Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,926 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ani and Quo Gone:

Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

JJ will include a 5 second blurb about how the first order jammed transmissions from that planet and that's why they didn't get help.
It will be in the opening crawl. It'll explain how Leia put together a massive army that crushed Kylo Ren and the First Order in an epic an inspiring battle that happened off-screen. It'll go on to say that Kylo killed Leia in the battle and that, despondent, he turned his lightsaber upon himself and that peace has been restored in the galaxy. This will leave the next 2-3 hours to further explore the relationship between Rose, Finn, Rey and Poe. And yes, the movie theater employees would still have to mop the tears and jizz from under Spilner's seat.
boogieman
AG
9 will end with the NEW NEW Republic senate setting up trade agreements throughout the galaxy.
#ringthoery
jabberwalkie09
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Ani and Quo Gone:

jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DB Coach
AG
I happened to catch the end of Episode 3 last night on TNT or whatever channel was doing a Star Wars marathon, and it got me thinking (nerd-out here). How can Anakin be a force ghost when he clearly wasn't taught how? Qui Gon learned it and told Yoda. Yoda shared that with Obi Wan, who uses the knowledge in his final battle vs Vader. Luke presumably learned it while in exile from the ancient texts he's collected and so becomes one with the Force at the end of TLJ. But again, how did Anakin learn the way and become a force ghost?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Because that stuff about learning to do it was retconned in Ep 3, and it left a plot hole.

How does Leia remember Padme?
AliasMan02
AG
DB Coach said:

I happened to catch the end of Episode 3 last night on TNT or whatever channel was doing a Star Wars marathon, and it got me thinking (nerd-out here). How can Anakin be a force ghost when he clearly wasn't taught how? Qui Gon learned it and told Yoda. Yoda shared that with Obi Wan, who uses the knowledge in his final battle vs Vader. Luke presumably learned it while in exile from the ancient texts he's collected and so becomes one with the Force at the end of TLJ. But again, how did Anakin learn the way and become a force ghost?

It's a continuity issue, for sure.
redline248
AG
I would guess it was retconned because of people asking "why aren't there Sith force ghosts?"
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If they brought back Anakin, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Yoda in one scene, the cleaners are gonna have a bad time mopping up the floor below my seat, a mixture of tears and jizz.
So, typical Tuesday night?
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

I would guess it was retconned because of people asking "why aren't there Sith force ghosts?"

Originally the intent was certainly that every "good" Jedi became a Force Ghost.
TCTTS
AG
So, basically, Jedi Heaven.
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
That actually is pretty perfect
Pro Ag
AG
wangus12 said:

And already posted on the last page.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, how did I miss that?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

That was funny.
The Collective
AG
I lost it at redemption for Star Wars kid. BTW, is Star Wars boy the best thing to come out the prequels?
DB Coach
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

Originally the intent was certainly that every "good" Jedi became a Force Ghost.
Was it really retconned, though? It's obvious that Vader did not kill Obi Wan. What was the original explanation for it?
israeliag
AG
Can force ghosts go on forever, or is there an expiration date on them? For some reason in my head I always assumed they only had so many minutes ghosting before it ran out.
AliasMan02
AG
israeliag said:

Can force ghosts go on forever, or is there an expiration date on them? For some reason in my head I always assumed they only had so many minutes ghosting before it ran out.

In the old EU that was the case, as I remember. They eventually faded.

Now they are part of the Living Force and are essentially immortal, though one of the short stories about Qui Gon appearing to Obi Wan (after Luke ran off to check on Lars and Beru) I think talked about growing less and less concerned with the material works the longer he was removed from it.
redline248
AG
This is unknown. We've only had 4 Jedi ever that did it. Qui-Gon, Kenobi, Anakin and Yoda. Yoda has been dead for about 30 years at the time he shows up in Last Jedi.

I should say "possibly unknown"
AliasMan02
AG
DB Coach said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

Was it really retconned, though? It's obvious that Vader did not kill Obi Wan. What was the original explanation for it?

Vader did kill Obi Wan, but because of his training and preparation, his physical form vanished. As opposed to, say, Qui Gon, who had not mastered that aspect of the Force. He completed his mastery of it after his death.
AGGies0311
Was what Obi Wan did in A New Hope the same as what Luke did in the Last Jedi:?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This may be due to tricky editing, but I have always thought Obi-Wan's body disappeared a split second before getting sliced by Vader.

I think he "decided" to become one with the force similar to Luke in TLJ.
AliasMan02
AG
AGGies0311 said:

Was what Obi Wan did in A New Hope the same as what Luke did in the Last Jedi:?
I think essentially, yes. I also think that Luke died in TLJ, and didn't just transcend or whatever.
wangus12
AG
If you want to change to cover for your copy of TLJ

The Collective
AG
Do you have one with the dead porg that Chewie bbq'ed?
SeattleAgJr
wangus12 said:

If you want to change to cover for your copy of TLJ

is there something to change the content of the movie?
Ulrich
If there is a hi res version I will print it out poster sized and hang it in the game room.
agracer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If they brought back Anakin, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Yoda in one scene, the cleaners are gonna have a bad time mopping up the floor below my seat, a mixture of tears and jizz.
it would be almost as bad as Luke throwing his saber over his shoulder....only worse.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This may be due to tricky editing, but I have always thought Obi-Wan's body disappeared a split second before getting sliced by Vader.

Just watched on youtube and the cloak begins to fall literally at the moment the light saber makes contact. But from the top of the hood down. Man, for over 40 years ago it's a really well made scene with the cloak dropping just as the effects of the light saber reach it.

I remember wondering why/how the hood stayed on the whole time they were fighting. Obvious, it was required for the effect as it was shot from the side view.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This has always been my thought as well. I've never once thought Vader "killed" him.
redline248
AG
Interesting the way people see the same thing and have different takes. I always thought he was killed by Vader's saber. "If you strike me down..." and all that
First Page Last Page
Page 692 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.