Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,900 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I mean, that's been known forever. Kasdan, Ford, and even Gary Kurtz hated what Lucas did with ROTJ. I'm sure Kasdan was done with all of it after that, and only came back when he figured he could "right the wrongs" in the continuation of the saga. (Ie. Finally kill Han.)
Ag Since 83
AG
Hearing Kurtz talk about the pointless Jabba scene added in A New Hope is hilarious

"We added all the relevant dialogue to the Greedo scene. It wasn't important anymore. It was redundant"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It is a stupid scene.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It is a stupid scene.

agree. Jabba puts a huge bounty on his head to where lots of people are looking for him.

Then Jabba finds him. Han steps on his tail and insults him, and Jabba lets him go.

At the end of the movie, Han is concerned about this bounty again.
twilly
AG
Lucas was using the Special Editions as a science project. He was testing out new technologies and digital characters to see if it could be scaled up for other movies, including the prequels, which he was secretly creating/writing at that time. He tried different things and some worked and others....

But while he was messing around with the movies, he went ahead and reworked some of the scenes just to clean them up. The Jabba scene was a test on blending a human actor with a digital creation. Remember the original Jabba from 1976 was a fat guy with a Scottish accent in a fur coat.
SeattleAgJr
twilly said:

Lucas was using the Special Editions as a science project. He was testing out new technologies and digital characters to see if it could be scaled up for other movies, including the prequels, which he was secretly creating/writing at that time. He tried different things and some worked and others....

But while he was messing around with the movies, he went ahead and reworked some of the scenes just to clean them up. The Jabba scene was a test on blending a human actor with a digital creation. Remember the original Jabba from 1976 was a fat guy with a Scottish accent in a fur coat.
it does not mean he had to include it in the released film.
the wonky step on the tail was horrible. even for the re-release.
TCTTS
AG
I would do anything for 4K remastered Blu-rays of the original trilogy, pre special editions. I'm fine with leaving the clean-up of certain shots/sequences that were done with the SEs - like the removal of ugly outlines and other residue - but otherwise there is not a single special effect added I'd want to keep.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll always defend the ESB SE. The look and feel of Cloud City was vastly improved, and Luke doesn't scream as he falls down the shaft.

I know I say this a lot, but damn, it really is the perfect movie.
AliasMan02
AG
twilly said:

But he wasn't writing the prequels. I don't doubt that he tinkered and had ideas, but he quite famously didn't deliver a first draft of TPM until after production for that film had started, and it was only like 40 pages long.

This isn't unique to Lucas, as TFA basically didn't have a script when it started shooting, either, but what's so damning about Lucas's tinkering is how he so often changed his story about everything.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Would it be cool if gambling on podraces was a big part of the Boba Fett movie?

Some deadbeat can't pay off Jabba, who sends Boba to settle the debt.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Makes me start to think about how cool a more "underground" podracing set up could be. Not a big public event, something more like unsanctioned boxing in a seedy enviroment.

Ag Since 83
AG
Finally got around to finishing Last Shot last night. Didn't care for it overall as it was pretty confusing/hard to follow, but they did bring it all together in the final chapters in a way that made sense. But the main word I would use to describe it is "weird." Han and Lando vs A Blofeld type villain. Or maybe a Kingsman knock off of Blofeld
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's a Greedo job. Boba Fett jobs are when you need about 10 guys to infiltrate a place and steal some **** but you only have 1 guy capable of doing it.

Would love Boba Fett movie to be in the vein of Captain America: Civil War with Han Solo as the antagonist to Fett. Even start it off wih them both working for Jabba on a job, even some genuine camraderie before things go south.

Is Temeura Morrison going to play Fett? I remember the horrible Michae B Jordan rumor from long ago.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Is Temeura Morrison going to play Fett?
I hope so, for the sake of continuity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That gives me another idea. What if there's some other clones that are still around, and they're basically his personal gang? (They'd have to be much older due to the growth acceleration.)
Flashdiaz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That gives me another idea. What if there's some other clones that are still around, and they're basically his personal gang? (They'd have to be much older due to the growth acceleration.)
or better yet, make it so one of the clones dies in ROTJ. Would explain why he got beat by a blind man.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jason Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll always defend the ESB SE. The look and feel of Cloud City was vastly improved, and Luke doesn't scream as he falls down the shaft.

There were a few bright spots for sure. It might be cool if they tested new tech etc by reworking some old scenes and putting them in the special features or let you choose to watch with or without. Like a juiced full blow version of this.

Farmer1906
AG
Jason Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

There were a few bright spots for sure. It might be cool if they tested new tech etc by reworking some old scenes and putting them in the special features or let you choose to watch with or without. Like a juiced full blow version of this.

I would be 100% in for that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ulrich
Without reviewing the film, the only changes I would make to that fight would be removing Obi-Wan's sad slow spin and making that one odd wiggling feint look more like an adult with a sword than a small child afraid to touch a goat at the petting zoo.

I don't mind a deliberate, cerebral old man fight as long as it is dramatic rather than comical.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Whoever made this on redditt.....thank you...thank you...thank you!!!!!!!

I love TLJ now.

samurai_science
I wish shrek had died like that, might have made it a little better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
Interesting interview with Kevin Kiner (composer for TCW & Rebels). One thing that stood out to me is this part:

Quote:

What was it about "Ezra's Theme" that made it so Star Wars-y for you?

I could have sworn it was a John Williams cue. And then I was thinking, I know his Star Wars music pretty well and I was pretty sure it wasn't a Star Wars cue, so I started thinking maybe it was from E.T. or Superman or Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park. That's why I had to call a bunch of composer friends of mine. It just felt like something John would write. Which, ugh, I guess I'm complimenting myself. But, whatever.

Are cues from this not right out of ANH, particularly right at the 40 second mark to about 1:20 & then the force theme & Leia's theme following shortly thereafter.
AliasMan02
AG
SUPER similar to Leia's theme.
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02 said:

SUPER similar to Leia's theme.

Well, then, I don't get what his point is here then, unless the theme part for Ezra is just the opening.

I think Kevin's best work for Rebels is Sabine's theme.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
CJS4715 said:

Interesting interview with Kevin Kiner (composer for TCW & Rebels). One thing that stood out to me is this part:

Quote:

What was it about "Ezra's Theme" that made it so Star Wars-y for you?

I could have sworn it was a John Williams cue. And then I was thinking, I know his Star Wars music pretty well and I was pretty sure it wasn't a Star Wars cue, so I started thinking maybe it was from E.T. or Superman or Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park. That's why I had to call a bunch of composer friends of mine. It just felt like something John would write. Which, ugh, I guess I'm complimenting myself. But, whatever.

Are cues from this not right out of ANH, particularly right at the 40 second mark to about 1:20 & then the force theme & Leia's theme following shortly thereafter.

Yeah that's basically:
1. New music for the first 39 seconds, then....

2. A copy of the windchime / harp glissando into "07. Landspeeder Search/Attack Of The Sandpeople" at 2:37

3. Followed by the French Horns, Flutes, and Oboes of the same song above but from 2:13

4. Then a string for string copy of the intro to "08. Tales Of A Jedi Knight/Learn About The Force*"

5. But instead of leading into the Force Theme like Track 08 above it leads back into Track 07 from #2-#3 above

6. Which then dissolves into a new-music transition into "The Force Theme" on Trumpet

7. And then rolls right into "14. Princess Leia's Theme" at 1:30

So yeah I'd say you've heard 70% of that song before!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://v.redd.it/6gdwm95pyz111
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://v.redd.it/6gdwm95pyz111
TCTTS
AG
I know a lot of you hated her character - I wasn't a huge fan either - but this is f*cked up. Between this and Kennedy's birthday tweet having to be taken down due to harassment and negativity, Star Wars fans might have just overtaken DC/Snyder fans as the worst fans on the internet. It's legitimately sad and embarrassing at this point...

The Collective
AG
Not shocked to see that. I wonder if it will scare off potential actors in the future.
Saul Goodman
AG
What's even dumber is that she had zero control over the Rose storyline. She just acted out the lines she was given (and I think she did a pretty good job). The Rose/Finn story thread was easily the worst part of TLJ and my major complaint for the movie. Her performance had nothing to do with that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Celebration 2019 tickets go on sale at Noon CT today. Anyone else gonna be attending?

This will be my first con of ANY kind, so I'm pretty excited.
First Page Last Page
Page 718 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.