Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,227 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is beautiful. A reminder that all movie posters should be painted (even digitally would be fine).
RebAg13
Hello there
Worldwide box office:

I - 1.02 B
III - 848 M
Drop - 17%

IV - 775 M
VI - 475 M
Drop - 39%

Average drop of 28% from first to last episode of each trilogy. If that holds for the sequels:

VII - 2.06 B
IX - 1.48 B
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Darn... only 1.48 B
Hello there
To be fair, thd original was such a ridiculously enormous success that that 39% drop is probably dragging down the average more than it should.

I would predict closer to a 20% or so drop from TFA
Dekker_Lentz
AG
It is kinda interesting where the characters are looking. Like Padme, Yoda, and Rey are looking at Kylo Ren
Hello there
Hello there
redline248
AG
Still one of the many inconsistencies George had between original and prequel
Fenrir
Hello there said:

Worldwide box office:

I - 1.02 B
III - 848 M
Drop - 17%

IV - 775 M
VI - 475 M
Drop - 39%

Average drop of 28% from first to last episode of each trilogy. If that holds for the sequels:

VII - 2.06 B
IX - 1.48 B

Hello there
Hello there
https://www.thisisinsider.com/disneyland-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-run-time-2019-1

And from reddit:
Quote:

Sort of fits with something a buddy told me. His SIL works for Disney and the word going around is that the Falcon ride isn't being treated like a typical ride, where people will go on it a few times. It's being treated like a "once in a life time" type experience. It's supposed to be so amazing that, while you will obviously want to ride it as many times as possible, you won't be disappointed if you only ride it once per visit. Where as rollercoasters and other rides leave you feeling upset that you only got to ride it once, this one will be so amazing you will just be happy you got to experience it.

Apparently it's because Disney knows that this will be such a "must see" park that they will reach capacity very early in the day, every day. He was saying that there are "down times" during the year when the park sees a lot less traffic than the busy times. They expect that won't be the case with Star Wars Land, it will be capacity every day for years to come.
Hello there
Hello there
double aught
AG
User name checks out.
wangus12
AG
Urban Ag
AG
Hello there said:

https://www.thisisinsider.com/disneyland-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-run-time-2019-1

And from reddit:
Quote:

Sort of fits with something a buddy told me. His SIL works for Disney and the word going around is that the Falcon ride isn't being treated like a typical ride, where people will go on it a few times. It's being treated like a "once in a life time" type experience. It's supposed to be so amazing that, while you will obviously want to ride it as many times as possible, you won't be disappointed if you only ride it once per visit. Where as rollercoasters and other rides leave you feeling upset that you only got to ride it once, this one will be so amazing you will just be happy you got to experience it.

Apparently it's because Disney knows that this will be such a "must see" park that they will reach capacity very early in the day, every day. He was saying that there are "down times" during the year when the park sees a lot less traffic than the busy times. They expect that won't be the case with Star Wars Land, it will be capacity every day for years to come.

That's awesome and sucks at the same time. Was really wanting to take the family not long after Star Wars Land opens but you know it's just going to be unbearably packed wall to wall.
The Collective
AG
Hello there said:

They expect that won't be the case with Star Wars Land, it will be capacity every day for years to come.

YouBet
AG
Hello there said:

What's the context here?
Flashdiaz
AG
Luke holding Rey's mother
wangus12
AG
Meanwhile in Chicago

My Dad Earl
AG
So I haven't followed this thread so sorry if already discussed...

I just got around to watching Solo last night. It surprised me that Darth Maul was revealed to be alive at the end. I did some internet research and saw that his story goes more in-depth during the animated series. My question is: do I need to watch the animated series in order to keep track of storylines of the entire canon? I always assumed they were just spin-offs for kids and didn't make major contributions to any overall storylines.
redline248
AG
My Dad Earl said:

I just got around to watching Solo last night. It surprised me that Darth Maul was revealed to be alive at the end. I did some internet research and saw that his story goes more in-depth during the animated series. My question is: do I need to watch the animated series in order to keep track of storylines of the entire canon? I always assumed they were just spin-offs for kids and didn't make major contributions to any overall storylines.

Only if you really want to get into some depth of lesser characters. I don't think it's that important, really.
Farmer1906
AG
My Dad Earl said:

If you really want the entire canon then yes and you need to read the novels too. Maybe even some of the comics (I don't recall if these are canon or not).

Overall they don't matter all that much in the main films, but sometimes a little extra info helps understand motivations or make you more interested in minor characters. It really depends on just how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole.
Hello there
https://instagr.am/p/BtTXSM9BS7U
AliasMan02
AG
My Dad Earl said:

The TV shows, plus the novels and comics since the acquisition by Disney are all Canon, but they do a great job separating the films from those things. The movies stand on their own.

That said, if you're going to consume additional Star Wars, the TV shows are definitely what you should focus on. For The Clone Wars, there are some great viewing guides to cut through to the cream of the crop, and Rebels is worth watching pretty much in its entirety. The novels and comics have some great stuff, but it's a lot of material.
YouBet
AG
I'm in the back quarter of Clone Wars season 2 and it has gotten really good. Season one felt like a bit of a slog but it has gotten more adult as time goes on and has done a cool job incorporating lesser characters and their backstories at this point.

You also shouldn't watch Clone Wars in episodic order. Search online for chronological order and follow that.
TCTTS
AG
These things hardley ever get a chuckle out of me, but this one literally made me laugh out loud for whatever reason...

Farmer1906
AG
Wouldn't it just be Han Alone? Why is there an "o" at the end?
Hello there
Seriously?
Ag Since 83
AG
Render
AG
Watched Empire on TNT this afternoon. Hadn't seen it in awhile. Gawd dam it's still the best. Best SW movie and one of the best movies of all time. Completely blows all the modern "big movies" out of the water.
cbr
AG
agracer said:

daggertx said:

Urban Ag said:

TV Casualty said:

PatAg said:

So we're in the bad fan fiction part of the year eh?

Disney could have made better movies going off of fan fiction on the internet rather than the crap Abrams, Kennedy, and Johnson have been shoveling our way.
Slightly perplexed by this sentiment.

We're four movies in with Disney.

The Force Awakens was good, not great, but good.
Rogue One was absolutely amazing. Top 3 general consensus.
TLJ was bad. No argument there.
Solo was good. Better than TFA in my opinion. Generally well received by critics and fans alike. It had disappointing performance at the box office but there are a lot of compelling reasons to explain that beyond the quality of the film itself.

Disney is not hitting it out of the park with SW the way they are with the MCU. But to act like SW has become hot garbage overall seems completely unfounded.
TLJ killed star wars for me and a lot of people. I no longer care about it at all and will no longer pay money to see the movies.

Its dead Jim,

Also, the force awakens was jar jar territory. I loved the part when mary sue beat a sith having never used a lightsaber before, and the exact same plot as a New Hope. Really?

I think a lot of people were able to see past some of the holes (like the lightsaber battle) in TFA because; it was well written, well directed, the story was decent (yes it was a rehash of ANH), great visuals and the acting was mostly good. It felt like a SW movie...good action, hero's, villains, ...and it has been a long time since SW was on the big screen. Everyone wanted to know "what happens next, who are Rey's parents, what's Luke been up too, what will he do with his light saber...."..

Then the crap that is TLJ comes out and IMO a lot of folks just piled on TFA b/c the crap from the 2nd movie spilled over into the first.
I have to say solo is the first movie i didnt go see. Tlj was such abject total **** i was done. Then i rewatched rogue 1 and it was just so good i had to give solo a try. It was pretty good. Harrison ford was a tough act to follow. Tfa was a visually pretty, great sound track, rey a decent character....it was a little stale on the iv redo but still ok. So the series still lives. We just need an exorcist for that last pos and somehow pretend it never happened.
fig96
AG
Some of y'all really just need to take a deep breath and move on.
redline248
AG
fig96 said:

Some of y'all really just need to take a deep breath and move on.
Every time I'm at the point of moving on I see Return of the Jedi on TNT. I watch Luke, in the face of the most evil MF in the galaxy, refuse to kill Vader, or fight, and say "I'll never turn to the dark side." That reminds me that some nerd with a camera tried to convince me that 30 years later Luke was ready to kill a teenager while he slept.

GTFO
First Page Last Page
Page 786 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.