Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,681 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If it's like Orlando, there is enough stuff for adults to do without kids. My first Disney trip was with my wife before we had kids. It's not all kids stuff 100%
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

And no, I've never been to any Disney park, ever.
Yeah, there's your answer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Farmer1906 said:

It's a lot of fun. I enjoyed it as a kid and now taking my kids. I want to say I would still enjoy it without, but the charm is kind of lost.

I'm sure it'd be a blast taking kids. I'd love to. I just don't get why 35 year old men go without children.
You don't need kids to enjoy rides.

You're telling me you've never been to Universal, Knotts Berry Farm, or any other theme park in your area?
Belton Ag
AG
I took my wife, then GF to Disneyland before we were married (and no kids) because she is a Disney freak and had been to WDW but not Anaheim.

I'd go to WDW without kids and be fine, Disneyland, not so much.
The Collective
AG
It seems like a lot of people go to WDW without kids. I wouldn't single out Millenials either, I hear of a lot of older folks that do it.
The Collective
AG
Also, my wife and I were married 8 years before we had kids, and we kept going to theme parks (Six Flags, Schlitterbahn, etc). We thought it was fun.
TCTTS
AG
I went to Six Flags all the time growing up, but haven't been since high school. Been to Universal Studios twice, but with family both times, younger family members included. That said, I would never in a million years just go "hang out" at either of those places as an adult.
TXAG 05
AG
Went to Disneyland about 25 years ago, have felt no need to go back. No kids though. I do know people that go all the time, some even have season passes and they don't live there. Much preferred Universal Studios, probably because I was a much bigger fan of Jaws, Back to the Future, etc compared to the Disney movies.
redline248
AG
Just bc you don't see the appeal of doing something you probably shouldn't post in a way that comes off as judgemental of, or better than, those who do.

I know you probably don't mean it that way, but it comes across that way.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

I went to Six Flags all the time growing up, but haven't been since high school. Been to Universal Studios twice, but with family both times, younger family members included. That said, I would never in a million years just go "hang out" at either of those places as an adult.

Being such a big movie guy, you should go to Disney just to see it all come to life. To me it really is like putting aside all the adulting BS of your life and just enjoying the experience. Plus it's like the all-time slam dunk of dates. Somebody has to put their arm around the pretty girl when the Evil Queen turns into the Witch!
TCTTS
AG
I don't doubt that it's fun. I'm sure I would enjoy myself. It just seems weird to attend without children. That's all I'm saying. In the same way it would be weird to still be eating Cap'n Crunch for breakfast every morning, playing with G.I. Joe's and Transformers in my down time, or hanging out at a playground.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What redline and Muck said.

It's actually a bit weird for someone who's so firmly entrenched in Hollywood & movie culture to be such a curmudgeon about Disneyland.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

or hanging out at a playground.
You're comparing people at Disneyland to childless adults hanging out at a playground? Huh? You are way off on this.
TCTTS
AG
Again, I'm not a curmudgeon about Disneyland in and of itself. I have nothing against Disneyland at all. I just can't imagine actively choosing to go there with another adult or adults, and no children.
TCTTS
AG
I might very well be (way off). I'm just trying to understand the motivation and context, that's all.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm just trying to understand the motivation, that's all.

Fun?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe try it and see for yourself. It's pretty fun.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I guess it just comes down to our definitions of "fun" then. Personally, there a million other things I'd rather being doing than riding a roller coaster or visiting Hogwarts or whatever in my late '30s, if I wan't sharing that experience with a kid.

I'm clearly in the minority in this this thread, though, so I'll shut up now.
The Collective
AG
It's all good. I didn't spend the $ to go to a place like Disney until I had kids. I personally wouldn't book a multi-day vacation to a place like that without kids, but that's just me. If I lived near it though, I'd probably go randomly without kids. It's not like it is some huge time investment to go to a nearby theme park.

Do you have similar viewpoints on people who partake in family or children's entertainment at the theater without kids?
Hagen95
AG
You're not in the minority, just not part of the vocal side of the coin in this discussion.
TCTTS
AG
CJS4715 said:

Do you have similar viewpoints on people who partake in family or children's entertainment at the theater without kids?

On the fence on that one. I saw both Toy Story 4 and The Lion King by myself in theaters this summer. But for me, that's more of a "homework" assignment than anything else, in attempt to keep up with the Hollywood conversation - and even learn from them - and both times I went on weeknights to my local Landmark theater that rarely has kids. I love, love, love seeing movies alone - I'd say roughly half the movies I see theatrically are by myself - but I'm super self conscious seeing anything animated or kid-friendly alone. A couple of times I've seen something like a Hunger Games movie or a big-name animated something or other - on a Saturday, with mostly families in attendance - and the looks I've gotten from mothers made me never want to make that mistake again. So my answer would be "yes" on a weeknight or similar non-kid-friendly time, but "no" on the weekends, when it's all families and kids.
TCTTS
AG
Hagen95 said:

You're not in the minority, just not part of the vocal side of the coin in this discussion.

Good to know.
Ag Since 83
AG
My first trip to a Disney Park was as a senior in high school when I was in Anaheim for a school trip. Never went with my family as a kid. Then in the past few years I went to both Disneyland and WDW when I was in town for Star Wars Celebration.

Not something I'd plan a trip around as someone with no kids, but since I was going to be in town I went and had a great time. Awesome rides (my favorites are Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain), and if you have any nostalgia about the Disney cartoons you watched as a kid it's worth it.

Also, so many rides have Single Rider lines that it's GREAT being there without kids
Zemira
AG
My brother-in-law never went to Disney as child. He often goes to Orange, CA for work and he stays fairly close to Disneyland. Several times my sister & nephew went with him and went to the park a day or two.

A few years ago he got stuck working on a project in CA for several weeks and his birthday was in the middle. My sister kept trying to get him to go to Disney on his birthday after work. He kept saying no, I'm an adult and blah blah blah I am not going to go. Finlly on his birthday he was fairly lonely in CA because none of his team was there so he finally decided to go to Disney for like 3-4 hours in the afternoon/evening. You know, he had an absolute blast. We got these photos of him with a huge smile and Mickey ears on his birthday.

Don't completely shut Disney completely down till you have tried going without kids.
TCTTS
AG
Another part of this is having sisters who have kids and knowing how much they and certain other parents can be rightfully paranoid about pedophiles. In fact, this past Christmas I went with family to my cousin's kid's birthday at an indoor trampoline park. I hadn't eaten lunch yet, so I stopped on the way and picked up some Whataburger to go. When I got to the party, all the adults were sitting in chairs along the side, but I saw some empty tables in another area where it was easier to eat. So I went and sat alone, facing the park as I ate, and all these moms started asking around, "Who's the guy sitting by himself?" They were super freaked out. One of my sisters came over, laughing her ass off, that all the moms thought I was some creep who just showed up on my own to eat my Whataburger and watch kids play on trampolines. She had to tell them that I was her brother, and now my family makes fun of me all the time for it.

So that's long of way of saying that in this day and age, that's another layer to all this, knowing how paranoid parents can be.

I get that Disneyland/World can be fun in general, though. I'm not knocking the experience. I'm glad others can have fun without kids, it's just (probably) not my thing.
double aught
AG
That's pretty funny, specifically the Whataburger part.
Duncan Idaho
What he left out is that one of the moms works at the CVS by his place.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
This is turning into a Tctts behind the music documentary
TCTTS
AG
Re: Benioff & Weiss signing an overall deal with Netflix. More than two trilogies in the works, apparently (not from Benioff & Weiss, but in general)...

Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Hagen95 said:

Good to know.
Yep, I am pretty much in your court here.

Also, keep in mind that some of those grown ups at Disney, who appear to be without children, probably just killed their kids earlier in the day, especially if they are on day 3 or 4 of the "vacation".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nobody looks twice at you (or anyone else) at Disney.

That said, those reactions were completely warranted. You sound like a total creeper. Just sit with everyone else.

Also, who shows up with Whataburger to a birthday party?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Despite our occasional differences I really think if spilner and I got on the falcon ride together we could figure out a way to hotwire the door shut and just play star wars until the cops showed up
TCTTS
AG
Who eats Whataburger in their lap? I found a table, like a sane person.

Also, the kid was turning two. It was just like 30 little maniacs screaming and jumping on trampolines. And they scheduled the party during lunch. You don't want me to bring lunch? Either provide food for adults, or don't schedule your party during lunch, neither of which happened.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Also, who shows up with Whataburger to a birthday party?
Someone who doesn't want the "food" typically served at a place like an indoor trampoline park, to come shooting out of his a** a few hours later.
TCTTS
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 836 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.