Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,458 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The video game number is what really got me. If that number is from 2012, I wonder how it's changed. The video game economics have totally changed and movie box offices are bigger than ever, plus the toy market has kinda dried up.
tamusc
AG
AliasMan02 said:

The video game number is what really got me. If that number is from 2012, I wonder how it's changed. The video game economics have totally changed and movie box offices are bigger than ever, plus the toy market has kinda dried up.
To give you an idea of how much a big time game can bring in, GTA V has grossed over $6 billion in the five years it's been out on a $260 million budget.
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Thought this was fascinating

The font is small enough that I misread the yellow as saying "dads" and I thought, "Yeah, that sounds about right."
AliasMan02
AG
tamusc said:

AliasMan02 said:

To give you an idea of how much a big time game can bring in, GTA V has grossed over $6 billion in the five years it's been out on a $260 million budget.

That's the outlier, though. Major release video games are much less profitable than they once we're. Development costs have skyrocketed but consumers won't allow the $60 price tag to increase, which is why everything now relies on micro transactions to make up the difference.

On the flip side, casual games are incredibly profitable, costing very little to develop and then nickel and diming addicts.

So overall I'm not sure if profits are up or down in that sector.
tamusc
AG
AliasMan02 said:

tamusc said:

AliasMan02 said:

That's the outlier, though. Major release video games are much less profitable than they once we're. Development costs have skyrocketed but consumers won't allow the $60 price tag to increase, which is why everything now relies on micro transactions to make up the difference.

On the flip side, casual games are incredibly profitable, costing very little to develop and then nickel and diming addicts.

So overall I'm not sure if profits are up or down in that sector.
I know it's definitely an outlier, but those same microtransactions are also why many people are less willing to spend $60 or more for a game. I have no problem with either priocing model, but I do have a huge problem with paying full price for a game, and then having to turn around and pay another $20 for DLC or microtransactions for something that should have/would have been in the base game.

EA has been a huge driver in this and the blow up around the Battlefront 2 launch shows that they finally pushed gamers too far.
double aught
AG
Battlefront 2 was $9 in the Xbox store recently. It was definitely worth that.
hurleyag
AG
TCTTS said:

AliasMan02 said:

Thought this was fascinating

The font is small enough that I misread the yellow as saying "dads" and I thought, "Yeah, that sounds about right."
I read it as "duds" at first.
TCTTS
AG
This all sounds really, really terrible, and just reinforces why I don't pay attention to anything outside of the movies...

The Collective
AG
Ya know how Marvel incorporates really corny ideas from old material for humor... well, Star Wars writes it now and is completely serious about all of it.
fig96
AG
New show info from Wired:
https://www.wired.com/story/cantina-talk-71/
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

This all sounds really, really terrible, and just reinforces why I don't pay attention to anything outside of the movies...

I stopped reading it but this falls into the camp of leave well enough alone. We don't need to fill in every single backstory gap that has ever been debated.

Just let us talk about it on the internet and be done with it.
AliasMan02
AG
The comics allow for the canon to have some range of movement. Taking big risks in movies is tough (like TLJ) and uncertain. Taking big swings in the comics and novels is more forgiveable because it's not all tied up in the core material. It gives you really kick-ass stuff like Dr. Aphra or Mister Bones that would never make it into a movie, but you also get misses.

For the record, if the weapon described in the comic is the one we saw the aftermath of on Malachor, it's chilling and awesome. On the other point Vader trying to reach Padme (I assume this doesn't actually happen) makes perfect sense. I would assume the contraption conceived by the ancient Sith doesn't even work.
Duncan Idaho
Mister bones would kill on screen
Farmer1906
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Mister bones would kill on screen

Oh yes please
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Mr bones is overrated. Not bad, but not some droid "end all be all" either.
Duncan Idaho
Not sure anyone thinks he is an "end all be all droid"
He was just a fresh take on a droid that was better than any other droid not named R5-D4
Render
AG
"Tthere's always been one BTS item that has been highly desirable but thought lost for the ages - the French documentary about the making of "The Empire Strikes Back."

Thanks to the power of the Internet and YouTube, an unknown person won a copy of the documentary in an auction and was able to upload it for fans to watch in the comfort of their own home. "

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well this is weird. Set of The Mandalorian has been robbed.

http://epicstream.com/news/BayaniMiguelAcebedo/The-Set-of-Star-Wars-The-Mandalorian-has-been-Robbed
amercer
AG
Seems like standard comic book stuff to me. Got to keep churning out pages every month.
OnlyForNow
AG
Wasn't by any chance.... Tuskan Raiders was it??
twilly
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Wasn't by any chance.... Tuskan Raiders was it??
It was technology that was stolen right? Has to be Jawas. Disgusting creatures.
redline248
AG
Did any Bothans die?
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

Your missing out then because some of the books are excellent. Take for example "Lost Stars", it largely takes place during episodes 4-6, it adds very little to the canon other than some explanation of Jakku, but frankly it's a better story than all the new movies except for Rogue One. "Lords of the Sith" is another book that could easily be made into a movie with a modest(for Star Wars) budget and if faithful to the book would be the best movie since the Disney takeover.
Duncan Idaho
redline248 said:

Did any Bothans die?

Just Manny
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lords of the Sith would be ****ing amazing as a movie. The corridor scene from Rogue One expanded to two hours, plus a real deep dive into the Palpatine/Vader relationship post-ROTS.

And put me down for the side that thinks having his lair as a means to communicate with Padme as pretty cool.
twilly
AG
This probably isn't vey shocking, or surprising, but Boba Fett spin-off movie is dead, says Kathleen Kennedy.
Boba Fett Spin-off Shelved, Production Focused on The Mandalorian
Flashdiaz
AG
I'm a huge Boba Fett fan and I'm ok with this. The mandalorian sounds like it's going to quench any fett armor related thirst.
Regardless of The Mandalorian though, I still hope we see Fett and Solo in the Hutt clan in a solo spinoff on the new Disney streaming option.
Render
AG
I hope "Gonk: A Star Wars Story" isn't cancelled.
Saul Goodman
AG
I'll be honest, I never understood the Boba Fett love. His suit looks cool, but outside of that, I don't understand the fascination.
Duncan Idaho
Saul Goodman said:

I'll be honest, I never understood the Boba Fett love. His suit looks cool, but outside of that, I don't understand the fascination.

He was such a blank slate. So kids could make him as cool and as big of a bad ass as their imagine let them.
Malachi Constant
AG
https://soundtrackfest.com/en/news/john-williams-is-doing-well-will-return-to-los-angeles-shortly/

John Williams is doing well and will return to Los Angeles shortly
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great news.
PatAg
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Saul Goodman said:

He was such a blank slate. So kids could make him as cool and as big of a bad ass as their imagine let them.
Yep, some expanded universe books told some great stories with him involved as well.
agracer
AG
twilly said:

This probably isn't vey shocking, or surprising, but Boba Fett spin-off movie is dead, says Kathleen Kennedy.
Boba Fett Spin-off Shelved, Production Focused on The Mandalorian

Probably too much testosterone for Kennedy ...
Justin2010
AG
Saul Goodman said:

I'm with you. Always thought he was one of the most overrated characters in SW.
First Page Last Page
Page 773 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.