Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,396 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There was no chosen one. Jedi were wrong.
twilly
AG
White Tiger Cub Born at Big Cat Sanctuary in Wylie

White tiger cub named "Kylo Ren"

Slow news day :-)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

While Zahra did clean Kylo off and did not exhibit aggression toward him
Give it time.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

While Zahra did clean Kylo off and did not exhibit aggression toward him
Give it time.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Rey And Kylo Ren's Connection
Rey very quickly seems to master the Force, a surprise considering how long it took Luke back in the original trilogy. Well, an explanation of sorts is provided here as we learn that Supreme Leader Snoke's decision to connect her mind with that of Kylo Ren resulted in some of the villain's knowledge and skills being imprinted on her brain, thereby making her at least a little more capable.

redline248
AG
Quote:

While Rey wasn't conceived without a father the way Anakin Skywalker supposedly was, it's revealed that her powers came as a result of the Cosmic Force, a.k.a. the will of the universe. That fell dormant once the Sith were defeated but reemerged once Luke went into exile and it became clear that the Galaxy needed a new protector. This goes some way in explaining why Rey is so powerful.

sigh
Flashdiaz
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Rey very quickly seems to master the Force, a surprise considering how long it took Luke back in the original trilogy. Well, an explanation of sorts is provided here as we learn that Supreme Leader Snoke's decision to connect her mind with that of Kylo Ren resulted in some of the villain's knowledge and skills being imprinted on her brain, thereby making her at least a little more capable.

so, she downloaded skills

The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

So, Rey can thank a man for her power. Yes!!!
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

While Rey wasn't conceived without a father the way Anakin Skywalker supposedly was, it's revealed that her powers came as a result of the Cosmic Force, a.k.a. the will of the universe. That fell dormant once the Sith were defeated but reemerged once Luke went into exile and it became clear that the Galaxy needed a new protector. This goes some way in explaining why Rey is so powerful.

sigh

May not be my favorite thing either, but that is perfectly in line with canon from a dozen different sources, movies included.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some great stuff in that novelization, apparently.
TV Casualty
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

The problem is that it still leaves Kylo Ren weak by comparison and doesn't provide Rey with a formidable villain to struggle against. She had to save him from Snoke's guards and then easily escaped.

What's left for Rey to fear at this point when she can seemingly defeat Ren whenever she wants to?
amercer
AG
So she is the chosen one.
Flashdiaz
AG
TV Casualty said:

TCTTS said:

Quote:

The problem is that it still leaves Kylo Ren weak by comparison and doesn't provide Rey with a formidable villain to struggle against. She had to save him from Snoke's guards and then easily escaped.

What's left for Rey to fear at this point when she can seemingly defeat Ren whenever she wants to?

She beat him twice and didn't deliver a kiling blow to finally end it.
He has a soft spot for her and won't kill her or let her die.
So there's only one thing left for them to do, it's to dingadangdongtheirdangalonglinglong.
israeliag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

the discussion about Luke and the comparison to King Arthur and other classic heroes after their hero journey has completed is terrific:

Also reminds me of Paul Atreides in the books after the first Dune.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Once. They didn't fight in TLJ.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was probably my favorite bit of the whole panel.

Also, Mark's hilarious bit @ 43:15 about holo Luke growing enormous and attacking the at-at's.
Dro07
AG
Quote:

Rose was something of a divisive character in The Last Jedi but the book fleshes out her history, specifically with her sister Paige. We learn more about their family history on Otomok (which was ravaged by The First Order) and Rose frequently mentions Paige, giving her a larger role in the story as a result.

LuLz kEwL!
The Collective
AG
Went to preorder TLJ blu-ray this morning, and I notice the film is being panned in those user reviews as well (Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc). The Internet is relentless.
Hagen95
AG
Fear the wrath of a scorned fanboy.
AgMarauder04
AG
dromo07 said:

Quote:

Rose was something of a divisive character in The Last Jedi but the book fleshes out her history, specifically with her sister Paige. We learn more about their family history on Otomok (which was ravaged by The First Order) and Rose frequently mentions Paige, giving her a larger role in the story as a result.

LuLz kEwL!
Why are they so damned determined to push Rose?
Pro Ag
AG
I feel like it's what most creative folks do when people don't like their stuff. I've seen it in musicians, film makers, and artists.

If someone doesn't like what they have created, it's that individual's fault and they just need to explain it more. Someone associated with TLJ felt Rose was (or is) key to the bigger story and because there was some sort of outcry, they need to fight back against that.

Talking out of the other side of my mouth, the internet makes this worse. The overall percentage of fans/viewers that have the true disdain for Rose is small compared to the whole. It just drives clicks and discussions (like us here).
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Because you stamp your card for two diversity stickers at one time.

It's like when A&M used to have the "Welcome to Texas A&M" video for freshmen in the 1990s with the sorority girl, the corps guy the Asian guy and the black girl in a wheelchair. The girl in the wheelchair was a triple-stamp, Ray Bowen must have felt like he had won the lotto when he saw her at the auditions.
redline248
AG
True story (as told to me and the rest of a class by an A&M professor): When A&M was hiring the women's bball coach prior to Gary Blair, Blair was actually a candidate. Peggie Gillom was hired because she was a woman, and black. 2 birds with one stone, and all.
israeliag
AG
I finally rewatched TLJ last night and boy do I really really like this movie. This was only the second watch for me but the script really stood out this time with some great lines, key themes it kept going back to, meta call outs to the audience, interesting hero arcs for Finn and Poe, and surprisingly successful connections of the PT and OT. Heck, and I'm sure some here will sigh about this, but even the Holdo/Poe dynamic stood out to me as well done this go around. I originally had thought Holdo made a huge error in being so unforthcoming and was just swinging her dick around, but now I see her as that gruff General that dresses down her subordinates who don't fall in line. I still think she ultimately made a mistake by not including the right people in her plan, but I get where she's coming from.

And what makes this film so great in my eyes, and why I'm certain it's going to get better with age, is that it's ultimately a character driven story with the main theme being "mistakes". Its also part of the reason I think so many people feel so negatively about the film - it's not an easy pill to swallow when you expect a light popcorn blockbuster. But just about everyone in and around this story f's up and they (and us as the audience) have to reflect on the consequences of those errors and ultimately grow from them (literally the mirror cave sequence). The Jedi Orders mistakes in allowing the Sith and Empire to rise, Luke's failure in raising the next gen of Jedis, Holdos failure to keep the fleet and her subordinates intact and inline, Finn and Roses failed mission, Poe's (he gets a few), Rey's mistaken belief she could change Kylo for the better. It's a tragic story with enough redemption and growth to give us a spark of hope at the end.

I'm going to have to read the script itself since this is a movie that sits with me long after watching.
TCTTS
AG
It looks like I'm somehow getting this a few days early. Anyone else? Pre-ordered via Best Buy...

boogieman
AG
Nice! Mine will barely ship today.
Small chance I get it Monday, like Thor.
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02
AG
I'd heard good things about Jason Fry's novelization of TLJ, and just started the audio book yesterday. So far, it's great. There's a prelude and a couple of chapters before we even get to the opening of the movie. Fills in a lot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mine shipped a few days ago, supposedly, but no idea when it gets here. Ordered on Disney.
Pro Ag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I'd heard good things about Jason Fry's novelization of TLJ, and just started the audio book yesterday. So far, it's great. There's a prelude and a couple of chapters before we even get to the opening of the movie. Fills in a lot.

Interesting. I enjoy most of the books, however I have stayed away from the novelizations of the movies as I think they should stand on their own.
AliasMan02
AG
Pro Ag said:

AliasMan02 said:

Interesting. I enjoy most of the books, however I have stayed away from the novelizations of the movies as I think they should stand on their own.
I agree, and I'd say this info (so far) is all EXTRA material, like the rest of the new expanded canon. Not something required to appreciate the movies, but with value.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 689 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.