Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,028 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

CJS4715 said:

I still contend Burning Homestead is the best scene in the films. It is the turning point for Luke.

Another quick preview of my big saga project, which I'll finally be posting next week...

The moment Luke realized he didn't turn the waffle iron off.
redline248
AG
Saying at at is like calling a moving internet picture a "jif"

Don't care what the creator of the format claims
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
1. ANH
2. ESB
3. ROTJ
4. TFA
5. RO
6. TLJ
7. Solo
8. TPM
9. ROTS
10. AOTC

Like TC, the Phantom Menace has grown on me over the years. It's the one prequel Lucas did without the weight of so much criticism. I love the soundtrack from start to finish, and LIam Neeson is a really steadying influence, he is wonderful and believable as Qui-Gon Jinn. AOTC and ROTS both hurt from not having an older actor guiding the action. Plus it benefits from being the true world builder of the prequels, I remember the days leading up to it and that first trailer and being in awe of everything - new worlds, new species, younger Yoda, younger Obi-Wan, you really would go frame by frame on the trailer just drinking in the details.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

Saying at at is like calling a moving internet picture a "jif"

Don't care what the creator of the format claims
We agree on AT-AT, but we disagree on gif.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
My rankings ...

The Empire Strikes Back (best ever made, period)
A New Hope
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace
Solo
Attack of the Clones
The Last Jedi
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

At least this much, we can all agree on. (Except Muck, seems like.)
twilly
AG
My take:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. The Return of the Jedi
5. Solo
6. The Revenge of the Sith
7: The Force Awakens
8: The Phantom Menace
9: The Last Jedi
10: Attack of the Clones
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The Collective
AG
Rey the White.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If she rides a white horse in the final battle, wielding a lightsaber... that would be epic.
The Collective
AG
Force stable boy is bringing her the lord of all space horses.
The Collective
AG
Also, don't tell me Poe isn't gay.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TROS needs more FinnPoe.

In fact, I think one will end up sacrificing himself for the other. The sacrifice that Rose ruined in TLJ.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

At least this much, we can all agree on. (Except Muck, seems like.)
My favorite character of all is Alec Guinness Obi-Wan. ANH is his movie. WIthout ANH< there is no ESB. I love the hell outta ESB, especially Dagobah and Bespin, but ANH is the reason all of us of a certain age are here on this message board today.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ewan McGregor is so perfect as a young Alec Guinness. By far the best casting done in the entire saga.
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ewan McGregor is so perfect as a young Alec Guinness. By far the best casting done in the entire saga.

Better than Ford as Solo?
Rex Racer
AG
TCTTS said:

I'll give you Order 66 (even though a couple of those montage shots are horribly staged/acted), Padme and Anakin looking at each other across the Coruscant skyline (that's a genuinely cool moment with poignant, eerie music), and Yoda vs. Palpatine (which is well-executed and equal parts exciting/harrowing).

But having them staring at a Death Star under construction 19 years before A New Hope is super dumb, considering it took like a year or less to build the second Death Star. And Luke being delivered to Tatooine is great in theory, but the CGI in that scene ruins it for me. It's soooo bad and it doesn't even look like they're walking on dirt, never mind all the other blatant green screen use in what is supposed to be the final, lasting shot of the prequel trilogy.
I have always justified this by saying that they began building the 2nd one about halfway through building the first one. I know they changed the design, but I don't think it was due to the first one being destroyed. I think some security consultant just realized the vulnerability, and they fixed it in the design of the 2nd one.
Flashdiaz
AG
According to a Disney press release, The Mandalorian episode air dates are as follows:
  • Episode 1 November 12
  • Episode 2 November 15
  • Episode 3 November 22
  • Episode 4 November 29
  • Episode 5 December 6
  • Episode 6 December 13
  • Episode 7 December 18
  • Episode 8 December 27

Disney+ goes live November 12
MGS
Cstrickland05 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Better than Ford as Solo?
Better than Alec Guinness as an old Alec Guinness?
redline248
AG
Rex Racer said:

TCTTS said:

I'll give you Order 66 (even though a couple of those montage shots are horribly staged/acted), Padme and Anakin looking at each other across the Coruscant skyline (that's a genuinely cool moment with poignant, eerie music), and Yoda vs. Palpatine (which is well-executed and equal parts exciting/harrowing).

But having them staring at a Death Star under construction 19 years before A New Hope is super dumb, considering it took like a year or less to build the second Death Star. And Luke being delivered to Tatooine is great in theory, but the CGI in that scene ruins it for me. It's soooo bad and it doesn't even look like they're walking on dirt, never mind all the other blatant green screen use in what is supposed to be the final, lasting shot of the prequel trilogy.
I have always justified this by saying that they began building the 2nd one about halfway through building the first one. I know they changed the design, but I don't think it was due to the first one being destroyed. I think some security consultant just realized the vulnerability, and they fixed it in the design of the 2nd one.

Weren't they still unaware of the flaw in R1, and even as late as the Battle of Yavin?
ja86
AG
Didn't they identify the flaw by analyzing the Rebel attack patterns? That is why it is suggested to Tarkin that he might want to jump ship.
MandoArms
redline248 said:

Rex Racer said:

TCTTS said:

Weren't they still unaware of the flaw in R1, and even as late as the Battle of Yavin?
So in the Rogue One prequel book (Rogue One Catalyst) they really dive into the delays on the Death Star that accord. Galen Erso really did everything in his power to delay the construction. They had the design of the station but could never get the weapon to fire properly.

He successfully delayed the project over 15 years. It sounds pretty far stretched but anyone who has worked on a military project knows that this happens all the time...trust me.
IG: mando_arms
MGS
...and it's reasonable to assume that the people who warned Tarkin about the vulnerability didn't survive the attack.
TCTTS
AG
Flashdiaz said:

According to a Disney press release, The Mandalorian episode air dates are as follows:
  • Episode 1 November 12
  • Episode 2 November 15
  • Episode 3 November 22
  • Episode 4 November 29
  • Episode 5 December 6
  • Episode 6 December 13
  • Episode 7 December 18
  • Episode 8 December 27

A Tuesday, six Fridays, and a Wednesday seems super random, but whatever...
The Collective
AG
The Wednesday before Episode IX premieres. Thank you, Santa.
TCTTS
AG
Duh. I didn't even realize that's the reason for the lone Wednesday episode. Good call.
TCTTS
AG
With Friday releases looking to be the norm for Disney - and also Netflix and Amazon so far - in a year or so, with the launch of all the other platforms, Fridays could get pretty nuts. It's going to be interesting to see the landscape change from weeknight air times to everything being dumped all at once on Fridays.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Its smart of Disney to post up there. Netflix and Amazon release whole seasons at once, which means it's easier to prioritize the single episode of a show over the whole show. I will be curious to see if they maintain a Friday schedule for all their shows, because that could start to conflict with their tentpole releases in theaters (example that they move to Wednesday for Star Wars theatrical release). HBO does Sundays, which I love and am assuming will remain even with HBO Max. Hulu does mid-week, which is annoying because they release at like 12am Wednesday mornings, so recaps are up before you can realistically have a chance to watch. I am curious to see Apples release plan.
Duncan Idaho
BrownCoat said:

redline248 said:

Rex Racer said:

TCTTS said:

So in the Rogue One prequel book (Rogue One Catalyst) they really dive into the delays on the Death Star that accord. Galen Erso really did everything in his power to delay the construction. They had the design of the station but could never get the weapon to fire properly.

He successfully delayed the project over 15 years. It sounds pretty far stretched but anyone who has worked on a military project knows that this happens all the time...trust me.

Based on the quality and quantity of posts from defense contractors on this board I have zero problem accepting 15 year project overruns.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Considering Palpatine is a dictator, and we all know dictators love themselves some purges. Perhaps his contractors ticked him off, and then the next group ticked him off, and so on ...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Currently listening to the ROTS score on Spotify.

Man, this music is just so good. Very operatic, tragic, Shakespearean.

Independent of the movie itself, this is just great music.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Episode 1 November 12
Episode 2 November 15
Episode 3 November 22
Episode 4 November 29
Episode 5 December 6
Episode 6 December 13
Episode 7 December 18
Episode 8 December 27

Quote:

A Tuesday, six Fridays, and a Wednesday seems super random, but whatever...

Not as random as it looks. They have the premier on launch date, have episode 2 that Friday and then release every Friday, and release episode 7 two days earlier than normal so as not to conflict with Rise of Skywalker, which releases on December 20th.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I got that. Check our posts above.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow. During Padme's Ruminations, there's the tiniest hint of Across the Stars in there for about 5 seconds. I never noticed it before.
Rex Racer
AG
Looks like my wife and I will be binge-watching the Mandalorian over Christmas break!
First Page Last Page
Page 862 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.