Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,103 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96 said:

bangobango said:

fig96 said:

bangobango said:

fig96 said:

cbr said:

oh and lol, how is it possible for any ******* to make a star wars franchise movie and get a 46% score at rotten tomatoes? LOL.

i'll tell you how, make a movie worse than phantom menace (55%), finish off two of the most iconic characters in movie history in an insulting, asinine way, and fill it full of PC bull**** agendas....
Actually, it's largely because there was literally an organized campaign from some very sad individuals who wanted to torpedo the film. Which you'd know if you'd paid any attention at all.
One guy making a facebook post that he "botted" the Last Jedi fan score does not prove anything. no matter how much Disney pushes that it does or the shill movie sites repeat Disney's talking point on it.

Star Wars fans, the vast majority, hated this movie. Just look at posts, youtube videos, conversations in person with fans, and the Solo bomb. It all points to the obvious if you don't choose to willfully ignore it.

This defense of TLJ is the most massive gas lighting for a movie I have ever seen. Episode IX, like Solo, will further expose what the majority of star wars fans are saying - that TLJ was a complete failure of a movie.
It doesn't, but the really low score before the film released sure does.

We're unfortunately seeing this more and more, "fans" tanking the rating of a film before it releases.

And again, the Solo bomb has far less to do with TLJ than many want it to. Most Star Wars fans saw Solo, and even if they hadn't they aren't the big piece of revenue. It's the casual fans that make up that blockbuster money, and Solo just didn't get them into the theaters.

Movie gets bad fan reviews - somebody hacked the review.

Movie has massive drop after first weekend - it's because it was on a holiday/other made so much money first weekend it had further to fall.

Toy sales go into the ****ter - nobody buys toys anymore.

Star Wars movie bombs at box office - everyone has star Wars fatigue.

Massive internet backlash against movie on forums and social media - it's just a small angry minority of Alt-right nerds that make a lot of noise.

What other excuses am I leaving out?
Bad reviews are bad reviews. Bad reviews before a movie releases are something else.

People didn't love the film and that's fine, but acting like most people hated it is disingenuous. Casual fans freakin' love Transformers, taste is not that discering.

Honestly, do you really think casual fans are that upset about Star Wars? Your average fan isn't off venting on social media and forums.

It is a vocal minority, other people may not have loved it but have just moved on.
I know lots of casual fans and most of then were very 'meh' about the movie.

I finally watched it again bc everyone said it was better the 2nd time. It wasn't, it was just as bad and just pissed me off at all the missed opportunities to make a spectacular movie and tell a new story with the new character's.
wangus12
AG
So fun story from last night. How I know I picked the right woman. I got engaged a couple weeks ago and we were having a conversation last night about phrases that we say all the time in conversation.

One of the things I say frequently in conversation is "Absolutely". Just a mannerism I have.

I was laughing about it and she looks me dead in the eye with a serious face and says:

She is not a huge Star Wars fan by any means and hadn't even seen the movies till we started dating
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You did well.
redline248
AG
That's great! Congratulations
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I live my life a quarter podrace at a time.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

One of the things I say frequently in conversation is "Absolutely". Just a mannerism I have.
Did you ever wait tables at a Landry's restaurant?
SF2004
AG
I would be curious to read people interpretations of the story from TLJ (which is basically the culmination of Luke's story). Without the I hate this film crap.

If your argument is "that's not how Luke Skywalker is"... well we don't really know that because that story has never been finished. Unless you missed how they said that the EU did not exist for the continuation of the movies.

I had to choose a offshoot SW film or the MCU film with the culmination of everything they have made or Deadpool 2. If it was Episode IX and those two then I probably would have not gone to Deadpool 2 and waited on the blu ray.

In the end I chose Deadpool 2 and IW because reasons. Also Star Wars to most people is Lightsabers and cool force *****.. a movie without them is going to have much less appeal.

The whole "universe" thing that nerds harp on is irrelevant to 90% of fans. Star Wars is about the Skywalker family and the rebellion/empire.

Somehow not having extreme hatred for TLJ has been interpreted as gas lighting the fan base. It wasn't my favorite but I would still like to see how it ends.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seen on Reddit today.

Quote:

About two months ago, I lost my wife of over twenty years. Saying it has been rough is a massive understatement, but I'm very lucky to have a strong support system here. (My wife was one of 8 kids.)

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine reached out to the publicity department at Lucasfilm and let them know what happened and how I was a huge Star Wars fan.

Yesterday I got two boxes full of gifts from them. They had called my friend to find out about my situation and my kids. They got their ages and every single one of them (I've got seven kids, yep, seven) got an incredible gift bag of merch. All the right size - all age appropriate. They even sent me some wonderful stuff as well.

I have to be honest - I'm shocked my friend got a response to an out of the blue email like that. And I'm just... blown away by what they did.

I don't know if any of the company folks monitor this, but if so, you have my thanks. You made this big Star Wars nerd happy and you made my kids pretty damn happy too.

Thank you.
Good guy Lucasfilm.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Keri Russel cast for Episode IX.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-keri-russell-1202861343/
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-keri-russell-1202861343/
did the mole on her lip get a part too?

But a good casting choice. Plus she already has a full wig catalog with which to dress her character.

I am calling it. Rey's mother. Who is not an alcoholic. And not dead.

Still not seeing it (the movie)
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But a good casting choice.

Still not seeing it.

I wonder if Kylo hated Han Solo so much after he bugged out on the family due to alcoholism that he thought of him as a Drunk Nobody... so Rey is the ******* daughter of Han and Keri who just happened to get Level 1,000,000,000 midichlorians like a Super Sayan
SeattleAgJr
SpreadsheetAg said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But a good casting choice.

Still not seeing it.

I wonder if Kylo hated Han Solo so much after he bugged out on the family due to alcoholism that he thought of him as a Drunk Nobody... so Rey is the ******* daughter of Han and Keri who just happened to get Level 1,000,000,000 midichlorians like a Super Sayan
no reason she has to be related to the Skywalker/Solo's. Or Kenobi's.
The one thing they established for the common watcher (even though it has always been true), the force is not unique to specific bloodlines and whatnot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hard to believe, but so far the sequel trilogy hasn't actually returned to any previous planets from the franchise, either PT or OT.

On Collider Jedi Council, they were discussing which planets they'd most like to see return. Which would you most like to see again and why?

For me:

1. Naboo
2. Coruscant
3. Mustafar
4. Tatooine

Mustafar makes the most sense as the planet that Kylo would take up as his new home, since that's where Vader's castle was.

Naboo could be interesting if he wanted to go visit his grandmother's homeworld, but I can't really think of any way that happens. I just loved it as a planet.

And Coruscant is just cool. I figure there has to be a new capital after they destroyed it in TFA, and I feel like the First Order would probably take up the planet that the Empire used as its capital.

Tatooine just because it's so iconic. But again, I can't think of any story reasons for the movie to go there.

Thoughts?
SeattleAgJr
no need to revisit old locales.

that is something they do way too much in all the SW media.

same thing with repeating animals that somehow appear on multiple planets all over the galaxy instead of just on their home planet. As if different specifies of Rancors would develop on different planets (and not just be imported).

That is one of the good things about the new series is that they have focused on new planets.

Ag Since 83
AG
I'm definitely a supporter of new locales. It is a big galaxy after all. But I could see a brief return to one planet working if the story is right (like going back to Yavin IV in Rogue One made sense)

My choice would always be Bespin because I think it's my favorite Star Wars planet, but the one possibility they discussed on Jedi Council yesterday that sounded interesting to me was going back to Yavin IV. Initially the idea seemed kind of pointless to me, but when Ken pointed out it is Poe's homeworld, it makes a lot of sense. Particularly if he is the leader now. I don't know if I would care to see his mother like they talked about, but his connection to the planet seems kind of interesting.
The Collective
AG
Guess Keri will be the one to smack Poe around this film with no Leia or Holdo.
redline248
AG
Quote:

And Coruscant is just cool. I figure there has to be a new capital after they destroyed it in TFA, and I feel like the First Order would probably take up the planet that the Empire used as its capital.

It seemed to me Snoke and the entire first order ruled from the ships. And it's not like the rest of the galaxy cares enough for the FO to need a central ruling planet.
Belton Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Guess Keri will be the one to smack Poe around this film with no Leia or Holdo.
She'll be wearing a formal evening gown and have the title of Gunnery Sergeant or some such nonsense.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They ruled from ships because they weren't ruling the galaxy yet. Don't forget TLJ was literally days after the destruction of the New Republic.
TCTTS
AG

AliasMan02
AG
Because Ep IX is the wrap of the 9 films as a whole, I'm sure we'll revisit at least one world. Tatooine makes the most sense just to come full circle.

As I noted earlier, I think Yavin IV is a good spot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tangentially related to this thread:

Anyone remember Keri Russell as the hot babysitter in Honey I Blew Up The Kid? One of my earliest childhood crushes.

redline248
AG
"...doesn't know how to set up actually story turn."

Him bad Engrish.

What the hell does that mean?
SeattleAgJr

So is the gist of the second point (the one he/she calls "gross")... a character having a destiny (whether it plays out or is pre-ordained) is bad?

I mean, that is literally almost every damn movie.

granted he specifically mentions genetic destiny as being gross, which is relevant to only some movies (e.g, SW, Terminator etc.)_ but there is nothing nefarious in that concept. it is a way to limit and focus your story without having to bring in too many external events/factors/etc.

If noting noteworthy, interesting, terrifying, whatever is not to happen to the main character(s), then why make or watch a ****ing movie?

Maybe I am misreading what he wrote....

Also welcome back Mr. Corleone. I see we managed to pull you back in.

:-)
bangobango
AG
He's just sjw'ing that the "chosen one" trope is too Nazi/Manifest destiny.

SeattleAgJr

I don't want to go down that path in the discussion yet because like I said I'm not 100% certain the point he was making giving his wording. But within the scope of Star Wars the genetic Destiny is very much a core part of the story.

Anakin / Vader is the literal child of the force and and he and his genetic progeny were the focus of the legend to bring balance to the force.

So so the fact that some of us anticipated some level of genetic tie in as part of episode 8 is a reasonable expectation even if it was not fulfilled. Given how much emphasis this plot line played out in the prior six movies.

I disagree with the concept or the expectation of the plot device is gross because here it is very much relevant and central to the storyline, and there is no nefarious intent behind it.

Now I fully get that lucasfilm wanted to turn our expectations on their head, but then if Rey's parents are truly irrelevant... There was never any point to bring them up. She could just be an orphan child on this planet and her parentage is absolutely and utterly irrelevant and did not need to being brought up.

redline248
AG
Quote:

Now I fully get that lucasfilm wanted to turn our expectations on their head, but then if Rey's parents are truly irrelevant... There was never any point to bring them up. She could just be an orphan child on this planet and her parentage is absolutely and utterly irrelevant and did not need to being brought up.

Bingo.

The entire force vision focused on Luke's lightsaber is completely pointless, now.
wangus12
AG
redline248
AG
He left out the key part about "had Maul not been taunting me, he would have been able to defend against my attack."
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

TLDR
Render
AG
I like Rey not being anybody and becoming somebody. It's what the OT was all about - Luke was an everyman. The Luke-Vader parentage thing was simply about avoiding temptation and the mistakes of an older generation - it was never meant to be taken literally, like only great people come from certain genetics. Stories use families to make larger points all the time. It wasn't until the prequels that the whole space messiah thing came about because Lucas desperately wanted SW to be something bigger than what it was.
SeattleAgJr
Render said:

I like Rey not being anybody and becoming somebody. It's what the OT was all about - Luke was an everyman. The Luke-Vader parentage thing was simply about avoiding temptation and the mistakes of an older generation - it was never meant to be taken literally, like only great people come from certain genetics. Stories use families to make larger points all the time. It wasn't until the prequels that the whole space messiah thing came about because Lucas desperately wanted SW to be something bigger than what it was.
except Luke was not an everyman.

He is the grandson of the Force. Literally.

He was the one that brought balance to the force.

That was very much the story Lucas eventually told, and what we are stuck with.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Hard to say we haven't been to old planets when we've been to a snow planet that looked just like Hoth and a hot planet that looked just like Tatooine.

And the Twitter rampage? Cmon man, we can barely read 3 sentences of each other's writing, we're not reading 50 Tweets of some random idiot.

Highly recommend playing KOTOR and naming your character "Darth Revan". It makes for some really funny moments. "What, I'm not Revan! My name is Darth Revan!"
First Page Last Page
Page 742 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.