Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,199 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS
AG
I think we're all going delirious waiting for this saga to end.
Saul Goodman
AG
I love the variety in the lists so far, here's mine:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Last Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Rogue One
7. Solo
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Riling you up is just a bonus.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be fair, this is the best scene in the entire saga.

And yes, ANH is iconic from beginning to end.

And the assault on the Death Star is one of the best film climaxes all time.
Sex Panther
AG
I know the Ewoks are cheesy as hell and it's definitely the worst of the originals... but the OT is above all others easy. There is simply a magic to the originals that can't be recreated. Young Luke, Han Solo and Vader beat everything else no contest, including Rogue One. Even though I can admit that Rogue One is objectively a better movie, it just cant win against an original Star Wars film.

And the Last Jedi is just horrendous. I hate it. I'll never watch that movie again. I know it's been beat to death on this thread, but it was just utter garbage. There was nothing redeeming in that movie, even though hard core fans have tried their hardest to convince themselves there was.

I'll give you The Force Awakens. That was at least fun and had Han Solo.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Saul Goodman
AG
It's kind of amazing when you think about how many misses are in the Star Wars franchise, and yet it is still the dominant force that it is. I don't think Marvel would be near as resilient if it started crapping the bed with its movies.

I give Star Wars a pass that I don't give any other movie I watch - nostalgia and emotional connections are a hell of a drug...and I love that I have that with this franchise.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think what puts ROTS a hair over ANH for me is the second act.

I think ANH does stall a bit with all the time spent on the Death Star, until Vader and Obi-Wan finally meet.

On the other hand, with ROTS, it's jam-packed with Mace vs Palpatine, Order 66, Obi-Wan vs Grievous, etc.

It never lets up. And then the Mustafar duel, intercut with Yoda vs Palpatine, is just awesome. (And John Williams is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.)

And that final scene with Obi-Wan handing over Luke, and Owen looking out at the binary sunset... it's pitch perfect.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

I know the Ewoks are cheesy as hell and it's definitely the worst of the originals... but the OT is above all others easy. There is simply a magic to the originals that can't be recreated. Young Luke, Han Solo and Vader beat everything else no contest, including Rogue One. Even though I can admit that Rogue One is objectively a better movie, it just cant win against an original Star Wars film.

And the Last Jedi is just horrendous. I hate it. I'll never watch that movie again. I know it's been beat to death on this thread, but it was just utter garbage. There was nothing redeeming in that movie, even though hard core fans have tried their hardest to convince themselves there was.

I'll give you The Force Awakens. That was at least fun and had Han Solo.

I think you hit on a good point in saying that Rogue One is objectively a better movie. It's hard to define and make these rankings in that regard because while I like ROTJ more than TLJ, I think TLJ is technically a more competent movie, despite everything I can't stand about it (TLJ). So I guess I'm saying there's probably a difference between which movies I like the most and which movies I consider better than others, and it's hard to sort between the two.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, what if Lucasfilm paid you to be in charge of the remake?
I would not remake the films for $10 billion. If they let me write something original, or let me make the original KOTOR or the Heir to the Empire trilogy, I would do it for free and sleep on the floor on a rug made of skinned Ewoks.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, fair enough.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
C@LAg said:

ROTS OVER ANH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I saw that and took Brian out of my will for my 1978 R2-D2.
TCTTS
AG
Personally, I think far more movies in the saga have glaring problems than the ones that don't. A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are the only two I'd keep basically the same. But now that we have most of the story told (including the prequels and sequels), I think the rest of it could be told so much more effectively. In that regard, it feels like something that will be ripe for remaking in 25 years or so, if not sooner.
The Collective
AG
I still contend Burning Homestead is the best scene in the films. It is the turning point for Luke.
TXAG 05
AG
TCTTS said:

I've NEVER bought into the idea that ROTS is somehow a competent entry in the franchise. And upon my recent watch, it was ever worse than I remember. I guess people think it's "good" (or the best of the prequels, rather) because it's the darkest of the bunch, has Anakin finally breaking bad, fighting with Obi-Wan, etc, but IMO, it's truly unbearable. The opening sequence is terrible, the love story/break up is terrible, the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight is a ridiculous CGI mess, and everything in between is horribly acted, written, and directed. It's such a flat movie that plays like it was written by a "broody" 13-year-old.

Solo, on the other hand is a fun-as-hell adventure with a fantastic, clever ending. It just looks amazing as well. I love every second of that movie.

This. I always had ROTS as the tallest of the prequel midgets, but on a rewatch a couple months ago, I agree that it is just terrible, and I hate to say it but TPM might be the better movie, even though TPM is the greatest theatrical disappointment of my life.

ROTS has so much potential, plus finally showing what we had been waiting for our whole lives, seeing Anakin become Vader, and they just blew it.

Still don't get the hate people have for Solo.

1. ANH and ESB interchangeable at the top, depending on mood
3. ROTJ
4.RO
5. Solo
6.TFA
7. TLJ
8. TPM
9. ROTS
10. AOTC
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think what puts ROTS a hair over ANH for me is the second act.

I think ANH does stall a bit with all the time spent on the Death Star, until Vader and Obi-Wan finally meet.

On the other hand, with ROTS, it's jam-packed with Mace vs Palpatine, Order 66, Obi-Wan vs Grievous, etc.

It never lets up. And then the Mustafar duel, intercut with Yoda vs Palpatine, is just awesome. (And John Williams is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.)

And that final scene with Obi-Wan handing over Luke, and Owen looking out at the binary sunset... it's pitch perfect.
I know a lot of it is the age you saw it at and I can't fault you for that, but the second-act dialogue is really weak in ROTS after Palpatine makes his big reveal. And a lot of the logic goes down the river with it. Why wouldn't Mace bring 20 Jedi with him to arrest Palpatine? Or tell the Senate what's going on on their way to arrest him? Why don't Yoda and Obi-Wan take out Palpatine together, they are literally like 3 miles from him together while Anakin is in the Outer Rim. How does Grievous not seen the billions of clones and warships descending on his position?

The worst for me is the Anakin-Obi-wan duel. Obi-Wan should have been talking to him the whole time, only fighting when he absolutely had to. They barely speak at all. And those damn ropes. You're going to swing on a rope, my former Master? THEN I WILL ALSO SWING ON A ROPE AND CONTINUE TO FIGHT YOU WHILE SWINGING ON MY OWN ROPE.
TCTTS
AG
Well said, and I dig your rankings. And yeah, TPM is the best of the prequels for me. As bad as it is, it's the only one that looks and feels like a real movie.
Sex Panther
AG
Revenge of the Sith is horrible. It has literally one cool scene which is Vader rising on the table at the end. Which would've been virtually impossible to screw up, even though they tried their hardest with everything Hayden Christensen did and said throughout two movies
TCTTS
AG
CJS4715 said:

I still contend Burning Homestead is the best scene in the films. It is the turning point for Luke.

Another quick preview of my big saga project, which I'll finally be posting next week...

TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

Revenge of the Sith is horrible. It has literally one cool scene which is Vader rising on the table at the end. Which would've been virtually impossible to screw up, even though they tried their hardest with everything Hayden Christensen did and said throughout two movies

I'd contend they even screwed that scene up with his terrible "Noooooooooo!"
Saul Goodman
AG
TCTTS said:

Sex Panther said:

Probably the thing I hate the most in that movie. Just awful.
JCRiley09
AG
ESB
ANH
RO
TFA
RotJ
Solo
RotS
AotC
TPM

I've also been thinking about watch order recently. Do we want to re-engage that conversation? I have a very young son and I'm actually considering watching rogue one before ep iv in a few years. I feel like it sets up a lot of mystery about the Jedi and the force that creates some anticipation leading into the original trilogy.
RO>ANH>ESB>AotC>RotS>RotJ>Solo>duel of the fates
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
Good question, and I think I'd actually start with Rogue One as well for the reason you mention, but also because it might engage a younger audience's attention just a bit more than if you kicked everything off with a movie from 1977.

I think I'd go...

Rogue One
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back

On that cliffhanger, I'd go back and set everything up with...

The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

Then finish off the first seven movies with...

Return of the Jedi

Then I'd go...

The Mandalorian
The Force Awakens

... but after Han dies, I'd go back and "honor" him with...

Solo

Then...

The Last Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Sex Panther said:

Jesus Christ... I had completely forgotten about this. Ugh
TCTTS
AG
It'll also be so incredibly cool when we can throw in the Obi-Wan series after Revenge of the Sith.
TCTTS
AG
I wonder how much Luke's "father" will be mentioned in the Obi-Wan series, or how much a young Luke will be involved at all. Because if the mystery/surprise is kept intact, you could potentially start the whole thing with the Obi-Wan series eventually. Could be a pretty cool way in, then go to Rogue One after that.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cool scenes in ROTS:
- Space battle over Coruscant
- Order 66
- Padme and Anakin looking at each other across the Coruscant skyline (And Padme's Ruminations playing)
- Yoda smashing the royal guards into the wall
- Vader, Palpatine, Tarkin on the Star Destroyer with the Death Star under construction
- Leia delivered to Alderaan, Luke delivered to Tatooine, Binary Sunset and cut to credits
Ag Since 83
AG
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. RO
4. ROTJ
5. Solo
6.. TFA
7. TLJ
8. ROTS
9. AOTC
10. TPM
TCTTS
AG
I'll give you Order 66 (even though a couple of those montage shots are horribly staged/acted), Padme and Anakin looking at each other across the Coruscant skyline (that's a genuinely cool moment with poignant, eerie music), and Yoda vs. Palpatine (which is well-executed and equal parts exciting/harrowing).

But having them staring at a Death Star under construction 19 years before A New Hope is super dumb, considering it took like a year or less to build the second Death Star. And Luke being delivered to Tatooine is great in theory, but the CGI in that scene ruins it for me. It's soooo bad and it doesn't even look like they're walking on dirt, never mind all the other blatant green screen use in what is supposed to be the final, lasting shot of the prequel trilogy.
JCRiley09
AG
This is a winning lineup for sure.

(I didn't intentionally leave of TLJ from my list. Oops. It's between Solo and revenge of the sith.)
First Page Last Page
Page 861 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.