Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,446 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MGS said:

So, how do they have A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing and X-Wing fighters when they don't use the Latin alphabet?
Because they still speak English
cbr
AG
I guess I don't really care what a male lead looks like generally, but that frumpy soft tub of jello with a pouty face is about as far from Han Solo as you could ever get and still be a white guy.
CapCityAg89
AG
MGS said:

So, how do they have A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing and X-Wing fighters when they don't use the Latin alphabet?

TCTTS
AG
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TLJ just overtook both The Dark Knight and Rogue One to take the #6 spot on the all-time domestic list.

It's actually kind of crazy that Rogue One was that high on the list to begin with.
But RO was a better Star Wars movie.

TLJ is just now opening in China, and is predicted to do much worse there than TFA, and even RO. It is even going to come in second place to during its opening weekend, even though it is on more screens than the #1 movie.

Per Hollywood Reporter, The Last Jedi brought in $560,000 from midnight screenings, which is not even in the same ballpark of Episode VII's $2.5 million.
The film will come in second place this weekend to a comedy that has already been opened for a week.

twilly
AG
Leaked LEGO sets give details about SOLO Movie

It also confirms that the yellow SOLO image floating around is being used for the LEGO Box Art

Images in link

75207 Imperial Patrol Battle Pack
75209 Han Solo Landspeeder
75210 Landspeeder
75211 Imperial TIE Fighter
75212 Kessel Run Millennium Falcon

wesag
AG
Beat40 said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Actually, my immediate thought upon reading your post was curiosity that it was going to end up beating out two movies who had WAY better audience scores than it did.
I don't care about audience scores. Most Star Wars fans are their own worst enemy. TFA, TLJ, and any subsequent Star Wars movie will never be allowed to be a good movie. Too many people live in the world of the OT and will always stay there.

Allowed to be good? What are you talking about? The Force Awakens was a retread and people called it that. Speaking what you perceive as a correct criticism doesn't mean not allowing it to be good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star Wars finally knocked out of first place this weekend. Looks like it's third place with $23M, behind Jumanji and Insidious. Should bring it up to $571M domestic.

Starting to peter our fairly quickly now, looking like it might finish in the mid $600's, around Jurassic World. (#3-4 all time.)

And as mentioned, not doing so hot in China.

Should still be able to clear $1.3B worldwide, but probably not $1.5.
amercer
AG
The Chinese market is weird. TFA wasn't that big there because no one had seen the original SW. You would think the sequel would do better. And I don't think it has anything to do with the criticisms of the film, as actually terrible action movies make huge money there.
The Collective
AG
I think these numbers are about what you might expect from SW. TFA was a special case.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

to be fair.....

Star Wars in 1977 - $307 million (in original release, re-releases netted another $157M in later years)
Empire Strikes Back in 1980 - $209 million

So ESB widely considered a better movie and did significantly worse than SW despite ticket prices being higher 3 years later (2.23 vs. 2.69 avg.)

I'm not suggesting TLJ is better I'm just saying historically there is a falloff for 2nd movies in trilogies even in SW.

The Collective
AG
Look forward to the Solo teaser, because I have next to zero hype. But, Lucasfilm is great at erasing that with promotional material.

Edit, I had similar feelings about Rogue One, and they had some great trailers for that one.
The Collective
AG
So, force projection and jedi ghost nerd question / observation. My son re-watched CW over the last few months. I caught the tail end of season 6 last night. In it, Yoda goes to Sith planet (Moraband), I guess this is part of a trial that allows him to be a force ghost later and/or communicate with Jedi who have passed. Palpatine and Dooku do some kind of ritual to project an image of Sifo dyas (sp) to Yoda and communicate with him. Do we think this is similar to the power Luke used in TLJ? I suppose another example would be when Yoda appears to Ezra in the Jedi Temple on Rebels.

Also, it is mentioned only some Jedi can communicate with past Jedi, but it seems like it is expected that all can now. Seems odd.
redline248
AG
I can't remember exactly the thing with Syfo Dyas, so won't answer that.

The thing Yoda does with Ezra had some other element involved, didn't it? Like Ezra was on a dream or found some artifact or something?

I don't think we should expect all Jedi to be able to become force ghosts. Yoda was the first to learn about it and Ben was the first to accomplish. Presumably Luke would have spent the last 30 years learning how to do it, but who else is there to learn? All the students Kylo killed probably can't do it.
Liquid Wrench
Yoda said he had been communicating with Qui Gon, remember? I don't remember the exact line but it was something about new developments in the force. Surely someone remembers this?

I would take it to mean that not all Jedi became one with the force, or at least hadn't in the past.

TXAG 05
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Yoda said he had been communicating with Qui Gon, remember? I don't remember the exact line but it was something about new developments in the force. Surely someone remembers this?

I would take it to mean that not all Jedi became one with the force, or at least hadn't in the past.

Yes. At the end of ROTS, when Yoda and Obi Wan are talking about going into hiding, Yoda tells him that Qui-Gon has found a way to return from the dead to communicate with them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be clear, it's not "just talk".

The movie has been rumored for months and Lucasfilm has not shot down the rumors. The movie is even slated to start production in January 2019 and they have a director picked out.

They wouldn't go this far into pre-production without locking in Ewan McGregor first. There is approximately 0% chance he's not already cast. He just can't say anything yet.

Expect an official announcement some time after Solo comes out.
VanZandt92
BernArnold said:

to be fair.....

Star Wars in 1977 - $307 million (in original release, re-releases netted another $157M in later years)
Empire Strikes Back in 1980 - $209 million

So ESB widely considered a better movie and did significantly worse than SW despite ticket prices being higher 3 years later (2.23 vs. 2.69 avg.)

I'm not suggesting TLJ is better I'm just saying historically there is a falloff for 2nd movies in trilogies even in SW.

There are some polls on Jedi forums suggesting the original Star Wars is considered a more popular movie. I think one of the polls had maybe 1500 respondents.
The Collective
AG
There is an entry on wookiepedia that describes Yoda's encounter with Darth Bane (I must have missed this segment). Force illusion is "a force ability that allows the user to generate illusions toward other people". Isn't this what Luke did? If so, it is certainly already in canon well before TLJ, just not introduced in the films until this point. Seems interesting.
twilly
AG
VanZandt92
twilly said:

I'm pumped.

Not that I want to perseverate, but is this a Rian Johnson film? No need for discussion on that.
hurleyag
AG
Ron Howard*
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Starting to lose steam pretty quickly, looks like it might fall below the pace of Jurassic World in the next few days.

At this point in the chart, it's easier to appreciate just how insane the runs were for Avatar and Titanic. Those are some serious legs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Worldwide is up to $1.2B, still at #3 for the year behind Beauty and the Best and Fast 8. But, should be overtaking both of those this week.

What's crazy is it's still almost $400M behind Fast 8's international total. That franchise is just insanely popular around the world.
The Collective
AG
twilly said:

GMA, exactly how they dropped Rogue One, right? FTR, here was the Rogue One teaser:
twilly
AG
If my memory is correct, I think you are right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
To be completely honest, for months now, I think I've actually been looking forward to Solo more than I was even TLJ. I know the potential floor is so much lower for the former, but something about that old school Star Wars vibe meets what seems to be a slight Guardians of the Galaxy flare just has me so excited. That, and I truly miss Star Wars in the summer and this may be the last time we ever get it. So this trailer is either going to send my excitement into hyperspeed or sober me up completely, and I'm so curious to see which.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Your attitude towards Star Wars seems to be such a crazy swing in either direction.

A few days before TLJ you were calling for it to be a possible Best Picture Oscar nominee, after watching TLJ you were basically over Star Wars and said it was delusional to expect anything other than "McDonald's" from the franchise going forward, and now you're hyped about the Solo movie. (Which personally, I still cannot get excited for.)

Not a criticism, just very interesting to me.
Farmer1906
AG
Seems like your average Aggie fan. We trail 10 at halftime and we want to fire Kennedy. We end up winning a blowout and we're going to the final four.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great point, actually.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, that Solo image I posted last week seems to be legit.

Farmer1906
AG
Only a couple days late. Twilly covered it several posts up on this page.
First Page Last Page
Page 657 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.