Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,796 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

- Luke considering murder of Ben Solo; WAY out of character

I know this has already been debated, but I don't get the argument on this one being so implausible. Good people consider terrible things, especially when it could potentially save their life's work. Luke still resisted, but there were grave consequences for his consideration.

It's also not without precedent. Luke willingly fell to the Dark Side under the tutelage of the resurrected Emperor in the old EU, which is way worse. There is a lot of crossover between the most passionate TLJ haters and EU lovers, so to me it's a little discordant.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

CJS4715 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

- Luke considering murder of Ben Solo; WAY out of character

I know this has already been debated, but I don't get the argument on this one being so implausible. Good people consider terrible things, especially when it could potentially save their life's work. Luke still resisted, but there were grave consequences for his consideration.

It's also not without precedent. Luke willingly fell to the Dark Side under the tutelage of the resurrected Emperor in the old EU, which is way worse. There is a lot of crossover between the most passionate TLJ haters and EU lovers, so to me it's a little discordant.
You may be on to something here...

I prefer the EU version of Luke Skywalker as the Jedi Master who restored his vision of the Jedi Order, married Mara Jade Skywalker, and had Ben Skywalker as a son and had MANY MANY adventures as a Jedi, pilot, and do-gooder. He may have had some flaws as a younger man, but eventually repented and became a mentor, leader, and trusted hero-legend of the New Republic.

This version of a scared old hermit, just wanting to live out his days peacefully without regard to the evils in the Galaxy takes some getting used to...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Re: Luke considering killing Ben

I think that is the key word here. Luke immediately regretted his actions not two seconds later. THAT was certainly in character for Luke, and validated him in my eyes. As already mentioned, let's not forget that Luke gave into his anger when fighting Vader the second time, and had to stop himself from killing Vader. But he DID give into it for at least a portion of that fight.

What makes Luke Luke is teetering on the edge of dark side, and stopping himself before it's too late. If there's zero temptation, what is the point?

Even Obi-Wan did questionable things in his life, things he wrestled with. (And I am hoping this is the kind of thing we see more of in his spinoff movie.)

My $0.02.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Star Wars superfandom breaks into two camps, imo:

The first group demands adherence to a certain, often unwritten, interpretation of the classic trilogy. Change is unwanted and unwelcome, like those comic book fans who railed against the black uniforms of the X-Men. The beloved characters must remain the same over the years. Traditional alien races should be prominently featured. Stories should be pulled from existing works. It's poetry, and it should rhyme.

Even when new depictions follow the existing material in justifiable and logical ways, if it violates a sort of communal headcanon, it's unacceptable. As one example, people freak out about Space Leia and decry it as an affront to Star Wars fans everywhere. When Johnson points out that Leia's Force abilities are merely the fulfillment of what Luke told her in RotJ ("in time you'll learn to use it as I have"), it doesn't matter because it conflicts with the existing view of Leia when we last saw her.

This group has little interest in Star Wars tales that don't include a Skywalker or tie directly to the OT in some way.

The second group loves the original material but views the new as interesting and exciting. Likes seeing new twists on old ideas and growing concepts to fit a modern telling. Many in this group were not raised during the original run of the OT and identify more broadly with a larger Star Wars universe that includes things other than the three classic films.

This is the group who is looking forward to Episode IX, but also (and maybe more so) in taking the franchise into new eras and far-flung parts of the galaxy. It thinks that closing the book on the Skywalkers is good for the franchise and that the best may yet lie ahead. Star Wars is about more than the OT and can grow beyond it.
I guess I fall into your second group. I was 9 when Star Wars first came out, so I grew up on the OT. I spent a lot of years imagining what episodes 1 - 3 might look like, and in some cases, the prequels came pretty close to what I imagined. Other than Timothy Zahn's books (Heir to the Empire, etc), I never really gave much thought to any sequel trilogies largely because I considered Star Wars (the arc started in the OT) to be the story of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, which was told rather well in 6 films and ended with his death in Return of the Jedi.

When Revenge of the Sith came out, I was pretty much done with Star Wars. I never expected to see another new Star Wars movie. But when Lucas sold the rights to Disney and Disney announced Episode VII, I was on board. The Force Awakens was a fun movie, and set up what appeared to be a good story that tied in Darth Vader through his grandson, but the movie itself was too safe. While watching it the first time, I remember thinking, well, Rey is in the Obi-Wan role right here, slinking around unnoticed through an [Imperial] outpost just as Kenobi did on the first Death Star. We even had another X-Wing trench run. Still, I enjoyed the movie pretty well, better than Episodes 1 - 2 in fact, and had all kinds of expectations for Episode XIII.

Episode XIII comes along, and Rian Johnson threw all of my expectations out the window. Okay, he can do whatever he wishes as he is the director, I am simply a fan with no role at all in the making of the movie. That does not mean, however, that I cannot voice my disappointment over what he did with The Last Jedi. There were some really good moments, sure, but the bad in that movie really outweighed by far all of the good. And I never could get over this thought - at no time in the OT did I ever really feel like Luke Skywalker was this bad ass who was going to walk into the second Death Star and wreck shop. He was an untested Jedi in training who found a way to survive his first encounter with Darth Vader (Vader was not going to kill him, but Luke didn't know that). There was an unknown amount of time passing during his training on Dagobah, and then months passed between the end of Empire and the beginning of Jedi. Yet here we have Rey in The Force Awakens, learning that she has Jedi abilities but never having had any training (as far as we know), and The Last Jedi opens literally seconds after The Force Awakens ends, and what, a day or two passes during her "training" with Luke, and now she's able to march into Snoke's lair like a bad ass?

The two spin off movies have been fantastic. I loved Rogue One to the tune of ranking it my third favorite Star Wars movie (behind Empire and A New Hope). Solo was a whole lot of fun, and I thought the actors did a great job with established roles (particularly Lando). The pansexual thing was nothing but a bunch of garbage. Nothing in the Solo movie would have even made he have a question about Lando's sexual preferences had it not been for the commentaries on the topic prior to its release. It has already been established that some people in the Star Wars universe have formed good relationships with their droids, perhaps not on a sexual basis, but look at Luke and R2. Why would it be unusual that Lando cares for his droid (which as a character I found a bit annoying but nothing more)?

Back to Johnson. I understand that Disney has given him an entire trilogy. I rank The Last Jedi as my least favorite Star Wars movie, but nevertheless I'll go into his trilogy with an open mind. Maybe he'll actually make a movie (or series) that I enjoy when he's not fettered with expectations set by the previous movie and is therefore free to take his story wherever he wishes.

Kathleen Kennedy. I don't know what to make of her. She has been a producer on many of my favorite movies. But did I read something somewhere that stated that the entire Star Wars story group is comprised of women? If so, I guess it's not surprising that we must then see subtle or not so subtle infusions of gender stuff in these movies. Not sure why that needs to be a thing. Leia was a strong female character right from the get-go. Admiral Holdo was a mostly worthless character; Rose was the worst character ever put into a Star Wars movie. We don't need Earthly politics in Star Wars movies; these movies exist in a galaxy far, far away? It seems reasonable to assume there would not be some XLBGQwhatevertheF** lobby in that galaxy. I don't know that she should be fired from her current position, but I do wish that she would remove the political crap from these movies.

I am a fan of Star Wars. I love the OT and the PT. I love the spin offs. I am lukewarm on the ST. I will always go see Star Wars movies, but I have to wonder, if TLJ is any indication, will I ever get another Star Wars movie that blows me away?
Ulrich
True enough that production issues don't necessarily impact the "soul" of the franchise.

But when the discussion turns into "is Disney mismanaging the franchise", which (right or wrong) that's what the discussion had become, I think it's absolutely relevant. You said yourself, it impacts the marketing and the pre-release word of mouth. Repeatedly having to remake movies at the last minute doesn't lend itself to making great movies.
AliasMan02
AG
Ulrich said:

True enough that production issues don't necessarily impact the "soul" of the franchise.

But when the discussion turns into "is Disney mismanaging the franchise", which (right or wrong) that's what the discussion had become, I think it's absolutely relevant. You said yourself, it impacts the marketing and the pre-release word of mouth. Repeatedly having to remake movies at the last minute doesn't lend itself to making great movies.

The biggest reason I have to hope for better production in the future is twofold:

- removing Trevorrow before production began on Ep IX. I think that just a few years ago, Lucasfilm would have been content to let him "figure it out" on the job, but they have learned their lesson.

- assigning creative "godfathers" to oversee production of future trilogies. I think this shows growth and learning in regards to better planning of overall arcs.

But you're right. The trouble on previous films is definitely not awesome.
bangobango
AG
Belton Ag said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

bangobango said:

I've never seen the pure disdain for a large portion of the fan base like what Disney has shown for star wars fans.

How exactly is the company Disney doing this?

I must have missed the official Disney company released that labeled fans who didn't like TLJ as "bigots."

Abrams was unfazed. "'Star Wars' is a big galaxy, and you can sort of find almost anything you want to in 'Star Wars,'" he said. "If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in 'Star Wars.' You can probably look at the first movie that George [Lucas] did ['Star Wars: A New Hope'] and say that Leia was too outspoken, or she was too tough. Anyone who wants to find a problem with anything can find the problem. The internet seems to be made for that."
And this is Disney calling people bigots? That's quite a leap.

It's one example that took thirty seconds to dig up. There are numerous other ones out there.
Belton Ag
AG
bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

bangobango said:

I've never seen the pure disdain for a large portion of the fan base like what Disney has shown for star wars fans.

I must have missed the official Disney company released that labeled fans who didn't like TLJ as "bigots."

Abrams was unfazed. "'Star Wars' is a big galaxy, and you can sort of find almost anything you want to in 'Star Wars,'" he said. "If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in 'Star Wars.' You can probably look at the first movie that George [Lucas] did ['Star Wars: A New Hope'] and say that Leia was too outspoken, or she was too tough. Anyone who wants to find a problem with anything can find the problem. The internet seems to be made for that."

It's one example that took thirty seconds to dig up. There are numerous other ones out there.
I think you should take more than 30 seconds to dig stuff up, because the evidence you're providing doesn't support your position very well.
Ulrich
Good points, and I hope you're right. I still don't see myself paying to watch another Rian Johnson movie, but I'm very hopeful for the next Abrams movie and hopefully word of mouth changes my mind on RJ.
Flashdiaz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

- assigning creative "godfathers" to oversee production of future trilogies. I think this shows growth and learning in regards to better planning of overall arcs.

to me this is the biggest misstep Kathleen Kennedy has done. How do you not have a framework for a trilogy that is supposed to launch many new movies, shows, channels and theme parks?

I am glad they've corrected this and i'm actually looking forward to Ep. 9.
bangobango
AG
Belton Ag said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

bangobango said:

I think you should take more than 30 seconds to dig stuff up, because the evidence you're providing doesn't support your position very well.

How does a direct quote from the director of two star wars movie saying people who don't like TLJ are threatened by strong women not support my point that Disney's reaction to fan criticism is to call fans sexists and bigots?

You realize corporations aren't actually people. Right? And the way we deduce what the corporation "thinks" or "says" is by listening to what the high level employees and representatives say? Right?
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

AliasMan02 said:

to me this is the biggest misstep Kathleen Kennedy has done. How do you not have a framework for a trilogy that is supposed to launch many new movies, shows, channels and theme parks?

I am glad they've corrected this and i'm actually looking forward to Ep. 9.

Agree. I'd like to see a documentary on the takeover of Lucasfilm through release of TFA. I wonder if it wasn't a bit rushed to market. And to be fair, that's how all the prequels were done so it might have just been how they did business.
bangobango
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nobody owes you an apology for not liking a movie. Did Lucas ever apologize to you for the prequels?

You are the epitome of a millennial snowflake. (And I don't even know your age.)

If you don't like what they're putting out, stop watching the movies and move on with your life.

So, basic customer service is a millennial thing now? I learned a long time ago anybody that buys in to generational shaming and/or uses snowflake is not worth taking seriously. Not surprised you eat this crap up.
The Collective
AG
My frustration with Disney - when are we going to get an A-T-A-T vs. AT-AT joke in a film? Let's make it happen!
fig96
AG
bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

bangobango said:

How does a direct quote from the director of two star wars movie saying people who don't like TLJ are threatened by strong women not support my point that Disney's reaction to fan criticism is to call fans sexists and bigots?

You realize corporations aren't actually people. Right? And the way we deduce what the corporation "thinks" or "says" is by listening to what the high level employees and representatives say? Right?
Unless that was in direct response to "what do you think of people who say they didn't like The Last Jedi" that isn't what he said.

Sounds much more like a commentary on internet fandom/venting/vitriol to me, which is pretty spot on.

Flashdiaz
AG
bangobango said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nobody owes you an apology for not liking a movie. Did Lucas ever apologize to you for the prequels?

You are the epitome of a millennial snowflake. (And I don't even know your age.)

If you don't like what they're putting out, stop watching the movies and move on with your life.

So, basic customer service is a millennial thing now? I learned a long time ago anybody that buys in to generational shaming and/or uses snowflake is not worth taking seriously. Not surprised you eat this crap up.
responding to mean tweets is not customer service. Many people liked the movie, many people didn't. It's what happens.

I read the quote you posted from Abram's about strong women and I didn't take that as an attack on Star Wars fans at all. He was just stating that strong women have always been a part of star wars.
bangobango
AG
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

The screen writers response to people being upset that Lando's "pansexuality" is being wedged into a movie most people enjoy taking their kids to go see. There were numerous similar dismissive statements and tweets by Rian Johnson and other Disney reps after The Last Jedi.
There were no scenes in this movie where Lando tried to take a gay lover or where he tried to screw his robot. There was some sexual tension between the robot and Lando that was played up as humor as the robot was clearly misreading Lando's fondness for her as a sexual attraction.

I get the annoying tweet but what matters is what's on the screen, not what some leftist wants to say on his own twitter feed.

I figured it was probably something similar to that, like what I heard the Beauty and the Beast gay thing was supposed to be.

It's the attitude of these guys that pisses me off more than anything. To me that annoying tweet does matter. It's insulting. These guys aren't guaranteed my money. If I these guys come across like you're an idiot because you may have concerns about Lando being portrayed as a pansexual in a movie they Know a lot of parents will take their kids to see, well then screw you and your movie, you know?

I was planning on not seeing Solo or episode nine in the theater ever since I saw TLJ, but that tweet just reaffirmed my decision.

Y'all are right, this isn't "my franchise." I'm also not obligated to go see it or say nice things about it. They want to market to kids by pissing off the parents who pay and take their kids to the movies, then good luck with that. My three boys won't be seeing those movies anytime soon. The evidence suggests I am not alone in this sentiment.
bangobango
AG
Flashdiaz said:

bangobango said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

responding to mean tweets is not customer service. Many people liked the movie, many people didn't. It's what happens.

I read the quote you posted from Abram's about strong women and I didn't take that as an attack on Star Wars fans at all. He was just stating that strong women have always been a part of star wars.

It was a direct quote in response to a question about strong fan criticism of the TLJ.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Do you even realize how ridiculous and whiny you sound? I wonder.
bangobango
AG
fig96 said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

Flashdiaz said:

bangobango said:

Unless that was in direct response to "what do you think of people who say they didn't like The Last Jedi" that isn't what he said.

Sounds much more like a commentary on internet fandom/venting/vitriol to me, which is pretty spot on.

Here is more background on the quote

Asked by IndieWire about pushback from "Star Wars" fans who decried Rian Johnson's film for its focus on more female-centric stories (bolstered by the edition of franchise newbies like Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran), Abrams was clear: "Their problem isn't 'Star Wars,' their problem is being threatened."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indiewire.com/2018/02/jj-abrams-star-wars-last-jedi-women-1201929593/amp/
bangobango
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Do you even realize how ridiculous and whiny you sound? I wonder.

You realize how much of a shill you sound?
fig96
AG
So his response to people who said they didn't like TLJ because they were more female centric stories was "If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in 'Star Wars' " and that's unreasonable?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You clearly don't read my posts. I've stated multiple times that I respect other fans' opinions on the movies. Everyone is entitled to love or hate these movies.

It's the people trying to convince everyone that only their point of view is the right now that are ridiculous. You are posting nothing but hatred and vitriol on this thread, for what purpose?

It's abundantly clear that you hate the new movies and are only here to criticize those who enjoy them.
Flashdiaz
AG
bangobango said:

Belton Ag said:

Quote:

The screen writers response to people being upset that Lando's "pansexuality" is being wedged into a movie most people enjoy taking their kids to go see. There were numerous similar dismissive statements and tweets by Rian Johnson and other Disney reps after The Last Jedi.
There were no scenes in this movie where Lando tried to take a gay lover or where he tried to screw his robot. There was some sexual tension between the robot and Lando that was played up as humor as the robot was clearly misreading Lando's fondness for her as a sexual attraction.

I get the annoying tweet but what matters is what's on the screen, not what some leftist wants to say on his own twitter feed.

I figured it was probably something similar to that, like what I heard the Beauty and the Beast gay thing was supposed to be.

It's the attitude of these guys that pisses me off more than anything. To me that annoying tweet does matter. It's insulting. These guys aren't guaranteed my money. If I these guys come across like you're an idiot because you may have concerns about Lando being portrayed as a pansexual in a movie they Know a lot of parents will take their kids to see, well then screw you and your movie, you know?

I was planning on not seeing Solo or episode nine in the theater ever since I saw TLJ, but that tweet just reaffirmed my decision.

Y'all are right, this isn't "my franchise." I'm also not obligated to go see it or say nice things about it. They want to market to kids by pissing off the parents who pay and take their kids to the movies, then good luck with that. My three boys won't be seeing those movies anytime soon. The evidence suggests I am not alone in this sentiment.
don't want to spoil Solo for anyone, but Lando does not screw his droid.

I took my boys to see it. I did not read them tweets about Lando's sexuality.

whew, that was easy.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

You do realize that one or two people don't represent an entire corporation, right? And that what this person said doesn't necessarily equate to calling you a bigot, right? And you do realize that this direct quote you provided was said in response to the blowback by some people over making Star Wars more "female-centric," right? And that Abrams wasn't calling people bigots for simply not liking TLJ, right? Right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dude, you have to take these quotes out of context. That's the only way this works. Get with the program.
bangobango
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You clearly don't read my posts. I've stated multiple times that I respect other fans' opinions on the movies. Everyone is entitled to love or hate these movies.

It's the people trying to convince everyone that only their point of view is the right now that are ridiculous. You are posting nothing but hatred and vitriol on this thread, for what purpose?

It's abundantly clear that you hate the new movies and are only here to criticize those who enjoy them.

Where have I tried to convince anybody to hate the movies? I posted that Solo was bombing and I was hoping Kennedy and Johnson would get fired. First response calls me an idiot (I later get called out for saying the same posters later post is ridiculous). Subsequent posts were equally insulting.

You yourself have called me numerous names on this thread because you don't think I should be upset with how Disney is handling this franchise. I've never once said anything about people liking TLJ or Solo or going to see the movies. Never said anybody here should boycott or not see any movies.

Ive responded to personal attacks by people like you that get personally offended I don't like the guys in charge of the franchise right now.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

You're probably not alone, but I don't see the evidence to support the theory that Solo is "tanking" because of this reason.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You post almost nothing of substance in this thread, ever, except criticism of Disney/Lucasfilm and criticism of other posters.

Someone makes a long, well-thought out post, and all you do is call it ridiculous instead of giving your own thoughts which explain why.

Listen, I called you names and I apologize if it's offended you, it's just hard to deal with a bombardment of these kinds of posts.

Again, you have your reasons for hating the new movies, but maybe try making more constructive posts, and maybe stop posting quotes that are taken completely out of context to support your claims that the Lucasfilm brass are calling you sexist or a bigot.
amercer
AG
Sounds like this place is humming along like normal..

I haven't seen Solo yet. Should I take the kids (10, 6) ? They loved TLJ (sorry haters), but I got in trouble after taking them to black panther because it was too intense.
Urban Ag
AG
By all means take both kids. Solo is a very light PG13.

And my 12 year old declared it's the best SW movie yet. Now, I like it, a lot, but I'm not willing to go that far.

Urban Ag
AG
So I got caught up on this thread after the long weekend and literally my face hurts after reading the last couple of pages. That said, I see both sides of the argument I'm just not invested enough one way or the other.

It is a fact that Disney planned on infusing some degree of social activism in to these films. From directors to writers to execs, they've said it themselves. And it is also true that said activism has been used as a defense against many of the (legitimate) critiques of these films. But such is life. When did you stop beating your wife?

And I can see how that can be very frustrating for some people. For example, I love both the characters Rey and Jin, and have no problems at all with them having lead roles. I absolutely loved R1 but only find TFA and TLJ to be mediocre films. It has nothing to do with women having the leads. If it did, how could I be so pro R1?

For the other perspective, I honestly do find the level of vitriol astounding. None of these movies are terrible. Even the prequels are well made films, I just can't let the cheesiness go without comment. But damn, some of you need to lighten the F up and get on with your lives.

bearamedic99
AG
Urban Ag said:

But damn, some of you need to lighten the F up and get on with your lives.

nailed it.
wangus12
AG
They need to skip the Boba Fett movie and go do Kenobi.

Boba already has a movie

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A lot of people have been saying Solo sets up a sequel, but I sort of disagree. I think they're basically going to use it as a launching point for the next 3 spinoff movies. (Provided they all get made.)

• Boba Fett (Han will likely play a large part, after joining Jabba's crew. It's the Solo "sequel" but more of a BvS situation instead of a true sequel.)
  • Lando
  • Obi-Wan Solo spoiler: (Maul/Qi'ra crime syndicate)
First Page Last Page
Page 716 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.