Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,416 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's what I've been thinking lately as well. Especially after Solo's poor box offie performance, I don't think we're getting a direct sequel. Then again, that may have never been the plan, as you alluded. Either way, the Boba Fett movie will likely be some kind of Fett/Solo/Hutt/Tatooine thing (the BvS comparison is a good one), and if there's a Lando movie, that one will likely at least see a Solo appearance as well obviously, fulfilling Ehrenreich's three picture deal. Then yeah, of course Maul in Kenobi in some capacity.
TCTTS
AG
With a Boba Fett movie back on the table, here's what I'm thinking schedule-wise...

2019: Star Wars: Episode IX
2020: Untitled Kenobi: A Star Wars Story
2021: Untitled Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story
2022: Untitled Rian Johnson SW Movie Part 1
2023: Untitled Benioff & Weiss SW Movie Part 1

That said, there's so much in development at this point, it's hard to say. The only reason I put Boba Fett before Rain Johnson's movie is because it sounds like Mangold's idea for his movie is potentially further along, and is likely at least loosely based on the work that's already been done before and during Josh Trank's brief directing tenure. Though, 2022 does seem like way too long from now for Johnson to develop, write, and shoot his movie, so who knows. Regardless, I'm really hoping Disney announces some kind of "five year plan" at some point this year, as this is the first time in years we haven't officially known what's coming past the next year (as Kenobi still hasn't even been officially announced).
amercer
AG
For all the borderline insanity from the different fan factions, the reason Solo isn't doing well is 1) no one really wanted it and 2) the reviews have been blah.

I love Star Wars and I might get around to seeing Solo in the next couple of weeks. A Boba Fett movie? I'd probably just wait for that to be on HBO.

I'd be more excited for Kenobi, but just because Evan is a good actor. Disney needs to go all in on new stories with new characters and let the chips fall where they may. Iron Man was probably the 20th most popular comic book character when the MCU got started, but good acting and great story telling go a long way. Or you go the other direction and do another fantastic 4 reboot....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Updated the OP with all we know so far. Did I miss anything?

***** UPCOMING MOVIES/SERIES *****

Star Wars: Episode IX - December 20, 2019

Rian Johnson trilogy film series - TBA

Beinoff & Weiss film series - TBA

Obi-Wan standalone movie - TBA

Boba Fett standalone movie - TBA

Lando standalone movie - TBA

Jon Favreau live-action TV series - TBA
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Updated the OP with all we know so far. Did I miss anything?

***** UPCOMING MOVIES/SERIES *****

Star Wars: Episode IX - December 20, 2019

Rian Johnson trilogy series - TBA

Beinoff & Weiss series - TBA

Obi-Wan standalone movie - TBA

Boba Fett standalone movie - TBA

Lando standalone movie - TBA

Jon Favreau live-action series - TBA
The Lando movie was not confirmed, just a rumor, or mistranslation at Cannes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
At this point. I'm thinking Celebration will be used as a dumping ground for the full schedule of the next few years.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Lando movie wouldn't do. Lando is a great second-tier character. you see his best and his worst.

I guess I'm not a Hollywood guy, but how do you determine a movie's box office is disappointing when it made $100 million in 4 days and will be in the theaters for the next 2-3 months, with kids getting out of school next week to see it in droves?
amercer
AG
It cost 250 to make, another 100 to market, and sure fire hits like Star Wars need to cover for occasional 200 million dollar losers like Wrinkle in Time.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
So, it's already been determined what it's final box office take will be based on the first 4 days?
AliasMan02
AG
Kennedy talked about a Lando movie, fwiw.
twilly
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Kennedy talked about a Lando movie, fwiw.
And Lucasfilm issued a statement saying that was a misquote,

http://ew.com/movies/2018/05/16/lucasfilm-lando-standalone-star-wars-film/

Quote:

Did Kennedy just slip, or was something lost in translation during the interview? Here's what Lucasfilm told EW on Wednesday when I checked in to ask, Is this for real?

"No," a studio rep responded. "Premiere has now corrected their article. It was a misunderstanding. She said it's something she'd like to do one day in the future."
amercer
AG
I think it's kind of reliable, yes. 2-3x the opening weekend in general.
TCTTS
AG
Which was then walked back.

I would break it up into three tiers...

OFFICIALLY ANNOUCNED:
- Star Wars: Episode IX
- Untitled Rian Jonson Trilogy
- Untitled Benioff & Weiss Movie Series
- Untitled Jon Favreau Live-Action TV Series

DEFINITELY IN DEVELOPMENT, BUT NOT OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED:
- Untitled Kenobi: A Star Wars Story
- Untitled Boba Fett: A Star Wars Story

SPECULATIVE/MIGHT HAPPEN ONE DAY:
- Untitled Lando: A Star Wars Story
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

At this point. I'm thinking Celebration will be used as a dumping ground for the full schedule of the next few years.

Seems like the best play, and you're probably right. Seeing as that's not 'til April 2019, though, I guess they could announce Obi-Wan in a press release sometime this year, then announce the rest of the slate at Celebration next year.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Solo 2: Serpent Society
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Fast and the Solo: Tatooine Drift
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Fast and the Solo: Tatooine Drift
You got to come up with some new material outside of Tokyo Drift.
twilly
AG
Come on guys...obvious sequel title:

DUO: A Star Wars Story
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Solo 2: Electric Jabbaloo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So... what's the official viewing order now?
RebAg13
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

See you in 17 pages
Flashdiaz
AG
order of release.

done.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Rogue One, ANH, ESB, ROTJ

and, done.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Regular" order:
I, II, III, Solo, RO, IV, V, VI, TFA, TLJ

Flashback order:
Solo, RO, IV, V, I, II, III, VI, TFA, TLJ

Han Flashback order:
RO, IV, V, I, II, III, VI, TFA, Solo, TLJ

Release order (Which is not practical in any way):
IV, V, VI, I, II, III, TFA, RO, TLJ, Solo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have to say I was always a fan of the Flashback order. (Something which I have yet to do myself, but I like in theory.)

So, on the same note, I like the Han Flashback order. Same as the Flashback order, but we add Solo as a flashback after his death in TFA. It also contextualizes Han's dice in TLJ really nicely.
TCTTS
AG
I dig Han Flashback Order save for one thing: a newbie can't come into the franchise via Rogue One. It's not representative enough of the franchise as a whole. It HAS to be with Luke. So for now I'd amend it slightly...

IV, RO, V, I, II, III, VI, VII, Solo, VIII, IX

That said, when all is said and done (in terms of the Skywalker-universe films), Kenobi might actually end up being the best starter, as it will likely feature a child Luke, even if only from afar, and Obi-Wan is such a good anchor. So, let's say we get Kenobi and then a Solo sequel in the form of a Boba Fett spin-off. What's the ultimate order at that point?

Something like this...

Kenobi, RO, IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII, Solo, Boba Fett, VIII, IX

... or this...

Kenobi, Solo, Boba Fett, RO, IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII, VIII, IX

... ???

Technically, in terms of live action, we'll also be able to throw in Favreau's TV series between VI and VII, but I'm sticking with just movies for now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I remember you had once posted about the spinoffs being their own sort of trilogy, right?

I'm starting to think you might have been onto something, actually. (Though it might end up being 5 movies.)

After they all come out, they might end up telling a nice, complete storyline that covers that 10 year period really nicely.

Solo -> Fett -> Lando -> Obi-Wan -> Rogue One

At that point, those can be treated as their own independent "series".
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I can definitely see that. Still curious where Obi-Wan is going to fall in that order, though. I could see it where you have it, or I could see it taking place just before/after Solo as well. My guess is closer to Solo because of McGregor's age.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, maybe so. The great thing about the Kenobi movie is they could do basically anything they want with it. Endless possibilities within ~20 years.
Ulrich
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, maybe so. The great thing about the Kenobi movie is they could do basically anything they want with it. Endless possibilities within ~20 years.

This is by far the one I'm most excited about because his origin story is already done. They're almost forced to give us a new story instead of making another "explain all the OT references" easter egg hunt.
AverageJones
AG
Unless it's just a story about how Obi-Wan got very specific memories erased so he doesn't seem to remember ever owning a droid
SeattleAgJr
AverageJones said:

Unless it's just a story about how Obi-Wan got very specific memories erased so he doesn't seem to remember ever owning a droid
did he ever own a droid?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

AverageJones said:

did he ever own a droid?
Exactly. R5 was just a droid on loan from the Jedi Order. And he never owned R2 or C3P0.

So, from a certain point of view, he was being very precise in his answer.
Flashdiaz
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

AverageJones said:

did he ever own a droid?
I never owned a kegerator in college but that doesn't mean one wasn't in my apartment.
TCTTS
AG
Not even the majority writer of the OT *****foots around his disdain for the prequels...

First Page Last Page
Page 717 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.