Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,941 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

C@LAg said:

I really, really do not want that man to have a hand in any further Star Wars.

But I am surprised as anyone else that I am not a full time hater of him.

I am really really excited for "Knives Out".

Last year at this time I was dead set on never seeing anything from him ever again.
20+ years ago, Joel Schumacher ruined Batman.

But his work outside of that franchise was/is good. The Lost Boys, Falling Down, Flatliners, A Time to Kill, Phone Booth.....all great. But people forget all that and just remember the Bat Nipples. When discussing comic book movies, the mere mention of his name draws groans.

Same is happening now.

Personally, I can't wait for "Knives Out."
Good point.

Bat nipples.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

C@LAg said:

I really, really do not want that man to have a hand in any further Star Wars.

But I am surprised as anyone else that I am not a full time hater of him.

I am really really excited for "Knives Out".

Last year at this time I was dead set on never seeing anything from him ever again.
20+ years ago, Joel Schumacher ruined Batman.

But his work outside of that franchise was/is good. The Lost Boys, Falling Down, Flatliners, A Time to Kill, Phone Booth.....all great. But people forget all that and just remember the Bat Nipples. When discussing comic book movies, the mere mention of his name draws groans.

Same is happening now.

Personally, I can't wait for "Knives Out."

the difference is WB didn't give Schumacher a new Batman trilogy.

Schumacher, and maybe Rian, may be good at one off stories where a multi-movie story arc isn't a consideration.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Are we actually at the point where we're comparing The Last Jedi to Batman Forever / & Robin?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lol, just reposted myself. I'm losing it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Its gotta be the yt-1300 light freighter, chicks dig the freighter!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is why Luke Skywalker works alone.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Are we actually at the point where we're comparing The Last Jedi to Batman Forever / & Robin?
THANK YOU!

Look, you can hate TLJ, but its far and away a better movie than Batman Forever or Batman & Robin.....the comparison is laughable, and it just goes to show how much people have drunk the cool-aid of TLJ hate. You may not like the way the story goes, or the way it portrays its characters, but it doesn't or shouldn't make you question whether stories in the Star Wars universe will work in the future, or whether they are worth telling, or make such a campy joke out of the main characters that they could possibly be irredeemable in the public eye for a long time (as was the case with Batman).

TLJ is a well-made film that just doesn't work for most die-hard Star Wars fans. Its not a "bad movie".
Flashdiaz
AG
it's a bad middle movie in a trilogy. It completely undid many of the setups in the first movie and it left little to work with in the third movie without having to undo what was done in the second movie.

it's ok to not like TLJ as a movie. Not everyone that doesn't like it is falling into the hate... some have opinions that are not like yours. I can see how some may like the movie. I do not.
Fenrir
I'm not sure that calling it well made is any more accurate than comparisons to Schumacher Batman movies. I guess ILM did a pretty damn good job just not sure what other aspect could be considered well made.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hayden at Galaxy's Edge

Flashdiaz
AG
i'd be cautious with him with a saber around small children.
Urban Ag
AG
veryfuller said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

THANK YOU!

Look, you can hate TLJ, but its far and away a better movie than Batman Forever or Batman & Robin.....the comparison is laughable, and it just goes to show how much people have drunk the cool-aid of TLJ hate. You may not like the way the story goes, or the way it portrays its characters, but it doesn't or shouldn't make you question whether stories in the Star Wars universe will work in the future, or whether they are worth telling, or make such a campy joke out of the main characters that they could possibly be irredeemable in the public eye for a long time (as was the case with Batman).

TLJ is a well-made film that just doesn't work for most die-hard Star Wars fans. Its not a "bad movie".
Agree and disagree. To compare it to garbage like Batman Forever is silly (I'm not even sure I saw Batman Forever to be honest, but I know it's that bad). Agree that TLJ is a well made film. But it's a bad movie.

Put another way, let me loosely quote a poster on this forum from a few years ago.

Prometheus is the most visually amazing and beautifully filmed complete piece of **** I have ever seen

or something close to that
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hayden at Galaxy's Edge

As I have said before, I would so love to get drunk with Hayden and Lucas and make fun of the "you ruined my childhood" crowd. Just sit there for hours at the Indiana Jones beer stand outside Star Tours at Hollywood studios and heckle fat middle age nerds. It would be glorious.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I am not arguing that people have to like the movie. I am arguing that its silly (and buying into the hate) to compare it to truly terrible movies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Although I don't use social media, Hayden appears to be a lot like Luke was after the OT was done.
Just kept on working on what he could find, not complaining about getting typecast, and willing to give back to the franchise that made him a millionaire and a hero to millions of kids.

Hoping he has a little cameo in TROS if it makes sense. The older I get, the more I realize that with a great director to harness the potential of those young actors - HC, NP, JL - the prequels could have been a lot better, but I ain't got no time machine, so I just love them for what they are - Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well said.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
The Collective
AG
C@LAg said:

can at least have fun mocking Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. The Last Jedi is just all around a disappointment.

txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Hayden appears to be a lot like Luke was after the OT was done. Just kept on working on what he could find, not complaining about getting typecast...

I see you what you did there...
TCTTS
AG
Starting to get some clarity...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-star-wars-didnt-work-game-thrones-duo-1250798

Quote:

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Benioff and Weiss' exit has been brewing since August. Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy is said to have been unhappy with the Netflix deal the duo signed in August, just as they were scheduled to begin work on Star Wars. (Benioff and Weiss have said multiple times that they would not focus on Star Wars until they wrapped production on the final season of Game of Thrones, which ended in late July.)

Kennedy was not convinced the pair known for focusing on one project at a time could truly juggle a sci-fi trilogy while also overseeing film and TV projects at Netflix. Sources say that as the duo shopped for a new overall deal over the summer, they told potential suitors that they planned to juggle new projects and work on Star Wars at the same time.

Sources say Netflix learned of Benioff and Weiss' Star Wars departure mere days before news broke Monday.
Quote:

At the time of the Netflix pact, Benioff and Weiss were working on a treatment for Disney and Lucasfilm. The pair was committed to penning at least one of the films though the original deal was to write all three.

"They're deep dive guys," says one person in their orbit. Adding to the wrinkle was that, according to one source, the Netflix deal required them to be exclusively on the sets of the projects they created as required, and not be away for Star Wars at the same time.

Kennedy, according to a source familiar with her thinking, was nervous. The duo would become the fourth directors to exit a Star Wars project since she took the helm of Lucasfilm. Josh Trank was fired from a Star Wars standalone movie in 2015; Chris Miller and Phil Lord was canned from Solo: A Star Wars Story mid-production in June 2017 and, that same year, Colin Trevorrow departed Episode IX, replaced by J.J. Abrams. Production under Kennedy has also run into trouble, with Tony Gilroy brought in to reshoot and rewrite much of Gareth Edwards' 2016 standalone Rogue One, and Ron Howard stepping in after Lord and Miller's departure from Solo to finish the project.
Quote:

Meanwhile, Benioff and Weiss were also feeling the heat and began having second thoughts about jumping into Star Wars due to what one source described as "toxic fandom."

The creators had built Thrones from the ground up based on author George R.R. Martin's sprawling novels and were darlings, to Emmy voters and fans who drove the show to becoming HBO's most-watched original series. But the divisive six-episode final season that aired in the spring was met with such backlash that the duo backed out of a farewell panel at San Diego Comic-Con in the summer that was poised to be their forum to discuss how the series ended.

To go from Thrones to Star Wars, where fans have bullied actors off social media and taken aim at filmmakers like Johnson? "Who wants to go through that again? Not them," notes another source with knowledge of Benioff and Weiss' thinking. "This was in the 'Life's Too Short' category."

Whether forces internal or external were in play, Benioff and Weiss wanted out. "It was a hard quit," says an insider.
TCTTS
AG
Basically...

- Kennedy was just as surprised to hear about Benioff & Weiss' Netflix deal in August as anyone else.

- When Kennedy learned that their Netflix deal required them to be on set for even the shows they only produced, she got nervous, seeing as she didn't think there was any way B&W could juggle writing and directing a SW movie with all their various commitments. She was right.

- Still B&W thought they could pull it all off.

- A combination of Kennedy's trepidation, Benioff & Weiss ultimately realizing they were, in fact, going to be too busy, and them not wanting to endure yet another "toxic fandom" after the terrible GoT S8 reaction, led them to them stepping down, though it sounds like Kennedy gladly held the door open on their way out.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
What it all comes down to is...

- B&W understandably couldn't turn down a nine-figure Netflix deal, though they should have been clearer with both parties and/or not thought of themselves as supermen who could do all at once.

- Kennedy should have signed them to an exclusive SW deal, i.e. not let them make anything else until they at least completed the first movie in the trilogy. Granted, they might not have agreed to that, but if not, then don't sign them in the first place and go and find someone else.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This board's members could produce 50 ideas for star wars better than anything that was on the final season of thrones
TCTTS
AG
I honestly, genuinely believe that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Once KK steps down, I would pay good money for a tell-all book detailing her tenure at Lucasfilm. No sugar-coated PR bull*****
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Liquid Wrench
Probably alone in this, but I seriously wouldn't mind seeing an Ewok or two. Probably wouldn't fit in the grim do-or-die clash of all-powerful good and evil, though.
Dro07
AG
I think we see one for nostalgic purposes
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Give us a Vader movie between PT and OT, where he is hunting down the Jedi.

Fan service up the bunghole, don't care. Make him scary. Make him a murder machine like he is in Lords of the Sith.

Profit.
Ulrich
TCTTS said:

- Kennedy should have signed them to an exclusive SW deal, i.e. not let them make anything else until they at least completed the first movie in the trilogy. Granted, they might not have agreed to that, but if not, then don't sign them in the first place and go and find someone else.

Ding ding ding.

Quote:

Kennedy, according to a source familiar with her thinking, was nervous. The duo would become the fourth directors to exit a Star Wars project since she took the helm of Lucasfilm. Josh Trank was fired from a Star Wars standalone movie in 2015; Chris Miller and Phil Lord was canned from Solo: A Star Wars Story mid-production in June 2017 and, that same year, Colin Trevorrow departed Episode IX, replaced by J.J. Abrams. Production under Kennedy has also run into trouble, with Tony Gilroy brought in to reshoot and rewrite much of Gareth Edwards' 2016 standalone Rogue One, and Ron Howard stepping in after Lord and Miller's departure from Solo to finish the project.

All these things keep stringing together. Counting Ep IX, have been 5 movies so far. Trank, Miller/Lord, Trevorrow, and Edwards makes 4 directors canned (I don't care if Edwards name stayed on Rogue One) before D&B. The saga trilogy was poorly (not) planned. Two more trilogies announced; one director already let go*, the other controversial and with a slipping release date implying that it's a matter of time before he quietly moves on, too.

The only thing that has definitely gone right was JJ Abrams making a jillion dollars on TFA, and that wasn't exactly a crazy plan that only a genius could have devised.

*I don't know what terms are usually in directorial contracts, but every employment agreement I've signed has said that I can't work for anyone else at the same time. Sure seems like that oughtta be in a deal with a couple billion of revenue at stake. It was in the Netflix deal....
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Give us a Vader movie between PT and OT, where he is hunting down the Jedi.

Fan service up the bunghole, don't care. Make him scary. Make him a murder machine like he is in Lords of the Sith.

Profit.

Get it an R rating and it would rule. Similar to Logan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I find your lack of faith ****ing disturbing.
The Collective
AG
Toxic fandom is such a load of crap
First Page Last Page
Page 872 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.