Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,800 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Star Wars Kids YouTube channel takes a shot at Hayden's worst dialogue while building a diorama. around the 2:50 mark.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
So here's my game to pass the time as we sludge closer to D23 and then the big trailer. Hoping to come up with something once a week to spur some more fun discussion.

Your Star Wars soundtrack mega mix.

Rules:
#1 Pick 10 tracks
#2 No more than 2 tracks per movie.

All the soundtrack with track names for I-II, Solo, Rogue One, and 7-8 can be found at this Spotify link
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/69BOXIItwwyxTgdz6flzvU
The tracklists for 4-6 kind of vary with multiple release.

And I'll go first. Really interested to see who picks what.

1) Leia's News/Light of the Force, ROTJ
2) Ach-To Island, TLJ
3) Hope, RO
4) Rey's Theme, TFA
5) The Arrival at Tatooine and the Flag Parade, TPM
6) Tales of a Jedi Night/Learn About the Force, ANH
7) Binary Sunset, ANH
8) Yoda and the Force, ESB
9) The Imperial March, ESB
10 Forest Battle Suite, ROTJ
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
1) The Imperial March TESB
2) The Battle in the Snow TESB
3) The Last Battle ANH
4) The Throne Room and End Title ANH
5) Battle of the Heroes ROTS
6) Anakin versus Obi-Wan ROTS
7) The Emperor ROTJ
8) Duel of the Fates TPM
9) March of the Resistance TFA
10) The Return of the Jedi ROTJ
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Your list is awesome. That's a pedal to the metal road trip down I-10 list.
Liquid Wrench
Just saw the Houston Symphony will be doing Empire Strikes Back, along with a separate John Williams tribute.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I would try to find the 10 tracks that best encompass the story of the saga. More of a musical journey than my 10 favorite tracks. It's hard to do with just 10 but here goes.

1. Anakin's Theme (Very innocent track, but ends with the soft notes of the Imperial March as great foreshadowing.)

2. Duel of the Fates (No explanation needed.)

3. Across the Stars (Anakin and Padme reconnecting, falling in love.)

4. Padme's Ruminations (Slow, thoughtful, and menacing. A hint of what's to come.)

5. Anakin's Dark Deeds (A musical representation of the tragedy of Anakin's fall to the dark side.)

6. The Hologram / Binary Sunset (Obi-Wan tells Luke about the Republic and Jedi; Luke yearns to find meaning; Introduces the Force Theme.)

7. Throne Room and End Credits (First major victory for the Rebels; Finally get the iconic Star Wars theme, too.)

8. Imperial March (Again, no explanation needed. This cannot be left out.)

9. Yoda and the Force (Luke trains; Wisdom of Yoda.)

10. Jedi Steps and Finale (Rey finds Luke; End credits, Kylo's theme, Rey's theme.)

Obviously it's very hard to do this in 10 tracks. I had to leave ROTJ off completely, in the interest of getting some ST representation in there. Jedi Steps is the most economic choice since you get all the major themes, but it also happens to be my favorite track from the sequels. The last few moments (when Luke removes his hood) give me chills every time.

Too many good tracks had to be left out. 15 would have been much easier. Alas.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I knew you'd have a hard time but I'm pleased you didn't have a bunch of 9 way ties. Way to do instead of just try.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Your list is awesome. That's a pedal to the metal road trip down I-10 list.
I always liked what I called the "action" music the best.

I remember my Dad once saying the Battle in the Snow music was "driving him batty" when I was listening to the LP one night.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Just saw the Houston Symphony will be doing Empire Strikes Back, along with a separate John Williams tribute.
I'm gonna have to put this on the bucket list. I'm already dropping big $$$$$ on a trip to Disney World in November, which the wife is wanting me to delay for another year ... so throwing in the $$ to attend the HSO show would likely be a bridge too far.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I made a CD last fall for our drive from the H to Orlando and had most of the big battles of the OT on it. Two traffic jams had me driving through MS and AL in the dark with everyone else asleep and I had it blasting to keep me awake and focused on the road.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You know I was really thinking about what music might be in IX while making my list. We haven't really had a full-on Kyo Ren theme wire to wire track. I suspect that's been on purpose leading up to this.
redline248
AG
At the risk of kicking off another TLJ debate I'm going to post this...

When The Force Awakens came out I was obsessed with Rey's theme and The Scavenger. I would literally listen to them on repeat. I don't think I've listened to either since TLJ
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
regardless of your opinion on the movie, TLJ has a great soundtrack.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty good/informative "mythbuster" thread...

The Collective
AG
The Spark is a great track
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Zemira
AG
I think we found something that is almost off the chart for tracking Star Wars geek levels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just grabbed my reservation for Oga's Cantina on Sept 7th.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/08/reservations-now-open-for-ogas-cantina-savis-workshop-and-droid-depot-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Zemira said:

I think we found something that is almost off the chart for tracking Star Wars geek levels.
I applied for a job once and had linked them to my freelance website which has a picture of my deck including a 1978 R2D2 toy I've had since I was 4.

One of the guys at the interview waited until everyone was packed up to ask me "Is that a vintage R2 on your desk in that picture?" When I said yes, he pulled out a business card identifying himself as TK-4121, a biker scout for the Empire. He's one of the guys who builds his own trooper armor and wears it to conventions. Why a biker scout needs a business card, I have not yet puzzled out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://wdwnt.com/2019/08/reservations-now-open-for-ogas-cantina-savis-workshop-and-droid-depot-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/
I'm going to need a play by play full of minute details for the Rise of the Resistance ride.
MGS
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Somebody get this man an ostrich so he can make an AT-ST costume.
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

We just pulled up to Disneyland in LA, looking forward to Galaxy' Edge tomorrow.
Duncan Idaho
That got an audible chortle out of me.
Prophet00
AG
I'll see you there.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm going to need a play by play full of minute details for the Rise of the Resistance ride.
That ride isn't scheduled to open until early December (which figures, considering my family's trip is Thanksgiving).
TCTTS
AG

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-06/disney-misses-profit-estimates-as-parks-slump-fox-film-flops
https://nypost.com/2019/07/26/sorry-childless-millennials-going-to-disney-world-is-weird/
TCTTS
AG
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people in the online movie journalism world - grown ass adults with no children - who live in LA and go to Disney Land constantly. It's always weirded me out, and something I didn't know was a "thing" until I moved here. I've lived in LA going on 15 years now and have never once set foot in Disney Land - because I don't have children. I'm sure the next time my nieces and nephews are out, we'll go, but even Galaxy's Edge isn't enough to get me there until then. Why does anyone over 25 or so, without kids, do this?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Question - did you to go any Disney park as a child?
Farmer1906
AG
It's a lot of fun. I enjoyed it as a kid and now taking my kids. I want to say I would still enjoy it without, but the charm is kind of lost.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Opens in December.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yes. (WDW)

Question - did you to go any Disney park as a child?

Yes, what?

And no, I've never been to any Disney park, ever. Would be totally down for going to any of them, just not without kids.
TCTTS
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It's a lot of fun. I enjoyed it as a kid and now taking my kids. I want to say I would still enjoy it without, but the charm is kind of lost.

I'm sure it'd be a blast taking kids. I'd love to. I just don't get why 35 year old men go without children.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Because Disney theme parks are awesome regardless of your age.

Because the feelings of nostalgia there are tough to top. I love going on the Peter Pan ride every time I go, not because of my kids, but because I like it so much.

Because Space Mountain is bad ass.

Ditto Splash Mountain.

Ditto Big Thunder Railroad.

Ditto the Guardians of the Galaxy Ride.

Not ditto the Matterhorn which they wouldn't let me ride last summer because I was too tall for it. All the 450-pound people get on fine, but the 6'7" guy gets the boot?

I digress.

I went with my parents, brother, and sister in law when I was 22 and my brother was 25.

My wife and I plan on going long past when our kids are age-appropriate for it. We like the atmosphere and the rides and the food and the feeling of being there. My wife never went as a child. I love the look on her face when she's drinking one of the Japanese snow cone things at Epcot or getting her picture taken with Goofy (the character, not me).

And did the guy in the blog really say that kids don't know what Star Wars is?

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Opens in December.
You've failed me for the last time, admiral!

I really want to hear all about it when you're back. Obviously my own time was only about 2 hours and I had some very tired wee folks in tow. You'll probably see 500 things I didn't.
First Page Last Page
Page 835 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.