Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,364 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

I might very well be (way off). I'm just trying to understand the motivation and context, that's all.
I have never been to Disneyland, but I have been to Disney World 4 times (once as a kid, once as a single, childless adult traveling with extended family including a 6-yr-old, and then twice with my own family). We are going again in November, again with my own kids.

If given the opportunity, the wife and I would go by ourselves. Such a trip wouldn't be anything like the one we have coming up; instead of 7 days, we'd probably stay only a couple of days, three at the most. We probably wouldn't ride something like Voyage of the Little Mermaid, but we'd certainly get on Splash Mountain. Actually, this upcoming trip will likely be a good preview of how a childless trip could go, as our kids are 12th and 8th grade and I expect that they will do a lot on their own.

I truly enjoy the experience. One of my favorite classic Disney movies is Peter Pan. The ride at WDW really captures the world of PP, and riding that just puts a pleasant smile on my face. It is about going back to things of childhood, of recapturing an innocence that adulthood takes from you. And unlike most other such parks, Disney really immerses you in the experience. When you ride Splash Mountain, you really are in the briar patch with Brer Rabbit and company. When you get on the Peter Pan ride, you really are flying over London on your way to Never Never Land. I expect the same kind of fully immersive experience in Galaxy's Edge.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, and good to know. One of these days I'll find out for myself.
Urban Ag
AG
Also, they serve alcohol everywhere except Magic Kingdom.

It helps.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Actually, they do serve booze at MK. Had wine and beer at the Italian place near the entrance.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For childless adults, WDW is absolutely the way to go.

Epcot is great for the world pavilions, where you can try global cuisines and drinks.

Hollywood Studios has some pretty awesome rides like Aerosmith's Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. (And soon Galaxy's Edge.)

Animal Kingdom has Pandora, which has the best ride I've ever been on, ever. (Until Rise of the Resistance opens, from what people are saying.) And the Everest roller coaster is also pretty awesome.

And Magic Kingdom is basically Disneyland.

And then there's Disney Springs, which is where all the restaurants and bars are located. Plenty of live music and bars for adults only.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, I guess it just comes down to our definitions of "fun" then. Personally, there a million other things I'd rather being doing than riding a roller coaster or visiting Hogwarts or whatever in my late '30s, if I wan't sharing that experience with a kid.

I'm clearly in the minority in this this thread, though, so I'll shut up now.
Now I know how you felt when I said I didn't use Instagram.
TCTTS
AG
Touche.
fig96
AG
Just a random note, but I legit had one of the best margaritas of my life at the tequila bar in Epcot. You can also grab a Fin du Monde in Canada which is probably the best tripel you'll ever drink.
Urban Ag
AG
Last time I ate there was 2013 but the La Cellier Steakhouse in Canada at Epcot was outstanding. I've eaten there 3-4 times. Excellent.

dave99ag
AG
Around the World beer drinking and then go see Turtle Talk with Crush. It's an experience!

My wife has a conference in November in Orlando. Our kids are still too young for me to endure that, so it's a short couples weekend with a day or two at WDW. Galaxy's Edge is definitely on the agenda. We both enjoy EPCOT and Animal Kingdom. I'm kinda eh on Magic Kingdom, but that place will be magical when I can take my kids.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So question to anyone who has been to Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland: is this place they are now offering reservations for in Orlando to build a lightsaber the only option of buying a lightsaber? I thought I saw an article that made it seem as though one can just buy a lightsaber that come with your choice of "crystals" and blade, costs on the order of $200+, but I don't recall any mention of having to build it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
When you go on the Falcon ride, make sure you're at front right to be the pilot that sits on the right. That person gets to control the up/down of the ship but also gets to throw the hyperspace lever. I'd start practicing lines for the big moment now if I were you.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

So question to anyone who has been to Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland: is this place they are now offering reservations for in Orlando to build a lightsaber the only option of buying a lightsaber? I thought I saw an article that made it seem as though one can just buy a lightsaber that come with your choice of "crystals" and blade, costs on the order of $200+, but I don't recall any mention of having to build it.
It's an "experience" that you have to pay just to get in the building - i think it's $150 - and then you go through the process of picking the handle and the crystal and then they all light up magically at the end. From what I read on TheForce.net, there are also cool interactions between the crystals and the Holocrons you can buy elswhere. Like if you put your lightsaber crystal in the Holocron you get voices of famous Jedi from history talking at you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good to know.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

So I found this on the web ...

Lightsabers in Galaxy's Edge

I'm not really interested in building my own, but I'd love to just buy one.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

When you go on the Falcon ride, make sure you're at front right to be the pilot that sits on the right. That person gets to control the up/down of the ship but also gets to throw the hyperspace lever. I'd start practicing lines for the big moment now if I were you.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Hagen95
AG
They told me they fixed it, I trusted them to fix it. It's not my fault!
Farmer1906
AG
Don't everybody thank me at once.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If a kid starts crying in the back --

"Shut him up or shut him down!"
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If a kid starts crying in the back --

"Shut him up or shut him down!"
And this is why grown ass adults with no children - shouldn't go to Disney Land
Belton Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I'm currently here at Disneyland. When I go back this evening I'll try and remember to ask someone.

On another note... it is NOT crowded, at all.

Smuggler's run is very good. This isn't really a complaint, but I can do without all the interactive stuff, it's kind of distracting. I hope they consider offering a version of the ride that's not interactive.
redline248
AG
Can you describe "interactive" a little more? Like, it stops and has a voice or video talking to you throughout?
aggiemom428
AG
I went to Galaxy's Edge in June. There are places to buy lightsabers without paying $200 to build your own at Savi's Workshop. Specifically, you can buy "legacy" sabers at Dok Ondar's Den of Antiquities. They have Luke's, Obi Wan's, Darth Maul's, Asohka's, and quite a few others. These run between $100 and $130-ish, from what I recall. The difference in the $200 experience is that you're building a customized saber where you choose individual pieces to make the hilt, plus you choose the color Kyber crystal you want, length of the blade, etc. There are 4 saber categories: Power and Control (the Sith), Peace and Justice (the Jedi), Elemental Nature, and Protection and Defense (based on the Temple guards). The sabers are made from metal, so they're fairly good quality.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks. Have a great time!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks for that info. $100-130 is a bit more palatable than $200. I'm not really interested in the building experience. So I suppose the biggest decision is which blade to get.
TCTTS
AG

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/080819-1500

Quote:

Now... if you read the headline above, you'll recall I mentioned that Star Wars is almost certainly coming in 4K Ultra HD next year. This is something we've been saying here at The Bits for quite a while now, and those titles have been listed in our 4K Ultra HD Release List here for several months. This is obviously not yet official, but I think it IS further evidence of the truth of next year's 4K plans: Information has begun to leak from retailers (including cover artwork) that all 10 of the existing Star Wars films are going to be re-issued on regular Blu-ray in September (yes, next month) and I'd bet the official announcement is due any day now. This would indicate that Disney is taking one last bite at the apple on regular Blu-ray with these films. And per the studio's Marvel strategy, all 10 of the films are being released with brand new matching cover artwork. Here's at look at that leaked artwork (and a shout-out is due here to Jordan Maison, who appears to have spotted them in the wild first)...

[Artwork at link above]

You probably know what I'm about to say: Given all of the above, I'd bet my left arm at this point that Disney is going to release all of these films in 4K Ultra HD next year, probably early in the year timed to the home video release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, with this same cover artwork.

Now, before you all start bombarding me with questions like, "Are they going to include the original theatrical versions?!" take a deep breath, folks. I don't know. None of this is official yet. And if I were you, I would assume not so you don't start getting your hopes up. I've seen a lot of speculation online to suggest that there are plans to include the theatrical cuts of the original three films in 4K, but history suggests you should treat this with a grain of salt.

That said, it's certainly possible. Lucasfilm DID allow the Academy to show a rare 70 mm print of the original version of Star Wars (1977) back in June... and even a week before that was announced it would have seemed inconceivable. So it's possible there's been a softening by George Lucas and that Disney does have plans to include those versions in any 4K release. I've said MANY times here at The Bits in recent years that at some point Disney would absolutely release those versions. The studio simply knows too well how badly fans want them and how much money they could make by including them. Could it happen with a 4K release next year? I don't know and I think it would be safer to assume not and allow ourselves to be surprised.

But I do feel pretty confident in saying that the Star Wars films are coming to 4K in 2020 in one form or another Disney is just being way to aggressive in releasing the entire MCU and Pixar catalogs on the format this year. Once they're done with those (and they will be in a few months), Star Wars is the only major franchise they won't yet have exploited in 4K. And the release of the final film in the current Star Wars saga, The Rise of Skywalker, is the obvious time to do it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Unsure how I feel about removing all the episode #s, but some of those are pretty nice. TFA is my favorite. The addition of Luke makes a big difference.

TCTTS
AG
For the record, for those who still buy physical media like myself, I would NOT purchase this new batch of releases, rumored to be dropping in September. It's just the same ol' Blu-rays in new packaging. And even if you don't have the movies on Blu-ray, but want them, the gist of the story I pasted above is that the mega saga release will be dropping in 2020 (assuming April), in 4K, likely with other new bells and whistles. Next month's drop is nothing more than one last cash grab before the saga ends, plain and simple.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I still haven't replaced my 1-6 DVDs, precisely because I'm waiting for the full saga to drop in a giant box set.

Even though I'll end up having 7-9 duplicated, it's gonna be worth dropping cash for, I'm sure. I'm really hoping they are fully comprehensive, with all the stuff from ALL previously released versions. (Empire of Dreams doc, the prequel docs, everything.)

I'll drop $200 for that no problem.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Speaking of which, I really wish (and hope) there is a documentary that tells the entire story of the ST, from the moment Lucas sold to Disney, to the release of TROS.
redline248
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Thanks for that info. $100-130 is a bit more palatable than $200. I'm not really interested in the building experience. So I suppose the biggest decision is which blade to get.

Maybe this will help (although some of these probably aren't options)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-lightsabers-of-star-wars-ranked-1836892620/amp
Belton Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Thanks. Have a great time!

No problem, and Aggiemom gave you the correct answer. Although we didn't do the lightsaber build so I don't know about the quality comparison.
TCTTS
AG
Belton Ag
AG
redline248 said:

Can you describe "interactive" a little more? Like, it stops and has a voice or video talking to you throughout?
Yes and no. It does have a voice that asks you to do "tasks" while the ride is ongoing, although if you don't perform them it's not like the ride stops or anything.

The first time thru my wife and I were engineers, my kids were gunners and two people we didn't know were the pilots. An engineer's job is to press buttons and flip switches as they light up to "repair" damage. I caught myself looking down at the panel to press buttons instead of at the screen, which I didn't care for, but it's not like it made the ride terrible or anything. On a related note, our pilots were awful, just atrocious.

The second time thru, I was a gunner and my kids were pilots. Instead of focusing on the buttons, I didn't even look at them ands just pressed it over and over again video game style and focused on the screen. It was much more fun that time thru. My kids were better at flying the ship than the first two.

All in all it's a great ride, but was a tad underwhelming. Rise of the Resistance is probably going to be amazing, given the amount of work and detail they put into the park.

First Page Last Page
Page 837 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.