Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,952 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The telling thing will be merchandising sales as well.

Merchandising sales were already decreasing significantly, but with the closure of Toys'R Us, there is not much out there for the impulse shopper. WalMart and Target are not increasing their floor space for mostly unwanted Star Wars toys.

The days of it being a toy gravy train are likely over. There is a lot of money to be made, but not like what it once was.

More pressure will be placed on the movies to be profitable.

As for Kathleen Kennedy... they would keep her around at least through Episode 9 before they would do anything like that, if it came to that. But before they would replace one of the highest ranking women in Hollywood, they would more likely promote someone to Co-level with her.

KK has a LONG history with a LOT of big earning films. She has a lot of goodwill and connections.
AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

Solo tanking for star wars movie this weekend. Kathleen Kennedy gonna get her ass fired/reassigned withing a year.

Y'all keep thinking it was an angry minority that hated TLJ. I said the fallout of that debacle wouldn't be felt until Solo and episode IX. Hopefully whoever takes over for Kennedy runs Rian Johnson out of town, too.

This type of idiocy makes Star Wars fandom almost too toxic to handle. Kennedy isn't going anywhere until she decides to retire. Johnson is also around to stay... the studio loved him and have handed him the most important piece of the Star Wars future. And the hate for TLJ is driven my the tiniest of minorities; most think it is good, not great, but aren't out trying to overturn canon through Twitter asshattery. That whole conversation is driven by trolls who want the EU restored. These are not rational people and their voices matter very, very little. Lucasfilm does not care about RT fan ratings.
Ulrich
A lot of people, even on this board, who don't care about the EU thought TLJ was deeply flawed. The Johnson apologists have seized on the "it's your own fault you didn't like the movie" narrative to avoid having to defend the movie on merit, and they persistently try to minimize the movie's detractors by claiming it's a tiny minority when there's nothing to support that assertion.

You just referred to me and at quite a few other texagers with this quote: "These are not rational people and their voices matter very, very little." My voice may or may not matter, but if they keep Johnson on the trilogy I won't bother going to see them.
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

Solo tanking for star wars movie this weekend. Kathleen Kennedy gonna get her ass fired/reassigned withing a year.

Y'all keep thinking it was an angry minority that hated TLJ. I said the fallout of that debacle wouldn't be felt until Solo and episode IX. Hopefully whoever takes over for Kennedy runs Rian Johnson out of town, too.

This type of idiocy makes Star Wars fandom almost too toxic to handle. Kennedy isn't going anywhere until she decides to retire. Johnson is also around to stay... the studio loved him and have handed him the most important piece of the Star Wars future. And the hate for TLJ is driven my the tiniest of minorities; most think it is good, not great, but aren't out trying to overturn canon through Twitter asshattery. That whole conversation is driven by trolls who want the EU restored. These are not rational people and their voices matter very, very little. Lucasfilm does not care about RT fan ratings.

Was literally about to post something very similar. You hit the nail on the head.

First of all, the franchise is clearly evolving to a point where not every movie needs to break records. This is such a weird sentence to type, but Lucasfilm can afford a couple "mild successes" like Solo while they find their footing with these spin-off movies. Everyone involved has always known there would be growing pains, including the Disney bigwigs.

And yeah, you have absolutely no idea how this industry works if you think Kennedy will be run out within a year. She MIGHT at some point in the next three years or so decide to move on, but if she does it will be on her own accord, that's for sure.

Overall, sure, a couple of these movies have fallen short creatively, but they've made INSANE amounts of money all said and done. That, and merchandising is bigger than it's ever been. Solo underperforming by $20M is a drop in the bucket and changes nothing. It wasn't released at Christmas, but on a holiday summer weekend that has been underperforming for years now, with stiff competition from earlier in the month. Disney knows this, as does any rational person who's not one of these lunatic SW fans who gets irrationally upset while claiming the sky is suddenly falling.

This sh*t really is getting to be so toxic. People saying things like Lady Proxima was "pure trash" and getting so ridiculously upset at Rian Johnson... let me say this as frankly as possible... you sound insane. Again, I get not liking TLJ. Neither did I. And I get thinking Lady Proxima was maybe a little lame (even though I thought she was fine). It's not necessarily your opinions. It's HOW you're expressing those opinions that comes off as juvenile, creepy, and entitled.
fig96
AG
bangobango said:

As mentioned, it was an angry minority. People aren't not seeing Solo because they're mad at Star Wars.

Solo is underperforming due to lack of interest in the film itself and over saturation of Star Wars films. The anticipation for TFA was off the charts, RO was the first standalone film that everyone was anxious to see, and TLJ was the return of Luke Skywalker and THE holiday film to see.

In contrast Solo doesn't have that same "event" feel, not to mention you've got lots of folks that haven't seen Deadpool yet.
fig96
AG
Ulrich said:

A lot of people, even on this board, who don't care about the EU thought TLJ was deeply flawed. The Johnson apologists have seized on the "it's your own fault you didn't like the movie" narrative to avoid having to defend the movie on merit, and they persistently try to minimize the movie's detractors by claiming it's a tiny minority when there's nothing to support that assertion.

You just referred to me and at quite a few other texagers with this quote: "These are not rational people and their voices matter very, very little." My voice may or may not matter, but if they keep Johnson on the trilogy I won't bother going to see them.
There was TONS of discussion by those of us who enjoyed TLJ about why we did, as well as conceding some points about parts of the film that didn't work as well.

Saying "the Johnson apologists have seized on the 'it's your own fault you didn't like the movie' narrative to avoid having to defend the movie on merit" just ignores the actual conversation and doesn't exactly make you seem fair in your opinion of the film from the opposite side.

And when it comes down to it, what you or I think doesn't actually matter. This conversation is a tiny sliver of a small population that's analyzing these films far more than 99% of moviegoers.
The Collective
AG
Rian took risks. I appreciate that, and that's one reason I look forward to him doing a trilogy without so much preexisting baggage.
bangobango
AG
fig96 said:

bangobango said:

As mentioned, it was an angry minority. People aren't not seeing Solo because they're mad at Star Wars.

Solo is underperforming due to lack of interest in the film itself and over saturation of Star Wars films. The anticipation for TFA was off the charts, RO was the first standalone film that everyone was anxious to see, and TLJ was the return of Luke Skywalker and THE holiday film to see.

In contrast Solo doesn't have that same "event" feel, not to mention you've got lots of folks that haven't seen Deadpool yet.

Wrong. The goal tending for these idiots is hilarious.

Star wars saturation? The freaking Avengers came out five weeks after black panther. You seriously going to try to argue saturation when Marvel is cranking out movie after movie and killing it?

People keep whistling past the graveyard, but the money don't lie and the money will force changes. Just watch. Episode nine will bomb opening weekend, too.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

Was literally about to post something very similar. You hit the nail on the head.

First of all, the franchise is clearly evolving to a point where not every movie needs to break records. This is such a weird sentence to type, but Lucasfilm can afford a couple "mild successes" like Solo while they find their footing with these spin-off movies. Everyone involved has always known there would be growing pains, including the Disney bigwigs.

And yeah, you have absolutely no idea how this industry works if you think Kennedy will be run out within a year. She MIGHT at some point in the next three years or so decide to move on, but if she does it will be on her own accord, that's for sure.

Overall, sure, a couple of these movies have fallen short creatively, but they've made INSANE amounts of money all said and done. That, and merchandising is bigger than it's ever been. Solo underperforming by $20M is a drop in the bucket and changes nothing. It wasn't released at Christmas, but on a holiday summer weekend that has been underperforming for years now, with stiff competition from earlier in the month. Disney knows this, as does any rational person who's not one of these lunatic SW fans who gets irrationally upset while claiming the sky is suddenly falling.

This sh*t really is getting to be so toxic. People saying things like Lady Proxima was "pure trash" and getting so ridiculously upset at Rian Johnson... let me say this as frankly as possible... you sound insane. Again, I get not liking TLJ. Neither did I. And I get thinking Lady Proxima was maybe a little lame (even though I thought she was fine). It's not necessarily your opinions. It's HOW you're expressing those opinions that comes off as juvenile, creepy, and entitled.

They paid billions of dollars for the franchise rights. The Solo movie is rumored to have cost 300 million to make. You don't know how this industry works if you don't understand you have to factor in the licensing rights when evaluating whether a movie is a success or not. This movie is a flop so far. Maybe it will get some legs and save itself. But as of today it is a disaster.
AliasMan02
AG
Ulrich said:

Not liking the movie is fine. I was disappointed by it, myself. But what the previous post was asserting wasn't about not liking a movie. It was about a campaign by the minority who HATE not just the movie, but those who created it. That's where talk about getting Kennedy fired stems from. As well as talk about trying to get Johnson canned. This small group of people had made ridiculously complex attempts to magnify their voice, like any marginalized group. They have engaged in campaigns against Star Wars, itself, until a list of their demands are met. DEMANDS. They have created an army of Twitter bots. They flood RT with negative fan reviews/scores. They troll and troll.

You're not one of these guys (I hope), but when you start in on talking points about things like Kennedy getting fired, you're just being taken in by part of their propaganda campaign.

If what was suggested is true, that Lucasfilm is unhappy with Kennedy and she's headed out the door, then why does she have MORE influence and control over Star Wars than she did before TLJ? There is ZERO evidence that the mouse is anything but thrilled with her, the executive team, and the story group. The only thing to support the idea that she might get the axe is internet "chatter" which all comes from the same place, which is the furthest removed and unreliable source possible... the speculation of fanatics.

Maybe I'm wrong and secretly Kennedy is in the doghouse, but until somebody gives some sort of evidence, then I'm going to tune them out and continue to call them irrational and marginalized.
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

Never read a single star wars book. Never watched the cartoons. Did play Old Republic long time ago
Get all my star wars info from this board. Just a regular fan who has three boys. Won't pay another dime in theaters until Disney acknowledges legitimacy of complaints and makes changes at top.
double aught
AG
Quote:

You don't know how this industry works
Lol at this directed at TC
bangobango
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

LOL if you don't think he's ever wrong. It happens.
AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

fig96 said:

bangobango said:

Star wars saturation? The freaking Avengers came out five weeks after black panther. You seriously going to try to argue saturation when Marvel is cranking out movie after movie and killing it?

People keep whistling past the graveyard, but the money don't lie and the money will force changes. Just watch. Episode nine will bomb opening weekend, too.

This is the sort of post/language that TCTTS is talking about sounding petty and juvenile and entitled.

For the record, Solo has underperformed this weekend. It is still the #4 weekend of the year. In all of 2017 it would have been #6, ahead of films like Wonder Woman and Spider-Man.

You sound like a lunatic with a very weird axe to grind.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

Never read a single star wars book. Never watched the cartoons. Did play Old Republic long time ago
Get all my star wars info from this board. Just a regular fan who has three boys. Won't pay another dime in theaters until Disney acknowledges legitimacy of complaints and makes changes at top.

To be clear, you're not going to see a JJ Star Wars movie (the last of which I take it you liked) because you didn't like a Johnson Star Wars movie? Because of the executive in charge of the studio?
wangus12
AG
Not going to see a movie made by a different group of people based on a different set of characters and story is ridiculous. I've grown to not be happy with TLJ because I hated what they did with Luke. That sure as heck didn't stop me from having a ticket on opening night. I love that they are finally expanding the universe to include places that you used to only be able to read about in the novels. Solo is a very good movie and all the people who are boycotting because of TLJ are missing a fantastic inclusion to the universe.

If you don't support the good films, we aren't going to get more
double aught
AG
bangobango said:

double aught said:

Quote:

LOL if you don't think he's ever wrong. It happens.
Did I say that? My point was that to say he doesn't know how the industry works is laughable.
Malachi Constant
AG
Let's go back to talking about how episode IX could be a mega-fan-boy cameo-filled tie-things-up-with-a-bow extravaganza.

A few posts ago someone mentioned Ray giving Lando the millennium falcon back. I can picture a situation where Lando was old but is really rich because after the empire fell he went off and made boatloads of money doing trading.

He becomes the silent benefactor behind the scenes that pays for the resistance to grow.

Then at the end we have a scene with Lando having given all of his money and resources back to the resistance being visited by Ray to give him the falcon.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm not sure Billy Dee has it in him, really. Would hate to drag him out if he's not really into it and in a place where he could really knock it out of the park.

I'd also hate to see Chewie without the Falcon. I used to think he'd die during the trilogy but now I think he'll live on and be a link back down the road. Would also love to see him go back to his family on Kashyyyk.

I do think there is a good chance we see Lando's kid, though. Are we sure Lando is even around? Would he be on the sidelines at this point in the conflict? I guess he could be financing things.
fig96
AG
bangobango said:

fig96 said:

bangobango said:

Nothing is bombing. Solo had the biggest Memorial Day preview of all time and will do $115 million opening weekend. Episode 9 won't bomb either.

Black Panther was the first tent pole minority superhero blockbuster, and Infinity War was the superhero crossover that fans have been waiting years for. They definitely did better because people are mad at Star Wars.
SeattleAgJr
US 4 day now down to $101MM ($83.3 3-day)

International at $65MM

Deadline.com
Contrary to most event pictures, Star Wars movies are not driven by offshore turnstiles. The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi each pulled in less than 55% of their money from overseas. Still, the numbers we're seeing from this debut weekend on a movie that got a massive promotional push at the recent Cannes Film Festival are surprisingly soft and no deflector shield is going to change that.

Disney's worldwide distribution chief Dave Hollis, who is exiting the studio this week after 17 years, allowed that expectations were certainly higher on the movie and said Mouse execs will "spend a lot of time digging into every question in every market to get the answer" to why Solo so under-performed. "We came into the beginning of the year with this one of the most anticipated films. We gotta spend some time looking at the exits and get a better handle on all the questions."

CoachRTM
AG
Solo will be fine. This is the first Star Wars movie I haven't watched on opening weekend. Call it movie fatigue, Star Wars fatigue, or just not having the time..... either way, I'm gonna see it next week.
Malachi Constant
AG
I just realized I'm setting myself up to be extremely disappointed by episode IX.

There are too many things I WANT to see, and unless the movie is 5 hours long I won't see it all.

Furthermore, this is why I didn't like TLJ at first (still don't love it). It's all about my own expectations and what I want to see, not about the story.

Yeah 'cool story bro' on my epiphany
AliasMan02
AG
TLJ has taught me to lower my expectations, for sure. In retrospect, it never could have lived up to my expectations. I went I to Solo just wanting to have fun and had a great time. Gonna try the same for Episode IX. The 18 month break will help as well.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Solo is a very good movie and all the people who are boycotting because of TLJ are missing a fantastic inclusion to the universe.

This. Solo was absolutely fantastic, and people who are upset because of TLJ are really missing out.

Also, I think it's pretty clear now that we should expect a solid Star Wars story when the Kasdan father-son team writes the script. Hopefully they will write more Star Wars movie scripts and get teamed with solid directors that can properly realize their vision.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Say that to many in this thread regarding the prequels.
tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're welcome to like them, but they are objectively terrible. Don't worry, plenty of people like terrible things.
Farmer1906
AG
tamusc said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're welcome to like them, but they are objectively terrible. Don't worry, plenty of people like terrible things.

You're right. Just look at fast n furious series.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
tamusc said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Your use of the word objectively makes me think you do not know what the word means.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And yet, any time I've posted my rankings, it inevitably triggers a prequel debate.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS LOVES Solo and ranks it very highly on his rankings. I disagree pretty strongly, but who am I to tell him he's objectively wrong for having it above, RO, ROTJ, TFA, etc?

By the same token, I'm of the opinion that ROTJ has very serious issues and I'd put ROTS above it in my rankings. Nobody can tell me I'm wrong. (Though most do.)

Bottom line is that Star Wars fans are probably the most sensitive fans in the world and I wish people were more open to accepting other's opinions.

I liked TLJ and accept that many people hated it.

I mostly love the prequels and accept that most older fans hate them.

You'll never catch me saying someone is "objectively wrong" about liking or hating a certain Star Wars movie.

Ok, except the Holiday Special.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS LOVES Solo and ranks it very highly on his rankings. I disagree pretty strongly, but who am I to tell him he's objectively wrong for having it above, RO, ROTJ, TFA, etc?

By the same token, I'm of the opinion that ROTJ has very serious issues and I'd put ROTS above it in my rankings. Nobody can tell me I'm wrong. (Though most do.)

Bottom line is that Star Wars fans are probably the most sensitive fans in the world and I wish people were more open to accepting other's opinions.

I liked TLJ and accept that many people hated it.

I mostly love the prequels and accept that most older fans hate them.

You'll never catch me saying someone is "objectively wrong" about liking or hating a certain Star Wars movie.

Ok, except the Holiday Special.
Well, to your point, the prequels do have soooooo many levels of horrible about them but:
  • The story is relevant, not only to the prequels but also to the original trilogy.
  • There are lots of gems - story elements, set pieces, aliens that are pure and awesomely Star Wars
  • It tells a consistent story respectfully (if poorly) to the story elements (prequel and OT)

TFA and TLJ, not so much.
SeattleAgJr
California man builds 14-foot 'Star Wars' TIE fighter on his almond farm

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/california-man-14-foot-star-wars-tie-fighter/

He built the 14-foot TIE fighterwhich has a functioning driver's hatchusing a water ball tank and thousands of dollars worth of steel. The design is based off a large toy model, plus Gemperle's extensive knowledge of the Star Wars movies, which he's been passing on to his kids.

First Page Last Page
Page 714 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.