Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,397 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 19 min ago by TCTTS
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is one of the most awesome scenes in the entire series. It's a shame you let hatred for The Last Jedi ruin it for you.
redline248
AG
It doesn't ruin anything. It just makes me think later about how stupid TLJ is
Saul Goodman
AG
redline248 said:

fig96 said:

Some of y'all really just need to take a deep breath and move on.
Every time I'm at the point of moving on I see Return of the Jedi on TNT. I watch Luke, in the face of the most evil MF in the galaxy, refuse to kill Vader, or fight, and say "I'll never turn to the dark side." That reminds me that some nerd with a camera tried to convince me that 30 years later Luke was ready to kill a teenager while he slept.

GTFO

Of all the complaints about TLJ, this is one of the dumbest IMO. Luke flirted with the dark side in RotJ before ultimately pulling back. Not to mention, in TLJ, Luke has lived another 40 years of life and in that time period experiencing all kinds of ****. In that moment he sees all of the future pain and terror Kylo would bring upon the galaxy and in a impulsive moment he considers eliminating it. Similar to the "would you kill baby Hitler if you had the chance". But...he ultimately decides he can't murder his nephew.

How is that such a reach?
redline248
AG
Quote:

Of all the complaints about TLJ, this is one of the dumbest IMO
My opinion is no dumber than yours
Hello there
Take it to the TLJ thread.
redline248
AG
Hello there said:

Take it to the TLJ thread.

First of all, this is the Star Wars discussion thread. We are discussing Star Wars. Including return of the Jedi and the last Jedi.

Second, make me.
Render
AG
I'm not against Luke being tempted by the dark side, or experiencing echos of his character arc in the OT, but that Kylo scene was so un-cinematic. Like, that's the best they could do? Luke Skywalker sneaking into some guy's bedroom like the midnight rambler? Luke being tempted should've had the same build-up and weight as Aragorn turning down the Ring when Frodo offers it to him in Fellowship.

Instead, it's almost as if Rian Johnson wrote one draft, turned it in, and then everyone decided to go with it...
Flashdiaz
AG
That's a valid point. I didn't mind Luke skirting on the dark side, he almost killed his father after he mentioned trying to turn Leia.
It would have been better if there was more weight to what Luke saw... hell have a force vision of another bigger deathstar taking out star systems, skewered solo, Leia floating in space and akbar dying and now we get an idea of the destruction.
Quad Dog
AG
A force vision inside of a flashback?
Saul Goodman
AG
That's a fair point - execution could've been better
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

That's a valid point. I didn't mind Luke skirting on the dark side, he almost killed his father after he mentioned trying to turn Leia.
It would have been better if there was more weight to what Luke saw... hell have a force vision of another bigger deathstar taking out star systems, skewered solo, Leia floating in space and akbar dying and now we get an idea of the destruction.

Except that TLJ wasn't Luke's story. It was ultimately Rey's, especially as it relates to Kylo's fall. It would be clunky to take Luke's telling of this story to Rey and drop in Luke's vision, I think. He explained to Rey what he saw, and we got to see how much it pained him to relate it. That was the right move.
Urban Ag
AG
Render said:

Watched Empire on TNT this afternoon. Hadn't seen it in awhile. Gawd dam it's still the best. Best SW movie and one of the best movies of all time. Completely blows all the modern "big movies" out of the water.
It is literally that good.

If I had only one movie to watch, stranded a desert island, it would be ESB.
Hello there
ESB is a perfect movie.
PatAg
AG
Him just tossing the lightsaber away, and Poe doing a prank call were probably the 2 things I hated the most off the movie. Just tonally doesn't jive with most people's perception of this story/universe.

The stuff with Luke just being a projection and then dying, while disappointing, is still a pretty badass thing to do.
The Collective
AG
Simple answer, Luke saw good in Vader; he didn't see any good in Kylo.
Quad Dog
AG
Rogue One has been on TV a bunch so I've been watching it again in bit and pieces as I catch them. Not to dump more on TLJ, but I noticed something that confused me. When Vader arrives in his ship at the end of Rogue One several Rebel ships are jumping into hyperspace at the same place and time but nothing bad happens. We even see at least one ship directly crash into Vader's ship. The light speed kamikaze in TLJ was a cool moment, but is there any canon explanation for the difference between Rogue One and TLJ?
AgMarauder04
AG
I don't recall any crashing into the ship, just some going by before it arrives?
double aught
AG
F=MA

The ships in Rogue One were smaller.

Actually, I don't know. Seems reasonable though.
The Collective
AG
There is no reasonable explanation to the Holdo move. I can only assume it has been thought of in the past by story writers, but was not used for obvious reasons... they are going to have a hell of a time walking it back if they try to do it.
Flashdiaz
AG
the ship wasn't in Hyperspace yet, the engines were about to fire. also, this ship is much smaller.

Regardless of the technicalities or TLJ overall, that Holdo hyperspace crash in silence was awesome when mixed in with a theater full of adults and kids alike reacting at the same time to something awesome.
redline248
AG
There was a discussion on one of these threads about how the timing has to be perfect in order to hit at such a speed to cause damage, but not yet be in hyperspace.

So, by retcon, in Rogue One some of the rebels had already gone into hyperspace, but the last one was barely getting started when it smashed apart against Vader's ship.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
Is The Mandalorian's release going to be after Episode IX or before it? I don't recall if the specifics were known yet.
Flashdiaz
AG
specifics aren't known about the Mandalorian but Episode IX comes out mid December and i doubt they'd debut this series after that right before Christmas while Episode IX is going into full swing.

I'd guess a date in the fall.
Belton Ag
AG
Disney hasn't announced when it's streaming service will go live. They've only said "late 2019." It's likely that the Mandalorian will debut a month or so before Episode IX.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Grimey
Quad Dog said:

Rogue One has been on TV a bunch so I've been watching it again in bit and pieces as I catch them. Not to dump more on TLJ, but I noticed something that confused me. When Vader arrives in his ship at the end of Rogue One several Rebel ships are jumping into hyperspace at the same place and time but nothing bad happens. We even see at least one ship directly crash into Vader's ship. The light speed kamikaze in TLJ was a cool moment, but is there any canon explanation for the difference between Rogue One and TLJ?

If I recall correctly, the shields on the TLJ destroyer were down. ROTJ informed us as to the importance of shields when the bridge shields dropped on the Executor and one stray A-Wing took the whole thing down.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
twilly
AG
64 days to Celebration. Who's going?

If we can find the right establishment, I might be persuaded to buy a round a drinks, but only if we find the right place....

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be there!

Would be cool to meet up and share some space alien boob milk.
twilly
AG
I like the thought, but I'm space alien lactose intolerant.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess beer will have to do.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well done anonymous Reddit poster. Well done indeed.
AliasMan02
AG

Little is known about Fallen Order other than that it will be a third-person, single-player action game that's considered canon in the Star Wars universe. It will feature an unnamed Jedi character during the events after Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
First Page Last Page
Page 787 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.