: The Buddy vs. Duff Star Wars episode is the season finale, airing on May 3 and is at Galaxy's Edge (not sure which one) with Billy Dee Williams as the guest judge.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
8-ish hours to go.

Vader leads Yoda by 2 votes

Leia leads Leia by 4 votes
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Spoilers!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YODA TAKES ON HAN & LEIA FOR THE TITLE

The Jedi Grand Master has to take on a pair of star-crossed lovers for the title of the Never Quote Me The Odds Bracket.

Yoda is one step away from proving he can finish what he beings thanks to a 55%-45% victory over Lil Orphan Ani. He'll take on Han Solo & Princess Leia, who double-teamed the other Princess Leia 51.9%-48.1% in a far closer competition.

No need for a second post, LET'S GET IT ON!

#2 Do, or do not. There is no try.

#1 I love you. I know.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yoda pulled it out!

Well ****. Now I'm in real trouble. Talk about a Sophie's choice. I may have to stew on this one for a night.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
24 votes in the first 45 minutes on a Sunday night, thank you horrifying global pandemic.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Morning BUMP!

YODA TAKES ON HAN & LEIA FOR THE TITLE

The Jedi Grand Master has to take on a pair of star-crossed lovers for the title of the Never Quote Me The Odds Bracket.

Yoda is one step away from proving he can finish what he begins thanks to a 55%-45% victory over Lil Orphan Ani. He'll take on Han Solo & Princess Leia, who double-teamed the other Princess Leia 51.9%-48.1% in a far closer competition.

No need for a second post, LET'S GET IT ON!

#2 Do, or do not. There is no try.

#1 I love you. I know.

Yoda
AG
Unlike the semifinals when we had to choose between Vader's most famous line and Yoda's eternal wisdom, I find the final presents no such conundrum.

Do, or do not. There is no try.
Quad Dog
AG
Controversial opinion time: but I've always hated that Yoda quote. Just feels like fake, cheap philosophy to me. I've hated when people would quote it to me while I was trying to do something but struggling. I'm actively trying over here, cut me some slack, I'm not to the point of doing anything yet.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well thanks for your contribution to the happy smile-time variety hour.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think Yodas advantage in this is that it's obviously a SW quote while the leia/Han quote could be from any movie with a love story plot, especially with a rapscallion like Han.

But I haven't voted because the Han/Leia quote is so great.
FNG
Quad Dog said:

Controversial opinion time: but I've always hated that Yoda quote. Just feels like fake, cheap philosophy to me. I've hated when people would quote it to me while I was trying to do something but struggling. I'm actively trying over here, cut me some slack, I'm not to the point of doing anything yet.

How many participation ribbons have you received, Focker?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I voted for Han last night. Today, I'm still worried I made the wrong choice. This is like a 51/49 type of choice for me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Going to try and start the worst quotes tomorrow. I'm basically going to be awake the next 5 days writing a book so I'm going to need some respites.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I leaned on Yoda's quote to get through a couple of tougher classes while I was a student at A&M. Not surprised his quote took out Darth Vader's most famous quote.
FNG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I leaned on Yoda's quote to get through a couple of tougher classes while I was a student at A&M. Not surprised his quote took out Darth Vader's most famous quote.

Did you also see ESB at the Lake Theater??
First Page Last Page
Page 927 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.